Service Mode Timetables

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by Trenomarcus, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Trenomarcus

Trenomarcus Well-Known Member

Service Mode, now Timetables, of Train Sim World is excellent. I think it is probably the most significant addition in TSW compared to TS. However, no in-game passenger information service is currently available, making service mode still more like a big collection of services than a way to really enjoy an entire day of train life.

In the beginning, DTG produced few pdf timetables that fixed a bit the problem, but they are no more doing that, and the old pdf files seem no more available too. Then, some very helpful community members started to produce new and updated timetables for the different routes, which is excellent.

However, I always felt that the pdf solution is too basic, and something more advanced will be helpful. So, I've started to develop a web service/site that you can find here:

https://smtimetables.herokuapp.com

Timetables have been produced by combining information from my personal playing experience with the pdf timetables I was able to find around online (credits in the about page). In the about page you can find the list of currently available routes (more will be added soon). In many cases, I've added the platforms/sidings at which the services are stopping. The information about the platforms and sidings is complicated to obtain without actually playing the services, so it will be slowly expanded in the future.

The main feature of the site is probably the ability to see a list of connecting services for each train (within a 15 min limit). This will help to plan a proper "workday" by choosing multiple connected services to play.
    In case a service is run by the same consist (e.g., by changing loco end), this is indicated as "follow up".

The site has been optimized to be run on mobile so that it can be used during actual gaming.

The current status of the timetables can be seen from: https://smtimetables.herokuapp.com/about

Hope you enjoy,
    Cheers :)

smtimetables_2.png smtimetables_3.png smtimetables_4.png smtimetables_5.png

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 38
    • Helpful Helpful x 11
  2. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Ive just been on to check it out (on my phone) and it is indeed a superb piece of work. I hope you can develop it further as it will be a great asset for people to use. I know I will be although GWE and NTP tend to be my routes of choice- something about that rattly 101 has me hooked.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Trenomarcus

Added the Great Western Express timetable (both passenger and freight) and improved the visualization of locations in case of a large number of services.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Epic effort! Added to my phones front page :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trenomarcus

Rapid Transit and Northern Trans-Pennine timetables are now available.

I've also improved the search train functionality by taking into account the different routes. Useful for locations available in multiple itineraries (e.g., Hagen).

Last edited: Nov 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  6. rhysdabeast0011

rhysdabeast0011 Member

This is really helpful thanks for putting in the effort to make this

• Like Like x 4
  7. Trenomarcus

Hi everyone,
    I'm trying to add more features to the site from time to time. The latest additions are:
    - Tees Valley Line timetable
    - Dark mode. A little switch makes everything pretty dark, suitable for night runs :)
    - Loco search mode. This mimics the TSW service mode view basically, with the list of services run by a specific loco for a particular route.

Please note that the data on services run by which loco is only partial at the moment for some routes. It will be slowly expanded.

Also, I would like to thanks all the people reporting wrong information via the report button on the train view. report_tool.png We will slowly achieve 100% fidelity to actual timetables.

Cheers,
    Marcus

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Sunscreen

Sunscreen Guest

Great work Marcus. I think I already mentioned I had it as a quick link on my phone :) If I come across anything during my NTP sessions ill let you know. Looks really good though and a really good UI. Very impressed.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Trenomarcus

Thanks, much appreciated. :)

• Like Like x 1
  10. -PjM-

-PjM- Well-Known Member

I'm sure I will. Very useful, thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Trenomarcus

Hi everyone,
    I've added the following timetables in the past days:
    - Long Island Railroad
    - Sand Patch Grade (CSX: HH)
    - NEC Freight Services
    - TVL Class 31 Services

In addition, the data about which loco runs which service should be 100% accurate now.

Finally, I've also visually improved the site in a few places.

So basically all the timetables (1905 services) are now available, excluding the Peninsula Corridor. If someone owns this DLC and wants to contribute by sending me by PM the list of platforms at which the longest services stop by, it will be appreciated.

M.

12. oliverwest523

oliverwest523 New Member

Hello, could you add diagrams page per route (all connected trains service) and all passing trains, add passing times that trains dont stop.

13. Trenomarcus

Hey oliverwest523. Adding passing times for all trains in all stations will be a very hard task, I'm not planning it at the moment. Regarding a per-route scheme of all connected trains, that will be awesome and I was already thinking about it. Also, I'm planning to more easily display which services are connecting to others. Thanks for the suggestions :)

14. ales.hnyk

ales.hnyk Member

Good job. Have you thought about adding the stations milestone?

15. Trenomarcus

Hi ales.hnyk, could you please explain what is the stations milestone? It's the data about the distance between stations?

