How Will Multiplayer Work?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Ian1991, Mar 6, 2018.

1. Ian1991

Ian1991 Well-Known Member

Hi guys, I know that multiplayer is in development along with alot of other things but can anyone shed light on how it will work?

Is it a case of youll be generated into the chosen map and can only drive services that are available or can you drive any service whilst other trains are taken by others live? I dont see how it would work properly?

• Like Like x 2
  2. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

We don't know.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Daniel Bloch

Daniel Bloch Well-Known Member

We will see in some years, I don't think multiplayer is coming "soon". Maybe never. DTG said I will come "eventually". Does not sound like they are working on it right now.

"Multiplayer has never had a date attached to it, the plan is to bring it to the game eventually but development of a multiplayer system is a long and complicated process, please bear with us.
    - Jay"

• Like Like x 4
  4. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

Personally, I’d be happy to see a service mode equivalent in a multiplayer setting, nothing over the top in terms of player count 2- 4 players to begin with. Let it be free form just like service mode, players can choose to drive a service ride one or all drive their own services etc..

As a base to build from that would be my goal , we can dream one day lets hope :D

• Like Like x 2
  5. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

What would be your ideal way multiplayer could work?

- Jay

• Like Like x 2
  6. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

On American freight you always have an Engineer and Conductor. The Engineer drives the train, the Conductor handles all coupling and uncoupling of cars, throwing switches etc, this is done by radio communication when they are not in the cab together, the engineer almost never leaves his seat. Currently the fact that you being the engineer must leave the trail to throw switches or uncouple cars makes it quite unrealistic. It would be quite fun to have an actual conductor on the train.

7. keksman

keksman Well-Known Member

Expecting the same.

Would be the same Bullshit they did with the PIS. Talking around how all assets have been placed and everything is almost ready to go for it (in August 2017 btw. They also reworked their Homepage and deleted every Answer they gave in the comments) and 3 month later its suddenly something they EVENTUALLY are going to add to the game. Those guys are actually just abusing the shi t out of them having the only Train Simulator in the market without any alternatives/competitor. Im starting to regret liking anything regarding Trains.

8. TrainSim-Jay

TrainSim-Jay Guest

We didn't delete anything, we moved to an entirely new platform and comments didn't carry over.

Also, regarding PIS, the assets were completed and it was pretty much ready to go but we ran into a number of issues with it displaying correctly that were on account of engine side issues and as such were unable to implement it.

We still hope to get it into the game eventually though.

- Jay

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Ian1991

Myself i dont know what your limits are, but i would think if i went into multiplayer mode and it would show me which services are available to take over....
    (Services unavailable are already being played by someone in real-time)

Then you choose which service you drive and all the other trains at that time are driven by live players/or ai for the services not taken live at that time.

Does this make sense? However depending on popularity you maybe would need several networks of the same map running, if everyone is online trying to drive, OR you could book a service to drive and wait for the train to arrive and take over once the previous player has completed the service with that train.

Thats how I see it jay what do you think?
    Just laugh if its too much lol

• Like Like x 2
  10. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

That's the way I'd imagine it working as well to be honest.

11. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

I honestly probably wouldn't play multiplayer that much outside of a private/controlled server. For anyone who has ever played ETS or ATS multiplayer .. it can be an absolute nightmare at times. There are always going to be those people that grief the server and would intentionally speed, ignore signals, derail their own and other people's trains, etc. How would the server handle a derailment or a collision with another train? Would that even be possible? How would the server handle someone ignoring a red signal?

Speaking of servers, would they include both public and private servers or would we be limited to solely one or the other? I personally feel a multiplayer aspect of this would work best in a password protected server. As for the timetables, would there be server side tools to allow for custom timetables to maybe accommodate more or less train traffic? If you were able to add more trains to the schedule, would someone be able to go in and customize things such as what locomotives would be pulling which rolling stock? If so, we could finally have much longer trains for routes like Sand Patch.

There are a lot of questions to be asked here and it's no easy task to go implement something like this.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Ian1991

I get the issue with servers but myself i think there should/would be barrier rules.....for example when entering this mode you agree to adhere to rules.....if you run a red light your booted out the map, if you derail....your booted out, if your more than 10minutes late for no reason (not the games fault).....your booted out and if you are booted out lets say more than 3times in 24hours then ur banned for 24hours, thats how id see it anyway.

