Emd Fp45 And Passenger Cars

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by steammaster4449, Sep 22, 2020.

?
  1. Why yes I would.

94.4%
  2. Nah, not really.

5.6%
  1. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Edit: I'm putting this edit up top to let those who see this know to continue on down to see my continuation of the suggestion through the Milwaukee Road's FP45's.
    I'm aware that we already have the F45 in-game, with reskins available on various websites, but the FP45 IS a different animal that was originally built for different purposes, but that does mean one could take the current F45 model and use it as reference whilst making a new, high quality FP45 model, and have it available in the various liveries and configurations the FP45's have had throughout the years, from the Santa Fe to the Wisconsin Central, with and without gryralites, with and without simulated steam heat, and for what-if scenarios, have Amtrak liveries with both properly simulated steam heat and head end power plugs and cables and proper HEP simulation. Granted, this might be asking for a bit much, but hey, we've seen some pretty advanced things come out for Train Sim in recent years, so I think having something that's quite possibly around the level of Armstrong Powerhouse's Class 68 Enhancement Pack IS doable. Why, the majority of sounds could either be recorded directly from any of the operable FP45's in preservation or one could work with Searchlight Simulations to use their 20 cylinder EMD 645 sound pack as the majority of sounds for the locos, with any other needed sounds being added in.

Now, in regards to the passenger cars, it'd be nice to have some Santa Fe passenger cars that the FP45's would've pulled in regular service, from RPO's and heavyweights all the way up to the hi-levels and transition cars they pulled on the El Capitan and Super Chief. Granted, the whole deal with BNSF being nitpicky about logos and all that jazz would end up being a problem, but one could negate this by leaving the models unbranded and all, but then that leaves the branding up to reskiners and there's most likely people out there who don't like dealing with installing reskins, but hey, their loss. FP45 El Capitan.jpeg WC Warbonnet FP45.jpeg Wisconsin Central FP45.jpeg SF 108.jpeg Model SF Baggage Dormitory Transition Car.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  2. steammaster4449

Model Hi-Level 1.jpeg Model Hi-Level 2.jpeg Santa Fe Dome.jpeg Santa Fe Super Dome.jpeg SF Observation.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  3. steammaster4449

SF 92.jpeg Santa Fe 92.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  4. steammaster4449

Why shoot, if one so desired to, they could make both as built steam heat equipped and Amtrak certified HEP equipped versions of the passenger cars with good quality interior views for the majority of them, whilst having head out views for the baggage cars.

5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

I would love an ATSF FP45 pack with passenger cars. The El Capitan or a Full Dome could have some impressive views of the scenery. Milwaukee Road also had FP45s, which could easily be made for TS2021. If so, we'd need a MR route, a Hiawatha passenger consist, and a couple other 1960s-70s era diesels and some freight equipment. What I would really want is an ATSF FP45/F45 pack with an ATSF FP45 in Warbonnet livery, an F45 in Catwhisker and/or Blue/Yellow Warbonnet freight livery, and both freight and passenger cars.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Uncle Chuckles

Uncle Chuckles Member

We already have a chunk of the passenger cars used by the El Capitan within DTM's Amtrak SDP40F pack.

• Like Like x 1
  7. steammaster4449

Oh hey you're right. Well hey, means there's no need for new models of those. The current models could definitely use some texture upgrades and perhaps some new interior views, but overall, pretty solid cars. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

8. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

The FP45 is one of my favorite passenger locomotives, and I often wonder why Amtrak didn't buy them and instead bought SDP40F's, as the '45's were so successful. I would love to be able to head the El Capitan or Super Chief with these at the helm, but I know I've said this before, BNSF licensing exists, so it probably won't happen. But who knows?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Uncle Chuckles

Uncle Chuckles Member

The SDP40Fs were designed specifically for Amtraks needs while the FP45 of which were just an SDP45 with a shell, made for both passenger and freight service. The 45-series was already known to be prone to mechanical issues (crankshaft failures due to the strain of a 20-cylinder prime mover). FP45s weren't that successful either, only have 14 produced.

10. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

Interesting. Though crankshaft failure is an issue, it's better than constant derailments due to harmonic vibration and uneven weight distribution. Maybe if there was an in between, the overall success of the series may have been better?

• Like Like x 2
  11. steammaster4449

The SDP40F's were also designed to be quickly converted over to freight service upon the expected belly up of Amtrak, so they had the proper gearing for that, but as history shows, that wasn't the case and the SDP40F's quickly showed off their flaws.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

EMD did fix the issues with the SD45s, so they (and also the FP45s and F45s) were very successful once the modifications were introduced. Also, I've seen videos and photos of ATSF's 4-8-4 #3751 heading an excursion train with 2 ATSF FP45s. The #3751 would be a fantastic engine to recreate the excursion.

