Get To Know The Livery Designer

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 19, 2020.

1. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

If you have questions after seeing the new livery designer, this is a good place to ask them.

Get more details on what's included in the Livery Designer here and come up with a way to make your train your own.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 12
  2. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

68E8D128-FDC9-4C4E-B0A8-659029D8455B.jpeg I am definitely not going to re-create this Guilford livery (Whistles).
    Actually, I am way excited to attempt to...not do that.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Why do I have an urge to do a rude livery? Rude liveried train going into a tunnel and all that.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

If my internet where to go down,would livery designer still work?

5. matthewbguilford

FBC97A44-189C-4D2A-ACC4-51FE9BE84AE2.jpeg 51DE7CA2-40DF-4C03-9FA2-E7A4420771AF.jpeg
    It really did not occur to me that I could make liveries of trains on my local railroad. Very very enthusiastic about trying!

• Like Like x 2
  6. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

The ICE3 with eggplant purple on the nose-cone.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Well I can't wait until tomorrow to try this puppy out. But so far I've ony see the locos getting painted and not a single image of the rolling stocks (other than the EMU trainset) getting painted. And yes, I'm talking about the US wagons.

• Like Like x 3
  8. matthewbguilford

If your worried we won’t be able to customize the USA freight wagons we will be able too, even though we haven’t seen it. Graffiti those things up!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

My worry isn't about if we can paint them. My question is, are we gonna paint them individually, or as a consist like the EMUs?

• Like Like x 1
  10. matthewbguilford

I see! That’s a good question. I would assume we would be able to pick the type of wagon we wish to edit and it would randomly put it on some of the wagons in the route. That way if you had 3 different liveries for one wagon, it would randomly place those 3 on wagons throughout the route. I do recall them a referring to this in one of the Q&As but can’t remember the exact answer. I bet we will get a real answer from Mr.Protagonist as it’s a good question!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2020
    • Like Like x 3
  11. NeilM4472

NeilM4472 New Member

I've read and watch everything available, so please correct me if I'm wrong in saying, I was so excited in the Livery Designer element of TSW 2 that I was already planning a total redesign of all the UK diesel's i.e. class 31, class 45 etc. and run them on West Somerset add-on, as an avid model railway enthusiast I model in the 1960's and the switch between steam to diesel, but am I correct in saying there will be no logo's available for example the BR logo in any form? 118215739_310875266826179_3520095848695039835_n.jpg

12. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist just out of curiosity, re: the FAQ about custom images being added to the livery designer, is that a definitive "no," or is that an "officially, no, but some enterprising individuals may find a way"?

There are no logos included in the livery designer, and you can't design liveries on preserved content like the Class 31 or 45.

13. NeilM4472

NeilM4472 New Member

I've not seen anything saying there are limited loco's that you can customise, now I'm confused, I've read "In Train Sim World 2 you can create custom liveries for your locomotives" I hope this will be the case and I hope this will be possible as route add-ons become available.

14. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

It won't work on Preserved Collection.

• Like Like x 2
  15. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

From the Frequently Asked Questions thread.

16. NeilM4472

NeilM4472 New Member

17. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Shotgun drawing a pen!s first! And after covering each consist in warning pictures like some wacky collage

• Like Like x 1
  18. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

With this new feature, DTG should totally make a contest out of it. Also, if we get an editor, maybe a group could finally get some ATSF or BNSF diesels in the game. BNSF/ATSF SD40-2s and GP38-2s would look awesome.

• Like Like x 1
  19. trigzd

trigzd Active Member

They've confirmed we won't be getting an editor, at least not to be released for casual players due to licensing issues.

20. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

A BNSF Warbonnet AC4400 would look pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

I'm having some trouble with the livery editor with the american locos cause they have railings so my question is how do I get them to stay the same colour for example the loco is blue but I want the railings to be black but they stay blue

• Like Like x 1
  22. Anthony Pecoraro

Place a shape over the railings, then set the bottom projection slider to the left until it only covers the railing. Then set the top projection slider to the right so that it covers all of tge railing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

Thanks this has helped

24. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

Is it me or is there no way to accurately set the paint colour? I pain one loco in a nice colour, then have to select colours for the other locos.. But there is no way to ensure you select the exact same colour. Another gripe is the inability to actually type text. It's terrible to have to select each and every letter one by one. Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this.

25. Anthony Pecoraro

There will be hex code added later.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Luke8899

Luke8899 Well-Known Member

As mentioned above, hex codes are coming at some point in the near future. A work around for now though is:

1) Create a layer
    2) Select a square shape
    3) Place square on side of loco/carriage
    4) Stretch the square until it covers the whole of one side of the carriage*
    5) Set the colour**
    6) Press options and set both projection settings to 100%, which will replicate that layer on both sides of the car, ensuring consistent colour
    7) Copy that layer to ever other loco/carriage in the consist

*You can change the camera angle to see when the square covers the entire side of the loco/carriage.
    **You cannot go back and change the colour without having to redo the whole process and delete the previous layers so choose wisely

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Train Sim World 2® 2020-09-28 17-31-46.png

• Like Like x 5
  28. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The whole train could look like one, maybe with eyes to remove any offence.