I would see as you use your steam account to use the server or a dovetail account so it is private, and again have up to say 5/6 systems running the same map and agree to terms ans conditions so that is people want to to abuse it or be stupid and cause major disruptions they get banned from using the server, only fair.

And i dont see the need for adjustments to timetable or extra services just keep the same 24hr system thats in place now, if people abuse the system and try to cause incidents on purpose or be stupidly late the game can trigger a warning message from 'control' as a roleplay......asking them to catch up with schedule or another driver will be dispached, of they dont theyre booted out the server......simple as that really.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  13. pschlik

pschlik Well-Known Member

The impression I get is that the plan is to build multiplayer off of services mode, but that the editors should come first so that we can make our own services timetables that are more fun than the current ones (you can only do so much with the default 35 services on Sand Patch) and if there are not enough players, then the AI takes over services like in singleplayer.
    I also figure the dispatcher would be the AI, at least at the start of multiplayer's life. Being dispatcher is something that would work in singleplayer and multiplayer, but I don't think it is a requirement for either.

As much as there is a big difference between driving on road and on rails, I also would not be surprised to see trolls going around. But I think the solution is pretty simple-if someone SPADs or derails, just do what singleplayer does: kick to the main menu without warning. Let server creators decide if that should be a kick that prevents them from joining for a while, or lets them join immediately, but I think no matter what you want as a server creator that a SPAD or derail should terminate the service and put the player back on the main menu.

• Like Like x 2
  14. USRailFan007

USRailFan007 Well-Known Member

Hopefully, we don't see some "Rail Rage" going on (aka guy afks for like 15mins, delaying the entire service time table --- though, this would be fun in its own way too), via multiplayer. Should probably allow hosts, if its going to be based off a person's connection rather than have dedicated servers, to set rules, which allow for more realistic experiences or just outright fun. Trolls are most definitely, unavoidable. Best one can do is brace for impact when it drops.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ian1991

Yes i agree that the whole point would be yeah its cool.if im stuck behind a slow moving service or something but there has to be a boundary bound by the game......so aslong as a player is operating a train correctly they are travelling at atleast 80% speed etc then they are fine.....but if someone sits at a station for 5mins they should get a message from 'the depot' asking if they are ok and to continue, to which the player has one minute to respond and move the train or AI takes over.......something like that.

• Like Like x 1
  16. PlatChap

PlatChap Well-Known Member

What would happen to the service that offended and it's driver got kicked? Would the service just be gone or would someone (or an AI if those are implemented into MP) just take it over with a late penalty? If the train was derailed is it just rerailed and taken over by someone else? Whatever system that is in place that determines when to kick someone would also need to know which person to kick in the event of a player vs player collision. If 2 player trains collide, the system would have to take into consideration the circumstances behind the event, determine which player(s) were at fault and remove that client from the server. This is assuming the system is automated like it is in single player where its a lot easier determine who's at fault.

17. Ian1991

Any event that happens is simple....if an issue is created BY a player or players they both get kicked out to main menu the ai takes over the service and that service is then ready to bw taken over at the next station by a live player.

Two trains wouldnt collide due to safety systems and the game would kick someone out and replace with ai if they storm thru a red light or buffer. Itd just mimic what the game does now.

Its very simple rules drive properly or get kicked just like what happens now in service mode.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Drakoz

Drakoz Active Member

Biggest problem with multi-player would be idiots and jerks ruining everyone's day. It is impossible to solve that through enforcement of any rules in the game as that is a human nature problem that exists on all MP platforms.

MP should simply allow multiple people to be in the environment, walking around and doing the things you can do in single player, but just with each other. Allowing 2 or 3 people to work a train as engineer, brakeman, and conductor (mostly applies to switching cars and yard work). Or just allowing a couple people to ride along together on the engine as they traverse the route. Ya, kinda boring, but it's a train simulator. That's pretty much what we do here. :D

A second stage for MP would be to have a route "command" structure (controllers in the towers or someone controlling the entire route). This probably does not fit well into the current scheme for TSW as the services are automated. Maybe a way to view this is, add the service system together with a less controlled way of doing yard switching and unscheduled train work. Now you are talking about something that is real and active, not just a sterile train schedule that is followed blindly throughout the day.

