Denied No Route - How Long To Wait?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by SaddingtonPlush, Jul 6, 2020.

1. SaddingtonPlush

SaddingtonPlush Member

I just gave up on Peninsula Corridor early morning UP GP38-2 Northbound empty hoppers. After hitching the hoppers, I head toward the destination and get a red. I wait. Sure, another service is ahead. After it clears the light is still red. Contact signaler, denied. Wait over five minutes, light still red, still denied. There is no traffic, all the lights everywhere are red - I tried searching for a way to backtrack and find an alternative route, no luck there.

So, a question for veterans - how long should I typically wait in this situation before giving up on the scenario? Because a couple minutes, maybe five, seems reasonable - but at what point do you cut your losses and move on to a different schedule?

2. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Can you write here the number of service so we will can try it?

Im not too familiar with the Peninsuala Corridor Freight services but in other route I'd wait for the green also about 20 minutes (RRO Wuppertal to Hagen, for sure. And some service on WSR too).

Just a question: are you sure all track-switches along your route are setup in the right position?

• Like Like x 1
  3. SaddingtonPlush

SaddingtonPlush Member

I think it's UP2. I did check the switches, multiple times (that has caught me out before).
    Thanks for the offer, but I just tried this one again, and got a green.

I think in my first run I might have mucked up the AI, because I decided to switch control to the front engine, instead of the rear in a set of three. This time I just kept it simple and stayed in the original engine, even though it seems a bit odd to be driving "last in line" :)

Your offer of help was much appreciated, though!

• Like Like x 1
  4. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I just happened to do that service last night. I swapped locos and had no problems (PS4 though, although that shouldn’t make a difference in this case). The AI drivers don’t bother swapping locos when they drive this service. It’s a strange ‘feature’ of TSW that has AI drivers in the wrong loco or the wrong cab of twin cab locos any time they should switch. I noticed in RRO that there is a driver character at both ends of the BR422 multiple unit because otherwise half the AI trains you would see with no driver because as far as the game is concerned those AI trains are reversing. It’s my number one bugbear with TSW. I think your initial problem was probably caused by something else rather than you swapping locos, though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Another common "mistake" I personally do frequently when I operating with double locos and/or I change frequently driver cab (in both directions) is to forget to control the reverser position/direction. Example: if on your back there is a red signal and you reverser is positioned to "reverse", your Hud returned the signal on your back. (with left analogic stick its to common to fall in this "mistake", specially if at the same time you use and swap between camera and driver mode)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  6. SaddingtonPlush

SaddingtonPlush Member

I'm new to TSW so quite likely the problem existed between the controls and the seat ;)

Ah right. Very good tip, thanks all!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

My advice would be:

If this happened after you resumed a game, check if there is any traffic blocking. If not, cry loud and restart the service from the very beginning.
    If you did not start from a saved game, it may take a number of minutes. For Penisula corridor, not much longer that 5 minutes. For RRO one freight train has to wait round 20 minutes. You never can be 100% sure. If there is no traffic, you likely are trapped in a bug.

• Like Like x 1
  8. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

This red light issue in UP2 Northbound Empty Hoppers happened so many times to me in TSW2 and TSW2020 until I did it this way (in TSW2). I stayed in the starting cab for this until I was clear to go through Mountain View:

1. On the first "go via" instruction to Newhall Yard make sure you set the switches (on the map) and stop at this marker ideally as soon as your locomotive touches it (I have objective markers turned on).

2. Time to reverse and set the switch correctly but not the ones past the next "go via" instruction marker. Might not make a difference but that's how I did it.

3. After passing this "go via" instruction, now set the next switches correctly on the map and prepare to stop at the "stop at location" instruction. Stop on this marker as soon as the locomotive touches it (there is a red signal for the other track and none of my locomotives were past this). I stopped at 57yds.

4. Now reverser into forward and set the correct switch on the map. Proceed and couple to formation.

5. A green light* should activate when the "go via location - Mountain View" instruction is displayed. Set the switch and from here and I prepared to move to the front locomotive.

*If it is still red at this point then something glitched. You do not need to get permission. It stayed red a lot of the time for me when going too far past the "go via" instructions (the ones where you change direction).

The passenger train arriving 04:35 will be held at red if your signal is green. However, depending how long you take up until the formation, it can actually go before you. I don't think this train causes any glitch as I did these steps again after 04:35 and was given a green light still. Just it was in front of me this time. Every time I stopped too far from the markers it was always red and could never go green.

• Like Like x 1
  9. bartolomaeusz

bartolomaeusz Well-Known Member

This totally worked - thank you!

10. RynoHawk

RynoHawk Member

Okay totally newb question only somewhat on topic; So I can switch ends/locos when required to go the opposite direction in without ending the journey? I always worried when I go to sit in the drivers seat and it asks if I want to abandon my current service/journey.

11. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

Yes, use Ctrl + when you are sitting in the driver's seat. It will warp you to different cabs.

12. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Never knew this, and there’s me running 900yds on sand patch. Lesson to learn, read instructions.