PC Train Sim World Feedback Thread

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TrainSim-Jay, Sep 19, 2017.

1. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

This thread is for providing feedback for Train Sim World and its associated add-on content.

Please be as detailed as possible with your submissions, this will allow us to address and collate your feedback in a timely and effective manner .

2. FreD

FreD New Member

Good Patches already with more Performance and fixed Bugs / Glitches

But on Great Western Express there are still some Bugs:

Missing Catenary (Between West Drayton and Reading - in both Directions)
    Windows get Black Lines to the Rail (passing Train) but only for Class 43 Train (patch fixed it maybe - no more Bars)
    Motion Blur on Train Wheels is very blurry and makes good Screenshots almost impossible (i made a Screenshot)
    Signals are flickering if you are a little away from them (about 500m)
    Sky in Summer looks Strange (the Clouds) but i know it's from Unreal Engine

I will edit this Post when i find out more.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Typhomat

Typhomat Well-Known Member

Here is some of the feedback I have after the new patch

First, I noticed that at least in the Class 43 HST the seats will shift position when using external and free camera views and then returning to first person view. So if I sit in a seat, use external camera views while the train is in motion, and then return, the seats appear to have moved. This is the only time I've been able to recreate this issue, but it annoying to say the least.

Another issue I've noticed is that in blizzard like weather, visibility inside London Paddington station is low even under the roof. I don't think it should be like this, the visibility issues should begin outside the enclosed area of the train station. This can be seen in other conditions too, like summer rain. The images attached show the issue. The track ties also have snow on them under the enclosed roof even though the rest of the ballast is dry during snowy conditions.

Going on what FreD mentioned, I for one am a fan of the motion blur, but the issue with both the wheels, and the halo like effect around the train at high speeds is also still an issue post this patch, and I hope it can be resolved.

Lastly, I believe the lighting inside the passenger interiors is too much, and there is a lack of shadows below the seats. The reflections off the windows seem excessive and make it hard to really look out at some angles. I haven't noticed this on trains I've ridden in real life. An adjustment of the lighting in the interiors would be nice from my perspective

I'm keeping my eye out for more issues to report, but these are the issues I've found that haven't been reported much.

As for new features, the lack of any information on any of the display boards is disappointing. Even though Train Simulator 20xx had no real train information on these displays, they at least provided time and such. I hope that these are eventually populated and even potentially follow the real time tables, it will be a huge step, especially when just riding trains all day.

Otherwise the game has been enjoyable and I'm looking forward for future updates and content

Edits: Addition of some photos and interior shadow issues

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  4. 1999Werdna

1999Werdna Member

1. I am currently not getting any exhaust fumes, not sure if this an error or if they aren't simulated yet.
    2. On the HST when waiting on a platform to board the train, it is possible to open individual doors and enter the train, even though the AI driver has not yet unlocked the doors. I know this because it would have been my task to board the locomotive and then unlock the doors. However, I decided to board the train before hand. Apparently the game still told me to unlock the doors, even though I was able to open them. So something doesn't seem to add up here. Squirrel had the same problem, watch his video TSW - Great Western Express - Christmas Closures (Time: 3:47).
    3. On the HST when locking the doors, they close all instantly and at the same time. This is not how it works in reality, where the guard closes each door manually and then engages the door lock. Could you maybe implement a feature for the HST where the door lock actually only works when all doors are closed, so the player would have to fill in for the guard, run a long the platform and close each door individually and then engage the door lock. What I mean is an option: 1. door lock closes and locks doors 2. door lock only locks doors, so player has to close them. Or could you make passengers open and close doors at different times on the HST (and open at different times on the 166)?
    4. I've noticed that sometimes the carriages of the HST don't seem to have any sound insulation (especially the ones closest to the locos), meaning the sound level of the engine isn't muffled as you would expect when you enter the train. There also doesn't seem to be much background noise in the carriage, meaning when the train starts to move the rolling sounds come in a bit suddenly.
    5. Stations (especially Paddington) feel a bit empty and this is not aided by the fact that they are sometimes almost silent. There is little background ''white'' noise, such as chatter, talking, laughing etc. There are announcements, but they don't seem to fill the station acoustically in the same way as you would expect them to (so very little muffling and reverb in Paddington for example). The classic British Rail announcement bell/jingle/bing bong/ sound effect that usually precedes announcements at most stations is also missing.

5. andoodle

andoodle New Member

Excuse me, everyone.

I am sorry to be the one to tell all of you this, but I have a problem. A few days before the "Great Western Express" add-on for Train Sim World was released, I noticed that all of the achievements for that add-on were removed? Would you be so kind as to give the achievements back to that add-on? I am sorry for asking, but I felt that I needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

6. Clive Smith

Clive Smith New Member

Passengers are ankle deep in platform on platforms 12, 13 & 14 of Paddington station.

7. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Lack off passengers from slough to paddington on commuter service, literally 0 people on all platforms for the further 6stations, missing track.....driving on a grey patch between hayes and paddington in around 5different spots.
    Every ai train causes the game to pause jitter or crash, class 43 generally causes game to crash i can drive the 166 anywhere and its fine soon as i get near paddington or reading in a HST however the game crashes so I cant drive those.
    Lack of keyboard functions for all trains.
    Lack of scenario's
    Lack of route legnth- could you guys please tell us if it is an intention to extend the route?

Just general optimisation? Im running with a 4ghz 8core processor, 8gb ram, 2gb graphics card and I still cant get a smooth run from one to the other?
    Resolution is set at 1024
    And all settings are on medium apart from shadows on low?

Other than the above points the update has made gameplay smoother but still needs work on ai trains/ai passengers/HST hates my computer! Lol

If you guys coukd post a thread on what your working on so we are aware and stop repeating ourselves it must annoy you!:)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  8. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

2gb for graphics? The minimum is 4gb so there you're crashes coming from probably?
    i never have any problems passing other AI trains.

and yes there is a lack of passengers on some station. it seems all the people get off at one station and then no station have passengers getting on or off.

9. FreD

FreD New Member

I agree to Piussi, i also never had Problems with passing Trains. 2GB is way to less. I have 4GB VRAM and it works.

Also the Problem with the Passengers, i don't have it. At nearly every Station a few gets out but not all of them.
    Is it happening in every Mode?

Cheers

10. johann.olivier

johann.olivier New Member

My main issue is that in external views in both CSX Heavy Haul and Great Western Railway the views jump al over the place. This need to be stable. There also are some artifacts concerning bogey wheels which appear to be on fire at speed. I would prefer views to be selectable with the 2,3,4,5 and 8 keyboard keys like in TS 2017.

11. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

The reccomended requirements is 2gb vram, on the steam page 2gb is the minimum. Clearly it isnt enough though and the HST is a no go on my game in service mode.

12. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Appreciating the feedback guys! Keep it coming

- Jay

• Like Like x 1
  13. Welling

Welling New Member

Hi, Developer
    The sound of the engine and the environment ! The game is deaf and it's weird that this is a new game so empty.
    Models of people - the world the people terribly dark and dull.
    A pointer to the route the locomotive is not running , there is just a hole for signs of the route.

I think this is an early alpha release of the game or what?

• Like Like x 2
  14. 1999Werdna

1999Werdna Member

Welling With all due respect, Jay did urge us to be as detailed and clear as possible when giving feedback. I'm afraid that you on the other hand are not making very much sense, I myself am rather confused actually... Could you please be more specific and give a more detailed response?

15. Welling

Welling New Member

What is not clear?
    I think everything is clear.
    1- Sounds. Sounds of the locomotive and space in the game - there are none and there is no audibility
    2 - the route signs are empty and there are no routes for them on passenger routes. so on the locomotive there is no stencil where we go
    3 - People in the game are gloomy and there is no diversity according to the models of people.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  16. Piussi

Piussi Well-Known Member

The destination boards are not implemented yet.. they will come later if i'm correct

• Like Like x 1
  17. imnew

imnew New Member

Jay,

We need more grunt / base applied to the US engines. The sounds are there, but they are not "brawly" enough, aka missing a deep base. When standing next to a US diesel, even in IDLE you can "feel" it in your chest. Its an awesome sound that would go perfectly together with such a gorgeous looking sim like TSW.

I see there are a lot of people complaining, rightfully so, about performance / stutter in game. Performance is not stellar in TSW, please continue to improve it. After a lot of testing back and forth I came to this solution. http://railworksamerica.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=68&t=19093

In short, to reduce stutter: disable your ingame VSYNC option and enable Adaptive VSYNC using NVIDIA control panel, make sure your monitor is running at 60hz, limit your in-game FPS setting to 30. This will make TSW perform with "almost" no stutter. Hardware dependant but still..

We all want TSW to be successful! So its good to see you guys are taking on some feedback from us loyal fans. Any news on the editors?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  18. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

Been on a kick with this game lately and have been playing a ton of it. Keep up the good work with the game guys! Looking forward to that GP40 update!

One thing that has bugged me about the game is the tunnels and how the game handles lighting whenever you go into one. These are primarily on Sand Patch Grade and I haven't really experienced this in the GWR map. Whenever I go into tunnel, the environment around my train appears dark by the entirety of my train remains lit as if it is still outside. I'm not sure if it is just a limit of the engine or not but the weather effects also behave in a similar manner. Example - rain will continue to build up on the windshield of the train even though it inside the London station and out of the weather.

