Southern Pacific Daylight Route-late 1940s (los Angeles-ventura)

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Oct 23, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

26 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Southern Pacific's Coast Daylight was considered to be the most beautiful train in the world by many for its bright sunset colors and luxury service. The Daylight ran between Los Angeles, California; to San Francisco, California. To implement the entirety of the route into Train Simulator would be a very daunting task, so instead I propose that only a section of the route be implemented, starting at LAUPT, and ending at the depot in Ventura. With this route, not only will we have a definitive route for the Southern Pacific GS4s, several other SP locomotives can come of this route such as the MT-4 mountains, and P-8 Pacifics. Not only that, but new rolling stock can come with this route like some standard SP Pullman passenger cars, and 1950s boxcars. In my opinion, this route would be a fantastic edition to Train Simulator.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
    • Like Like x 9
  2. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

If we get this route set in the 50s and 60s, we could get some really cool diesels like the SP Daylight liveried Alco PA-1s, Black Widow F7 or FP7s, FM H-24-66 Trainmasters, GP7/9s, or SD7/9s. Maybe DLCs? I would love this.

• Like Like x 5
  3. 777Gaming

777Gaming Well-Known Member

This is a really interesting idea. I'm a fan of SP, so this would be cool!

• Like Like x 3
  4. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Ooh. OOh. OOH. I LIKE THIS. I LIKE THIS A LOT. Throw in brand new, and preferably advanced, GS-4 and AC-12 DLC's, and you've an INSTANT seller for me.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AndTheBest

AndTheBest Active Member

Nice suggestion

• Like Like x 2
  6. steammaster4449

Let's have some films on the Daylights shall we?
    None of these are mine mind you.

For the curious ones out there, the names of the two songs heard in the fourth video are When The Train Comes Along by David Holt and Foggy Mountain Breakdown by Flatt & Scruggs

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  7. steammaster4449

Oh let's have another two.
    Again, these vids ain't mine.

• Like Like x 2
  8. steammaster4449

Edit: I do believe these dome cars made it onto the Coast Daylight AFTER diesels started hauling it in place of steam. Although I do reserve the right to be wrong.

Oh hey, would ya look at that? Canadian Pacific have a former Southern Pacific home built Daylight dome car, second to last car in the consist.

Here's what they used to look like:
    Three Quarter Length Dome.jpg
    Amtrak Three Quater Dome.jpg This next picture was taken in 1977 as SP 4449, then still in it's American Freedom Train paint, was on its way back from Florida, where it pulled the last run of the AFT, to Portland as a one-of-a-kind and once-in-a-lifetime transcontinental Amtrak steam excursion:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Notice how they're all rib-less. Southern Pacific removed all the stainless steel ribbing on their passenger cars that had it for ease of maintenance and cost reduction after the roads and airlines started eating into their passenger revenue.
    [​IMG]
    Daylight Dome Car.jpg
    Daylight Dome.jpg
    Oh wow. I CANNOT find a SINGLE color photograph of one of these things in their original exterior look, with the stainless steel ribbing and Daylight paint. Welp. There's always this old Southern Pacific company film that shows various maintenance operations, as well as the construction of the first of these dome cars. Here it is:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  9. steammaster4449

OOH OOH OOH!!!! The LARK could be on this route as well!!!! I nearly forgot about it!! Everyone always gets to thinking about the Daylights and everything, but nobody ever really considers their nighttime counterpart, the Lark. The Lark usually ran with Daylight painted locomotives between the Third And Townsend Depot in San Fran and LAUPT, but they had their own two tone grey paint scheme applied to the passenger cars that it shared with the Cascades service. The Lark also didn't have its own dome cars, but seeing as to how it was basically an overnight version of the Coast Daylight, it was understandable. It did have its own triple articulated diner like the Daylights though, and it was named the Lark Club. Anyways, here's the Wikipedia article on the train. Eventually though, with roads and airlines eating up passenger train revenue like mad, the Lark was downsized, given that late era silver with red band paint scheme and was being pulled by the SDP45's before being cancelled in 1968. Shame really. It was a fantastic counterpart to the Coast Daylight.