• Like Like x 1
  13. steammaster4449

Fun fact: Those are most likely photographs and videos of 3751's first excursion after her restoration. Back then, she had a Santa Fe 5 chime freight whistle instead of the Santa Fe long bell 6 chime everyone's used to her having nowadays. It was also a multi-day excursion that ran over both Cajon and Tehachapi Passes in both directions. And it would most certainly be fantastic to have a Santa Fe Northern DLC, consisting of the 3751 class along with the similarly designed 3765 class and the massive 2900's, which are the second most powerful 4-8-4's constructed. They're bested by the N&W J's by 5,013 pounds of tractive effort, but they ARE the largest and heaviest 4-8-4's and passenger steam locomotives ever constructed. I mean, 79,968 pounds of tractive effort DOES lend itself rather well to heavy crack passenger trains and long drag freights. ANYWAYS, one would have to try to navigate BNSF's oh so foolish licensing and branding policies to get the DLC available internationally and not just confined to the U.S.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  14. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Nice locomotive idea, steammaster4449, why do you like this locomotive and what scenarios would you use? Certainly looks a great railtour in the pictures.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steammaster4449

Allo Jamie. I'd say my fondness of EMD's 20 cylinder locomotives, the 45 series and SD80MAC's respectively, as well as the overall look of the FP45 was what drew me in. Plus, the Santa Fe's Warbonnet paint scheme has always been a favorite among American railfans. Also, seeing as to how the FP45 was the last class of passenger loco bought by the railroads before the dawn of Amtrak, it's certainly got potential for numerous scenarios. Speaking of, included scenarios could be passenger scenarios for Santa Fe routes that are set back in the 60's and 70's, as well as freight scenarios set from '71 to the BNSF merger, due to the Santa Fe using them in hot shot intermodal service after Amtrak took over. One could also have some railtour, or excursion as they're know over here in the States, scenarios. If the routes exist, there IS the possibility for some museum based free roam scenarios on the Workshop.

Edit: If the route gets made, there could be some Marketplace scenarios for this route:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...urfliner-san-luis-obispo-to-los-angeles.5164/
    Edit 2: Corrected "...the last class of loco bought by the railroads..." to "...the last class of passenger loco bought by the railroads..."

Last edited: Oct 14, 2021
  16. steammaster4449

Alright, so as to possibly inject some new life into this lil ol' thread of mine, and in the possibility of it being made, it getting a worldwide release, I'm going to suggest that instead of it being primarily a Santa Fe FP45 DLC, it instead be a Milwaukee Road FP45 DLC because the MILW was the other owner of EMD's FP45 series of locos. They initially used them in passenger services and had them in the Union Pacific's Armour Yellow livery due to a consolidation of passenger services between the two roads. Right before Amtrak's takeover, the Milwaukee placed their FP45's in freight service and put them into their normal freight paint scheme. Anyways, let's have some pictures of the Milwaukee's FP45's and the passenger and freight trains they pulled.
    Disclaimer: I do NOT own any of these photographs and videos, nor do I claim to. I'm putting these here to show what they looked like throughout their service lives.
    Another thing, please let me know if you are unable to get any photos to load up on the page and are only getting a small icon. I'll make another post with any photos that aren't loading for you.
    Another another thing, I've included a video of Milwaukee Road 261 from 2019 to show the kinda passenger cars the FP45's would've pulled back in the day, albeit in the Armour Yellow scheme and not the standard MILW orange and red. Also, please note that the tool car directly behind the 261 is her original tool car and that it's actually a rebuilt beaver-tail observation car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And that's enough for this post.
    Edit: Added that last photo.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

It wouldn't be hard to avoid BNSF, just do what Raton Pass did, remove logos for international customers.

18. steammaster4449

I'm aware but people prefer branded locos over unbranded so I'm playing, so to speak, according to that.

19. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Makes sense, even though one could grab logo decals from a site like Railworks America.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

There's one major problem I see with the MILW version, where would it run? There are no MILW routes, and I don't believe any of the other routes would make sense either. That's not a issue with a ATSF version, if I understand correctly it could probably be put on either Pacific Surfliner or Raton Pass. Also rolling stock would be easier for a Santa Fe version, DTM made some good ATSF Hi-Levels that would be great for a passenger FP45 consist. And I'm pretty certain the intermodal stock included with Raton could be used for it in a more modern context.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I think at this point, it would be best if someone asked DTM if they would be interested in making an ATSF FP45 with both branded and unbranded models, as well as the Hi Levels (If they still have those models.)

• Like Like x 1
  22. treid09

treid09 Guest

I am in absolute agreement with you, FP45s would be a addition to TS 2021. Might I also suggest a collaboration with Searchlight Simulations, since they created an enhancement pack for the F45?

Also, I certainly would not mind an unbranded model if means another Warbonnet makes it into TS. God bless and take care!

treid09

• Like Like x 1
  23. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Not only that, but we need a good SD75I in CN livery. Since the BNSF one is not available internationally. I wonder if Searchlight would do the F45 in BNSF or Santa Fe to start with? So many trains locked by this license that DTG cannot seem to expand.