Long Island Railroad Network

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by rare_common_sense, Feb 1, 2018.

?
  1. All of them

66 vote(s)
    67.3%
  2. Babylon/Montauk branch

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  3. Ronkonkoma

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  4. Port Jefferson

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  5. Oyster Bay

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  6. Port Washington

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Lawjester

Lawjester Well-Known Member

I’m so down to get it in TS at this point, I just wanna see them both represented in a train simulator like TS or TSW. My only problem with TS is the audio and physics, I rely on The Audio Shack for the sounds on my trains and since we pay a premium for these DLC’s, we should be getting the quality sounds and physics we deserve.

Jay did say in the Hudson line thread that they’re very interested in doing it, which is great but knowing DTG they tend to say that a lot so we can’t rely on that so much. He said that to me a couple months ago on an LIRR thread I made on the Steam forums saying they’d love to do it and it’s a possibility. Now they can be making it now for all we know, we haven’t gotten much current time US routes recently in TS besides Peninsula Corridor which was an extension so who knows. The NJT stuff is totally not cool, lots of requests for NJT, they got it, tons of requests for MTA, nothing. It’s unfair that this is the case but DTG has listed NJT as a top licensing company to work with so that could be an important factor behind the release of multiple NJT stuff.

We better get all the current time train fleet for both the LIRR and MNRR when they’re released (thinking positively:)) and not a cheap cutoff like they did with the M2’s. If they don’t bring in those M3’s then I’ll be quite upset with the lack of disregard they are showing towards us. One request to DTG, make the damn LIRR already!!!!

• Like Like x 2
  2. Lawjester

26E18EC4-9A74-4430-B469-AA9C28D43FD3.jpeg
    This is DTG’s list of some of their best companies to work with, as you can see NJT is on the top. Now I’m not saying that MTA ended a license with DTG, I’m saying it’s probably not on their because DTG didn’t decide to further expand the MTA network for more MNRR and to finally give us the LIRR. Many of these companies are listed because,
    A:Content from them was recently released (1-2 years or so ago)
    B: Multiple routes and trains were released
    We have yet to see more content from the MTA released, and I sorta have the feeling we will se some stuff soon, knowing that DTG is aware for our thirst for the LIRR and MNRR.

• Like Like x 4
  3. rare_common_sense

rare_common_sense Well-Known Member

At this point I’m used to them not giving authentic sounds. Even though that’s just more so due to some negligence on their part. Because I know they have people who are supplying them with appropriate sounds. Just that for whatever reason they just elect to not use them. So it’s nothing to do with TS20XX itself. Because I believe TS as a product is seriously being held back, mostly because it’s still a product that is being monetized. Where as MSTS was abandoned and mostly had become vaporware. But it thrived for years due to the community and their ability to make the game so much better than the vanilla release. I’m guessing whenever TS starts to take a backseat to TSW, then maybe it will reach the greatness that was MSTS was lol. I dunno.

But I will say that is an interesting photo. Need to find out what source you got it from and maybe I may be able to do a little further digging.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Lawjester

Jay himself posted it on a thread on the TSW forums, here it is, https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/dtg-friendly-railway-companies.3619/#post-22744
    We’ll just have to wait and see what our end result will be! Really hoping it’s in our favor!!

• Like Like x 1
  5. rare_common_sense

Also, in addition to the sound quality. Although it's annoying that DTG doesn't get them right most of the time, even with the assistance of those capable and willing to supply them. It is fortunate that we have those who are talented and knowledgeable enough to share them as free/payware. Of course, as you and I both know, Lawjester, The Audio Shack (mostly payware, but worth it) has provided some great content and has done a fairly swell job with the M8's (which makes them more fun to drive) and other American based locos.

• Like Like x 1
  6. rare_common_sense

Screenshot_New York to New Haven_40.74701--73.90406_09-00-54.jpg Screenshot_New York to New Haven_40.74695--73.90409_16-59-49.jpg
    Just a little sum'm to get our hopes up, and that we may see something more official of this in Train Simulator. M8's in "Metro North M7A of course which is a bit lost, Long Island Railroad M7 & M9 schemes" @ LIRR's Woodside Station (what little of it that is modeled in the New York-New Haven route).

