How To Pass Red Lights (asking For Permission)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Kyoshi, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kyoshi

Kyoshi New Member

Hey everyone. This might be the first one many questions I may have on these forums so please forgive me and my super noobness. I am enjoying Traim Sim World on Xbone so far, it is well done. I am using the easiest train in service mode and I will be for a while until I get a full grasp on the game. Thing is, I have run into a problem. Red lights. Sometimes I might overshoot a station, reverse to stop at said station and get a red light at the end of the station afterwards. I have heard you can request permission to pass, but I have no idea on how to do that, I can't find any resources for doing it. Apparently the Tab key is used on PC, but I have no idea here.

Any ideas?

• Like Like x 2
  2. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

You need to press and hold the left arrow button till you get a menu come on screen with "request to pass signal at danger", "unlock left" and "unlock right'. Select "request to pass signal at danger".

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pets0undz1966

Pets0undz1966 New Member

So, I'm playing a scenario with Class 43, operating to Old Oak Common Access Road. I do "Request to pass signal" as described. I'm 28 yards from the signal. No matter how many times I request it doesn't change. So I must be doing something wrong.
    I should add I get the message "Proceed at Restricted Speed," then even proceeding around 1 MPH I get "Service Failure" for passing a signal at danger

Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Pets0undz1966

Pets0undz1966 New Member

I think I got it...if I'm less than 10 yards from the signal and "Request to pass," then it works OK. So if that's the behavior, it'd be nice if the message said "Proceed closer to signal and request again."

• Like Like x 1
  5. HopesAnchor131

HopesAnchor131 Active Member

Sounds like a glitch really. You shouldn't have to be a certain distance for it to work surely?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Molsonboy

Molsonboy New Member

I am having the same problem now as Pets, for this first scenario. I leave the station, and as I approach first "red" I stop, and try to request to pass, but get nothing on the first try. I try it again, I get the proceed at restricted speed, but if I do, it fails. I have gotten as close as 3m, and still no go. As fun as this is, very annoying.

Also, out of the 3 engines we have, none of them have a bell? The control layout says it is up arrow, but, no bell. Am I the only one that doesn't have this, or is it not implemented yet?
    Frustrating.

EDIT:

Well then... after taking a "run around" at the "red" light, I think I figured it out. There was "two" track switches I had to "switch" manually, to get on the right tracks to continue on with the scenario. I find this odd as I am engineering a high speed train, and not a "freight" engine, but, what ever. Will see how this ends. :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

For anyone else who's stuck on this one:

I can confirm that two switches need to be thrown to complete this service. I spent about half an hour last night looking at the map and fiddling with it to get it to work. I don't have a way to show the map here, but you'll notice that the track you need to take to the destination point is highlighted in blue color. If you follow the blue track back from the destination towards the start, you'll see a couple of places where the initial switch positions will send you into a siding that's permanently red-lighted (the two switches are between the start point and a 3 or 4 track siding that you'll see on your left as you start to move forward). Once you set the switches correctly, your "upcoming signal indicator" will change from red to yellow. If it's still showing as red, you didn't do the switches right. Just a quick note, be careful of the down-gradient on the cross-over track; almost ran the red light at the destination because I wasn't paying attention!!

Although it really could have used some in-game explanation, I thought this was a cool little service. I'm not a rail expert by any means, but I thought it was neat showing the difference between yard operations (essentially what you're doing before the manual switches), and main line operations where you're under control of the Interlock System (not sure of the UK term, but basically automated switching control).

P.S.If you didn't already know, you can set any manual switch directly from the map if you want, no need to get out and walk over to it.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Pets0undz1966

Pets0undz1966 New Member

Nice. Thanks for the tip on throwing switches from the map!

• Like Like x 2
  9. Everett

Everett New Member

Thanks for this. It helped me a lot.
    This is my first run-in with switches (I just chose a GWR Services from the list and started at the top!) and I was totally bamboozled.
    Setting the switches from the map is fantastic, too.
    ===========
    I just ran this again.
    Before I even started the engine I spent time on the map setting/resetting switches until it looked like I had set he path correctly. I was so glad I got through the yard okay - and so carefully, when I saw I needed to get to Paddington I hurried as best I could but still arrived twelve (12) minutes late.
    I wanted to take the same train back out on it's next service, but I had to give up the couch...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Dagrynn

Dagrynn Member

Thank you for this. That's exactly what I needed.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steadfast

steadfast Member

UK locos don't have a functional bell. We have e two tone horns instead. It'd be better if they activated the other tone of the horn on the "bell" control for UK traction, this was was how TS 2018 etc did it

• Like Like x 1
  12. dj1974

dj1974 New Member

Thx buddy ran into the same problem did the switches before I set off and now have a yellow light as apposed to red

13. Jack O'Track

Jack O'Track Active Member

where are those switches?

• Like Like x 1
  14. markeley2006

markeley2006 New Member

What should I do? I request to pass at danger but all it says is “Proceed as Signals Indicate” I don’t want to go through and it say Service Failure

• Like Like x 1
  15. jasonpfc

jasonpfc Well-Known Member

If u have a red signal and u request to pass at danger, and it says proceed at speed restriction, u should be ok to carry on

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

If you get Proceed as Signals Indicate it is safe to pass I have done it, and it has never given me Service Failure.

• Like Like x 1
  17. xD 2Bad4You

xD 2Bad4You Well-Known Member

Just be careful: Sometimes you are supposed to go in the other direction ( backwards or changing ends) and you ask for permission which gets granted doesnt apply to the signal you might be looking at but the one going in the other direction.
    It happend to me here and there where i missed that it should go in the other direction :P.
    I often save before i pass a signal at danger to be sure :D

• Like Like x 1
  18. horseshoecurve

horseshoecurve New Member

I'm on the horseshoe curve free roam I'm in the lead engine NS Es44ac with Empty coal cars an I'm waiting at the signal an there's no other trains on the route at night time an I can't change the signal

19. reofthepony#1080

reofthepony#1080 New Member

Hey Train Sim Fam. Just an observation from a newbie. I’ve been playing the Trans-Pen DLC with the freight pack. After 5 attempts at ‘Tools of the Trade’ I gave up then tried a timetable run and for whatever reason hit the circle ( playing on PS5 ) and boom permissions granted. Full stream ahead crew

20. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

Nice necro :cool:

• Like Like x 3