PC Speculation: Goodbye Editor?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Alex656, Jan 2, 2020.

1. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I don't need an English lesson thanks!

And it was hyperbole like many statements on here.

We have had yet another confirmation that the editor is still being developed and yet people cannot still let it go!

2. theorganist

I agree with that. I would probably only use it for scenario creation but it would be good to see some established third party developers getting on board to give more variety for of routes and stock.

However there have been some excellent freeware routes made for TS1 so it would be good to see a full set released eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  3. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

Well apparently yes. I've said it in my very first post in this thread that its title (still without a question mark then) is "jumping to conclusions."
    Later reminding people of DTG's history of broken promises does not change that. Anything else was primarily directed at the faction claiming that TSW has no need for an editor for this and this reason.

• Like Like x 1
  4. solon

solon Active Member

Hello Steve,

if you read my thread last year about a roadmap (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/a-roadmap-for-train-sim-world-in-2020.19632/) It is a problem of communication, or rather of no-communication, which brings this confusing situation where everything and anything is said about Train Sim World. Knowing how far are you about TSW, what are the objectives for 2020, what are the challenges too, would be much better to make us want to invest in TSW. Sorry for my bad English, but understand that it is important to communicate about the future of TSW, and not only when a new DLC is released.

I wish you all the best for this new year, and hope that the development of TSW will be more ambitious too. :)

• Like Like x 6
  5. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

I know. I'm just frustrated because I'm really passionate about train simming and I really wanted to be part of the TSW dev team; but despite having experience as a manager in real world railway engineering as well as professionally producing DLC for Railworks/TS20xx over the years, I didn't even receive an interview for the positions I applied for. I was really disappointed as I thought I could contribute a lot and I was pretty excited at the prospect of being able to help develop the next generation of train simulator. But it wasn't to be!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  6. Digital Draftsman.
    In each of your posts, your technical competence is evident.;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Vlado64

Vlado64 New Member

Without the editor there is no life for me :)
    editor.jpg

• Like Like x 12
  8. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Yeah it a big huge part is missing now. I don't want to just drive. I want to do my own consist (train) Place it where I want.
    And maybe test to do my own route here in Sweden. I don't Dovetail ever will do Swedish routes, but it we get the Editor we can do it ourselves.
    it really feels like we have put a lot of pressure on dovetail these past few months so they know how important this is for us Pc owners

• Like Like x 3
  9. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

As a console user myself I've often wandered if this was the possible delay to the editor.

It's not entirely that the consoles can't use the editor the problem may be that, as you say they, also can't directly access the user created output from the editor either. Perhaps the editor is ready(ish) but DTG are trying to come up with a solution to that problem. They wouldn't want the user base to fragment too much - they now have common DLC release dates for instance - they'd ideally want everything available to everyone.

Although I myself understand why there will be the lack of a full blown editor on console it could be seen that one platform being given an additional FREE full featured addition that will enhance the enjoyment of those who use it without the other platforms having something to tinker with might imbalance things also. Especially since they pay the same money for everything.
    Perhaps DTG are developing something additional for console (scenario editor?), so perhaps that might be holding things up also.

TSW isn't TS, like it or not the console release changes things.

Disclaimer - Since I have no proof, as TS Steve says above, I could be talking rubbish. :)

10. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I'm fairly certain the editor will never be available on consoles. I'd hope that creators on PC or Mac would be able to use the editor the way they can use the UE editor, but having that functionality on consoles, I suspect, would be virtually impossible.

The issue with distributing user-created content is one they'd be keen to solve, though. It may be that all DLC will need to be released through DTG in order to appear as a legit add-on on the PS Store etc. If that were to be the case, there would almost certainly need to be some level of quality control, so simple reskin packs or the sort of simple-but-fun content that non-pro developers might come up with, simply wouldn't make the cut. How they pitch that divide between controlled consoles and PC free-for-all remains to be seen, which may be why they're currently just dealing with a few limited, proven dev houses for now.

11. It could be.
    However in the past DTG has repeatedly stated that the editor will only be developed for pc users. Also, I think consoles have pretty strict rules about Mods.
    On PCs there are people who manage to pirate almost everything.

12. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

As I said I understand* that the full blown editor is a no no for console, not least because that I presume it'll be Windows only. Mind you with mouse support enabled in theory the consoles could run anything - within limitations obviously. They are only computing devices after all.

Yes my thoughts entirely.

Another problem unfortunately. Sony in particular are very fussy about what's available.

* There will be those that don't though! Hence possible problems.

• Like Like x 1
  13. DigitalRails

DigitalRails Member

mine is just 30 minutes of tsw
    last played a year ago

14. nyswat19

nyswat19 Member

Well i really hope a Editor do come out! and just delayed! This really breaks my heart. Real Train Sim but not alive :(

• Like Like x 2
  15. Alex656

Alex656 Member

I am only returning to this discussion now.
    It was not my intention to question Jorgen's claim, I simply asked where he had read his information and got an answer; I don't think I have to apologize for this. Thanks anyway to Jorgen for the reply

In any case, I made a clear provocation with this thread and it seems to me that it served to get answers.
    Maybe one day we will have the editor, maybe not, at least the staff gave us an answer (on the other discussions that I linked at the beginning it had not happened).

16. Alex656

Alex656 Member

I completely agree!

• Like Like x 2
  17. Alex656

Alex656 Member

While we are told: "The reason you've not heard anything is because there really isn't anything to tell you" i see a roadmap like this :
    [​IMG]
    I think it would be more correct behavior towards those who have been waiting for years and ask for information; once we were informed with the diary developer update, now instead ............ "there really isn't anything to tell you"

• Like Like x 4
  18. Digital Draftsman

Digital Draftsman Well-Known Member

DTG posted this development roadmap just the other day:
    upload_2020-1-22_21-36-51.png

• Like Like x 30
  19. Alex656

Alex656 Member

Oh my god :love::love:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Editor in April confirmed then ? :D

• Like Like x 4
  21. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

Good joke Digital Draftsman !

Some roadmap will be really usefull information, but such info is only internal because development projects are running.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Yeah April 1st. No one has ever pulled a prank on that day :)

• Like Like x 1
  23. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Yeah, whoever still believes in the editor must be getting paid by DTG to say that. I still say the editor was never a thing and they were blowing smoke up our A-double snakes.

24. Mr T

Mr T Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn't go that far. We know there is an editor as it was shown on an editor stream in December 2018. The issue with the editor shown back then is it would only load uncooked content so isn't suitable for end users. We have heard MattP (developer) recently say on Discord the editor is still being worked on and what he says I would consider trustworthy. Unfortunately, that's all we know so the rest of the information about it like implementation timing and content distribution methods is all suppositional at this stage.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  25. theorganist

Well I am still awaiting my cheque then! So you are saying Matt and others are lying basically?

26. jörgen Näslund

I Trust Matt and many other. They say they are developing the editor.
    But if Dovetail working 1 hour (one person) each month on editor. They still working on editor. so they do not lie, but almost
    But it takes 10 year before they are finished with it.
    So we need to have proof the working on it more seriously.
    And we are probably many who feel that now they need to show it again.
    It is over a year ago they show it or write more about this editor now.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  27. theorganist

I agree a visual update would be good to see, however I think there would still be some not willing or wanting to believe it.

It isn't usual for companies to play their cards close to their chest, as someone involved in purchasing I see it a lot, maybe DTG do it more than some..

28. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

Digital Draftsman ran them over with his Class 08 with that photo. lol

29. Ding

Ding Member

While I still believe that most people who constantly demand the editor being released won't be able to do anything with it once its there, I agree that an annual (or quarterly, whatever) roadmap would be nice.

This way the players could see what DLC/additions/features for the game are being worked on - or are planned - and so they can look forward to it. It would create a bit of anticipation within the community which would be nice to have!

• Like Like x 2
  30. thearkerportian

thearkerportian Well-Known Member

I'm definitely not planning to use the editor myself. Nonetheless it is THE most important missing feature, no contest.