• Like Like x 3
  7. rare_common_sense

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    These are all NOT my photos in this comment. But here you see some "LIRR" action of sorts in each photo. The images of ongoing reconstruction in the Penn Station area, are just simply amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  8. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

These are is just awesome. Got me pumped for the NEC New York DLC even more but, we all know it'll be MUCH less active (with a measly ACS-64 and Amfleet I coach cars, along with the recycled GP38-2 Q.Q...) and most likely won't represent the reconstruction irl, upon release. Rip the dream. Gonna take a good while until we can see screenies like this on TSW, after the appropriate tools drop, so the community can adjust it (hopefully) for more realism and depth. We'll see what they decide to exhibit during the video next week.

• Like Like x 3
  9. rare_common_sense

Yep. Just a pretty ghost town.:D

• Like Like x 1
  10. USRailFan007

Lmaoo, sadly.

11. JackRyan

JackRyan Member

Yes, but bear in mind that TS20XX has been out since at least 10 years and now it reached this level. TSW is barely 1 year old, so it has still a long way to go. I'm quite sure that in a few years we'll see screenshots like the one above but in unreal engine 4.

• Like Like x 1
  12. rare_common_sense

This, we are very aware of.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Lawjester

Those pictures are quite the dream, and hopefully the near future for TS. If they release the route with that type of detail I’ll go nuts! All we can do is hope for a good future knowing that it will happen someday, hopefully soon.

14. rare_common_sense

Well, this is for a scenario that never got released unfortunately. And there were to be repainted of the NJT Multilevels and P32 to represent the C3 BiLevels and DM30AC. Which looked cool. But for some reason, those never got released.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Lawjester

Hopefully their won’t be a need to release a fake LIRR scenario when hopefully we can get the real LIRR, hopefully.

16. rare_common_sense

Yeah, hopefully. But for now. It would at least do some wonders for AI in scenarios.
    7BD00105-F9FD-41E1-9C25-1813E6BFE019.jpeg 3FA859BB-0353-42AA-B70F-7DFF20E2FD0D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Lawjester

That looks pretty awesome tbh. I can’t wait to see the real trains though!

18. John Murphy

John Murphy Well-Known Member

Well you're in the right place. You'd stand a better chance of them making a full line in TS rather than TSW. In TSW, you'd be lucky if it went as far as Jamaica. I don't think they would do any of the longer routes. We'd probably wind up with something shorter, like the Babylon Branch, Long Beach, Far Rockaway, or one of the Hempstead branches. Still, I would love to see the LIRR in TS. They also need to make the Metro North Hudson Line with the Amtrak line to Penn Station. I just hope that with either route, they do it as a separate route instead of tacking it on as an extension to the NYC-New Haven route. I'm not trying to nuke my computer here. 1 route at a time please.

• Like Like x 3
  19. rare_common_sense

Either way, as long as they can be merged somehow. Both of those routes are at the very top of my wishlist right now.

• Like Like x 2
  20. USRailFan007

The Empire connection line along side the Hudson line going up to Croton Harmon, to begin the route, would be awesome. Whether its for TSW or TS 20xx, either would work. We all want to see these routes come to TSW because of how great the graphics are but, it'd probably be better to fill in the void (as rare_common puts it xD) which need filling in NYNH route. Besides if they did LIRR for TS 20xx, we'd probably be able to get more routes out for the game at a faster pace, than the current queue we got going for TSW; since its still fairly early in its development.

One day my friends... One day.

• Like Like x 2
  21. rare_common_sense

Something tells me, the Hudson/Empire is coming to TS pretty soon. Which I'd be pretty excited for because I've long been hoping they would do it. And I would love to see more EMU variety along that Park Ave viaduct. I still wish for them to do some M2/4/6's for the NYNH, and for the Hudson the M1/3a's and of course the M7a.

