British Rail Standard Class 8

Discussion in 'Loco Suggestions & Proposals' started by steammaster4449, Jul 23, 2020.

1. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I think it'd be nice to have a brand new BR Standard Class 8P 71000 Duke Of Gloucester made by a third party like BMG or SSS in the Pro Range. The IHH one is definitely on the lower end of product quality when compared to what we're getting nowadays. Duke Of Gloucester VSOE.jpg Duke Of Gloucester.jpg BR Standard Class 8P.jpg BR 71000.jpg

2. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am surprised they never released it though as presumably they have it in their library, it is getting old but his models were well turned out. There are many of his items that haven't been re-released and many of them would be very useful, the large LMS tanks and the 107 and 114 (118) DMU's.

3. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

IIRC JustTrains have thr Duke.

4. budtheweiser

budtheweiser Active Member

Great Idea for a british railways steam locomotive

5. theorganist

Just Trains bought the Duke from IHH or they are producing one? I notice Just Trains haven't produced or published an item of UK rolling stock for a long time.

6. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

My memory must be failing but I'm sure JT had the DoG in development or on sale. It's not on their site now. Oh well!

7. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Great loco suggestion, do like 71000, certainly a loco I want to see when its back in traffic, why do you like 71000, steammaster4449? what scenarios would you have with the locomotive?

• Like Like x 1
  8. theorganist

Hello Jamie, not sure if you are in a position to confirm or not, but there are several items from the IHH catalogue which I assume were acquired by DTG, including the class 8 but have never seen the light of day. Some useful LMS large passenger tanks were in the library if I recall, a class 22, also. There was also a class 107 dmu and a class 114 (I think it had been labelled as a class 118 in error).

They might not be considered up to date but you could always put them on the market place with no scenarios. There was an ex-IHH standard tender on the market place for a while?

Thanks and apologies for the thread interruption.

9. steammaster4449

Greetings Jamie, I'd have to say my overall affinity of steam locos is what attracts me to the 71000, with my fascination with poppet valves and liking of 3 cylinder designs being a more specific reason, along with a fascination with late steam era designs, like the 71000 and the ones that popped up here in America. With the onset of dieselization, the sections of the rail industry that were still loyal to steam were definitely getting creative with their designs. America with the steam turbines and other, more standard lokking, designs and Britain with the Standard Class 8. One could call them the last hurrahs of steam, and boy were they some fantastic hurrahs.

No need to apologize. Any thread activity is welcome.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  10. steammaster4449

Alright, so I happen to recall a BMG livestream on YouTube that got uploaded, and the guy streaming mentioned that he'd love to make the Duke for TS, so maybe. Also, JustTrains haven't made any new steam locos due to them not having the demand for it. I remember watching one of their Twitch streams and that was brought up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. theorganist

I am surprised they find no demand as SSS/Victorian Lad/Victory Works/BMG/DT seem to get along fine. I apologise if I have missed anyone out.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steammaster4449

I just now realized I never answered that second question of yours, my apologies for that. I'd say the best scenarios to have would be ones on the WCML routes on Steam, as well as perhaps one or two on the Riveria Line In The 50's. Could possibly do some railtour scenarios on the Settle to Carlisle route as well. Maybe some ECML runs too.

• Like Like x 1
  13. theorganist

You might get away with Western Lines of Scotland too, although I suspect it wouldn't have worked over there but it isn't totally improbable. The Woodhead is another possibility too as steam did work over there alongside the electrics at times.

• Like Like x 1