Suggestion: Dmus And Emus

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by nigeldarl2, Sep 22, 2019.

Tags:
?
  1. Yes

77.8%
  2. No

22.2%
  1. nigeldarl2

nigeldarl2 New Member

could we have more first gen dmus

Derby suburban Class 116
    [​IMG]

Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. Ltd Cross Country Class 119
    [​IMG]

Swindon Cross Country Class 120
    [​IMG]

Swindon Intercity Class 123
    [​IMG]

Transpennine Swindon Class 124
    [​IMG]

Also 2nd gen emus like

Class 310
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  2. Random Railfan

Random Railfan Well-Known Member

We need the 310 right now

• Like Like x 1
  3. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

So long as we have the routes to go with them... no point having old DMU or EMU units if we don't have the period routes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Random Railfan

I think it would be fine if DTG made a WCML south route from Euston to Coventry set in the modern day and used stuff from the European Asset Pack for the AI trains in scenarios for the 310.

5. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Yes we need more of the older, proper trains, not the plastic types of today. Bring on the 4CORs and 4SUBs I say.

As for backdated routes and more, look here. https://backdatedtrainsim.weebly.com/route-downloads.html

And here. https://www.vulcanproductions.co.uk/

Without wishing to hijack this thread I see that someone has voted No. I really fail to see the point of a No vote in this context, it's trolling. If people aren't interested in the proposed content then they should either ignore it or give a reason for their objection.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Random Railfan

Probably that Dean guy who claimed that you're a communist.

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I see another person has voted No to this proposal.
    Perhaps those who have voted no should air their views here as to why they object to these suggestions. Or are they just trolls?

Back on topic, I like the look of the Swindon 123.

8. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

So far DTG have made DMUs that can be used on the routes they make.
    Unless a route is available I don't see DTG making any others - however they did make the BR Class 402 - 2-Hal emu which was withdrawn well before the routes we have are set. so there is a possibility.

Class 104 could be made for the Weardale and Teesdale route as these sets were based in the Newcastle area
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_104
    Class 115 could be made for the Liverpool to Manchester via Warrington Central route as the sets were common on the line before newer Pacer and Sprinter trains took over.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_115

Peter

• Like Like x 1
  9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A slight problem with setting a Euston to Coventry route (Why not Birmingham New St) is the Class 310 units were withdrawn in 2002 so a route set with Pendolinos and Voyagers would not look right with a 310

Peter

• Like Like x 2
  10. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Aside from the fact that any additional content is a good thing, these old 50s and 60s DMUs – for me – don't hold that much immediate interest. I actually initially read this thread thinking it was about TSW (I've already added a suggestion to better differentiate forum threads in the New Posts list), where we already have the 101 and plenty of dirty 50s BR stuff, but very little in the way of fresh, modern UK trains. The Trans Pennine and Tees Valley DLC for TSW are set in that grim period of British Rail history where everything was tired, dirty and in need of modernisation; the closest thing we have to a new British train is the GWE Class 166 (early 90s) and HST (70s) so in that context, I'd say no purely on the grounds that there are many other trains I'd rather see.

Suggesting that people should only ever answer yes to a poll makes it a fairly pointless exercise - the no option allows you to see that some people might actually be less interested in the suggestion, rather than have those people ignoring the thread and assume 100% of people desperately want it. Would I like to see these trains in the game? Yes, sure, I'd like to see every train in the game. But would I want them to devote immediate resources to that which would otherwise be spent on something else? No.

11. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

^^ Points taken but a No vote suggests an emphatic No unless backed up with a reasoned response. As for the Yes vote reaching 100% then DTG could use figures gleaned from that to consider as to whether to make the content being proposed.

Yes the BR blue period was grim but it was, (for me) more interesting; more infrastructure, the variety of locos and other stock. Modern railways don't interest me at all but I would never put a No vote to any proposal.

12. Random Railfan

Yeah but maybe it could use stuff from the Euro asset pack, include AI-only trains, or include the Class 86 and 87 in the pack.

13. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

good Idea for the game it will do great on the great eastern mainline

14. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Have just spotted this thread, it is a subject I am often "banging on" about.

There are certainly some of DTG's payware routes where DMU's could be used.

Riviera in the 50's - they released a diesel hydraulic pack - DMU's had come into the area and starting taking over local duties and cross country duties before the loco's, apart from the very first Warships. A class 116, 120 and 122 would be suitable for the area at this time.

Western Lines of Scotland - they could release a Derby Lightweight for the Carlisle area.

West Coast over Shap - a Derby 108 maybe for the Morecombe branch service, would also be usable on backdated scenarios on Liverpool to Manchester or North Wales coast.

They could release the class 107 and 114 (listed as a 118 originally IIRC) which I assume they have in the collection they aquired from IHH.

There are examples of stock being supplied or bought out for routes that don't quite fit the timescale. Not only that but the myriad of freeware routes which would benefit from more DMU's would create a market surely, even for stock not supplied with scenarios.

Caledonia Works seems to do well with building steam engines most of which are for routes well before anything produced commercially.