TSW would need to add decent looking player avatars (the NPC's currently in TSW are very simple and limited) as the avatars would need to look like they are doing many of the things they would do. Stuff like climb on, off, and around an engine or rail car, switching a switch, sitting down and getting up from seats in the engines, etc.

It would be nice to add radio comms handled in TSW instead of depending on external software like TeamSpeak. I know this is a lot to add, but it is important because MP would involve the need for pairs or small groups of people to be able to communicate on private channels (like an engineer and conductor or brakeman), and other channels for main line comms with a tower. There are ways to do this with Teamspeak or Discord, though.

Main point of all this - make Train Sim World come alive by allowing real people to do all the things that real people would do around a railroad. That is what MP should offer.

Also consider that adding all this as MP also allows it to be done in Single Player. At least things like having 2 or 3 people working a train. But in SP, the player would be able to switch from engineer to brakeman to conductor on their own instead of using the external views or getting in and out of the engineer's seat themselves to perform these other jobs. So if these features are added with SP and MP in mind, it really enhances TSW for both modes.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Corvan

Corvan Well-Known Member

Just to note; I don't think it's actually possible to derail a train in TSW and I believe that was a deliberate choice by the developers. Most companies that offer licenses probably don't want videos out showing their branded rolling stock derailing. Bad publicity.

20. Sintbert

Sintbert Well-Known Member

I would love to have Virtual Railroad Company's again.

Private and Public servers where you can choose different roles.
    A manager that plans services that can be run from templates (also user-created ones) that will adjust to the starting-time and assigns them to drivers.
    A operator per yard/segment where it makes sense, that routes the trains on their journeys.
    And then there are the drivers which start at an "Office" on stations or whatever and get their train assigned or can just walk around.

All this organized with simulated radio(voice) and text-chat.

For public servers the manager and operator may be scripted instead, just to not ruin it for everyone...

• Like Like x 3
  21. GibbseyNZ

GibbseyNZ Member

Firstly for multiplayer I think the ability to work a train with another player would be good and probably easiest to do. An example would be in Heavy Haul, 1 player is locomotive engineer driving the train and another acts as conductor and gets on and off the loco coupling up and getting points levers. would be more cooperative than just driving trains on the same route at the same time which wouldn't be much different than solo driving.
    Another option would be a dispatcher or signal box mode where you are in control of a section of track and have to route trains through. can have "radio" communication between drivers in section and controller to manage trains.

• Like Like x 4
  22. RXRNathan

RXRNathan New Member

I'm guessing that some dispatchers will work the trains round so everything works fine. It would be good to see a locomotive operator and a train crew to make the ends meet so its easier on the dispatchers. But it's dependent on how many people and locomotives could be running in the server, as there could be long waits at signals for a clearance or an approach medium.

23. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

I'm certainly interested in eventually seeing how DTG implement MP in TSW. I can understand the concerns re: trolls and those bent on ruining a session-- I definitely had similar concerns until I dipped my toe into the world of MP as defined by Run 8 Studios in their trainsim. I played on a 24/7 server that anyone serious about trains and working with others could get the password for. I ended up meeting a great bunch of players from around the globe instead of what I feared; trolls/idiots. That was a huge relief and so it was super easy to get stuck in.

There was something for all of us- yard work galore if you liked switching or operating the hump yard, locals to run if that was your thing, mainline runs, MoW stuff, dispatching-- it was/is pretty sandboxy (there were a couple of players who would log in as foamers/anoraks which made me chuckle). I ended my time there while being a server admin (real life sometimes has a habit of getting in the way of things!). As an aside, as a server admin I cautioned one player in many hundreds of hours of play and in a variable population from 5 or 6 players 'afterhours' to 40+ players at peak times. I'm thinking that the community aspect will be similar in TSW.

Of course it also depends on how DTG implement multiplayer too. I will say I'm hoping it's not like their attempt in RW3 or maybe TS2012? where you selected a scenario, drove the bag off the loco for a portion of the route, then sent the save file to your buddy who then loaded up that save and took over the vacated loco only to have to drive the sack off it in order to catch up to RSC/DTG's overly rigid timetabling. If I recall correctly I don't believe we actually ever completed a scenario that way lol.