Sadly, there aren't to many videos on the Lark in reality, but modelling's the next best thing. I'm also not really able to find to many good quality photographs of the Lark in its heyday, and one can most likely chock that up to the interest for photographing a train that ran at night not really being there at the time, with the exception of Ogle Winston Link, but I think most any railfan that's heard of him know he stuck to the N&W like glue for his world famous night photography, but that's not really the topic of this post. 'Tis a shame nobody went out and got photographs of it. It was such a lovely train. The best photographs I've seen of it are in Brian Solomon's book on the Espee and the closest copy of that book I have access to is at my local public library along with another Brian Solomon book on the New York Central and an older book on the ET&WNC, and I don't have the capabilities to scan photos out of books and digitize 'em.

Edit: Added the name of the Lark Club diner.
    Edit 2: Removed a mistake due to me thinking the Niles Canyon's triple unit diner was from the Lark when in fact it's from the Oakland to Portland Cascades. My apologies.
    Edit 3: Added in the bit about the Lark and Cascades sharing a paint scheme.
    Edit 4: Corrected wording.
    Edit 5: Added "..., with the exception of Ogle Winston Link, but I think most any railfan that's heard of him know he stuck to the N&W like glue for his world famous night photography...".

• Like Like x 2
  10. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I'd love to see some equipment for the Lark packaged with the route if it ever gets made! If I remember correctly, Pentrex's Southern Pacific Daylight Collection has a couple of video clips of the Lark making a station stop in Glendale. The Daylight locomotives go suprisingly well with the two-tone gray paint scheme in most of the cars.

• Like Like x 1
  11. steammaster4449

I'll have to give that film a look see. And you're most certainly right when you say, "The Daylight locomotives go surprisingly well with the two-tone gray paint scheme in most of the cars." Although I honestly wonder what a GS-4 or 5, E9, or PA would've looked like in that two tone gray livery.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  12. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

that is a cool idea for a route and paint scheme!

• Like Like x 2
  13. steammaster4449

Well I've seen the preview of it, and it's nice. Gonna be adding that one to the list of Pentrex films I plan on getting.
    Here's the preview if anyone's curious:

And here's the link to the Pentrex store page for the film:
    https://www.pentrex.com/DVD-Southern-Pacific-Daylight-Collection-DVD_PCDAY-DVD

Edit: Put the store link on it's own line.

• Like Like x 2
  14. steammaster4449

Let's have another video on Espee steam ops, with a focus on the Daylights in the later part of the video. Also the observant ones might notice a certain "Forgotten Daylight" popping up a couple of times in the video.

• Like Like x 1
  15. steammaster4449

Let's have some more videos, starting off with the World's Fair Daylight in 1984.

And now we have a video of a modeled Lark consist:

[​IMG]

Edit: Added the photograph.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  16. steammaster4449

Seeing as to how the last time this thread was given some attention was the previous year, here I am. Anywhoozles, lets have some photographs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Man. For the life of the forums, I CANNOT find a picture of any steam, transition, and early diesel era photos of Espee freights along the Coast Line so as to illustrate the freight ops that could be included with the route. I'm gonna keep trying though.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. steammaster4449

Well. I did say:
    So. Here I am. Instead of looking for more pictures, I turned to the next best thing. Motion pictures. YouTube's been more helpful with things, so lets have some steam and transition era motion pictures of the Coast Line. Do forgive me for not being able to find film of just freights or mostly freights on the Coast Line, or, if any shots of freights ain't even on the Coast Line, forgive for me that as well, I don't know the line THAT well.

There's a 22 car Coast Daylight about a minute and a half into this next one.

And that's it motion picture wise for this post.

Well I mean, if it was to be done, could just make a steam era or transition era version of the line in segments that are all merge-able. But it'd still be a daunting task, but hey, one can dream, right?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. steammaster4449

Well lets have another model Coast Daylight video.

Or two.

Maybe three with this third one focusing on just about everything.

Here's the Pentrex store page for that film and it's sister volume:
    https://www.pentrex.com/DVD-Southern-Pacific-Film-Archives-Combo-DVD_SPFA12-DVD

OOH OOH OOH!!!!!
    This next film has a blink and you'll miss it catch of one of them Daylight three quarter length dome cars in it's original, ribbed, red and orange, steam heated splendor a lil ways into it. It also covers various operations on the Espee back in steam's heyday.

• Like Like x 1
  19. steammaster4449

Don't mind me, just getting back to it with the motion pictures.

