Poll: Forum Community Bugs & Issues Tracker For Train Sim World

Discussion in 'TSW Troubleshooting & Issues Discussion' started by Plastic Pal, Jun 15, 2020.

1. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Question: Should the Forum's community maintain a Public Bugs & Issues Tracker for Train Sim World?

Background
    It has already been suggested before that a Public Bug Tracker should be created as an open "Jira" style tracker on a website (created to track bugs) and moderated by DTG, as described in this poll in April 2019:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...r-would-benefit-us-all-poll.15931/#post-74613

A later poll (September 2019) suggested that such a tracker should be made available and published by DTG on this Forum, including basic ideas on rules and a format for the list, to be maintained by DTG:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/forum-list-of-known-bugs-and-issues-poll.18278/

Proposal
    This poll is asking you if a Public Bugs & Issues tracker should now be created by Forum members, for Forum members to share sight of specific issues (specific defined bugs.... not absence of features or vague performance issues) that they have encountered, and keep them all in one place (a single dated list) until they are addressed.

The question is being asked now because of the imminent launch of TSW2, and the potential conversion of TSW DLC into the "new" title, and the potential for important bugs to get "frozen in amber" in this process, and left permanently unaddressed. If a Public Bugs and Issues tracker is now created by the community, as a matter of urgency, then there is some hope that DTG can then be persuaded to fix some of the most critical specific bugs that are still outstanding, as identified in the list.

Your comments matter
    You can answer Yes or No, but your vote cannot be changed. You are invited to leave comments below, as you see fit..... But please be as objective as possible, discussing the proposal, without reference to personalities. If you are willing to volunteer to support the creation and maintenance of the list, then you can indicate this below (or DM me directly).

Aside: Making a Better Train Sim World
    Everyone wants to make Train Sim World better. Purely as a bit of light relief.... you can see that statistically speaking, improving Train Sim World is the most pressing issue of our times, as proven by the results in this poll......;-)..............:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...t-floranfauna-nukes-or-train-sim-world.20796/

Last edited: Jun 15, 2020
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I definitely support this, as I suggested before. DTG can learn a lot from Microsoft and the way they run a bug tracking forum for their development software and manage each year to implement a fair number of changes users requested.

The benefits are clear:

- No need submit tickets for known issue (big money saver for DTG)
    - The community may vote for the most urgent issues to solve.
    - It would be possible to share cost estimates and assign a budget to fixes.
    - We may provide additional information to issues and the solutions needed. It would be a good idea to have it moderated and use fairly strict rules on posts, to prevent them going off topic or result into flame wars.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Absolutely yes. I attempted a few weeks ago to create such a thread, but with little luck.

DTG seem to think that bug reports are top secret. The lack of communication around bugs only reduces trust in the company.

• Like Like x 1
  4. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Definitely.

5. Plastic Pal

Plastic Pal Well-Known Member

Yes - I saw your post a while back. The trick, I think, is to build a simple format. If this poll get a couple of hundred responses (votes), then I will build a list into a spreadsheet - and then it can be displayed and maintained in the Forum (by anyone) as a CSV list.

There would also have to be some rules..... the first one being that the list itself must be dispassionate. Just a list. Not a priority list (except for game-breakers), as otherwise you will get no end of vitriol.... as hinted by Rudolf

The purpose of the list would be something for people to point to as a set of data...... and not point at..... ;-)

Once an initial list is produced (it could be just five illustrative items), the next challenge will be to manage how the list is added to and resolved (so, maybe each bug would have to be "seconded" as a real bug, or as a bug that has been dealt with).

• Helpful Helpful x 1