24. pschlik

You mean relay mode? Wasn't that one scenario for that entire "gamemode" great? \s

• Like Like x 1
  25. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

That's right, Relay Mode...sorry, forgot the correct term. That was their nod at multiplayer since it took more than one player to complete the relay. At the time I *think* I was worried it would be similar to the MP n3v had tacked on to Trainz 9 or 10 (of course that was before my good experiences in R8). Heh, too funny. :)

26. LimitedEdiition

LimitedEdiition Well-Known Member

I don't understand where this idea that a multiplayer simulator would be rampant of trolls comes from. Train Simulators are an extremely niche hobby, with a high price tag. Not too many people on this planet find train simulators something intriguing because let's face it, the average human could care less about driving trains, and TSW with it's DLCs probably cost around 100 USD.

27. 85Leaf

85Leaf Active Member

I can't point out the origin of the idea of trolls rampaging through a Trainsim to ruin the gameplay for everyone else as thats been around for a long time-- despite very little actual train sim MP available. It may well be due to what happens in other simulations that have MP where there are, it seems, always a couple of idiots getting their jollies from provoking others. Not every server, whether run by a game company or a 'public' set up, are adminned well. Your play experience will vary dependent on the players logged in and the willingness of the server owner/operators/admins to enforce their servers etiquette and ruleset.

As a former server admin/GM I can attest to the shenanigans (hacks, exploits etc) and other ban-able behavior of a very few who certainly try to ruin the experience of everyone else playing; why would they do that? I've no short answer. Some things you can do to protect yourself are join passworded servers if available, join known servers where you know who is playing or at least know the reputation of that server/group of players (much like a model rail club). Go in with an open mind- not everyone is an expert and not everyone is a terribad player. Don't get drawn into a debate with a troll. If you need to complain, whisper the admin/GM online and let them deal with the situation-- if they ignore the situation then you have the ability of not going back to that server and finding somewhere that you find is better/fits your play-style. In MP rail I find you get a wide range of players, from those who want complete immersion and prototypical 'play' to some who are just there to operate a train for a little while, to those who are indifferent to whats being played out and are laissez-faire with time tables etc. Add personality and some of what I mentioned doesn't mix. Hence my comment 'keep an open mind'. Hopefully that all makes some kind of sense.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  28. pschlik

I think a lot of the perspective on trolls comes from truck sim multiplayer, where trolls are most definitely a reality that's not really being counteracted that well. I mean, you give people pretty fast cars in a truck game and expect anyone to be reasonable? Come on...

Of course, train sim is very different from truck sim. As a (literally) on rails experience, there's actually a lot less that any troll could do compared to the general perspective on trolls. Considering that a troll here would be at the mercy of a dispatcher and a system that can easily detect when they do something wrong, it would be pretty easy to take action automatically for someone doing anything from speeding to spadding. (Compare that to truck sim where you can have people choosing their route, driving the wrong way, smashing into other people...and no real systems in place to automatically detect who is at fault.)

And it helps that train sim is smaller and not so cheap. You aren't going to need to fit 1000 people on one map, thus less to moderate, and the price to get into a session may be $70 considering a route and a couple loco DLC at play. Someone going out of their way to cause trouble is more likely to go for a bigger game that is cheaper.

My perspective? I don't think TSW multiplayer will be claimed by trolls.

• Like Like x 6
  29. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

I think creating a working multiplayer system is very complicated, due to all possible interactions you need to take into account. You can see, the core TSW game is quite well prepared for multiplayers. You can think of:

- In service mode you claim a service. Unclaimed services are driven as AI. Multiple players play them.
    - Using different roles, e.g. shunter, driver, traffic control.
    - With multiple users perform shunting duties.

Again I believe it is very complicated to make it really woking with potentially non-co-operative users and users acting with very different levels of skills and ambitions. To me it is not very important.

• Like Like x 1
  30. Driver-17111045

Driver-17111045 New Member

I tend to do shift work on the trains. For instance, I start at 02:17 from Reading depot. Stay on same train, all the way to London Padd, back to Reading, and repeat it until break at depot approach approx 12pm. I then take service back out to Reading station. I would hate to be unable to do my 12 hour shift, just because someone decides half way through the want to take over.