Looking forward to see what else you guys can bring to the table with future expansions!

19. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

If English is not your first language try posting in your native tongue others on here may be able to understand what you are saying.

20. Nox

Nox Member

Some feedback: the game is very very quiet. Even with my speakers on full, the noise of the locomotive is too low. AWS alarms are loud enough, however.

21. Peter Hayes

Peter Hayes Well-Known Member

Is there any chance that we can get modelling of "turbulence" when meeting another train or entering a tunnel. The sounds are good in this respect, but it would be great to "feel" this effect, via the controller and/or visually on the monitor!.
    pH

22. J van E

J van E Member

This is a known 'bug'. Most of the time you can't even hear the engine (which becomes very apparent if you have the luck to hear of for a minute or so). There is a tweak that makes some of the sounds a lot louder but imho the tweak isn't balanced: this simply needs to be fixed by Dovetail.

23. DampWool

DampWool Member

I would so like it if the trees would shed their leaves in winter.
    Leaves with snow on them look silly.

• Like Like x 2
  24. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

You know, I did not notice that. Trees used to lose leaves in winter...now they don't...What the heck?

25. IsambardKingdomBrunel

IsambardKingdomBrunel Well-Known Member

Got the game yesterday, it needs a slider as per TS20xx to adjust the in game brightness.

It is much too bright, it also needs an option to remove the fog\mist whatever it is.

No horn on the Class 66, rail joint and junction sounds are unrealistic and the volume is too low.

LOD kicks in too soon in regards the track, so the quality deteriorates to close to the camera.

Textures on the containers have a terrible moire effect, about 3 container cars back from the loco.

External camera, jumps about all over the place, when the player train is passing near to objects and most obviously through under bridges.

Needs exposed surfaces, ie: platforms to darken when it is raining, to complete the in game immersion.

Paddington station needs more ambience, announcements and back ground noise.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Karl456

Karl456 Member

Here is my feedback:
    In general, I can agree with the statements which have been posted yet according sounds and sound volume, missing exhaust fume, stations that are not busy enough etc.
    I've also noticed some loose air hoses between the locomotive and the coaches of the HST:
    01_Loose Air Hoses And Cable.png
    I'm not sure if this is also the status in reality, but I can hardly imagine that: The locomotives of the HST were build to be coupled to Mk3 wagons, so there are only those air hoses and cables, which are needed by the coaches. It doesn't make sense to equip the locomotives with even more air hoses and cables. Furthermore, there are two brown jacks, right in the foreground of the picture, one at the locomotive and one at the coach: I wonder, if there shouldn't be a cable between them...

Second thing I've noticed is, that in the cab of the Class 166 the warning signs for "Parking Brake" and "WSP" are constantly flashing red showing that there is a problem with the parking brake and the WSP (whatever that is):
    02_Warning Lights Class 166.jpg No matter what I do: Enabling all safety systems, releasing all brakes etc.: I couldn't make these two warning lights shine white like the others do. Next to this, the "Door Interlock" (first light counted from the top) shouldn't shine white, but blue, because this warning light is the only one with a blue and red light (I will soon add a photo when doors are open, so you can see the blue lamp), while all other warning lights have got a white and a red light. I'm sure that this is just a bug which can be fixed quickly.

Driving inside tunnels, the cab doesn't become completely dark, even if I turn off all lights, interior and exterior. This problem is not new, I know, and it was even worse in the past. But there is still a very small, invisible light shining on the instruments or the levers:
    03_No complete darkness in cab.png
    It would be nice, if you could fix it, but I also know that there are lots of other problems being much more urgent. I just wanted to mention this one, too.

Thanks for all the great work so far! TSW is a really great game and it gets better with every improvement and update, so I hope that there will be some more of them soon!;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
  27. AlexNL

AlexNL Well-Known Member

I bought the TSW+GWE bundle a few weeks ago. I like the British railways and I find the GWML to a particularly interesting stretch of track as so many things go on. London - Reading is a good choice for the introduction of passenger services to TSW because of the rich variety of services.

All in all, I am impressed. The game feels solid (I haven't experienced any crashes yet) and I really like what Dovetail have built...
    - The game looks great! The whole experience is very immersive, being able to walk around and push buttons is just awesome.
    - I love passenger mode. Riding to a station as a passenger and then driving a service, like real drivers sometimes do, is a great experience. Just being a passenger and looking out of the window can be a relaxing experience on its own.
    - I really like service mode. It's a bit like quick drive from TS, but feels more enhanced.

However, there's still lots of work left to be done to TSW:GWE (see the 'bugs and known issues' forums). I am confident that DTG will deliver, the foundation is good! :)

28. andoodle

andoodle New Member

Hello again, everyone.

