I'm Craving A Tilting Train

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Mr heff, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

Class 390/ICE-T is good for me! Or even an APT!

• Like Like x 12
  2. Olaf the Snowman

Olaf the Snowman Well-Known Member

Class 221s too. With tilting trains in the UK- 390s/221s- DTG will have to overcome some challenges:
    1. They will need to implement a speed supervision system called TASS.
    2. Getting the dynamic/blended braking correct will be key on a Class 390 given that there is a separate dynamic braking display below the speedometer as well as a more conventional brake cylinder gauge. (There’s the air brake too)
    3. I’d also argue that implementing a functioning TMS is key particularly for Class 390
    4. West Coast Mainline use RA indicators at Euston and most stations on the network (for class 390s) even though there’s a guard on the train. So it would be good to see an automatic RA.

Given that DTG have avoided a lot of the above (e.g. No ATP on GWE, extremely little functionality of the TMS on Class 377s, Dynamic braking hasn’t been thought about on the Class 377s, etc...), I would be interested to see how they tackle the above.
    And that’s without even thinking about route size. To enjoy Class 390/221, I’d say you need at least Euston-Birmingham which is 112 miles. But it probably would be more like Euston to Milton Keynes (50 miles) which would be ok for the Class 350 stoppers not for intercity trains.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. Mr heff

Mr heff Well-Known Member

I just hope their passion for accuracy overrides the challenge.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Olaf the Snowman

They’ve got infrastructure issues too. They may have got away with it on GWE but the West Coast relies on these a lot more:

1. Preliminary Route Indicator: They were able to get away with this on GWE because there’s only one (approaching junction turning towards Old Oak Common/North Pole depot). It doesn’t work and it is always blank. But the West Coast have got lots of these at key locations such as for Trent Valley junction (Rugby, where junction splits between route to Birmingham and route via Trent Valley); Colwich Junction- just South of Stafford which splits route between route to Manchester via Stoke and route to Stafford/Crewe. And they’ve got them on the approach to Coventry and Birmingham International stations.

2. Flashing yellows: Lots of them on the West Coast whether it’s crossovers between fast/slow lines or being platformed at stations (e.g. Coventry, Birmingham international) or key junctions (e.g. Weaver Junction splitting line between Liverpool/Preston). They kind of got away with it on the GWE because Paddington to Reading only really has flashing yellows for the first type (between fast/slow lines) and most services you stay on the same line so flashing yellows aren’t needed.
    Edit to add: they have got flashing yellows working on SEHS which is a positive sign

3. I’ve already discussed RA indicators at stations. Again, GWE they got away with it because RA indicators are only used at Paddington and Reading for DOO services not guarded/intercity services. So even if the GWE Route was extended to Bristol, the RA indicator isn’t needed. Whereas, on the West Coast Mainline, the Class 390 uses them at nearly all stations. [The guard closes the doors, closes their local door and then the dispatcher on the platform operates the RA indicator]. At London Euston, Birmingham and Manchester, every train must be dispatched via the RA indicator (there are a few exceptions if you want to be clever like the network rail flying banana). But I think you get my point that RA indicator is instrumental on the WCML.

4. You’ve got the other generic issues too such as TPWS grids not working, approach release signals, etc... And it will be interesting to see how SouthEastern high speed does with respect to overhead Line equipment. Apart from the aesthetics /sounds, will the pantograph work correctly, neutral sections, ADD activations, etc...

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  5. Jamie Yearsley-ward

Jamie Yearsley-ward New Member

i need this train to

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ras

Ras Member

APT for me

• Like Like x 3
  7. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

Out of all tilting trains, I would want an Amtrak Cascades route with the Talgo Series 8 trainsets with WSDOT SC-44 Siemens Charger locomotives.

• Like Like x 1
  8. [UK] Alien Baltan

[UK] Alien Baltan Active Member

I'd definitely buy an APT-P or APT-E if they were to be made for TSW2 :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Sharpey

Sharpey Member

10. BlackTabby

BlackTabby Active Member

I would want a Queensland Rail Diesel Tilt Train, but not the electric tilt train.

11. Olaf the Snowman

Just wanted to update that they have got the first 2 points working now which is good news. PRI indicators working on GWE and flashing yellows working for at least one junction on SEHS. I went into more detail about PRIs on this thread: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/pri-indicators-now-working-well-done-dtg.36029/

Next infrastructure issues to work on: Approach release signalling, proper functioning TPWS, automated guard/dispatcher mode to give automated CD/RA indicators or bell/buzzer.

12. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Yeah, a regio swinger BR612.