British Rolling Stock Sounds

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Rob39, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Something becoming increasingly noticeable during my time with loco hauled stock on UK routes, is the overbearing sound of the trailing load when in or looking directly at the drivers cab.
    Ive watched footage of driver cab rides with similar stock ie intermodal on 66 vs GWE intermodal. Whilst Im sure the is a sense of weight and maybe a rumble from behind. The engine would surely take priority, and not the clattering bogies. When compared to TSXX the issue isnt apparent, and it cant even be a TSW game issue, as when running German freight on MSB, RRO and RSN the sound balance is similar to TSxx and the real life cab rides.
    Its also noticed from an outside camera seeing an oncoming train, ie a pair of 31s with cement. The engines start to fade in nicely then the view is immediately hit with a wall of PCA sound, that spoils the experience. This wouldn't be such a big deal if only watching a pass externally, but the loudness of the trailing load comes through to the cab when driving. My take on it is that the engine, coach wagon sound balance needs to be tweaked.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Tonto62

Tonto62 Well-Known Member

I've noticed this with the cement train. I stood on Thornaby station watching trains and the steel trains sounded fine but the sound of the cement wagons suddenly appears when they get within a certain distance. As the train passes, the volume drops until at a certain distance, the sound completely stops. It spoils the effect, I hope it can be fixed with an update.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Used to do it with the GWE HST and 66. Havent noticed it of late with the HST, but the GWE containers and TVL PCAs do overwhelm the engine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

The oncoming train sounds have defo seen improvements with Feb DLC updates. Still alot of rattling going on in the 66 cabs for GWE freight. Having every FKA HKA make flat wheel sounds on the trailing loads probably dosent help.
    Reminds me of this when a train comes along 28 seconds in
    When in reality its this.
    (Note the licenced containers rro?)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Tonto62

Thanks Rob, I'll have a listen later.

6. Tonto62

I spawned at Thornaby station and watched two trains leaving Tees Yard, passing the camera and disappearing under the bridge. The first was a 37 hauled coal train. The sounds were excellent, the volume built up gradually and faded away slowly and only completely stopped when the train disappeared under the bridge. Second was a 31 hauled cement train. I heard the locomotives first, volume built nicely then suddenly, the wagon sound started like your shopping trolley video above. The sounds remained constant while the train passed, faded slightly as it went away but suddenly stopped long before the train reached the bridge. Maybe they don't know about it so I'm going to send a ticket. They probably have other priorities anyway. Fingers crossed they fix it because it's a real immersion killer.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Tonto62

I got a response from the ticket I sent regarding the sudden onset and decay of the cement train sounds on the Tees Valley route. Unreal engine is to blame due to it's limited number of sound channels. They are hoping these issues will be resolved when they move to a newer version. I have read elsewhere that when Unreal engine runs out of channels, the first sound to disappear is the quietest. Not so in this case as the cement wagons are the loudest thing in the Tees Valley! Anyway, thanks to Daniel for the quick response.

8. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Yeah 32 channels. Could do with prioritising engines then perhaps. Maybe less ambient stuff going on.

9. Tonto62

Maybe it's something to do with the 31, it doesn't happen with the 37. The 31 might use a lot of sound channels, there was that issue with the engine sound disappearing early on. We'll just have to put up with it I suppose.

10. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

The 31 sound was an unrelated bug I believe, with it only affecting certain loco numbers. The noise fades in and out on the German routes just fine with long, heavy consists. Also the German locos dont have the trailing load come through the cab. If the louder sound takes priority over the quieter one. Make the Loco,loudest, and the wagons much quieter. As they are irl.
    That might be a worthwhile test. 31 scenario where you pull steel coil wagons. If it is that the pca’s are too loud then this scenario will show it?

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

“Last resort” scenario test complete. Saved mid run, so that I could watch from different spots. Positioned my camera at some of the noisiest locations on the route, by traffic, by furnaces at South Bank. 31 with Steel flat wagons performs abdolutely fine, fades in and out beautifully. So I can only conclude that any TSW loco having the unnatural sound of wagons coming through the cab or overpowering the passing engine noise. Its not the loco, locos fine. The wagons are too loud.
    GWE Containers and Hoppers
    TVL. PCA tanks.
    ECW. JNA wagons
    On further driving the NTP mk2 coaches whilst not to the extent of the wagons mentioned above also have this overbearing element to them.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Tonto62

Nice bit of research Rob. So as far as the Tees Valley is concerned, it's the cement wagons, too loud and no fade in or out. How insufficient sound channels causes that is a bit of a mystery to me, but I'm not an IT professional.

13. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

A large amount of moving parts making sounds per wagon? I don't believe that is the case though. The oncoming train for example being a diesel at full throttle coming towards you and as it gets nearer that sound is drowned by the thunder/clattering of whats behind it. Thats not a lack of channels, thats an imbalance.
    Why would a lack of channels cause more noise in a drivers cab? The engine and the wagons?
    If you have MSB RSN theres some long freight trains on that route. Yet the in cab and passing sounds are on point. Despite all the additional ambient noises.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tonto62

It needs looking at for sure but I've put a ticket in and you've created a thread about it on the official forum. What else can we do? It's obviously not a priority, like the class 47 on Trans Pennine. You can only bang your head against a brick wall for so long, eventually, it starts to hurt.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Rob39

Rob39 Well-Known Member

Ive done a ticket for this sound issue also.

• Like Like x 1