And here we see a Lark service just in from Third and Townsend Depot in San Fran at LAUPT.

[​IMG]

And finally we see the rear of a Coast Daylight from within the Third and Townsend terminal building. On a side note, rest in peace and pieces Third and Townsend, you are missed.

[​IMG]

Edit: Changed "And finally we see what I think to be the rear of a Coast Daylight from within the Third and Townsend terminal building. On a side note, rest in peace and pieces Third and Townsend, you are missed." to "And finally we see the rear of a Coast Daylight from within the Third and Townsend terminal building. On a side note, rest in peace and pieces Third and Townsend, you are missed."

• Like Like x 1
  20. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I do feel like the Coast Daylight needs a 2nd shot at Train Simulator, the old G-Trax model is outdated, and didnt even come with matching passenger cars (Except some 3rd party reskins) It would be nice for it to come to TS20XX proper, with the GS-4 in more numbers than 4449, and the train number board. It should also include the correct passenger equipment as well, like the triple unit dining car.
    triple-unit-diner_profile.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  21. steammaster4449

This website right here is a good one if you wanna learn more about the Coast Daylight. I've certainly found it helpful.
    https://spdaylight.net/Welcome.html

Amen to that my friend.

22. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

I still prefer to see the link between Los Angeles and San Bernardino first. Not to mention the extension from Cajon Pass, giving the opportunity to completely remake and improve the assets on the route to connect it to the Surfliner route. Could even add another yard or two in the area as well as a huge yard along one of the routes I suggested, on the way to Ontario from, I think, Canton (though that route isn't the one that connects to the Surfliner, which goes south-southwestish towards San Diego from San Bernardino).

23. steammaster4449

Wh......
    I don't wanna sound mean or hateful or anything like that when I say this but, I hope you realize it is EXTREMELY rude to come onto another suggestion thread and basically say, "I wanna see my route suggestion make it into the game before yours does." I mean, that it is some next level disrespect, even if it ain't meant to be disrespectful. Even if one was to list reasons why their suggestion should come first, that's still coming across as them saying they want theirs first and they're just giving the reasons why they think that. That's just bad forum etiquette.
    Not cool dude.

24. steammaster4449

25. Cyclone

My apologies, I don't intend to be rude with my comment. And regardless of anything, let's be honest: the problems they have with Cajon being marked as US only and the problems they have getting licenses for Metrolink and such means we probably will not see ANY new DLC in this area anyway since, even for the small part I proposed, it falls right in between those two areas anyway. Looking back over the comment now, I did not even post my reasoning behind this idea, and see why you understandably took it rudely.

So let's ignore my prior route idea, and I'll be critical here.
    • Los Angeles to San Diego already exists.
    • San Francisco through San Jose, to Gilroy, also exists
    • Santa Barbara to Los Angeles alone is three hours. Their ideal scenario time is an hour and a half (per Matt on his channel in 2015 or 2016).
    • To produce scenarios, they would be limited to three train timetables per the proposal you linked. Easy from a creation standpoint, but there is limited variety until the line is constructed and we know daily operations anyway. Besides known passenger services, everything else is fictional, and Workshop use would be diminished as a result.
    • Your proposed route is literally about eight DLC in full:
    1. Ignoring San Francisco to San Jose because of the existing route through Gilroy, we start at San Jose, but I count San Francisco to San Jose as 1 full leg
    2. San Jose to Salinas (86 minutes)
    3. Salinas to Paso Robles (115 minutes)
    4. Paso Robles to Grover Beach (just to San Luis Obispo, with no stops in between, would be an 88 minute nap, extended to 108 minutes with Grover Beach as the second stop)
    5. Grover Beach to Santa Barbara (stretching to 137 minutes)
    6. Santa Barbara to Moorpark (84 minutes)
    7. Moorpark to Los Angeles (94 minutes)
    8. The existing Pacific Surfliner route can take over from here as the eighth leg
    It's possibly they could make the stretches a little longer and allow for two hours per DLC. My math above comes to 624 minutes of driving, or about 10 hours and 24 minutes, from San Jose only to Los Angeles. The route is not ever going to get created in full, and would be better done as a Workshop project if you can create station signs (Warwick Rail knows a thing about that, he does it with existing scenery pieces on his Workshop project). If any segment gets created, it would likely be the route from Los Angeles to Santa Barbara since the latter is also well-known and unvisited to date. I am simply being realistic when I say the full route is not going to happen.