I want to thank you, the developers of this game, for implementing the achievements again. However, I have another problem. I was trying the Class 66 tutorial, but when I got to the part where I had to start the engine, I am unable to set the "isolation switch" to the "on" position. Would you be so kind as to fix this up, so that I can complete the tutorial? I am sorry for posting this, but I felt that, once again, I needed to get it off my chest. Thank you for your time.

29. Choochoo

Choochoo New Member

Hi. (1) This sim needs a slider switch in settings for brightness. - far too bright, no depth. (2) Why is all this mist over everything, even on summer /clear I can hardly see anything, clear means clear. If I want mist or fog I can choose another weather scenario. (3) On external camera view my screen jerks all over the place every time the train passes an object. On train sim 20xx the graphics quality is stunning, Please try to make TSW as good as that.

30. Ron Away

Ron Away New Member

With CSX heavy haul, scenario or "free roam" mode,
    • I can't get wheel slips or break the train if I start to quickly. So there's no point in trying to start the train 1 notch at a time and do it gently.
    • The pressure build up to quickly in the train line after releasing and drops to fast when a service is applied especially with a long train. The train line is long and small in diameter. When I brake and release brake release and keep doing it, the brakes still have the same efficiency. In real life, they shouldn't (I've been a train engineer on a short line here in Canada).
    • Occasionally, the red electrical cable at the front of the leading unit start swinging around like crazy and creates lines all across the screen.
    • I have to uncouple 2 or more cars in the hump yard. When I try to uncouple a single one, it stops abruptly, the train collides with it and sometimes derail.
    • The distance meter in the GP 38-2 and SD 40-2 shows weird symbols and numbers and doesn't work.
    Thanks a bunch for your attention.

• Like Like x 1
  31. MikeForce

MikeForce New Member

Having acquired TSW over the weekend, I'm really pleased with how much better the simulation experience is over legacy Train Simulator. The immersion is so much deeper with all the buttons clickable and functional, amazing weather effects and the sense of speed is perfect.

I just wish that the manuals (at least the GWE one) were more detailed..

32. rwaday

rwaday Well-Known Member

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  33. Harmsway

Harmsway New Member

When loading TSW the Windows 10 Menu bar remains on screen (in Game) unless the bar is on the bottom of the desktop. This happens in Full Screen mode and Windowed Mode on my computer. This is a recent issue. Probable since the last update.

34. Tristan S.

Tristan S. New Member

I have played Rapid Transit a long time right after release and these are my toughs.
    Did I enjoy playing it? Yes. Does the game play smooth? Yes. Does the game look good? Yes and meh but yea. Does it have problems? Yes. Enough.

So I the most important thing is that I did enjoy playing it. I really did. But of course, I can complain about all bugs and problems that we already know. But I don't want to do that this time. Ok, maybe just a little. I just want the devs to listen to me. I really know what the game needs. If they just listen to us it will fix everything. DTG just needs to listen.

1. Bring the route to life. More AI as in passengers, cars on the road. Maybe even flying birds and planes. And you guy's could even bring in the AI of the other lines that are running on this route. That is easy to do and will make it so much more fun! But really. At mayor stops, there is only 1 person getting in and off. I mean like seriously. That's not acceptable.

2. Make the editor for third-party content and steam workshop a priority. It will really wake up the whole Train Sim community. And big things will happen. That's a fact. And it could even help you guy's with ideas and DLC's.

3. One year ago you guy's already told us that plans where to release the game with multiplayer. And still no sign of it. At least let us know something about it. Because multiplayer will also be a ton of fun. But I think we will need the editor as well for that one. Otherwise, people will get bored of playing the few routes that we have.

4. Make me an Alpha tester (and other people that really want to help out the state of the game). You guy's release DLC's broken/unfinished all the time and it's not good. I don't know if you guy's don't play the game enough or what. But I am a pro at spotting bugs and other elements that will help the state of the game. But you guy's need to release things in a better state. Even if it takes longer. But don't give us a release date and then tell us it's delayed. That would be the worst.

5. More tiny things you can use in the cab. Like there are a lot of buttons in the cab. But we still need more we can press on. There are small things that we should be able to play with and aren't that hard to implement into the cab. There are still buttons we cannot press that we should be able to press. We also should be able to open the windows on the side of the cab door. I mean it's a small thing. But still adds a chunk of realism to the game. The real drivers on this route us that window all the time to check if all passengers are boarded.

6. Announcements and displays. I mean like. This should not be too hard when you already have all the times of the services. The only reason I would accept that this still isn't a thing if it would display our delays and such. That would be great. But if not, I really don't understand how this isn't in the game.

