Price For Isle Of Wight Is Ridiculous

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nielsmallant100, Sep 30, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nielsmallant100

nielsmallant100 Well-Known Member

In my opinion 24.99 USD for a, what, 8.5 Miles is ridiculous! I appreciate the effort that Rivet puts into this, but you have to think of the potential customers as well. I don't see this DLC offering much playtime for me and others. 1 piece of rollingstock. Listen, if this had included the steam line with a steam loc this would've been worth it, but please man, not like this. Feel free to disagree, but please respect that I have this opinion and it might be different from yours.

• Like Like x 15
  2. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mikey_9835

Mikey_9835 Well-Known Member

Agreed. To think for the same price you can get WSR with 23 miles of track and two locos for the same price.

• Like Like x 6
  4. praxidike.meng

praxidike.meng Well-Known Member

I can understand this is a high price to pay, but in that case be patient and wait for a sale? Also wait for some reviews and video footage of the route and then decide if the price is unreasonable.

• Like Like x 3
  5. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

I do not even see it in the DLC store yet, as it been released ?

6. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

I agree the price is a rip-off. £15 would still be steep but more realistic. Would have been better value if they had added the steam line with a diesel.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Not yet.

8. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I don’t consider it a rip off.

But with everything, you have to be your own judge.

I’ll certainly be buying it on Day 1.

• Like Like x 3
  9. ralphy_porter2000

ralphy_porter2000 Active Member

"I agree the price is a rip-off. £15 would still be steep but more realistic. Would have been better value if they had added the steam line with a diesel."
    The 03 would have been perfect as well

10. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes i see

• Like Like x 1
  11. nielsmallant100

I personally think buying anything day 1 is a bit silly, we shouldn't blindly pre-order or buy something, wait to find out if it is quality, and then decide to buy. Because with your mentality we will have devs that just pump out content cause we will buy it anyway. I mean you do you, you're a free individual, I'm just saying we have to stay critical.

• Like Like x 3
  12. railway12

railway12 Well-Known Member

I'm usually a sceptical person, but at this point Dtg is doing the right thing in my opinion. It's simple, if you complain about the price then simply don't buy it. Sounds reasonable. Or just wait untill a discount. And btw it's NOT compulsory buying this so I don't see the problem ...

• Like Like x 6
  13. rat7_mobile

rat7_mobile Well-Known Member

If it is not in the DLC store, then how do you know the real price, for me until it is in the store, the price is not final are basically conjecture

14. nielsmallant100

I am not suggesting that, but I am allowed to voice my opinion about pricing right? I think they would make more if the price was 5 dollars less.
    It's on DTG's official twitter amongst others

15. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

It has been announced by Rivet and DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

I’m sure we’ve been here before?!

“TSW2 what a waste, too expensive, what £24.99, just for an update?!”

And right on cue, here we go again!

But you’re all going to buy it anyway, right?!;)

• Like Like x 5
  17. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

To be honest, very few people complained about the price of TSW 2. Those that did complain mostly complained about DTG original plan to mothball all the preserved content, something that has thankfully been averted.

You're comparing a base package of three routes for £21.25 (with discount) to one single very short route of £20.

DLC, unlike the base game, isn't something that everyone will purchase regardless of price. Everyone is entitled to what they feel is good value for money or not...

• Like Like x 1
  18. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

For 5€ more you get München to Augsburg and it’s worth it

19. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

Nobody was doing that in the first place but there are other opinions too. When making less money that's Dtgs problem not yours.

20. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

Good point Lucas when you compare it to TSW2 IOW looks ludicrously expensive. I never buy a route on day 1, unless the reviews are good and as Rivet have been working on this route it will be a quality product, I hope.

21. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

While I've no useful comment to make on this topic, your opinions on pricing are being noted.

• Like Like x 4
  22. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

DTG Protagonist, do 3rd party developers set their own pricing, or is the pricing structure determined by Dovetail (i.e., locos are a certain price, short heritage lines are a certain price, full length routes are a certain price)?

23. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Personally , £19.99 is fine for me. I'd just wish DTG would price their routes at £19.99 too instead of £24.99

• Like Like x 1
  24. nielsmallant100

I don't think that is a fair comparison, since DTG's routes so far include usually 2/3 rolling stock and are a good 5-8 times bigger than IoW.

25. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

Presumably Rivit will be taking their share, DTG will be taking their share and the hosts of the content will be taking theirs?

Maybe some of the experts on building and producing routes and stock commenting on here can give some details on how they would justify it costing £10 or £15.

For me as long as it is a well detailed route with well detailed stock, which I am sure it will be then £20 is well worth it and I will be purchasing it as soon as I can.

With respect, I don't think how others spend their own hard earned money is of any concern to anyone else.

• Like Like x 7
  26. nielsmallant100

wow it's almost like I literally said that in my last line. And actually, it is of our concern collectively, cause if everybody would start buying products regardless of checking their quality, what do you think would happen to the effort and thus quality put into DLC? Exactly, thats why its our collective concern. Consumers form the market, not producers

27. theorganist

Well there did seem to be a slight contradiction.

A lot of people are content with what is provided. If I like the look of something I will purchase it, I don't find it necessary for me to check here first to see if it okay?! Or, is some virtual union about to be formed where we will be asked to "down wallets?"

• Like Like x 2
  28. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I mean people still buy yearly copy/paste fifa and madden :D

• Like Like x 1
  29. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

Stick to being concerned about what you do with your money rather than what others do. To some £20 is a lot of money, to others it's not. Where you sit on that scale is what should matter to you, not what others would do
    As I've said on another post, I don't see £20 as too much IF the product is a good one, which I believe this will be (and not from some possibly doctored photos). I personally enjoyed the Island line in TSx and even without the kettles (which I don't drive anyway) I'm happy enough with the release price

• Like Like x 8
  30. flamingoodmedia

flamingoodmedia Member

When something's an utter rip off I'd be one of the first in the Q to moan, but this is a 3rd party dev's work, and as I think someone else said above there's a cut for this, a cut for that, I think Sam said on stream a small amount goes to DTG to conduct the QA for 3rd party projects. It'll always be the way & I think rightfully that 3rd parties need to make it worth their while to create content for the game, and with respect to IOW I actually commented on Rivet's post 'fair play' on the price of £19.99, and that it was appreciated.

If you dig into the finances of the companies involved you'll no doubt find they've invested heavily (maybe too much so) in the tech needed to develop the game, massive chunk of money went/ is due to Unreal I believe and costs need to be recouped, I don't doubt for a moment Steam, MS & Sony demand chunks of cash for bandwidth & whatever the terms are for distro.

With lockdown my earnings have taken a hammering, so each purchase I carefully weigh up against what it means to me to own this DLC, nostalgia, content and eagerness to have it day one ... I'd urge others just to think carefully, not stress over it, do you want it ? How badly ? Can you wait for the inevitable sale ?

I'm greatful for all the prevserved content I previously purchased appearing in game ...

And ... When you weigh up the cost of IOW for TSW2 against the cost of any one piece of traction for an IRL train set ............

• Like Like x 6
  31. theorganist

I agree trouble is some people don't stop and think. They look at route length for example, think no more, then start ranting "rip-off". If you then ask what they think it is worth and how they could justify charging so little then there is a deathly silence!

• Like Like x 6
  32. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

The length of the route does not tell the whole picture. You can have two routes that go 30 kms end-to-end but one differs greatly from the other. Say one contains a massive yard complex at one end while the other does not have any yards. One could be set out in the country while another is set in a dense urban environment. I will wait until this route arrives before passing judgement. I do believe that it should have come with at least two locos though.

33. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have no concerns.

34. TSWx

TSWx Active Member

What? You've got nothing to say? Normally you always add something or talk for ages on a topic. So I'm a bit confused ...

35. theorganist

Why would you expect a DTG employee to comment on the pricing of one of their products? He is hardly going to say it is expensive or otherwise? Presumably Rivit will have had a say in the price too.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  36. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

Lord help us if DTG are doing the QA for it!

They haven't really covered themselves in glory in that department recently!

37. Trooper117

Trooper117 Active Member

If enough people make it known that they think the price is too steep and not worth it, who knows... the price may get altered.

38. theorganist

What would you like £5 or maybe £7.50?

You will probably find that the price was decided long ago. There will be probably 3 parties taking a cut. A few people on here moaning is probably not going to change it, the only thing that might are if sales are very poor. And as there are lots more people out there playing the sim than complaining on here then I don't think it will make much difference.