That said. based on the above commentary, a link to the Cajon Pass, redeveloping that to not have anything that is a BNSF trademark, would be a better request since Cajon is literally being begged (by many) for a remake. Namely because the small portion to Fullerton also includes a new proposed station nearby, and a local line can finish the link to the existing Surfliner route, which can then be merged in the Workshop with the route to Los Angeles. This is only one additional DLC as an extension to Cajon, but to unbrand it, it can be combined into one package. Being one DLC, it has a better chance than eight (let's say maybe six) separate DLC. That's kind of what I was trying to go for here by comparison.

As I said, and I want to be clear, I'm not trying to bash your idea. I'm being realistic saying your suggestion is unlikely. Hopefully you can understand where I am coming from here. And hopefully, a Workshop project can start around your idea, because I would be curious to see it. Good luck!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  26. steammaster4449

I think there's been a slight misunderstanding, this is Buynot's thread, not mine, even if I have contributed a good bit to this thread. I was saying that it was disrespectful to him, not me. But moving along, I see where you're coming from, it would be a good bit of work and then driving if the entire Coast Line between LAUPT and Third and Townsend in the steam and transition eras was made as per my what-if suggestion.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  27. Cyclone

Whoops. I forgot who made the thread. But like I noted, I took the point and clarified why I made my comments. :)

28. steammaster4449

Lets take a look at the parlor-observation cars of the Coast Daylight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exterior views:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Interior views:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  29. steammaster4449

Here we see a look at the Espee's various steam locomotives.

Here we see GS-4 4444 idling on the head end of a Morning Daylight service at Third and Townsend terminal:
    [​IMG]

Here we see 4444's world-famous sister 4449 in 1984 on the World's Fair Daylight:
    [​IMG]

Here we see either another GS-4 or one of the two GS-5's hauling a Coast Daylight service:
    [​IMG]

Here we see 4444 once again on the head of another Daylight service:
    [​IMG]

And here we see GS-5 4458 hauling a Daylight service:
    GS-5 On a Daylight Service.jpg

Here we see an A-B-A set of E units on either a 1955 or post 1955 Coast Daylight:
    [​IMG]

And that's it for this post.

Edit: Changed the wording of some of the photograph captions.

• Like Like x 1
  30. steammaster4449

Well let's have a look at the parlor cars that were in the consist of a Coast Daylight with their vestibules always situated right in front of the observation cars.

Exterior and diagram:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A look at the diaphragms of a parlor car and parlor-observation:
    [​IMG]

Man. To have taken a ride on a Coast Daylight. What an experience.

• Like Like x 1
  31. steammaster4449

Alright, lets continue looking at the cars of a typical Coast Daylight pre-dome cars and dieselization, running from the observation cars on up to the chair-baggage cars. Here we see the tavern cars that were always run with their bars on the engineer's side of the train and were ultimately replaced by the dome-lounges.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior views:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Man, these next two pictures scream vintage electronics, and I like it:

These were in an electrical locker at one end of the car and were there to control the electrical, heating, and air conditioning systems of the car.
    [​IMG]

These were in the regulator locker and were voltage regulators, circuit breakers, resistors, and coils.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  32. steammaster4449

Continuing on up the consist, we take a look at the single unit chair cars that were added when extra seating was necessary.

Exterior views and diagram:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior views:
    Facing the front:
    [​IMG]
    Facing the rear:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  33. steammaster4449

Continuing along the consist, we come to the oh-so-famous triple unit diner, that was sadly replaced with those Automat cars once the downturn in passenger business occurred.

Exterior view and diagram:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we see the forward part of the car, the Coffee Shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A look at the left side of a 1939 Coffee Shop:
    [​IMG]

And a look at the right side of a 1941 Coffee Shop:
    [​IMG]

And here we see the diaphragm/dummy end of a Coffee Shop:
    [​IMG]
    Oh I do like me some good ol' fashioned steam heating and cooling.