The South Lancashire and Cheshire freeware route is crying out for a class 108 and when they finish the extension to Crewe a class 304 will be sorely missed.

15. Wivenswold

Wivenswold Well-Known Member

I'm baffled by the argument that you can't wish for stock that will be from a different era on a route.
    Really I am.
    If an AM9 in original maroon were released tomorrow I would drive it up and down the modern GEML until someone used the opportunity to do a backdated version of the route. So absolutely. Any AC Slam door will please me but I guess ideally it'll be one with the widest appeal, 310 and/or 312 fit that bill, as do 305/307/308/309 given their later lives spent up north.
    I'll bow to those with greater knowledge of DMUs away from the South East but as I've said elsewhere, if DTG can't or aren't going to update the game with modern rolling stock, then concentrate on late BR early privatisation and provide retro realism for TS, modernity in TSW2.

• Like Like x 1
  16. theorganist

Agree with this. Look at WCML over shap, ostensibly it is set in the modern day but shipped with a blue class 87, 47 and period wagons and carriages and no-one batted an eyelid. Liverpool to Manchester was built in the current period but came with a regional railways class 158 and a railfreight class 47, it isn't a problem. Most routes haven't changed hugely I don't think from say the 1980's to the 2000's, I suspect they will over the next couple of decades with incab sginalling etc. I create scenarios on the Riviera Line (modern version) using my 1989 working timetable with class 50's and first generation DMU's, it works fine like that, once you have populated the route with period trains you don't notice really. The only time I don't do this is if the route has changed dramatically, ie signalling totally changed or major changes to station of track work. It is all about creating an illusion at the end of the day.

Whilst I am sure many will purchase an item of stock and only use the scenarios with it or quick drives, many will purchase the stock to use on any suitable route they own, many freeware. For example if a class 304 was released it would get plenty of use from me on the South Lancashire and Cheshire route.

As I have said before, Caledonian works produce steam engines going back to the 19th century, he seems to do well selling those, indeed I have some yet many of those don't have "suitable" payware routes, yet purchasers must be driving them somewhere!

• Like Like x 1
  17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

If any Units were released in the BR Blue/Grey livery I think various repaints would appear quite quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

A class 104 would be nice to see.

• Like Like x 2
  19. theorganist

Definitely, one of the most characterful DMU's. And there are many routes they could be used on. I could imagine ratlling down to Chester on an all blue one on the South Lancashire route, or a green one running up to Middleton in Teesdale.

If I had the money I would commission someone to build one but sadly I am not rich enough!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

... a white striped one from Blackpool to Man Vic would be great. I'm not sure such a route exists in TS though. There's a route that goes from Preston to Man Vic, but it goes via Wigan for some reason, despite being set in the 70s.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  22. theorganist

Yes they are good, the South Devon 1985 route on the site is excellent too, in fact VP have some excellent reskins (they have created a nice library of class 47 reskins) and routes available.

It would be good if a skillful reskinner could create a green one with the headcode panel as one would sit usefully alongside the diesel Hydraulics on the Riviera in the 50's route if you want to do some early 60's transition period scenarios.

23. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

There is a green 117 at VP although it has the central headlight which doesn't look right for the 60s era.

24. theorganist

Thanks, yes I have seen that. Sadly when DTG released the 117's they aquired they only released the blanked headcode box versions, even though they will have the original green one amongst their acquisitions.

I don't understand why they don't release them and other items they acquired from IHH on the market place, they would make money, even if it wasn't much and users would have some useful additions and a few gaps would be filled.

The large LMS tanks would be useful, the 82 would be useful, the DMU's would be useful, Duke of Gloucester would make a nice piece of DLC too.

25. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I've been suggesting that DTG re-release the IHH cataloge for many moons. Could be copyright issues that prevent it.

26. theorganist

I have too, I might try contacting them direct, and will probably be told nothing, but worth a try. It could be copyright, although I can't see what copyright would stop them releasing a LMS 2-6-4T or a class 107 DMU. Duke of Gloucester, maybe as it seems you can copyright loco names now, I was astonished that some of the Westerns on TSW had numbers but no names, apparently they weren't allowed to use them, I find it slightly baffling if I am honest. I would have thought if anything it would be a bit of publicity for them!

27. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

IIRC VictoryWorks were working on an LMS 2-6-4T, that was a while ago.

EDIT, just had a look at the VictoryWorks site and no mention of it there. I know it's out there somewhere.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2020
  28. theorganist

Meshtools were, in fact DTG even put one of their articles up about it, so people assumed it was an imminent release, especially as screenshots showed it in a finished state. However this was a couple of years ago and from I can see there has been no sign of it since!

29. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I could use an LMS 2-6-4T as some were transferred to the Southern Region until replaced by Standard 4Ts.
    Apologies for thread drift.

• Like Like x 1
  30. theorganist

Yes that's true I had forgot about the Southern. They would be very useful for many routes, WLOS and S & C being two plus they would have appeared on the Shap part of the Stainmore route, I think there were some shedded in the Leamington area so they would be useful on the Wycombe route.