31. Schnauzahpowahz

Schnauzahpowahz Well-Known Member

Somthings def coming for tsw2021. What it will be is unspoken and unknown by most. Secretly whispered by few

I for one hope its not multiplayer

• Like Like x 1
  32. ewsclass66

ewsclass66 New Member

They should team up with SimSig to provide the option for players to be signallers, that would be pretty awesome

• Like Like x 1
  33. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Reviving a thread that is basically 3 years old is a poor idea. Start a fresh one.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Why does it matter when the thread they are "reviving" was created if the subject is still relevant? If anything, there's more context in threads that were opened earlier and reflect development/dev comment history.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  35. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

I can only see it as a route lobby where there are xx amount of services. This will either mean a really busy or quiet lobby. I guess you all run the signals as per normal with other players.
    My first thought is what’s the point as the trains are still a to b and all you may see is a user name above a train as it whips past you. Kinda pointless.

I wonder what happens when one player nips to loo and parks on track, there won’t be collisions either as it’s “not that type of game”.

36. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

It matters because as time goes on many of the things said in the thread get outdated. New users will need to re-read everything and even users that posted in the thread would probably need to read it all again just to remember what has been said. So it is better to make a new thread based on what is the current state of the matter.

Many forums just auto-lock threads older than 1 month. I suggest they do the same in this forum if possible.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  37. Commiee

Commiee Well-Known Member

Which is exactly what is needed for an informed discussion.

38. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

I think there is a rule against necroposting ...

Anyway. The topic is in Wikipedia already, kind of ...

39. Kazick

Kazick Member

Reading the comments on a old thread. Uhm guys...have you seen how Run8 handles multiplayer? Like, that's the exact ideal way to do it. But that would require a full rework of how TSW handles trains that I dont see happening anytime soon. Because yes, "Multiplayer when?" But also, "How do you monetize it?"

40. BladesAndRazors

BladesAndRazors Member

I would like to have a shunting helper in multiplayer.
    I drive the loco and my collegue couples and uncouples and maybe set points.

• Like Like x 1
  41. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

No I want to do the shunting and you can do the running around on foot!

No doubt we’ll need a Tinderlike app to match us up for multi.

42. Kazick

Kazick Member

In past experiences, Run8 and multi crew model railroad operations, I've ended up taking turns with my fellow crew member. So we'd take a train out of the yard and one person would be driving, the other making the cuts and doing the paper work. Then on the next train we swapped out who was doing what. Worked well enough.

43. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

In my past Run 8 career in Barstow, I always enjoyed working the trim while someone else (or AI) worked the hump. It would be cool to recreate this kind of synergistic work in TSW.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  44. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Same here. I'd love to have both an Engineer and Conductor, 2 people, nothing else. I don't see the need to have multiple people driving multiple trains.

45. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

Not all freight locos carry an engineer.

46. Kazick

Kazick Member

From my extensive experience, I find that having a player in another train does add to the game. For example, you might not see that other player 20 miles down the line, but they might be doing a task that will later affect your game. Maybe they are building the train in the yard that you will take back the other way. Or running the other way on the main. Sure you'll only see them for a moment, but for me it feels different, feels better, knowing that train I just passed was driven by another player. This also lends into some more advanced operations. I have often coordinated with dispatch (Player) and another road crew going the other rollings meets. One of us will slow down a little so when we get to a passing siding we didn't have to come to a complete stop. Not a operation that the AI can do.

The other thing that would make multiplayer fun even if you don't see it is the bigger picture. Lets use Run8 and YBK50 as an example. Its the UP Edison local out of UP Bakersfield yard (BK). Lets say you wanted to run it every Monday. You'd find it on BK track 5 all set and ready to go. But it didn't spawn there. That train was built by the UP BK yard crew and placed on track 5. Meaning at some point before Monday, another player or players logged in and built that train from cars that came in on a MWCBK train form West Colton. Which again, was a train that another player built from cars in WC that came in from 50 other locations. So you don't see those other players, but all the stuff they do effects you. If West Colton shut down, and they didn't sort cars and build new trains soon BK would be out of cars, and you'd have nothing to run.

I think that bigger picture is something to consider when talking multiplayer. Bringing the ideas to TSW, I'm going to use Sand Patch as my example since its the only route I play right now. But you could pop in and sort cars in Cumberland yard. Make new trains for other players to run out. Maybe build a short empty coal train that another player can take out and load. Then they come back a few hours later with the loads and now you have more cars to sort. It's doable. You jsut have to look beyond just your cab at the sort of experience it could add.

Wut?

