Remove/disable "do You Want To Give Up Control..."

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Trainmania100, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Just spent the last 2 hours driving Cumberland to Shaw mine, get to the point where I have to attach the loco that leads down into Shaw mine.
    Walking down to it, and stupidly asks me if I want to give up control of the service. Usually I am aware it occasionally asks this but out of flinch I accidentally pressed yes to give up, (3rd time it asked me in the past 5 minutes), lost all of my points and a waste of my evening.

There should be an option to disable this popup, or get rid of it entirely.
    Why would anyone want to give up a service unless they're sitting in a different train?

• Like Like x 10
  2. xavpin234

xavpin234 Member

Pepole would want to give up a service to become a passenger or to explore the line with a head start i think the give up service is a nice feature and it seems you got hit with the badluck moment should we also disable failure at reds because pepole hit that red at the end of a scenario i don't think so I know frustration is not the greatest feeling but removing a feature is not a way to answer it

• Like Like x 2
  3. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well you would want to give up service when you don't really want to play it. If they did remove the option it would be stupid & would create community backlash. A option to turn it off would be nice

• Like Like x 1
  4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

I personally don't think that it should be got rid of but I do think it is currently fundamentally flawed. At the moment you can be doing anything which requires you to press A (or X on PS4) on a controller outside of the driving seat, such as coupling, and if you are unlucky enough for the popup to appear at that moment you risk ending the service as it defaults to yes.
    Instead of having it default to yes it should default to no so if you accidentally click it, the worst that could happen is you close the popup as apposed to ending the service. This to me seems like common sense, and surely cannot be overly difficult to change for the vast amount of times people have ended services by accident.

• Like Like x 5
  5. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I don't think disabling it is a necessary addition, I do think the amount of time it takes to appear should be longer though. I notice it consistently appears any time you need to decouple cars due to how long it take to walk and decouple cars.

• Like Like x 1
  6. KyleL

KyleL Well-Known Member

Well the gods have listened to you Screenshot 2020-09-16 at 5.55.12 PM.png

• Like Like x 2
  7. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

That's great news. It seems like DTG are really listening now, even a small fix like this can make a lot of difference to the player experience.

• Like Like x 2
  8. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

I would rather this popup either be in the pause menu or have a button prompt, instead of it coming up automatically, because I've had it popup anywhere from a few seconds after leaving the cab to 5 minutes after walking away. I want it to popup when I want it to, not whenever the game decides.

• Like Like x 4
  9. sequencer2k16

sequencer2k16 Well-Known Member

Time to pull out this thread again and ask if anything has happened here in the last two years?
    This popup is very annoying, especially when you get out during shunting services to un/couple without using the cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Nothing has happened in the last two years. It still occurs and it can still mess you up as per the OP.

Example, I was running a good challenging service in Clinchfield and arrived at the yard to stop as requested. The service ended and the stats came up. I then chose to return to the game to walk around the yard and explore and take photos. During that time it asked me if I wanted to give up service so I said yes because I wasn't going to drive anymore. But then the conductor took off with the train on me so I didn't even have the chance to get back into it to continue even if I wanted to. So now I'm standing in the yard with no train and no service to continue. I had mistakenly assumed the train would remain in place for my next session, but it obviously did not.

I fully understand this choice and do like it in the game - there's times it is genuinely needed - but I would lobby for it to be lengthened rather than removed. It has purpose and can be useful *IF it functions more like a Pause Game without the actual pause ... more like a "hold in position" than a quit option. If that makes any sense.

On a side note: I always uncouple using external cameras, this is more realistic in practice as it leaves me in the driver's seat to control the train during these operations while also simulating the brakeman's functions.

• Like Like x 2
  11. sequencer2k16

An on/off slider in the menu and everyone would be happy, well, let's wait another two years and then ask again. :D

• Like Like x 6
  12. Princess Entrapta

Princess Entrapta Well-Known Member

Being able to manually choose to give up when we want to surely wouldn't be that hard to implement? It'd make things more convenient both for people who want to use it, who can then use it right away, rather than needing to sit around twiddling their thumbs, and for people who want not to be badgered by the popups for it just because they stretched their legs on the platform while waiting.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

The choice to give up a service should be a button press in the pause screen.

there is no need for the simulation to guess what the user wants to do. think Microsoft eventually learnt that when they retired clippy from MS word.

• Like Like x 7
  14. truestone

truestone New Member

This anti-immersion popup baffled me from the start. They could pop up a message for every action: do you want to open a window, do you want to look at the map, do you want to quit the program? And if you actually want to give up control, you have to wait a lot longer than it takes to indicate your wish in a menu.

On a PC, you can relatively easily disable or postpone it.

15. TSW Nathan

TSW Nathan Well-Known Member

You should be able to disable it via the pause menu. This is a suggestion. Not something that's implemented.

16. Could work on some routes but on a busy route like London commuter what would happen to ai traffic if your train is left at Croydon Station?

17. goochdog#5870

goochdog#5870 Well-Known Member

It annoys me when you say you no longer want control but it still tells you when it’s leaving and when it’s reaching the next station even though you have given up control

• Like Like x 1
  18. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Pardon my asking, but just what does this thread have to do with the clearly declared topic of this thread?

And, just for the record, I admit to sometimes being irritated by being ask whether I want to give up control, I'm also tempted to select "yes" and see what happens. Does another driver/engineer take over? If so, what happens to me?

19. BLRy

BLRy Well-Known Member

Yes the conductor takes control and you end up in the conductor seat unless you’re off the train in which case the conductor takes control and drives away with your train leaving you wherever you chose to step off.

20. nepclassof84

nepclassof84 Well-Known Member

I always make sure to save before I go walking to uncouple cars or something in case I accidentally trigger giving up the service … which I have.

21. steve#7359

steve#7359 Member

Exactly, it should be defaulted on "NO" and not the "Yes". Twice now trying to fill ethanol and I've accidentally given up control. I feel like throwing my controller through the TV.

22. 6233Jess

6233Jess Well-Known Member

On the flip side of all of this:

I recently drove from Dartford to Gravesend, and caught a train as a passenger to Rochester with the intention of taking over a service to Faversham. The game didn’t ask me once if I wanted to give up control of my previous service, which would have worked the return trip to Dartford and beyond. This led to my original Dartford train departing over 20 minutes late once I had taken over another service at Rochester, and subsequently delayed other services around the Gravesend area, which in typical railway fashion, had a domino effect of delays across the rest of the route.

I feel like perhaps adding an additional option to the pause menu to give up control of the service would be good

• Like Like x 1
  23. sequencer2k16

PC users can get rid of this annoying popup with the following engine.ini entry, or set the timer so high that the popup never appears again. In my example, I have given the popup a timer of 10,000 seconds.

[SystemSettings]
    ts2.dbg.RelinquishPromptWaitTime=10000

I hope this helps at least some of you.

24. Migsithepigsi

Migsithepigsi Active Member

I understand what you mean. I think they should:
    -add setting to increase time before it gives a message
    -add setting to disable it or for a set time
    -add "are you sure" if your press yes when confirming to giving up service, with a 2 second wait.