• Like Like x 3
  22. USRailFan007

When Jay said "We're very fond of this route", my hype meter exploded. I won't hold my breath no more though. Lesson learned, haha. However, I (along with you guys, most definitely) will remain hopeful and look forward to the day the MN Hudson Line and any branches of the LIRR, come to these simulators. Without a doubt, we'll be seeing it eventually. Just let that "eventually", be sooner, rather than later Q.Q. These routes are a MUST, DTG (That's right. I'm looking at you Jay --- when and while, you end up reading this post, that is). Make'm happen please, for either TSW or TS!

• Like Like x 2
  23. John Murphy

If they do the Hudson Line on TS, there's a possibility they might do the whole NYC-Poughkeepsie line in 1 route. In TSW, you'd be lucky if it gets past Yonkers, let alone as far as Croton Harmon or Poughkeepsie. Also, they'll probably just have 1 service if they do it in TSW. Amtrak if it starts at Penn Station and Metro North if it starts at Grand Central. Yeah, picture 1 or 2 M7 sets per hour in service mode with no other trains. That's probably what you would get.

• Like Like x 1
  24. USRailFan007

In advance, sorry LawJester for the forum topic hijacking xD. Though, the LIRR has not been forgotten, my friend!

I'd be devastated if that were to happen, lmao. Many of us would. It can't get any worse than the desolate as heck, RT DLC though. Desparately needs some life (other trains) added to it. Love running the route still but its barren beyond belief. Oh and picturing GCT - Yankees for TSW... what a joke xD. That would be the biggest scam of a route, DTG would have ever pulled. I'd hope for both M-7As and the P32ac-dm but would anticipate one train as well, for TSW. I'd personally, if it wasn't blatantly obvious already, prefer for them to first give us MTA livery P32ac-dms first, with their shoreliner cars (simply because just hearing the sounds that beastly 7FDL-12 engine makes, while notching up... is just too beautiful). It's a 50/50 shot. M-7As are more likely since they'd utilize the 3rd rail all along the line, terminating @ Croton, where as the P32s go Diesel just outside of GCT tunnel exit, heading north, or past Harlem 125th station, past Croton, up to Poughkeepsie. It's a small detail differentiation but its the very likely choice imo, on DTG's behalf. As long as the P32s don't take a lifetime to release after the route, then i'd be fine with this decision. Would be awesome to get the entire route for TS 20xx going all the way to poughkeepsie, forsure.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  25. Lawjester

Lol no problem, these are two of my favorite topics, I was just catching up on some much needed rest ;).

• Like Like x 1
  26. Lawjester

Some people may not realize but the M7 and M7A’s are slightly different. Besides for the blue for MN and the yellow for the LIRR, the M7A’s have vents on tops of the train and different seats then the M7. I hope DTG knows that because that could be a detail that will really throw me off. Also the LIRR and MNRR uses different 3rd rail systems, if you could tell, the LIRR uses the white 3rd rail which is over-running while the Metro North uses under-running 3rd rail. Unfortunately as some of the flaws DTG made with making the little LIRR details for the NYNH in Penn they made it under-running. They also NEED to fix that whole area form Woodsode to Long Island City and Penn because I found tons of bad details. I’ll leave a link to a few videos for you to compare.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Lawjester

DTG should really use these RFW vids to help with the route making, MrMaster767 made the, for ALL of the LIRR branches so it could really be useful for DTG. Please take the time to watch all 3 vids and you should skip the East River tunnels because theirs not much to it. Also an extra note, the video of the M3 from Penn-Woodside was heading to Port Washington and the PW Branch has its own tracks at Woodside so it branched off the main line for that.

• Like Like x 2
  28. rare_common_sense

I knew of the differences between the M7a's and M7's. Of course though, because the differences are still small, I'm still going to wanna see them in LIRR livery as well if they decide to go with the MNRR first, which I'm going to guess will more than likely just be made to Croton-Harmon. Which will be okay, but still wishing for more. Only because DTG likes to give us partial routes now, and give us the rest in the form of paid DLC expansions.

The P32's will more than likely be supplied in both Amtrak and MNRR liveries. You know they're not going to pass up Amtrak for the route. Which would be the obvious thing to do. Then they would undoubtedly utilize Penn station. I do also hope they use the older shoreliner coaches. Had quite enough of the same that we've been given with both the P32 and FL9 offering.

