1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Vr Survey

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Digital Draftsman, Feb 19, 2019.

?
  1. Use my existing VR equipment to play.

15 vote(s)
    21.1%
  2. Purchase VR equipment to enjoy the newly supported VR.

11 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. Be indifferent and continue to enjoy the game in 2D.

45 vote(s)
    63.4%
  1. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

After reading several threads discussing VR, one point was made several times which was that not many people have VR and thus there is little point even trying to cater for it. This led me to wonder whether this is a chicken and egg scenario and people may actually buy VR equipment to play TSW if TSW supported it.

DTG are a long way from implementing VR as the game currently suffers from poor optimisation even in 2D, but for the purposes of this poll, let's assume that DTG has managed to solve the optimisation issues with TSW and presented a version which is suitable for VR.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  2. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

I voted as indifferent, but if all the short comings of VR, especially the resolution, I might be inclined to use my VR gear with TSW.

Even in my flight sims, (P3D, XPlane) I will use VR when flying circuits to practice my pattern work or learn a new aircraft, but revert to 2D for my cross country flights for a couple of reasons, the first being the aforementioned resolution problems to adjust my avionics and the second is that I like outside views for sight-seeing.

I would assume my approach would be the same in a train sim, use VR when I would want the full immersion of a first person view like when shunting and local industry work and back to 2D for the sight seeing runs.

But as you suggested, many more features, bug fixes and refinements for TSW are on my wishlist before the inclusion of VR.

3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Honestly not bothered about VR. VR in itself is still premature and has its own set of issues that need sorting out.

Wait until it is widely used in the gaming community first at least until it can be used appropriately in a Simulator.

A Track IR or something similar which tracks your head movement would be a nice implementation.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  4. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I’m not at all interested in Vr.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  5. Sintbert

Sintbert Active Member

I would not buy any of the current VR-Headsets. They still have a far to low resolution for my taste.

6. Digital Draftsman

Looks like a we can put the VR debate to bed for a couple of years at least. As people have said, there are plenty of 'standard' features (steam locomotives, editor, etc) missing from TSW which have been present in all the big train sim titles of the past, so it's clear where DTG's focus should be.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  7. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Active Member

Does VR require good vision in both eyes? I have no idea how it works and have never tried it. I'm legally blind in my left eye, about 20/200 vision. Just wondering if I could even take advantage of it. I can't enjoy binoculars or 3D movies, etc.

8. Sintbert

Sintbert Active Member

For bad vision you can get special lenses for most models or go to an good optometrist and he can make you lenses exactly for your vision.
    In your case with a very bad eye, it would just be in 2D. You still get all the motion tracking and such stuff.
    You can go watch a 3D movie with one bad eye, you just don' get any benefit since you still see it in 2D.

9. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Active Member

My bad eye is not a vision problem, it is a communication problem between my eye and brain, eye doctors cannot correct the problem with lenses. The only thing they can do is magnify the view my bad eye gets as much as possible, which just makes everything larger and slightly easier to see, but it creates a huge lens on one side of my glasses, it isn't worth the trouble.

I suppose I'll just have to try a VR headset somewhere and see how it works for me.

10. ksandy501

ksandy501 New Member

I have the Pimax 5K and it’s a game changer in all respects. Amazing FOV and crisp resolution. Believe me when I say that TWS needs to sort their LOVE out soon as you’re being left behind. Bit of a joke really.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  11. KiwiLE

KiwiLE Active Member

Left behind by what?

12. PlatChap

PlatChap Active Member

I don't know. None of that made much sense.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  13. Lombra

Lombra Member

Curious as to what you think the other shortcomings of VR are.

Resolution is still largely an issue, yes. I guess FoV, too. I don't think there are any other issues that apply to seated simulation VR.

VR is used successfully in plenty of simulators.

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  14. byeo

byeo Active Member

VR doesn’t interest me one bit.

• Upvote Upvote x 2
  15. Scorpion71

Scorpion71 Member

I'd love to see VR in TSW but don't think we ever will. Codemasters didn't implement VR in their Dirt Rally 2.0 release, although did in DR1, however, due to high demand and paid for by Oculus, VR will be in DR2 in the Summer for the Oculus headset only.

I use VR for Project Cars 2 and believe me, it's a whole game changer, especially with my wheel and pedals, I could NEVER go back to a standard 2D racing game.

I also have Derail Valley, what an amazing difference in cab experience is! If Derail Valley becomes big and takes off and they start releasing UK stuff then that would be the only sim for me!

• Upvote Upvote x 1
  16. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Active Member

im hoping Derail valley come on to consoles. i've been watching DR on Youtube and looks like fun to me. dosen't seem to get boring like TSW dose with repetitive play

17. Digital Draftsman

Derail Valley is a great game. The developers are great at listening to feedback and keeping everyone up to date with the frequent new builds. I bought it perhaps 7 or 8 weeks ago and it's gone from build #45 to build #66 in that time, so it's frequently being updated.

It's interesting because although the graphics are not as good as TSW, it's still far more immersive. The gameplay is also great fun and implemented in such a way as to not interfere with the experience. All the instructions are on documents in the game, there's no HUD with destination markers, you follow the instructions in the job documents and then at the end submit them for assessment. 22 Hours in and I'm still interested, despite the single map which is included in Early Access.

Whilst Derail Valley is an Early Access game, there's a hell of a lot DTG could learn from the game itself as well as from the developers. I should also mentition that Derail Valley has been created by a team of just five people.

Even if you don't have any VR, the standard 2D version is still great fun to play.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    • Upvote Upvote x 2
  18. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

How do their financials look?
    (trollface ;) )

• Upvote Upvote x 5
  19. Digital Draftsman

Very funny! ;)

• Upvote Upvote x 1