• Like Like x 4
  31. LT586

LT586 Well-Known Member

There’s a lot of putting each other down here culture; needs to stop. We can all do what we choose, and an editor I hope for just because we have a large community of talented people. Some positive uplift would be nice to see for once instead of putting people down. The editor will enable people to spend longer developing and shaping a route. I look forward to the tools at hand.

• Like Like x 6
  32. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

For the vast majority of users the ability to create scenarios for their existing routes and to access scenarios created by other users will be the primary benefit.

• Like Like x 9
  33. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Ill get plenty of use from it, using other player made scenarios ;)

I personally don't think its coming, a pipe dream if you will. Id love to be proven otherwise.
    They can reach out to consoles now with TSW so thats their goal, more console content sales. The editor will never be an option on that front

Can you imagine the outcry of console users screaming for editor use after released? Therein lies the issue of development on more than PC

• Like Like x 1
  34. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

Of course the editor is coming.

• Like Like x 1
  35. It was said from the outset that the editor would only be developed for pc users.
    Source=DTG (for what it's worth ...).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  36. theorganist

Explain why they keep re-iterating it is then?

37. Factor41

I think everyone on console would fully understand that the editor will never be directly available on that device. Nobody would expect a Playstation version of the UE4 editor.

The issue is whether they will be able to access user-created content and what the delivery mechanism for that might be. It could end up that the PC DLC landscape is a free-for-all mish mash of variable quality, the same way it is with TS2020, and just the highest quality content will be picked up and released through the PS Store by DTG. Console users are generally used to – and expect – a polished DLC experience, so I doubt most of the little test routes and scenarios that people think they're going to create if the editor ever arrives will have a place there anyway.

• Like Like x 3
  38. Schnauzahpowahz

Until theres an official announcement, ill sit firmly with my statement. Itd be great to see the editor, bc personally for me, theres not enough reason to keep coming back to TSW for now.

Theres speculation and loose talk... and there are facts.

• Like Like x 3
  39. theorganist

It isn't speculation that the editor is still being worked, it has been confirmed by DTG, the "loose talk" is from people saying that it isn't coming, despite DTG confirming it is. As for facts, most of what is stated on here is opinion relevant to that persons viewpoint. The "editor isn't coming" statements are not fact!

I very much want to see the editor, but I don't see it as the be all and end all, I can live without it, certainly for now.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  40. Schnauzahpowahz

I guess noones entitled to their opinion :(

It doesnt exist til it exists.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  41. Factor41

You're absolutely right. Until you're wrong.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Schnauzahpowahz

:) indeed

• Like Like x 1
  43. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It does exist, it’s just not released yet. :)

44. Schnauzahpowahz

Well, publicly.

Also, im not saying any of this with malice, just objective. I want the editor more than anything. Im just a "believe it when i see it" type. Unless aliens... i know they exist :o

• Like Like x 3
  45. theorganist

Who said no-one is entitled to their opinion? I was just giving my opinion which is to say the "editor isn't happening" despite repeated assurances, is just loose talk, as you put it.

Anyway this is all just going round in circles, those who want to peddle this line that the editor isn't happening will continue to do so until they have it on their system, then they will find something else to focus on.

46. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

We can only believe it when we see it as we’ve not been given anything to change our minds. Anything to prove us wrong other than “we’re working on it” would be welcome.

47. Schnauzahpowahz

Yeah but you kinda sound like you take it personally and are angry. Cheer up bud. Just pixelated trains

• Like Like x 2
  48. jörgen Näslund

This tread will never end....... It was calm for a while, then it starts to burn again

49. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Source on the repeated assurances? The only assurance that we've gotten is a video from more than a year ago, and since then just 1 statement phrases on Discord saying "We Have No News to Report on the Editor at the Time." I think it's reasonable to assume some doubt on the editor since we have not seen any evidence at all that something is being worked on. Not even a single image or a developer diary of any sort. Surely in the span of 390+ days there has got to be at least SOMETHING to show us, especially if it's in development as you claim.

• Like Like x 4
  50. theorganist

It was confirmed it was still in development on these very forums just before Christmas by DTG representatives.

I am perfectly cheerful, I don't spend all day obsessing whether an editor for said pixellated trains is happening or not, I am enjoying TSW as it is ;)

• Like Like x 2