Installing Ts2014 On Windows 10 With Backup Game Files

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by pasictarik10, Aug 26, 2019.

1. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Hey guys,

so I'm thinking of buying a new computer just for video games. I bought Train Simulator 2014 in the summer of 2013 and at the time the computer I had was under a Windows 8 system. Will TS2014 work on Windows 10 and will the newer routes work on the same system? How can I assure that the routes I personally edited to add buildings, cars, stations etc. will not be lost forever after a reinstallation on a new computer with a new system?

2. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

I started with TS2016 (in 2015) on a laptop running Windows 8. It was elegible for update to Windows 10 which went smoothly and TS ran on it just as well as it had before... which was quite poorly since the thing doesn't have a GPU but that's not the fault of TS or WIndows 10. The biggest change in TS recently has been the 64bit update introduced last year and it remains compatible with older routes so you shouldn't have a problem. I got a new system a few months ago and just installed the Steam application on it then ran it and logged in. Steam downloaded and installed TS, all the routes I'd bought and the Workshop routes and scenarios I'd subscribed to almost without intervention- a few of the scenarios were mangled. Now...

The above assumes you bought TS and all your add-ons through Steam. If you have third party add-ons you'll have to install them yourself. If you didn't buy through Steam- I don't know where you'd start.
    If you mean routes you bought but made changes to I imagine the best option is to go into the edit tab and clone the route (which isn't a bad idea if you're going to edit routes anyway in case you do something to break it). Like every other route the new copy should have its own folder which will be easy enough to identify in Railworks and you can shift it using a flash drive or something. Actually I suppose you could do that with all your content folders and spare yourself the download.

3. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I bought a CD of the route in France back in 2013 and then installed it on my computer through Steam because that was the option offered. Technically, the route although not bought through Steam was installed through Steam meaning I probably would not have to use a CD again to install it. Now, I moved and stopped playing the game before the 64 bit update meaning I have never yet played the game Under it and my former computer was with Windows 8. As for edited routes, I never cloned them, I just edited them directly and overwrite the folder Content by doing so. I edited both Steam (DTG) routes and third-party routes. I have a mix of both. I have about 600 GB of content of Train Simulator on my external disk right now.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

When you get this game you also register on Steam which keeps a complete list of everything you have purchased.
    On a new computer you just install the Steam Client then go in to the settings and download a vanilla copy of what you own.

Peter

5. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I'm not sure what a vanilla copy is, sorry. I just want to make sure not to lose all the editing I did as well as find myself in a situation where all the newer routes and locomotives won't work because it's TS2014 and not TS2018.

6. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

A vanilla copy is the routes, locos and stock without any mods, reskins, sound packs etc - you get it in the condition you bought it.

It might be a silly question - why have you not updated to TS2019?

Peter

7. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

I don't really know how to update to TS2019 and don't feel like buying a newer version when I already have a functioning (hopefully functioning) one.

8. TrainSim-Daniel

TrainSim-Daniel Active Member

Steam updates all versions of TS to the current one so you already have TS2019 installed.

9. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

As Daniel said it updates to TS2019 when you go on the Internet - there is no new content provided so your files stay the same but it means everyone is playing the same version of the Base Game which makes problem solving easier

Peter

10. pasictarik10

pasictarik10 Member

Hopefully it will be like that, the last thing I want is to have problems running the game on a new computer. ^^

11. monstersofthegridiron

monstersofthegridiron New Member

I found this thread while looking to see if there's still a way to purchase a copy of TS14 & if it even runs on Win10. Forgive me if I'm misunderstanding this but is all TS dlc regardless of title available to play in the most recent TS each year?

Ultimately what I'm looking for is a way to play Amtrak models on any Sand Patch Grade, which someone shared a Youtube video of this in another discord I follow.

If modding or creating your own custom routes is still available in any TS I'm very much interested in trying to recreate an old CSX/B&O Route that ran thru West Virginia that I used to ride alot growing up.

Thanks for any input!

12. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

The "base game" of train simulator will run any DLC made for train simulator.
    The addition of a year at the end of the game name is mainly cosmetic (though there have been improvements over time)
    So the very basic answer is "yes any DLC will run on TS2021 no matter when that DLC was made"

What you do need to look out for is what the BUNDLE of that year was, so TS2012 would have come bundled with several DLC and in addition to the game itself you get licenses to that, so if 2012 has what you want, great. It doesn't then stop you getting the TS2018 bundle and the TS2021 bundle and getting the DLC licenses that come with those. Don't worry, you won't end up with three copies of the game on one machine

13. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

Not sure why you want TS 2014 but you might be able to get it thru some gaming site.

There is no Sand Patch Grade in Train Simulator 2021 or earlier, it is only in Train Sim World.

Virtually all routes and locos released over the years are still available except some restrictions apply due to licencing
    BNSF trains & routes con only be purchased in the USofA

Peter

14. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Yes. Odd exceptions apply when the route has an error.
    In most of such cases, running it in the 32 bit version works just fine.

Unless I'm missing something, it's a Train Sim World route. Different game.
    Some routes can act as a substitute. Donner Pass has a similar setting, but slow. The extended Soldier Summit (TS 2019?) might be fine as well. If you don't have P42DC, you can either shoot for Marias Pass or a completely different Miami - West Palm Beach.

Routes included or price.

15. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Okay, quick explanation of how TS works because I'm bored but not bored enough to go to bed.

Each yearly version of Train Simulator (anything from RailWorks to TS2021) is the same game. Train Simulator - the programme - is merely an engine. If you only install the base software, you can do nothing, because all content that has ever been made for Train Simulator is classed as DLC, of which some is bundled with the base software. This is what allows DTG to change the content of the game every year with easy engine updates to players that already own the game. It's also how you can rebuy Train Simulator (as I have multiple times) and it just functions as a DLC bundle.

Updating Train Simulator is not a hassle (it's a Steam game, after all) and has no negative effects on the game for those who are worried. I can buy a copy of Train Simulator 2014 and redeem it on Steam and it'll update to TS2021, with all of my content still there. If you bought TS2019, you can buy TS2015 and redeem it, and the routes and trains included will be added to the game. The 'game' included is always Train Simulator, and all of the routes are DLC for Train Simulator, so when you redeem an older or later version of the game, you'll just get the DLC - you won't be able to claim a second copy of Train Simulator (the engine).

• Like Like x 1