So Route Length Is Not The Main Problem, Then What Must Have It To Be Interesting For You?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by grdaniel48, Aug 1, 2020.

1. grdaniel48

grdaniel48 Well-Known Member

After today Q&A related to the routes in general, Matt confirmed there is no technical limitation about the route length, despite of course it will take more time to build and have it available. Which of course is reasonable.
    He mentioned their looking for routes to be interesting to drive. Not just drive miles and miles. I completely agree!
    So which will be the conditions a route must have, to be interesting for you?
    Please share your thoughts and comments about it

• Like Like x 2
  2. Oo7 BELL 7oO

Oo7 BELL 7oO Active Member

For me, I would like a passenger route that could include freight that is around 30 miles long and if possible have it set in Britain with a variety of electric and diesel trains (sprinters possibly) and regional stations with possibly an express service every so often.

3. davidhu33333

davidhu33333 New Member

I would really love to see the Bucharest M2 subway line added. For me, this route would be interesting because it has a fast accelerating and fast braking train, with plenty of stops and the need to be on time. Keep in mind that I grew up near this line and used it a lot. Would be a dream to get to operate subways on this line on TSW https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/bucharest-metro-m2-berceni-pipera.24700/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  4. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

I would like any length, providing that there is services that can run shorter distances such as in RRO the Local Wuppertal service.

5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

What about a hump yard? Then we could uncouple cars and then watch them roll into their respective tracks, just like in real life.
    Suggestions: BNSF/ATSF Barstow Yard and UP Bailey Yard

6. grdaniel48

That is interesting.
    But I believe will be complicated to operate the switches manually on the map - as you do not have an specific control panel about it - so you will miss the cars going down, most the time!

7. grdaniel48

For me a route to be interesting must be the combination of several elements:
    - I believe a route might have at least 100 km long minimum, in order to provide a variety of driving alternatives.
    - It might have different surface situations: could be just a big mountain pass - like Cajon Pass or Sand Path Grade - but could be also a route with continuous ups and downs, so you have to continuously controlling throttle and brakes
    - It might have several curves of different radius to provide same as above, continuous control of the train.
    Flat and straight line routes are boring!
    - It might have interesting elements in the route, like a special bridge or tunnel, or something special to see it.
    - It might been several and different trains running on it!. Both passenger and freight ones.
    - It might have different driving situations for each ride (scenario or timetable). For example yellow and red lights, you have to reduce speed, or stop waiting for another train to pass, or change of track due to a special situation of the route or other train, etc.

Passenger trains must accomplish timetables,
    Freight trains have challenges about the big weight plus terrain situations

Do you agree? Do you like to add an extra requirement?

• Like Like x 1
  8. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

As long as it has realistic start and finishing points its fine with me. From my point of view with UK routes they stop short of a realistic length with regard driver changeover points. I cant comment on other countries. But it was pointed out by Matt that, level of detail vs length is the key! And with the TPN and TVL route this is the case, But ive just walked all of the Brighton to Eastbourne route and miles of it has no boundary fencing!! Even the GWR route has that and that is a poor route.

9. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

We had that back in the 50s and 60s with a man running along by the wagon with a brake stick trying to pin down the brakes:P lots of money wasted because by the mid 60s into the 70s along came bulk trains, the sea container, and the motorway. so we lost hump yards In the late 60s.

10. Purno

Purno Well-Known Member

Pretty much that it needs to be different from the stuff I already have. A different landscape, different railway systems, different architecture, different trains.

Which is why I'd really prefer a route from another country. Although I can quite enjoy the UK/US/DE routes, I've already seen my fair share of those in my 2000+ hours of playtime in Train Simulator. They do start to look very similar. Give me something new. Plenty of countries to choose from.

More older trains would be nice too. It's nice we have modern, historic and heritage trains for the UK routes, but so far we only have modern stuff for the US and German routes.

11. apilot53

apilot53 New Member

Realistic end points are what I care about, I hate the way they did the LIRR ronkonkoma branch that doesn't even go fully to Ronkonkoma. Stopping at Hicksville feels so incomplete.

12. grdaniel48

Edward, I know Matt mentioned the level of detail.
    But the point is, when you are driving a train... you are inside the locomotive cab, looking mainly what you have in front on you, and it also depends of the window size too. Sometimes very small one.
    Furthermore you normally go at certain speed, so no much time to see the scenery and details.
    Exploring the routes by walking on with Free movement camera I have discovered really nice details.
    But I noticed them by doing that, on the locomotive cab, you can not see it!

Recently I decided to go walking to the power plant on the german route Rugh Sieg Nord route, and it have lot of details.
    Even an important one, you can not see from the locomotive - at least on PS4 -, is the smoke! Even is far away from the track.
    It have a branch to it, but it is not electrified. So you can not drive to it!
    Then great details, but you can not even see them when driving a train!.

13. 6233Jess

6233Jess Well-Known Member

Personally I would love to see Settle and Carlisle in the unreal engine, fair point there’s not too much traffic, but I still think it has the potential to look absolutely fantastic. Ultimately I’m sure both ourselves and DTG would love to recreate every route there is

• Like Like x 1
  14. jeaglesone

jeaglesone Member

I’ve been hoping for a while for the Thameslink Core to be made in some iteration (but preferably during the time of Class 319s) to allowmfor the facility to do voltage switches. Now we know that the upcoming London-Faversham will have this, but we’ve already seen that in TS.

15. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

Without a doubt the Pacific Surfliner! It’s one of the most gorgeous routes on the West Coast of America and is the 3rd busiest Amtrak line in America. It has a fresh new mix of scenery to the cities of Los Angeles to the gorgeous beaches of San Clemente and Santa Barbara! A coastline limited stop passenger train would make a great fit into TSW!

16. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I would like to see routes that haven’t been developed for TS2020 and also some routes in countries not yet seen in TSW, Africa, Australia, Different parts of Asia and Europe as well as South America.

There must be a few TSW owners in different parts of the world that would love a route in their region.

Developers like Rivet, bringing out Isle of Wight an 8 mile route that you can buy in the steam sale these days for a couple of guid is boring. I am sure that they will do an excellent job of it, but they would have excited me more with a different route than one already portrayed before for Steam and a freebee in UKTS!!!

17. fabdiva

fabdiva Well-Known Member

I'd be interested to see what pricing is on the IoW - might be a lower price given the shorter length. (Plus I can understand Rivet starting with something short as they learn how to route build on TSW) - Still not something that would interest me though.

I'm fine with short routes with lots of challenges for the player, so dense speed limit changes, gradients, dense AI so you are not constantly running on greens. Stuff that isn't set cruise control and come back in 10 mins. I suggested a shorter route recently - the Keio Inokashira Line - it's only 7 miles long but with 17 stations, a mix of express and stopping services leaving at 4 minute intervals (meaning the express will be chasing yellows when it catches the stopper up near the loops) I'm pretty sure it would be more entertaining then a longer route at a constant speed with no stops.

18. argyle_smurf

argyle_smurf Well-Known Member

I'd like to see an area with multiple short routes. Something like Cornwall in its entirety, with all the branch lines, or all the commuter routes out of Charing Cross and London Bridge, so you could do Dartford via Charlton once, then Catford or Orpington next. I realise that would be a massive undertaking though...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Maverick_ng

Maverick_ng Active Member

It should be end to end. But for high speed lines it can be around 3 or 4 stops