29. Tay95

Tay95 Well-Known Member

Epic. [let's no go there - Protagonist]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 3, 2020
  30. mrchuck

mrchuck Well-Known Member

I would definitely like to see some Amtrak Routes on train sim world 2 someday in the future.

31. PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā

PhÜnKî_Rø0sTā Well-Known Member

A feature that should be upgraded at some point, and hopefully does comma is the addition of allowing text boxes. This means that instead of placing individual letters as layers, you could type what you want on the side of the train, and it would create a layer of what you've typed - would save a lot of hassle

• Like Like x 1
  32. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Make layer groups able to be saved so we don't have to keep making logos each time we do a different piece of equipment. I'm struggling with the SNCF logo and would love to make it once and have it usable for all things, same as how Forza does it.

Numerical clues as to the angle of an item would be nice too, so if something is 45⁰ and another one is 47⁰ you could see it wasn't a match and align it correctly. Having to eyeball things is really annoying.

Also, if you are going to have random numbers generated on locomotives we should have a box that randomly matches the number to the sides, it looks weird making a design with no number on the side because it won't match the number boards.

• Like Like x 1
  33. Jannerdunk

Jannerdunk Well-Known Member

Maybe it just me, but as a PC user, I find the controls, which have obviously designed with the consoles and joypads in mind, really difficult and counter intuitive to use. Things I'd expect to be able to do with mouse by selecting, pointing/clicking and dragging are keyboard only

• Like Like x 2
  34. vogelm10

Weird normally mouse and keyboard is easier for these things....

35. sophieclarke1983

sophieclarke1983 Well-Known Member

How do you do livery designer on a longer consist did a reskin of 395 javelin showed all the cars as done however in reality in game only half javelin carriages have the new pain job other half standard javelin design

• Like Like x 1
  36. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I think that is because the 12 car Javelin is really two trains together, so sometimes it is the trainbow and one other. You are only painting one train so unless you get really lucky and both trains spawn in with the new livery you have to stick to driving 6 car Javelins.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. Vettz13

Vettz13 New Member

Hi there!

I play TSW2 on Xbox one and I'm trying to edit an SD40-2. I want to use two different colors, but it's not letting me add a second color.

I'm trying to recreate a TH&B engine so I need red & cream, but I can't figure out how to add a second color to the engine

38. vogelm10

Layers. You set the base color on paint, then have to add layers for the other colors.

39. Vettz13

Vettz13 New Member

When I click Layers it gives me a selection of shapes, text and logos. No options for a second color.

Attached Files:

40. Anthony Pecoraro

Edit the shape and change it's color.

41. Vettz13

Vettz13 New Member

I meant to add this before uploading the photo haha

I'm trying to recreate this. All adding a shape does is add a star or a square or a circle onto my loco. I fail to see how adding different colored circles would allow me to get close to the attached photo

Attached Files:

42. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Have a watch on you tube for the livery designer streams, Natalie (one of the CM’s) has run through some of the things you can do. You will need to use those shapes and stretch and colour them to fit.

43. vogelm10

You need to combine shapes in order to make what you want. So square stretched out colored cream for the bottom. Square squashed down thin colored cream for the top part.

If you want later tonight after work I can make this and upload some photos on what I did.

44. Vettz13

Vettz13 New Member

Ohhh so I do have to use the shapes to turn certain areas a different color. Okay I didn't think of that somehow

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm looking forward to bringing the old Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway to TSW2!

45. vogelm10

I'm going to make you a guide.

46. vogelm10

Also....save very often. It will crash and you will loose everything. I usually try and save every few minutes.

47. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The body paint is a piece of cake. Quarter-circle plus rectangle, and another rectangle squeezed and elongated into a line, projected through to the other side. The hardest part will be the road numbers, and the ampersand. The rest of the railroad name will be straightforward, easy albeit fiddly, but will cost a fortune in layers to serif every one of all those letters.

(Hint: do the quarter-circle from the side, not the front)

48. vogelm10

K it took 252 layers and about 2 to 2.5 hours to make. The most work was on the letters because there are only sans serif by default. The & sign was sort of hard too.

For ampersand use an O and 4 shape 76's which look like this (

Shape 41 is for adding serifs. You need a bunch of them flipped in different ways.

Shape 54 and 67 (x2) then skewed a bit for logo. You need 3 of those stacked on each other (see photo)

For hand rails you need to make a box that covers them. Next you have to use the projection tool and move the bottom bar almost all the way left and top almost all the way to the right. Make sure they are the last shapes you do, the order you have your shapes will affect what you see.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2