Interior views:
    Here we're at the front of a 1939 Coffee Shop looking forwards. Note the square carpet pattern:
    [​IMG]

And now we're at the front of a 1941 Coffee Shop looking rearwards. Note the fern pattern of the carpet:
    [​IMG]
    The only difference between the interiors of the Coffee Shop and the Diner sections was the Diner wasn't divided like the Coffee Shops were due to the Tricolators and the fixture opposite the Tricolators that had a water tap and drinking glasses.
    Speaking of the culprits, let's look at 'em:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here we see the articulation point between the Coffee Shop and Kitchen sections. Of note is how it hardly looks like two different sections. The Espee had all their articulated cars designed this way:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And now we take a look at the middle kitchen section:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Looking at the diagram, one notices two pantries in the kitchen section. One pantry served the Diner section, the other the Coffee Shop section.

Here we see the left/kitchen side of a 1939 kitchen section. Note the door to aid in loading of supplies:
    [​IMG]

And here's the right/passageway side of a 1941 kitchen section:
    [​IMG]

Of note with the Espee's articulated cars is that the passageways between the sections were initially 100% weather proof thanks to having the rubber on the exterior that covered the actual passage ways between the sections of the articulated cars.

Interior views:
    In the kitchen looking towards the pantry for the Dining section:
    [​IMG]

In the kitchen looking towards the pantry for the Coffee Shop section:
    [​IMG]

(Continued in another post because apparently there's a limit of 20 photos per post.)

• Like Like x 2
  34. steammaster4449

Continuing along, we come to the Dining section:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A view of the left side of a 1939 Dining section:
    [​IMG]

A look at the right side of a 1941 Dining section:
    [​IMG]

A view of the outer diaphragm and truck between the kitchen and Dining sections:
    [​IMG]

Interior views:
    A look at the articulation point between the kitchen and dining section. Note how it hardly seems like it's two different sections, same as the articulation point between the Coffee Shop and Kitchen sections:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A look at the main part of a 1939 Dining section:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A look at the main section of a 1941 Dining section. Notice the differences between the two:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  35. Blacknred81

I wonder if any of the Daylights Triple Diner units still exist, I have found at least 2 of the Cascade Club ones that were used between Oakland and Portland, but those have a different layout from the Daylight diners.

36. steammaster4449

Moving oh so closer to the locomotive, we have the articulated chair cars which would be put on both ends of the triple-unit-diners, and that had their restrooms closest to their articulation points, and were classified accordingly:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Preservation look as seen on the Niles Canyon Railroad. Notice how the original trucks on the ends have been swapped for more standard trucks that you'll see on Amtrak certified private cars here in the 21st century:
    [​IMG]

Here we see the front section that held the women's restroom, and was classified as ACW:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior views:
    Here we see the interior of a 1939 ACW looking towards the articulation point:
    [​IMG]

And here we see the interior of a 1941 ACW looking towards the front of the car. Notice how the chairs have been rotated 180 degrees for the photographer, as well as the different floor pattern:
    [​IMG]

And here we take an exterior look at the joint between an ACW section and an ACM section:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Preservation look, as seen on the same one that's preserved on the Niles Canyon Railroad. Notice how the original truck is still in place and has oil bath roller bearings in place of the original plain bearings. The Southern Pacific was slow to adopt roller bearings, but once the GS-5's came on the scene, I think it's safe to say the Espee was sold on 'em:

[​IMG]

And now we take a look at the ACM section:

Exterior view and diagram:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interior views:
    Here we see the interior of a 1939 ACM section looking towards the rear:
    [​IMG]
    And here we see two views of a 1941 ACM section with the first looking towards the rear, then the second looking towards the front:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sadly there weren't any Coast Daylight triple-unit diners saved. Those 2 you found are the only triple-unit diners left. The 5 other remaining articulated cars from the SP are just chair cars, with the one at Niles Canyon being the only I know of to still be in a Southern Pacific livery. All the others are either in dinner train service or the like or are waiting to be sold, I THINK, I could very well be wrong with that, and I reserve the right to be wrong about it. The triple-unit diner currently at Niles Canyon WAS gonna be used on the American Freedom Train, more on that here, but that plan never came to fruition, and it's been waiting for a restoration or rebuild ever since. Niles Canyon have a page on it, so that's worth a small look-see. Apparently, the AFT folks basically gutted the thing, prepared it for HEP, realized the car would present troubles when getting into restrictive display sites, and left it at that. They were even gonna cut it some more and put an open platform on it. Man I'm glad they didn't. It might've went the way of the majority of the AFT's display cars and met a torch in the 90's if they had. I shudder to dwell on that line of thinking.

