PlayStation Preserved And Beyond! What Comes After.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by matthewbguilford, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. matthewbguilford

matthewbguilford Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    I wanted to make this thread just to share a little insight to why we haven’t seen a lot of smaller bug fixes for TSW2. On the October 20th Munich-Augsburg gameplay preview stream Sam was asked if “Once the preserved collection is completed will we start to see a lot more of these aspirations they have on the roadmap?”. The short answer is that we will start seeing a lot of bug fixes and upgrades for content already out. He also had said it frees up the people who are working on the Preserved collection to move on the bigger things. I also have attached a genuine quote from our (pretty awesome) TSW2 community manager that has a little more insight on the subject I mostly wanted to share this information so that it may be helpful to someone who doesn’t know or thought about why we haven’t received some of the smaller bug fixes or updates to TSW2. I say to you all. There have been a lot of bumps on the way here, but I think everyone here knows that DTG have been putting an honest effort into making this a better place for the whole community. I really think we need to do our part and be critical but we need to do it in a more positive fashion and we need to try to think positively about what the next year of TSW2 has in store for us. No matter our opinions, we ALL enjoy TSW2 and ALL want to see TSW2 succeed.

Link to original thread—https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/dtg-communication-and-transparency.28797/#post-192246

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 4
  2. flickyhecky

flickyhecky Active Member

I've only been a part of this train sim world a few months...they are definitely heading in the right direction, adding things (PIS for one!), can't wait to see what the coming months bring.

• Like Like x 2
  3. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

On that same live stream (20th October) they were saying that they need to do some work on the core game just to be able to release more routes after what happened when they tested HMA on consoles and found it didn’t work. It’s worrying to be honest. It’s gone from us saying their stuff doesn’t work well to them having to come out and say that their latest route doesn’t work at all in the configuration it was meant to be released, just like Bakerloo with the full timetable. They told us with that route it was because the trains all got in each other’s way, but as we now have another route that can’t be released with its full timetable, it makes me wonder. We’ve seen how badly it stutters on the overground section, and how SKA stutters a lot. It’s not just the preserved collection that needs attention now, it’s clearly the whole thing.

I’ll save my positivity for when the bad news stops coming and I see something positive instead. I do want them to succeed by the way, but I’m on a purchasing holiday from now until it improves. I’ll stick with the content I’ve got and Rivet’s nice new route will keep me happy for a while. Then, when I see TSW2 getting to the point where it works better than TSW2020 on routes with more than two tiny trains passing, I’ll buy some more of DTG’s offerings. I can’t say fairer than that.

• Like Like x 5
  4. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

While that bit does sound concerning, I honestly think it was described in a weird way that could be a bit misleading. The problem is not that they can't release new routes. They can continue releasing routes just as always.
    But the thing is, we're starting to reach a point where us players now have a pretty sizeable collection of routes. All of those routes that we own now contribute their own locos and layers onto new routes. The more our collection grows, the more potential layers there are in future routes.

And that right there is what poses a problem. Theres only soo much things that can be stored in memory before issues arise. Its a hardware limitation with the consoles (and lower-end PCs too). This issue is only to get worse with each new release, so the key here would be to work out a way for layers to become much more efficient than they are now.

To be clear, its not that new routes are poorly made and run badly. Its the fact that we now have such a massive collection, and a good chunk of it are old and don't run as efficient as the locos that are coming out now. Those stutters on SKA– at least in my experience –are directly caused by a Dostos service passing by. The framerate takes a massive hit! If thats going on in SKA, surely this would become even worse on the Munich route that has 400+ services!
    None of the new TSW2 routes have layers that contribute to another new route. Not SPG. Not the Bakerloo line. Not SKA. Those are all independent from each other. All of the layers (currently) actually come from old preserved collection routes.
    So really, it is indeed the preserved collection thats in dire need of attention, even moreso now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  5. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I want to see TSW Succeed as well. The stuttering on the Overground portion of BKL and part of SKA is probably just because of the consoles. Theres a lot of things going on at once which lowers FPS and causes stuttering, it can be fixed with optimization, but it won’t if they continue to let routes fly out like this, they’ll always be behind.

With the IOW, I haven’t noticed any real stuttering or FPS Drops. That could be because it’s a smaller route that uses less assets, or Rivet figured out how to decrease the amount of memory things take up.

Hopefully DTG can figure it out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Turn on the carriage lights. It causes a 10 FPS drop for a number of people

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

Forgot about that. However, I only noticed the drops when looking outside of the cab.
    They do need to fix that though.

8. BigH

BigH Active Member

I am taking a similar approach. I don´t mind a little bug here and there, but design decisions like not putting a timetable in, missing trophys on one console, realizing memory constraints shortly before release of a new DLC, that is just too much.
    I have enough to do in TSW 2020 and the base TSW 2, that i can wait ´till i read on this forum that issues are mostly solved. I just don´t have the feeling that we are seeing a solution for the Layers problem quickly. I would have prefered, if München-Augsburg had an option to switch certain DLCs on or off, because i´m moving up to PS5 in 4 weeks and than memory shouldn´t be a problem, but i can´t use any.
    Of course a long term solution can only be saving memory for everybody, so we all can use the DLC we have and i hope DTG comes up with something clever.

• Like Like x 2
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I’ve just noticed that there are three versions of this thread, one in each platform’s subforum. Apart from being against the forum rules to post the same thing multiple times, it makes it near impossible to follow all the replies.

10. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Locking this as there are duplicate threads. Keeping this one open for further discussion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.