Improved Progress Stats

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Factor41, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

I've mentioned this before in a previous thread, but thought I'd expand on it a bit more. I'd really like to see a more detailed in-game stats page where you can get a really simple at-a-glance view of your progress in the game. The current stats page on the DTLive website is a start, but after even a short amount of play in various routes, only having five real stats and Other becomes fairly useless. The way it seems to be pulling these stats is weird too, and doesn't tally up with what's happening in-game as a result of it not being retroactive, and not picking up all activities with the Mastery feature being broken.

Here's what we have currently...
    Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 22.55.08.png

If the stats were all correct, the general numbers panel would be quite useful, but could include other metrics, like total miles covered, miles walked, etc. The jobs panel could definitely be improved - I'd like to see a 100% normalised bar chart, with a cluster of bars or stacked bars for each route, broken down by job type so you can see at a glance your progress through each route's jobs.

For the train use data, even a very simple data set, recording train mileage on each route, would easily allow a much broader view of the locos and routes you play the most in the game, and how far you've travelled on each of them. I assume this data is already being stored in game as a way to track trophy and mastery progress, but given that both seem a little inconsistent in their operation, I could be wrong!

Simple data set using my current game data, with a unique colour allocated to each route...
    Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 22.58.49.png

The type of output I'd like to see to replace the "Most Popular..." panels in game. The allocated colours would allow you to see where you've spent most time with the locos which can be used on multiple routes, eg the DB BR 182 which I've used on all of the German routes....
    Screenshot 2020-02-01 at 22.53.19.png

Is this something that other people would like to see and find useful?

N.B. I've only recently picked up Peninsula Corridor which is why stats are quite low. I don't have CSX, ECW or TVL. Also, this is based on miles travelled, rather than hours played, so the WSR tiny blocks equates to about 5,000 hours driving really slowly!

Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 6
  2. synthetic.angel

synthetic.angel Well-Known Member

I think there is a common assumption that "Mastery" is intended to benefit the player. You might be given the chance to see some data that you have downloaded DTG, through this feature, but I suspect that the main purpose is to harvest user data, to inform DLC production, and likely future successful sales rates.

By the way - I've said it before, and I will say it again - TVL is a must buy..... I mean - it's really really good.... I slightly flinch when I say this (because obviously routes should cost about £4) .. but TVL is actually worth the full £25, and get the Class 31 as well.... really cute stuff - so £37.... about the price of a decent bottle of single malt. And you can't drink a bottle of single malt twice - trust me - I've tried... ;-D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Factor41

I'll consider it if it's reduced next sale. I'm not really fussed about NTP - is it much better than that?

4. Cheesypuff2

Cheesypuff2 Active Member

Where on dovetail live do i find my stats?

5. Factor41

6. Trim

Trim Active Member

No. It is different. It has greater variety, The trains themselves are generally more polished, but I would say that the journeys (those that I have done) are in general more buggy than those in NTP (quite likely this is linked with the greater variety). I do like the working AWS.

However, I think the route is just not as interesting as NTP. It is mostly flat, and I haven't found any trains that offer any sort of a challenge, apart from working out how to do things such as unload coal with no instructions (it's not difficult - just keep below 1 mph - but it would have been nice to have been told). Unless you have the Class 31 add on, then all the loco-hauleds are non-passenger workings, which means there are no timings, so you get full marks for just keeping within the speed limit (easy) and stopping in the right place (not too difficult, since you aren't racing around to keep to schedule). In real life, freight trains do have schedules, of course, but in TSW we are given no indication of what they are, and we can happily be running 30 minutes late in complete ignorance, with no warnings and no penalties, only discovering you're late when you Return to Free Roam at the end and discover the next working is meant to have departed already. The TVL Class 101 is considerably easier to drive than the NTP one - in fact if you go from NTP to TVL you will find yourself constantly overspeeding when approaching speed reductions because you expect the brakes to take ages to release. It is clear that the Class 101 in NTP accelerates and brakes too slowly and my guess is that the TVL model is more accurate (I did comparisons, and there really is a difference in performance, not just in the way the brakes release). It is nice to be able to keep to time with the Class 101, but I'd rather be driving the TVL Class 101 on NTP than on TVL.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. TinTin_57

TinTin_57 Well-Known Member

Plus when you are level 400 now, as I am, the current stats only showing from when they implemented this (if you are lucky) are not very informative.

nice post Factor41

• Like Like x 1