16. ales.hnyk

ales.hnyk Member

In what kilometer the station on the line. For use with HUD off. like ebula.
    [​IMG]
    example.jpg [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  17. Trenomarcus

That's pretty clear now, thanks. I think it's a very good idea, I'll note it in the todo list :)

18. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Great idea!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Trenomarcus

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Marcus, I appreciate! This is so useful!

• Like Like x 2
  21. iAspex

iAspex Active Member

Is there one for the new East Coastway route? There's only freight ones listed there

• Like Like x 1
  22. Trenomarcus

All East Coastway's 250(+1) services are now available on the site.

For this route in particular, due to the small variations in the timetable, I kindly ask everyone to use the report button on each service detail page to send me any wrong information. Data will be updated over time. :)

M.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  23. BRD

BRD Well-Known Member

Hello Marcus,

I just wanted to tell you that your idea is fantastic! I have already bookmarked your website so I can check the train timetables.

Thank you very much for your amazing work! :)

• Like Like x 1
  24. paulgregs

paulgregs Active Member

Well, this is a properly useful facility. I've actually tried doing my own timetables but its really frustrating so I really appreciate the good work....

• Like Like x 1
  25. Trenomarcus

Hi all,
    the Peninsula Corridor timetable is now available on the site.

I wish to thank all the people reporting any wrong information in the services. Please continue to do so :)

In the meantime, I've added a map visualization for each route on the homepage.

Marcus

upload_2020-1-23_13-22-11.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Trenomarcus

Once again with few updates for the site.

I've added stations distance in train view, "as the crow flies" like in-game.
    This is only displayed if there is enough space on the screen (i.e. on mobile will be often required to rotate the screen).

upload_2020-2-7_13-5-57.png

I've also added the ability to change the size of the lookup window for connecting trains, from 5 minutes to 30 minutes.

upload_2020-2-7_13-8-0.png

If you have any more suggestion to share please do so :)

Marcus

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. Trenomarcus

I've updated all timings of Peninsula Corridor to be consistent with the Baby Bullet update. As always, reports of any wrong information are more than welcome. ;)

M.

• Like Like x 1
  28. ales.hnyk

ales.hnyk Member

Thank you very much. I was not fully understood. It was intended to have an indication of the distance on the line along the station determined by the hectometric plate, not from the beginning of the route. (does not have to start with zero and is the same in both directions) 10.1 - 45.2 - 78.3 in one direction and 78.3 - 45.2 - 10.1 in the opposite direction. (by hectometer)
    Thanks again. I use the app with every ride. (excluding shunting)

• Like Like x 1
  29. Trenomarcus

Ok, I hope it helps anyway :)

M.

• Like Like x 1
  30. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

Trenomarcus, I've only just stumbled across this thread. Great work and thanks for sharing.:)

• Like Like x 1
  31. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

Very good resource! Unfortunately the one negative in having something like this available is that you really see how poor DTG's timetable service mode is compared to real life. I was wondering why RRO feels so quiet sometimes, even in services like the S8, and it turns out, some services are missing! For example look at a DTG's service pattern at Hagen-Westerbauer from your link:

https://smtimetables.herokuapp.com/location/101

Let's take a look at what it is SUPPOSED to be:

[S8 Timetable at Hagen-Westerbauer for Service to M'gladbach]
    https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/q...emberSortType=minArrival&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1

[S8 Timetable at Hagen-Westerbauer for Service to Hagen]
    https://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/q...berSortType=minDeparture&REQ0HafasScrollDir=1

You can see a pattern where in both directions, you have one set of trains 20 minutes apart from each other, before the next one appears 40 minutes later, and then this cycle repeats. DTG's timetable accomplishes this (although the times are a little different than the ones on the DB website, but no problem), but there are gaps in service where you might not see a train for a whole hour. An example of this is for the Hagen bound S8 at 10:31. The previous train is at 9:51 (40 minutes ago), so the next service should be at 10:51 (20 minutes later); but check the TSW timetable, and the next train scheduled out of Wuppertal is at 11:51!!! That's more than an hour and 20 minutes between trains! What went wrong there? I guess people who want to take S8 at 10:32 should walk instead of taking the train.

Anyways good work! Hope to see this continue for future routes!

• Like Like x 2
  32. TerryBalldriver

TerryBalldriver Member

Excellent information. Page booked marked. Thanks your hard work.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Trenomarcus

Hi all,
    thanks for the kind words. Glad that many of you are using the site!

I've added a new small feature, a filter menu on trains list.

Cheers,
    Marcus

upload_2020-3-16_12-49-2.png

34. Trenomarcus

Hi all,
    a brief update about the site.
    - Hauptstrecke Rhein-Ruhr timetable has been compiled on the site shortly after DLC release
    - Reviewed Tees Valley Line and Main - Spessart Bahn timetables
    - Added trains filter in loco view
    - Small cosmetic updates all over the place

I wish to thank once again all people reporting wrong information with the services, that's immensely useful.