I mean. I think following these steps would make a solid game. I know it is easier said than done. But it's defiantly not impossible. You guy's need to show us something insane to us. But I can't really remember when that ever happened. You guy's do always show something insane but it always turns out different than hoped.

Just listen. please

• Like Like x 8
  35. MJLevy1118

MJLevy1118 Member

I love the ability in GWE and Rapid Transit to start at any station! But this feature is squandered by the fact once you select a station, you have zero way of knowing when the next train is going to arrive in the direction you want to go.

To me, it's not fun to wait for 20 minutes at some random station *hoping* that a train *might* come. I'm hoping for an authentic train driving simulator, not an authentic waiting-around-on-a-platform simulator.

This could be addressed by having the game display exactly what times trains stop at each station when you select it, taking the mystery out of the problem. Also, this could be greatly enhanced if you could pick the exact minute you want the session to start, rather than having to pick a start time of :00, :15, :30, :45, etc. It's not fun to start a session and then wait... and wait... and wait.... and wait.... for a train to come.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying these games and look forward to more bug fixes, more life, more replayability, and more routes!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  36. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

When and if the Passenger Information system (PIS) ever gets implemented then this sort of information should be available. Sadly the latest update on this functionality was along the lines of "it's very complex and it's not actively being worked on". My view is that it might turn up towards the end of the year but is bound to have (major) bugs on first implementation given that DTG seem to have issues fixing what appear to be "simple" problems.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Jacko

Jacko New Member

Wandering around Ealing Broadway in passenger/off-duty mode (love the treasure-hunt and sign-finder aspects btw), I encountered some rather gut-wrenching passenger problems:
    20180121194648_1.jpg

Needless to say, this did not end well. One lass ended up becoming part of the platform, the other presumably got pushed all the way to Reading... Not nice.

I've also noticed some peculiar 'passenger powers' that shouldn't really be enabled when one is not driving, specifically to do with doors. So far, only tested on the Class 166, but it's possible to open the carriage doors whilst moving at speed, from outside, using the keypress 3 external camera. Possibly others. Um. No. Just no!

Also, there are some line-of-sight clipping issues with the driver's doors which are toggleable from the passenger seats behind in the carriage! You can somehow snake your hand through the bulkhead and open the AI driver's door behind him. Bet it makes him go cold!

20180121195456_1.jpg

There are also some strangely reticent passengers at various places throughout the line. I've seen them at Paddington and Ealing Broadway for definite, but they may be everywhere. I'm still researching. Many of them seem to alight from the train and then stand stock still, as if in shock, immediately outside the carriage, right in front of the door. Sometimes they form little gaggles of frozen passengers. Perhaps they're lost? Perhaps they're having a chat about where the station toilets are? Maybe they're fare-dodging and are too scared to move? Dunno.. but I did have one poor chap so scared he would not even get off the train at all! Do what you like, but he ain't getting down! Alas, I didn't see what happened to him when I shut the doors... I have a feeling he may have been thrown clear, but where, is anyone's guess... MIND THE GAP!
    20180122094842_1.jpg

Aside from that, I think we need a bit (a lot) more sound; volume and content, tbh. The external train sounds are far too quiet (even with a bit of relative sound-level jiggling, it's not really workable or realistic), and the in-station sounds, especially at Paddington are sort of 'post-apocalyptic'. Not nearly enough ambient noise. It's like an episode of Doctor Who shot on a Sunday morning. Quiet. Too quiet. I keep expecting to see badly chroma-keyed dinosaurs or zombies appear from behind a signboard...

Generally though, I'm very pleased with TSW so far (but it has only been two days I've owned it now, so best I rein it in a bit and not go overboard yet). Looking forward to seeing more scenarios for GWE as well as new rolling-stock. Hope this is on the cards. Very pleasantly surprised so far, though. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  38. HopeleasHyena

HopeleasHyena New Member

Feedback relating to performance drop with particle systems:

My GTX 770 is very capable of running the game at a consistent 40-60+FPS depending on graphics settings used.

However, when a large number of particles are rendered in such a way that they are cascaded on top of one another in z-space (such as diesel fumes from exhaust), OR, a single large particle takes up a majority of the camera frustum (such as weather/wind effects), the game drops to an absolute crawl of 10fps.

This is despite the game running at smooth 60+FPS in lowest settings.

I would imagine that your particle shader is doing some kind of complex maths or sorting when it sees other particles with the same shader in z-space.

This can be reproduced by looking down at exhaust particles from above. As soon as you orbit the camera to a side perspective, the frame rate increases because less particles are drawn on top of eachother.

I wonder if these additional calculations are necessary, or better still could be turned off via a *standalone* graphics option? (Standalone so that one could control it independently from the other quality settings on order cards such as 770 -again, I can run the game on very high settings at smooth 40+FPS otherwise).

