Diy Train Sim World 2 Controller

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by Andraz, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Andraz

Andraz New Member

Hello!

I would like to share with you my custom build DIY Train Sim World 2 Controller.
    It is based on Arduino and works to a computer as standard keyboard.
    Throttle and brake leavers do use potenciometers and some clever mathematical algoritems to translate the changes to button presses on the keyboard so that the game can accemt the inputs.
    As External Controller Suport is on the Road Map, I am prepearing a software update, so that throtlle and brakes will works as yosticks (on condition that the game will suport that after added suport for External Controllers).
    Right now there is some small delay if you change the leaver too fast, but that should be fixed with External Controller support.
    If you have any guestions regarding the controller feel fre to ask!

You can see short video of it working here:

FAQ:
    1 Is it for sale? Sorry, it is not.
    2 Can I get your Arduino code? Sorry, no.

• Like Like x 3
  2. krijba

krijba New Member

Very nice! I'm currently building one myself (https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/building-my-own-cab-controls.31436/) and I am obviously taking inspiration from everywhere I can. I particularly liked the touchpad-thing to move the camera around, did I see that correctly?

As I am also looking for a temporary solution for the levers until the controller support is here: I am thinking about storing the current state of the potentiometer, then when change is detected, just calculate how long the button has to be pressed until the game state reflects the lever state. Do you do that differently, or is that already part of your super secret code embargo? Also, don't you have sometimes a desynchronisation problem and how do you get around that?

3. DTG Jamie

DTG Jamie Staff Member

Wow, that's great Andraz, Well done. How long did it take you to make it?

4. geloxo

geloxo Well-Known Member

Those levers are looking so good. Nice to see more homemade controller projects. Keep the good work guys :)

Cheers

5. Andraz

Andraz New Member

Thanks! I had look at your project and it looks interesting, well done.
    Yes, that is the basic idea. Check the change of potentiometer and press correct key for correct time. But it is not as simple as it seam, as some trains require long press to move from 0 (locked) position or to change into last position (emengercy brake for example).

Touchpad like thing is mouse from old laptop and 3D printed buttons on the bottom.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andraz

Andraz New Member

Thanks! I think about 1 - 2 months working a bit on it everyday after school.
    You can check written documentation about build process here (sorry, it is in Slovenian language): https://www.knjiznica-celje.si/raziskovalne/4201903912.pdf

I would be interested in beta testing this with new External Hardware support option if it possible? Please send me a PM.

7. Andraz

Andraz New Member

Thanks!
    I had 3D modeled them by inspiration from German train cabs and 3D printed them.

8. Philbo

Philbo New Member

I'd hardly class this post as sharing your build, more like showing it off with your "clever but secret algorithms.
    As you know Andraz, most people can drill a hole and put a switch in it, even connect wires from here to there. The real test and what stops many here from doing what you did is the software/scripting/sketches for the Arduino. Many train sim fans are baby boomers and are either too old or don't have the time to learn a computer language.
    Nice PDF but with much of the hardware made using .STL files and a 3D printer, something most here don't own I would guess, again this is just more teasing.
    Fortunately there are others who are willing to truly share their creation including the important software side. This bloke leaves nothing to be desired:

When mine is finished, all parts including software will be available to any interested parties here.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2023