Time For Ebula?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by solicitr, Jan 26, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

EBuLa (Elektronischer Buchfahrplan Mit Verzeichnis der Langsamfahrstellen, Electronic Schedule with Directory of Speed Restrictions) has long been the missing link on German routes, and a significant tool real-world German drivers have to avoid that familiar "Surprise Zs3" (and panicked max braking, else the inevitable Zwangsbremsung).

Almost all German locos have that blank screen on the right side of the desk. But now...

DTG has implemented real-time dynamic PIS systems, which are "reading" the actual traffic on the system. How big a leap would it be to take that programming and repurpose it to a working EBuLa?

• Like Like x 21
  2. Aufzug

Aufzug Active Member

I think this was something Matt and Sam mentioned in the past that they want to do this. I hope they have functionality soon!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I don't really think those things go together.

They did, and that it should be something automated reading from the route. I really hope this is not the way they will do it, and if, that they fix the route information (aka whats shown on the HUD) first so it also works properly!

• Like Like x 1
  4. TheChickenWing

TheChickenWing New Member

Hello,

I think the implementation of a working EbuLa-System would be very nice. But you have to know that this system is more complex than only know the time / delay of a single train.

First of all you have to know every single position (in relation to the track-kilometer!) of all signals, stations etc. and the track speed for the whole tracks where the train should drive. If you know the parameters, you need an algorithm to create a "Buchfahrplan" (timetable for a single train).

This algorithm has to calculate:
    - The way which the train will drive
    - All positions of all signals, stations etc. on this way
    - All times when the train should pass the locations in relation to the distance, track speed and calculated speed of the train (in Germany the timetables are not so calculated, that the trains drive with full speed)

If you have the timetable you need the position of all single trains. It could be easy if you check, when a train pass a given location of a signal etc. and return the position of the certain location to the EbuLa-System. (If you have multiple units on the track at the same time, the memory will be (potentially) killed ... especially on consoles).

The programming of this kind of algorithm could be very complex and need a lot of time to be finished.

I hope my reply shows a little bit, that the programming of a working (EbuLa-) system isn't so easy like you think :)

Best Regards

P.S: the feature "Langsamfahrstellen" (the "La" of EbuLa) isn't really working in real life (or not in use)

(removing some spelling mistakes)

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

This would be cool to have in game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

I would really love this. This would also be a good support to play without the HUD and increase the immersion highly for me!

• Like Like x 1
  8. w.lichko

w.lichko Well-Known Member

Blank screens are the largest immersion breakers for me, with a functional EBuLa I wouldn't need to use the HUD ever again.

For those who missed the end of year Q&A, I asked a question regarding the integration of the EBuLa system in TSW 2.

Now with dynamic passenger&station destination information screens and more route data, it looks promising, but it's not in the plans as of yet.

36:10 - 37:56

(EDIT) =

Found another answer to the EBuLa question on an HMA pre-release stream:

It's definitely on their radar, we might see it in the next german DLC or maybe the one after that. Who knows!

48:58 - 50:00

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  9. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Just want to voice my support for a working EBuLa. For those that don't know what a working EBuLa looks like:
    [​IMG]
    You can see that there's an incredible amount of useful information on that screen: current position, upcoming and current speed limits, stations, next scheduled stop, etc...
    This would be extremely useful for immersion :D

• Like Like x 5
  10. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Very good idea