Headlights Do Not Light Up Enough Ground.

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by StratPlayer62, Jan 20, 2018.

1. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

American freight trains have VERY bight headlights, much brighter than a car on bright. In TSW I can maybe see 50ft. in front of me with the headlight on bright and the ditch lights on, this really needs some work.

• Like Like x 8
  2. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

Had this raised a few times now, we're looking into it :)

- Jay

3. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

Please also look into the distance from witch the lights of other trains are visible. The should be visible waaaaay before anything around them or themselves are visible in a clean night.

• Like Like x 5
  4. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Several discussions of relative headlight brightness between U.S. and U.K. trains that I've read in the past noted that this is modeled on reality. I wish I could be specific about which forums and threads, but who keeps records of such stuff?

5. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm not understanding your post but for US trains TSW is not modeled anything at all close to reality.

6. Leland M

Leland M New Member

This is true. The US locos have very bright headlights. They are designed primarily to illuminate hundreds if not thousands of feet down line for the train crews to see obstructions on the track. From what I understand this is not the case in Europe/England. The CSX locos in TSW do not have bright enough headlights, that's for sure. It's actually amazing that CSX signed off on this game. The dim lights give the impression that their equipment does not meet FRA standards and it could make them look bad/liable for accidents.

7. Scotty

Scotty New Member

Since DTG seems to be only interested in releasing new content and not fixing each borked DLC, is there a way we can tweak the headlights to make them brighter on our own like we do with TS20xx?

8. giogurto_grande

giogurto_grande Active Member

Hey guys,

I know it's an old thread but I would like to share my recent discovery about one problem that has been mentioned here which is the distance from which train's headlights are visible. From a certain distance you can only see the reflections of headlights on the ground but not the headlights themselves. This is particularly annoying with CSX HH and NEC NY as US locos have powerful headlights.

So.... it seems that it's TAA's fault. This antialiasing mode is also known for making trains and objects shimmer when stationary. It seems that headlights are somehow suppressed when the camera is positioned further away from the light source. With FXAA or AA disabled it's much better. See my screenshots for comparison.

With TAA you can only see the reflection on the ground.
    20180528195448_1.jpg

With FXAA the headlights are also clearly visible from the same distance.
    20180528195459_1.jpg

FXAA isn't the perfect antialiasing method but I'll rather stick to it as it's less invasive, as it turns out.

Edit:
    Also putting this in you engine.ini file helps to keep those headlights on:
    [/script/engine.renderersettings]
    r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=-2

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 28, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. But You just move the trouble little more longer out.
    This thing is very Annoying. And The headlight is to weak (it should be 4 times stronger)

10. jörgen Näslund

jörgen Näslund Well-Known Member

Many trains in real life have good headlight. A Swedish Rc engine

[​IMG]

11. LeadCatcher

LeadCatcher Well-Known Member

Different countries have different requirements for what illumination a locomotives headlight must produce. In the US the law is pretty explicit ( https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/49/229.125 ). Now how far one can see with such intensity all depends on the atmospherics.

Having headlights on UK locomotives only really began in the closing decades of the 1900's. Here is a discussion ( https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/why-is-it-only-recently-most-trains-had-headlights.105660 ).

So for the early diesels represented - marker lights are period appropriate. Here is a link to a 2004 visibility requirements for locomotives from that date forward in the UK.( https://www.rssb.co.uk/rgs/standards/GMRT2483 Iss 1.pdf ). Not sure if that has been superseded or revised but as can be gleaned from a quick search, markers lights are period appropriate while more illuminating lights are proper for other countries or other time periods in the UK.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. stevegad

stevegad Member

The SD40-2 is actually better if you WALK in front of the loco holding your flashlight. All the loco's suffer from seriously underpowered lights, but the SD40 is probably the worst. In fact I had my external cam on just to see if it was on at all, first time I ran it. Please sort this issue. I just bought 5 pieces of DLC this month, so no one can say I'm asking too much for my money. It's 2023 now guys. Come on. Also, being unable to get gold in some scenarios is also annoying. ps. We still love you, but we want a little love back.

• Like Like x 3
  13. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

The new lighting system (which shifts dynamic range hence the tunnel eye adaption effect) should enable them to do proper headlights that shine in the darkness and are invisible in daytime.