-Ben

• Like Like x 1
  39. BOMBILA

BOMBILA New Member

[Цитата="TrainSim-Джей, должность: 12915, член: 13"]этой теме для обеспечения обратной связи для железнодорожного сим миром и связанного с оным содержанием.

Пожалуйста, будьте как можно более подробно с вашими представлениями, это позволит нам решить и обрабатывать ваши отзывы в своевременным и эффективным образом .[/Цитата]
    Good day. I bought your game Train Sim World®: CSX Heavy Haul. Installed on vindous 7. But at me at start produces an error: the following components are required to run this program microsoft with ++ 2015. I installed it. It still jumps out and does not start! What to do ?

40. Ceponatia

Ceponatia New Member

I'm brand new to the Train Sim series and just picked up Train Sim World: CSX on a whim when it was on sale. Really enjoying it so far, big change in pace from the games I'm used to playing but it's cool to learn a little bit about how trains work. I have a 4GB 1060 and the game runs very well although I have noticed the track detail blurring very close to the front of the train like someone else mentioned. I will also parrot the idea that the world seems fairly lifeless from what I've seen so far (which isn't a ton). No cars stopped at railroad crossings or driving on nearby roads, not really any wildlife or people moving about, etc. The parts of the game I've seen so far are all rural so I understand that a lot of the run will be trees and mountains and that's fine but driving through cities is very empty. Also when you're at the rail yard there are no other people working? I don't know if any of that is possible to include without big performance hits so take it with a grain of salt. :)

Other than that, really enjoying it and plan on getting some of the DLC.

41. Ceponatia

Ceponatia New Member

Also, one thing that I was wishing you could do which is probably way more work than you intended... it would be cool to be able to access the inner workings of the train to see the engine and whatnot.

• Like Like x 2
  42. Jacko

Jacko New Member

In a moment of madness (or should that be 'testing' ;) ) I thought I'd see if I could uncouple the train of wagons that the AI took over from me when I did the Class 66 scenario. The train was moving, and I was running alongside on my way to Acton station. With a deft click, I uncoupled the train midway down the consist. I was expecting utter mayhem (I remember the effects of doing this in TS/Railworks, back in the day)... but it was almost half-right...

The rear half of the consist stopped. DEAD stopped, in a nano-second. Not wholly realistic (it should've pulled up really, really fast as the air was lost from the trainpipe, and the brakes engaged) - but at least it stopped. No squealing of brakes or clanking of buffers though, so it was a bit meh, if I'm honest.

Worse, however, was the fact that the FRONT portion of the train merrily carried on its way with nary a care, AI driver ying-yinging off into the sunset, clueless of what had happened. In reality, the lead half would've been emergency-stopped too - the trainpipe runs the whole length, remember! I'd have accepted another unrealistic 'dead-stop' (just about), but no, off it trotted, leaving me with a bunch of wagons now nicely blocking the Acton Works exit for all time! I did consider trying to find a loco to go grab them with and move them to a more convenient place, but alas, there were no spare locos for miles around, and I didn't feel like walking all day!

Yes, it's minor, and pedantic. I know this. But I live in hope that one day, we might have a scenario that features a broken coupling. It does happen, occasionally - and most importantly (imho) an understanding of the safety aspects of the trainpipe is one of the key factors in educating people about the safety of trains per se. I still encounter journalists who believe that carriages can 'fall off' and roll to their doom, despite nobody having done slips or hump-shunting since the 1970s, probably. It'd be nice to show that myth for what it is...

43. VION

VION Active Member

Hello,
    My feedback ? Purchased the bundle TSW Heavy haul + GWE + Rapid Transit at a very nice price when the last Christmas sales, I very enjoyed this wonderful game. At this time I got some glitches like wrong sun light reflect in the SD40 Loco cabin when into a tunnel in Sand Patch route, time to time on US locos their coupling hoses stretches away abnormaly on the side of the track (from the driver view), on the GWE (I don't remember the exact place) the tracks completely disappear from the map (from the driver view) and further they reappear as normal. All in all the TSW staff made a very good job to this TSW and I enjoy it daily.
    Very good simulator very well modeled (you have great artists in your staff), the menu is very well arranged easy to understand and to setup, still some glitches here and there but nothing to prevent to play with a great enjoyment.

A little word to Mr Matt PEDDLESDEN who have spent a lot of his time to make stream videos posted on YouTube which was very helpful on some parts how to setup on some locos and their specific controls like the computer on the Class 66 and the Talent 2 and lot of others things that I don't knew apart those wrote in the manual.

Thank you very much to DTG and in particular TSW staff who made a fantastic coded and designed job.

