My Scariest Tsw2020 Experience

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by TheShotte, Aug 2, 2020.

1. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

So I was just playing a Timetable Service on the Peninsula Corridor. Specifically, the MP15DC Extra 07: Rescue Failed Train service. I've managed to bring the failed train back to CEMOF, shunt the failed Gallery Cab Car back to a siding, and I had just connected a replacement Gallery Cab Car to it. The train itself was on Fuel Track #2, and at this point, I was to get over to the other side of CEMOF using Fuel Track #1. So I'm on my way, literally passing the train on my right, and I look dead ahead and I see a train heading right for me! After quickly inspecting the trackage I realize that this train has no outlet and is heading right for me! I swiftly drop to Idle and fully engage my independent brake, stopping dead, and so does the oncoming train. We were both doing the 10 Mph speed limit, so this wasn't a problem. I've never been so exhilarated playing this game. Anyway, I threw my loco into reverse and went way out to try to escape the train, which ended up backing into one of the CEMOF shed tracks. At this point, I'm pretty sure the game was fully bugged though because I was standing in front of the signals and trying to do the "Contact Dispatcher" option, but wasn't getting the "No track available" or "Proceed at restricted speed" messages. So I decided to pull in and naturally, got a SPAD.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  2. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

Ok, that sounds pretty exciting (and unexpected). Just curious- have you tried this scenario more than once, and does this happen every time you run it? Finally, I’m assuming this prevented you from completing the scenario?

3. TheShotte

Yeah I previously completed this scenario without any problems.

4. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty fun, lol. Though it's a shame that the dispatcher bugged out afterwards.

5. Stockton Rails

Stockton Rails Well-Known Member

That is interesting. Sounds like this is the first and only time you’ve run into this issue...how many times have you actually played and completed this scenario? I dug up the youtube video below... this guy had no issues. Very strange.

6. TheShotte

This would've been the 2nd time. First time was with absolutely no issues, earning a gold medal in the process too. The only thing I can think of to make it do this was that I was kind of taking my sweet time, taking screenshots in between whereas the first time I did everything promptly.

7. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

I'm having the same issue

8. DruidsNectar

DruidsNectar Guest

I think this behaviour is caused by poor or limited AI complexity in the scenario.
    I believe the problem is something along these lines, the AI locos are given a start and end point, and given a definitive start time. Once that start time is reached the AI loco sets off and proceeds to make it's way to its defined end point. During this journey it will switch points as required, and be completely oblivious of other loco movements, specifically the player's loco.

I had a similar problem in NPT NH01 service. You can read about my difficulties here: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/am-i-missing-something-npt-nh01-service.34630/
    In a nutshell, due to taking my time manually switching points etc, the AI loco would always beat me to the sidings where I was supposed to drop the wagons. Essentially it would block me from reaching the marker to progress the scenario. As far as the scenario story goes the AI loco would be the loco in one of the following scenarios that would then take those wagons on to their next destination.
    I had to attempt this scenario several times before managing to complete it. In those attempts I was once "rammed" by the AI loco because my loco was straddling a set of points and the accident caused the scenario to end. Another attempt saw me get blocked when attempting to reach the siding for the second drop off. In an effort to complete the scenario I even attempted to push the AI loco out of the way (back the way it came) but as soon as I switched the points behind me for the second siding the AI would immediately switch the points back for the first siding (its intended destination), meaning I could never reach my drop off point.
    I eventually completed this scenario, doing everything manually, but I had to run everywhere, employ harsh acceleration and braking techniques, and have complete familiarity of the route and current state of the points at the start (so I new which ones I could pass through). Ultimately it felt rushed and unrealistic, making for a disappointing experience.

So it seems the scenarios are just a timeline of events that happen regardless of what the current situation in the world is. It destroys any realism, and assumes that you will execute your tasks by a specific point in time, that isn't shown anywhere, and in some cases gives insufficient time to complete those tasks in a true simulated fashion.

It would help somewhat if the markers on the scenario showed the time you needed to reach them by. At least you'd know if your progress was on track. Better still it would help if the AI took note of an occupied track and waited, as would happen in real life.

I do wonder if this is why the scenario designer is so limited, because there are many more things that need to be worked out with the AI.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

PXL_20210604_145036239.jpg I'm having the same issue, I've never been able to complete it. I've even tried letting the AI give it a try.

10. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

I've had something similar on a tvl class 08 timetable run very recently. Chased into a corner of tees yard by an oncoming pair of class 20s. Quite intimidating!

There was no way back to my correct line without spadding so restarted the service. Second time round the offending AI was held at a red light further down the line for much much longer. So I suspect it was the dispatcher having a wobble. Added to the variety though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. RGoodellSr

RGoodellSr Member

Some day I want to complete this service

12. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

I had this happen on an early morning NTP shunting job.
    [​IMG]
    There was nothing I could do as the class 08 in front of me was coming to pick up the vans I'd just parked in a siding so I was blocked in.