• Like Like x 2
  29. Lawjester

If it’s for TSW probably to Croton but in TS no doubt to Poughkeepsie. I do believe though they’ll give the LIRR it’s time to shine before they do the Hudson Line, that’s just because they haven’t done it yet. I’m hoping for Montauk Branch or Port Jefferson Branch because they provide the best variety and breathtaking detail. I know some might not want the Ronkonkoma Branch, I personally would like it but it would create difficulties with the whole double track project and Mid-Suffolk yard. DTG needs to do them both and do them soon, otherwise these threads will explode from comments.

30. John Murphy

Also getting back on the topic of the LIRR, they can't forget about the more retro aspects of the system. I'd love to see the M3s represented alongside the M7s if they made an LIRR route.

• Like Like x 3
  31. Lawjester

No question, if DTG leaves the M3’s out like they did with the M2s on NYNH I’ll be very disappointed. Also if they use the RFW vids like the ones above they better do it. I think also the sound aspects would be quite easy because if you look on YouTube for LIRR audio like horns and propulsion it’s quite easy and most LIRR horns are found on most of the trains unlike Metro North. The M3’s and M7’s use RS2M but they sound a bit different just due to the M3’s older RS2M’s. The Metro North has the RS2M’s but for some reason on lots of M7’s you’ll hear horns way off but most have the regular RS2M’s. LIRR C3’s use the Nathan K13A and you’ll mostly find a K5LL or K5LA on the DM/DE30AC.

32. Lawjester

I also never understood why DTG did the FL9 and not the M2s. The FL9s don’t even run anymore but you’ll see M2s many times on the NYNH. Maybe DTG was having problems modeling it or having trouble with the throttle because of the deadman switch, which is a possibility but if that’s the case they should’ve at least said to us that’s why they were unable to make it. Communication is one of the very many things DTG sucks at doing and I never could see why they can’t tell us what they’re up to and what content they’re working on, it’s ridiculous.

• Like Like x 1
  33. rare_common_sense

I don’t totally get the whole point of secrecy either. I mean just knowing what is to come does help to create discussion over what we hope to see in whatever they’re planning.

For instance, like this route proposal, if they were to say that they’d love to do it, but can’t at the moment, like say for licensing issues. It then helps to not have to waste energy and time hoping for something that more than likely will never come. And instead, focus on other options that they may be able to do. But I do hope to the heavens that this is something they are going to tackle. Soon rather than never.

As far the retro equipment. Which I also hope they will think seriously about doing should either the next Metro North or LIRR Route is to be done. I sure hope they do not forego the opportunity to do those because not only does it provide variety in scenarios, but also the AI within them. And also because they would be just awesome to have.

As far as this route proposal. Would really be first Network for the US. Just imagining all the action and scenario possibilities that could spawn from this.

High Iron Simulations would really make a killing with their scenario packs.

• Like Like x 3
  34. USRailFan007

Yeah, the secrecy behind future projects, besides the potential impact licensing issues would have on people whom really want something made by said company, is still very much pointless, imo. People have complained and will continue to complain about the next upcoming release because its not from [Insert country of choice here] or is not something they're looking forward to. That's inevitable in any case. People will always vote, first and foremost, with their wallets. Also like you said rare_common, I feel its better to have DTG announce upcoming projects, in order to lessen the impact it would have on people's expectations. It won't turn off players from the game outright so long as its being worked upon (which we clearly know since the game is still in its "infancy", persay). Players will always come and go based on the content provided and whether or not it suits their tastes. Just waiting until the last second to announce content that will have this effect, adds a bit of that salt to an expanding pile, people could do without. Take for example a lot of the UK player based comments, when NEC NEW YORK was announced, on twitter or FB. That Facebook page, in specific, clearly states all the disdain people threw at the route whom claim, will not purchase it; simply because its not UK-based content. Again, something that is completely, inevitable. I'm sure the same would be the case, had the situation been flipped, with UK content and those in the US whom wouldn't consider it for the exact same reasoning. They can't please everybody, so there is very little point to the secrecy, besides what I originally mentioned above.