Gerard

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  44. TheAlbanach_

TheAlbanach_ New Member

I can't enjoy this game... A few problems for me, the camera jumps around way too much. It would be better if the camera keys were the same as train simulator.

If I'm driving s train and another passes it just lags and stutters.

Class 166 is just way too bright in the cab, and sound is not very audible .

The HUD is intrusive and hard to read. Train simulator had a better one.

45. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Feedback on TSW - I only have CSX Heavy Haul. Though this is a long list of issues, it does not mean I am unhappy with TSW. There is a lot done right, and apparently improving with each update.

The complements...

- First person walk around!! I've been wanting to see this in sims (all sims) for a long time. Thank you!

- Looks great and good FPS for me even though there are many known graphics issues. Engine models, inside the cab, all look wonderful.

- Fully clickable and mouse interactive controls is the way to go for all sims. Thanks for making this the norm in TSW.

- Weather effects, though not perfect, are very nicely done.

- TSW is more immersive to me than TS2018 (due to the visuals and the greater degree of control over the world and the engines). Both are important for a good simulator. Thanks for striking a balance and bringing operational realism as well as visual realism.

- Perhaps most important - DTG seems to be taking a much more active roll to communicate with the user community. I have to admit, I've had a bad impression of DTG for years for a variety of reasons. Seeing what TSW can become is starting to reverse that impression, but the jury is still out. Better communication with the community through this forum (and on Steam) is a big reason for my change of heart. Jay, I've seen you responding to people's comments and questions everywhere, and I very much appreciate it.

The issues I've seen...

- Lighting in cab seems to work as if the cab has no roof or walls (yes, the cab lights are off). Sunlight or twilight shines in the cab as if it is open air. This even happens in tunnels as if the cab isn't in a tunnel at all even though it is pitch black outside the cab.

- Twilight lighting is way off it seems. Very bright long after sunset, and the sky opposite of the sun set (Eastern sky) is also very bright. Long after sunset, the orange colors of the sky still shine into the engine cab with excessive brightness. This is partially related to the item above, but also a second factor where the sky's colors and brightness are not realistic at all.

- Reflections off the cab windows is excessive. The one scenario where you drive almost the entire trip with a setting sun behind you was very difficult to see out the window due to bright orange reflections of the orange sky light behind me. The light didn't come through the windows, it came through everywhere - again as if the cab has no roof or walls or anything. It even happened while in tunnels. This is all related to the above two items, but in this item I am pointing out the excessive reflections.

- Switch flags seem to show the wrong color sometimes until you get close and the correct color "loads" (changes from red to green or green to red). I thought at first this was some kind of anti-derailment feature that was turned on to be user friendly, flipping the switches. But I checked the menu and flipped that feature on and off and it made no difference in the flag color. I see now that the switch isn't actually changing. It's just the color of the switch flag that is wrong. I think it is an LOD thing. At distance, the texture (because I assume it's a texture, not just a color) is being incorrectly applied sometimes, but when you get close enough for the LOD to load the best texture, it changes to the correct color.

- Occasional the electrical cable on the front of the engine freaks out and swings wildly all over the place, including through the engine and the cab.

- Motion blur in tunnels seems to be really wacky. In a tunnel, if I look out the side window, I see horrible blurred gray and black color smearing.

- GP38 Speedometer rate of speed change indicator swings wildly + and -. Same for the EOTD indicator rate of accell/decell indicator. I assume these indicators are simply not implemented correctly at this time.

- Textures loading (LOD) late on certain objects, or changing from low quality texture to high quality texture very close to the player view. I assume this is a mitigation to improve frame rate for the short term as I've never seen such late loading of higher quality textures in a video game. It's really bad actually. Results in things like certain objects having no texture or totally the wrong color. Some light posts I saw were white at first, the paint scheme on train cars as they pass by is missing until 3 cars away. Railroad ties along the side of the track changing their texture so radically they look like they just warped into existence when they are only about 100 feet in front of the train. But they didn't warp. They just changed color and appearance so radically that they catch my eyes constantly as if they just warped. This happens with all kinds of objects in the sim.

- Weather effects transition too quickly. I'm in total fog and can only see 100-200 feet ahead and all of a sudden, fog disappears and I can see half a mile. Like a light switch. Other weather transitions do this as well.

- Motion blur on wheels looks clearly unreal.

- Multimonitor or "odd" monitor size support lacking. Seems there is no effective way to adjust FOV to compensate for multimonitors or odd sized monitors. UI elements don't work for anything other than a single common sized monitor (16x9 or 16x10 ratio). I understand not making multi-monitor a priority given all the other issues, but many people have large (long width) gaming monitors these days, and all games need to start with mult-monitor and odd monitor size support from the beginning. We aren't all running 1080p monitors anymore.