• Like Like x 2
  47. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Is it really so important to remove resources (in this case system resources) to develop and release a feature of doubtful use? Frankly: how many people would use multiplayer and what would they really do with it? "Wait for me, I have now left London, in 30 minutes I need you for the shunting" or "Get in, I drive you are a passenger 'or do you prefer to stay with me in the cab?" Exciting to meet once every 30 mins ~ 1 hour. And, but then we cooperate! Wouldn't it be better if those system resources (already lacking due to •flagship• and new generation consoles that already have the 16GB RAM and the 3.6Ghz CPU with lots of medium-low settings too) were squeezed to offer everyone a simulation and a game world that is increasingly credible and close to the real counterpart? Have you seen how broader and more articulated the TS20XX maps are and how even the simulation engine (even if really now obsolete) seems more complex and therefore credible and immersive? So wouldn't it be better if those resources were invested on the simulation side of the game?

48. Kazick

Kazick Member

So let me unpack some of this.

Run8 has some rock solid multiplayer and I run my own server. It runs 24/7 meaning that anyone can log in and run trains or do yard work whenever they want. And my server has typically 5-15 people on at any given time. And from what I gather of other servers those numbers can be as high as 20-30 people on at any given time. And looking back years ago, there where the Calling All Seniority Hoggers (CASH) sessions. These where big preplanned sessions where people would sign up weeks in advance. Then you'd get e-mailed all your train orders/paperwork. Then the session would run for a full 24 hours or longer. These sessions would have 150+ people sign up to play though out the 24 hour period. At season start, you'd have 70+ people pop in. I think the most I saw at one point was like 85 people. That meant that every train had a conductor and an engineer. That meant that any train you saw moving was another player. And as I said in a previous post, there is a different feel to it when that other train you are passing is driven by a player.

As for what they would do, let copy and paste this from my previous comments. The other thing that would make multiplayer fun even if you don't see it is the bigger picture. Lets use Run8 and YBK50 as an example. Its the UP Edison local out of UP Bakersfield yard (BK). Lets say you wanted to run it every Monday. You'd find it on BK track 5 all set and ready to go. But it didn't spawn there. That train was built by the UP BK yard crew and placed on track 5. Meaning at some point before Monday, another player or players logged in and built that train from cars that came in on a MWCBK train form West Colton. Which again, was a train that another player built from cars in WC that came in from 50 other locations. So you don't see those other players, but all the stuff they do effects you. If West Colton shut down, and they didn't sort cars and build new trains soon BK would be out of cars, and you'd have nothing to run. This is indirect cooperative game-play.

So bringing it back to TSW, it wouldn't necessarily mean that you have to play directly with someone. Like with Run8, it could be indirect cooperative game-play. An example of this working in TSW. Lets say you like to run one passenger route. So every day at noon you log in and run this train along its route. And by the end of the day you bring it back to the shops/yard to get serviced and ready for the next trip. But me, I like to do yard work and I like to service the locomotives. So every day at 8am I log in. I see your train from the day before needs serviced. So I take your train to the service tracks and refuel it, wash it, turn it around, and place it on the ready tracks. So when you log in at noon, you have a train ready to run. And to take it a step further. Maybe the stations simulate different travel conditions. Maybe its a big holiday so there are more passengers to pick up. So I, being the yard crew, have to be aware of this and maybe add more passenger cars to your train. This is of course, taking the scenario that multiplayer would be 24/7 servers that mimic the real world. Similar to how people who fly flight simulators tend to set the time and weather to match the real world location they are flying in.

And just a reminder, that multiplayer would just be another way to enjoy TSW. Just another way to play. Services mode, Journeys mode, Multiplayer Mode. No one would be forcing you to play it. Just like with Run8, yes it has rock solid multiplayer, but no one is forcing you to play it that way. There are many people who play it single player.

• Like Like x 2
  49. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

No it's not. Multiplayer was cancelled, and so there is no point in even speculating on it since it will most likely never happen.

• Like Like x 1
  50. TheShotte

TheShotte Well-Known Member

You do have a shunting helper already, it's called Map and Free Camera. I can't remember the last time I got out of a cab to throw a switch or uncouple cars. Also, on American stuff (and 363), you can lock/unlock couplers with Control/C or Shift/Control/C (back and front). Be careful though, cause it uncouples whatever is attached to your loco, even if it's another loco (it's not smart like that), so if you want to use the keyboard shortcut, you have to switch to the loco coupled to the cars. You can switch cabs with Control/- and Control/+ (Control and plus/minus keys).