• Like Like x 3
  35. rare_common_sense

Exactly!!!!

• Like Like x 1
  36. USRailFan007

DTG can't afford to pass up on either of these route tbh. They're more than highly requested throughout many forums, not just here. Something I've stated before on the forum post about the MNRR Hudson Line route proposal. Having some dated equipment would definitely add variety to the routes. Needless to say, some neat stuff to look at and some more realism with the way scenarios are handled for said routes.

• Like Like x 2
  37. Lawjester

Well if DTG had any common sense of how to make profit, they would’ve probably made the LIRR or MNRR already. Unfortunately we have yet to see the light of day in terms of that but i see a bright future because I know DTG is aware of our thirst for the LIRR and they want money so it’s a plus plus. Let’s just hope we get it sooner then later though because I’m getting burnt out a bit having to request it so many times.

• Like Like x 2
  38. USRailFan007

"aware of our thirst for the LIRR". Haha xD. That's one way to put it, absolutely. You did, however, forgot the thirst for the MNRR Hudson line yet again, too Q.Q. Requesting on these forums, here, should be the last step in getting a route forwarded to DTG. They're more than aware of both routes as options; since, these are the new, official forums, as of late. Its definitely that communications are lack luster, besides Jay's outstanding performance around these parts, as well as steam. Though vague as heck, for obvious reasons, he still manages to get around fairly well. We'll have to wait and see, as usual.

• Like Like x 1
  39. rare_common_sense

I honestly wish the route building tools in TS didn’t have such a huge learning curve. Because I sure as heck would have been working extensively making this route myself.

• Like Like x 2
  40. Lawjester

As we all know, the demand for MTA content in general is quite high but since this is an LIRR thread it’s prudent that we still keep to the title of this thread, that’s why I did not say thirst for MNRR Hudson line as well. Of course we should definitely veer off the topic like to talk about MNRR (which is good) we should definitely remember what this thread was created for. I truly hope more MTA content is made and I hope soon because of the opportunity’s present with such content.

41. Lawjester

The only problem with that is how would we get the trains? I can tell you that if the LIRR is made by a third party developer, they better know how to make those M7’s and M3’s because if they don’t they shouldn’t make it in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
  42. USRailFan007

Only pulling your leg, LawJester. Don't worry, lool. I know very well we're trying to stay on topic here.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Mattg17

Mattg17 Member

Yeah, that's the sad thing about it, but it's their way of running the business. All we can do is just wait and see...

Oh. and while i'm at it, I wonder if it's too much to ask for the K5LLA that a handful of the EMD's have (The three that come to my mind are 423, 511, and 521...)

• Like Like x 1
  44. Lawjester

Lol, I prefer if we go off topic to talk about MNRR, maybe we should turn this thread into MTA in general to allow leeway for off-topic discussion, but not off-topic. Their could be an LIRR section and an MNRR section particularly Hudson line, maybe call it LIRR network/Metro North Hudson and Harlem lines? I don’t know maybe Rare Common could make it happen.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  45. USRailFan007

I will say though, I can only image how much of a pain in the arse it is, for an average Joe player to go in and attempt to make a train from scratch. Its difficult enough, getting liveries made for any train.

46. USRailFan007

Your topic thread (well rare_common's but you're key to the convo), so your guys' call.

• Like Like x 1
  47. Lawjester

48. USRailFan007

Yeah, I managed to not edit that immediately, after realizing that fact, just 2 mins before you posted. I've seen your TSW LIRR post before and voted in favor of, btw. Just never spoke on it.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Lawjester

Well there’s always room for more participation ;).

• Like Like x 1
  50. Lawjester

I also wonder if DTG is avoiding the LIRR because of its signaling system. Most of the signals are different because the system is older, they’re not the usual signals, they’re just yellow signals. Forgot what the name of it is but it’s not the whole LIRR that has it, just most of it. That is not a reason to not do it though, because I’m sure it is easy to learn the system and there’s also ATC to help with when to slow down before a signal.