- CTRL-4 Speed Limit & Signal Cycle option does not work correctly unless the score (CTRL-6) is also displayed. I normally run with the "middle of the screen" icons for Next Signal, Next Speed Limit, and Objective Marker turned off. When you turn these off, it brings up the Next Speed and Next Signal flags in the upper right corner, along with the game score. I don't want the game score, so I turn that off with CTRL-6. If I turn off Next Signal and Next Speed Limit with CTRL-4, I can not get them to come back up again by cycling through CTRL-4. I have to press CTRL-6 and now I can cycle through The CTRL-4 flags.

- Voice overs (like radio calls in scenarios) are quiet compared to other sounds. Not sure if that's by plan or not. I always have to turn up volume when the voice stuff comes on. I could adjust in the audio volume settings of course, but pointing this out in case it was not by plan. I have all volume settings at default (max).

- External views have very low ceiling limit on how high you can go. Very frustrating. If you "fly" up to the top of a mountain, you can get enough altitude to actually see something. I hope this was a design choice and not a limitation of the Unreal 4 engine. We want to see this wonderful world you have created. Let us fly to higher altitudes.

- When you reach the edge of the world and the message comes up to say you've gone to far, it ends the scenario. Very frustrating when I did this in the middle of a long scenario (external view - flew too far down the track) and it just ended my game without warning. Give a warning and say "go back". Don't end the game. I imagine you did this because you were thinking of the case of a person driving a train too far down the track. In many such cases, going back isn't an option. But there are cases where a warning will allow someone to go back in a train, or certainly while in an external view and not prematurely end the scenario.

- Need to update the manuals to match the game. There are significant differences in keyboard functions in game which are not in the manual. Need to provide more specifics about the engines and their individual functions. It seems far too common for people to develop software and not explain how to use it. TSW gives advanced access to a simulated locomotive, but the documentation assumes we are all experienced trains engineers. Take a hint from other simulators like serious flight sims (DCS) where manuals explain the aircraft in great detail. I'm not expecting that level of detail for TSW, but at least explain enough to show people how to use the features you put in the sim.

- Last Played (from the menu to choose tutorial, scenarios, or services) runs the last saved game, not the last thing that was played. Maybe Last Played should say Last Saved.

- Finally, the big one for me - please add support for DirectX game controllers and TrackIR. You are making a serious sim now, not just a game. Serious sims need game controller support and TrackIR. Would you sell FSW without joystick support? Nobody would take it seriously. A train may seem like a simpler machine than an airplane, but it's not. Pushing keyboard buttons to drive a large heavy complex machine just isn't realistic at all.

My computer...

nVidia GTX1080, 8GB Vram, 3.9GHz Core i7 3440K, 16GB Ram, SSD hard disk, 3x 1920x1200 monitors active, but TSW running only on one monitor of course. I have all settings maxed out to Ultra or High and consistently get 60 FPS (vsync enabled) except for occasional hesitation that brings me down to 40FPS. Running in borderless windowed mode. Windows 10 with latest updates and latest nvidia drivers at the time of writing this.

Thanks for listening.

• Like Like x 4
  46. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

47. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Jef-F, thanks, I saw that. Haven't tried it yet. I'm OK with single monitor for TSW for now.

48. rhbdavid

rhbdavid New Member

Concerning the NEC-Addon, I'm really disappointed about the service mode. In GWE we had different kind of services and depot runs, which makes the whole timetable much more interesting. I'm really missing the depot runs in NEC. Sunnyside Yard is useless in service mode. And all services are the same;-(

• Like Like x 4
  49. Jef-F

Jef-F Active Member

Worry not, a lot of diverse freight shunting services should be introduced pretty soon via an update. They just didn't make it in time for release.

• Like Like x 1
  50. racer050b

racer050b New Member

1. For my liking the lighting is still to bright in the distance, even with "r.eyeadaptionquality" being turned off.
    The colours in the distance tend to completely bleach, which is too bad. (EDIT: see screenshot, it's overall too bright)
    Maybe add an option to disable HDR completely to get a constant exposure. (I don't like HDR also in other games, so maybe I'm not a "average" user; I like vibrant colours).
    I think you should not simulate how a camera lense would react in the cab (outside as well), but how a real human eye would react. Eyes can adapt really fast to lighting changes.
    I hope you can understand what I mean.

2. Please add all possible settings to the options menu.
    I is not convenient for the user to set options in the engine.ini

3. In my opinion the catenary at Leipzig S2 needs more zigzag (does it even have zigzag at all?)
    EDIT: Yes, there is zigzag, but not on the hole route.

Thank you for reading, Happy Easter and best regards from Germany!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2