• Like Like x 2
  39. longo239

SCS do their map DLC'S for £8.99 for 100's of miles so that would be a fair price point for 8 miles of single track with 1 train.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Just because one company charges X amount doesn’t mean another company has too. If you’re not happy with the price, don’t pay it. You are not being forced too.

• Like Like x 6
  41. theorganist

Then I suggest you get a job in DTG's project department and show them how they can make a route for £8.99. I am sure they will be grateful for your input.

I haven't played ETS for a few years but I don't think it has the same level of detail from what I can recall.

• Like Like x 2
  42. theorganist

Oh he won't he has made sure we all know that!

• Like Like x 4
  43. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know who SCS are but they don’t do DLC for TSW so not really relevant here. I’ll have a guess that they don’t do train simulator stuff at all, although as I say I don’t know them.

• Like Like x 2
  44. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

They do a fantastic trucking sim but that is entirely different from Train Sim World or Train Simulator. Saying that they sell DLC for £8.99 is entirely irrelevant to this discussion as it is a completely different product in a different niche. Why don't they compare it to X-Plane 11? Again, an entirely different product but they sell airport DLCs for $45 Canadian. Just an airport. Single aircraft can cost even more.

Some people are just never happy. I bet if Dovetail or any company gave everything away for a dollar or pound or Euro, they would still complain about the price. It costs money to create products. There is licensing, staff wages, taxes, utilities, equipment, etc. Nobody spends all that money to create products to give away or sell for no profit.

Furthermore, nobody is forced to buy anything that they do not find value in. Whining and complaining on a forum is not going to convince a company to give their products away free. LOL

Disclaimer: I love Euro Truck Simulator, American Truck Simulator, and X-Plane 11. I am also planning on getting MS Flight Simulator 2020 or whatever it's called.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 9
  45. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of folks here who are seriously overestimating the size of the train simming community and therefore the potential audience for sales. Train simming is a very niche area of gaming, meaning that even a successful route won't sell a ton, so to make any development profitable there simply needs to be a pricing floor.

Any comparison to SCS and Truck Sim are waaaaay off base because that game has a SIGNIFICANTLY larger player base and thus, sales of their DLC, so they can price lower due to the volume of sales. American Truck Simulator according to Steam Spy has peak daily concurrent users of 4,000-5,000 and is owned by an estimated 1,000,000 - 2,000,000 Steam users. Euro Truck Simulator 2 averages peak daily concurrent users of about 25,000 !!! and is owned by an estimated 5M - 10M Steam users. TSW2 on the other hand has daily peak concurrent users of....wait for it...500 people. And it's owned by an estimated 20,000 - 50,000. So Euro Truck Sim on any given day has as many people online playing the game as TSW2 has total sales. These two things are not in any way comparable in terms of scale. When SCS sells an 8.99 DLC, they're selling it to a player base of 5-10 MILLION players. TSW2 is selling it to a player base of 20,000 - 50,000 (on PC).

• Like Like x 6
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  46. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

That answers the question (for those who still don’t get it) why TSW2 doesn’t get routes that are hundreds of miles long for £8.99 and why an 8 (and a bit) mile route is £19.99 in this case. I had a feeling that this SCS company might be selling whatever they made to a much bigger number of people as soon as I read the post that brought them up.

• Like Like x 3
  47. jamesonmin

jamesonmin Well-Known Member

I'm paying around $10 for the route and I'm paying for the staff, the right to use the name, paying for the staffs lunch. I hope cane creek isint the same Bs

48. theorganist

Great post, those figures really do put things into perspective.

Unfortunately those who don't want to accept that will just ignore it and carry on ranting.

• Like Like x 1
  49. longo239

These figures don't take into account that ATS and ETS2 are only PC based. What about the hundreds of thousands of console users of TSW?

We're constantly reminded by them how they make up the largest majority of TSW purchasers.

• Like Like x 1
  50. longo239

Why is a different opinion to that of yours considered to be a rant?

Do we not have a right to also express an opinion?

You may recall that the "preserved collection" was effectively being written off by DTG until some people decided that was unacceptable and expressed a different opinion. They were accused of being toxic and ranting then too. It did however make DTG rethink and the release was delayed.

Those figures also don't take into account the large majority of console players.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.