Best,
    Marcus

• Like Like x 4
  35. oliverwest523

oliverwest523 New Member

Could you add arrival times collum for stations, kinda confusing when only departure times shown, espeically arrvial times and departure times 1 min, and how route diagrams page coming on?

Last edited: May 1, 2020
  36. Trenomarcus

I've been evaluating different solutions to display connecting services in a more "graphical" way, but any of them is satisfying enough, especially considering it should be usable from both mobile and desktop. I hope to come up with a good idea in the future. Suggestions always welcome :)

Could you elaborate more on this? Why displaying arrival times in locations page would be useful? Also consider that in many cases that column will be empty (if the location is the starting of the service).

Last edited: May 11, 2020
  37. 37114

37114 Active Member

Hi, this is excellent, thank you very much for doing it. As a developer myself I’m guessing you’ve done it in Vue or React? Can I suggest you had Progressive Web App support? Pretty easy to do with a modern JS framework and it will allow users to add it to their home screens like a native app (amongst other things such as offline support)

38. Trenomarcus

Either of them :) Although web development is not my primary job, I've always wanted to learn one of those.

Shouldn't you already be able to add the site in a mobile home? I've done it via Chrome on my phone. I'll check the concept of Progressive Web App anyway and see what I'm missing. Thanks for suggesting!

39. Trenomarcus

Hi all,
    quick update as I've added the timetables for Köln - Aachen and remastered Sand Patch Grade (version 2). I'll keep the old SPG timetable as Sand Patch Grade 1 for the moment (could be removed in the future).

Regarding the timetable for Bakerloo Line, do not expect it too soon. It's a huge project given the number of services and differences in stopping times (like ECW) and DTG said that an updated timetable is also coming with even more services. I should find the best strategy to compile it, maybe by adding one train at the time.

As always, if you find any errors in the timetable data please report them using the in-site tool.

Marcus

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  40. MegaSim

MegaSim Member

I love your web app, and always mention it when using it on my channel.

keep up the good work and look forward to the Bakerloo line being added

• Like Like x 3
  41. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

Excellent efforts in all the time you take yo make these, i use this on my facebook group ( and its credited to your name) its been a massive help, come and join us if you wish

https://m.facebook.com/groups/208763479804520?tsid=0.5461466909356778&source=result

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  42. oliverwest523

oliverwest523 New Member

1. Arrival besides Departures epecially end of line stations eg London Paddington, Elephant & Castle, Seaford & others. hard to know which train arrive platforms unless station got single platform, showing platform number will help, arrival platform number to same exact departure platform number.

2. station departure/arrivals(end of the line stations) list with diagrams, each train own departures collum.

3. Station Platform page to know which trains depart from, with option Passenger, Freight, Switching Empty stock, helpful for stations with multiple platforms.

4. in Routes page, add a option Disable showing DLCs that add services, Class 31, Class 20, Heavy Freight Pack, DB 185, Route DLCS that add services in other routes if you own Route DLC.

5. Journey planner to ride trains, change trains, Connecting like in service page, 5-30 connecting mins, with trains shown within in 5-30 mins.

6. station two way train meets collum

is diagrams page almost ready?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  43. Trenomarcus

These are really good suggestions, thank you. I especially love the idea of hiding services based on DLCs. At the moment I'm not working on something big in particular, but I'll come back as soon as I have more time.

44. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

How is the bakerloo timetable coming along? You deserve more praise then you get.

45. Trenomarcus

All data collected from the game and ~25% of services inserted in smtimetables! :)

• Like Like x 1
  46. breblimator

breblimator Guest

This is what I was looking for. You are my idol :)
    GJ!

• Like Like x 1
  47. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

why hasn't this thread been pinned in the forum? This is a majestic piece of work. I've only just stumbled on this thread. This will aid me to set off on foot at a decent time, and figure out driving without HUD. Many thanks!

• Like Like x 3
  48. Trenomarcus

• Like Like x 2
  49. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Hope, You are ready for these numbers :D

• Like Like x 1
  50. Trenomarcus

:D It will be the route with the most services (427). The current 1st is HRR with 374.

Actually, however, I expect the new timetable to be fairly easy to record and insert in the site, as the german timetables tend to be fairly regular (e.g. same minutes, but different hours, zero seconds). The most painful timetables to get were BKL, GWE, and ECW as most if not all timings are different.

I've just realized will be pretty nice and easy to add a count of services for each route on the about page... I'll do soon^tm

• Like Like x 2