• Like Like x 1
  37. steammaster4449

Okay. Here we are. Almost to the motive power of a Coast Daylight. Well, here we take a look at the head end chair-baggage cars that were always put between the motive power and the first articulated chair car.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Coast Daylight even had a radio and public address system on it, and here we see the antennas for the radio:
    [​IMG]

Interior views:
    Baggage section looking forwards then towards the rear:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chair section:
    Even the news agent had a spot.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  38. steammaster4449

If anybody wants the link to the website I got all those pictures of and information on the consist from, here's the link:
    https://spdaylight.net/Consist.html
    I'm gonna be honest with y'all though, that entire website overall is a good resource on the Coast Daylight.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. Blacknred81

Grapevine Texas, I think, #10277-10278-10279, The Grapevine Vintage Railroad currently owns it and has it parked near their station, as least based on this 2019 Google Maps image. Credit: https://donsdepot.donrossgroup.net/dr2773.htm for the info.
    aaaaaa.png

Could of also been the same car that was for sale thru the Ozark Mountain Railcar, who did a walkthrough of it in 2011.

• Like Like x 1
  40. steammaster4449

It most likely was. The one at Niles Canyon was sold to the PLA in '05. I'm surprised the Grapevine hasn't done anything with it yet. It'd be a money maker if they started a dinner train service with it.

And I wasn't thinking when I said
    I'd actually done some reading on a forum and actually found out about the Grapevine and that they had that triple-unit diner, so my apologies for the absent-mindedness.

41. steammaster4449

So that I don't spend a whole day making posts about the motive power of the Coast Daylight, here's a link to a page that does the talking for me:
    https://spdaylight.net/Engines.html
    And have some Wikipedia pages too:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_class_GS-2
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_class_GS-3
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_class_GS-4
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_class_GS-5

And obligatory 4449 plug here:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_4449

Here we have a slideshow of photographs of the various GS class locos that hauled Daylights, with the GS-6's making an appearance as well:

Here's the Wikipedia page on the GS-6 class:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Pacific_class_GS-6

• Like Like x 1
  42. Cyclone

You have clearly put lots of research into this. We'll have to see if DTG or a partner picks it up.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Alright, so seeing steammaster4449 single-handedly carry this thread has made me feel a bit guilty, so I've decided that I'll add on to the thread a little more myself by writing about the other forms of motive power that would commonly see use on the Coast Line.

Class P-8, 4-6-2
    While they were once the main form of motive power on all of SP's major passenger trains, by the 1940's Southern Pacific's fleet of 4-6-2's had been relegated to commuter train service out of San Francisco and LA. The P-8's were built by Baldwin in 1921 for use on the Overland Route between San Francisco and Ogden, Utah. They came equipped with 73 inch drivers, Walschaert Valve Gear, a maximum boiler pressure of 200 PSI and a tractive effort of about 43,000 lbs. As more powerful locomotives such as the MT's and GS's, and later diesels, came onto the SP roster, the P-8's were moved to commuter train service or the occasional mail and express service. The P-8's would stick it out to the bitter end of steam on the SP, with the last one being retired in 1958. Today, there are several examples of this class still preserved and some even had the opportunity to operate in excursion service such as 2472 and 2467.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It appears that some of them even got the Skyline casing treatment!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Class MT-4, 4-8-2
    (I've written about these locomotives before, so this section is just gonna be a slightly updated version of my previous proposal on this class)
    Built in the late 1920s in Southern Pacific's own shops, the MT-4 mountain type steam locomotives were designed as dual service locomotives, for use on SP's line between LA and El Paso, Texas. The locomotives would later be reassigned to various parts of California such as the Coast Line, the San Joaquin Valley, and parts of the Overland Route. These locomotives saw service on various fast freights, and mail and express trains in their later years of service. For a good portion of their time in active service, MT-4s could often be seen double-heading on the San Joaquin Daylight between Los Angeles and Bakersfield. It was because of this that several of these locomotives were painted into Daylight colors. It was also because of their use in passenger service that many MT-4s received the famed Skyline casing on their boilers. The locomotives were paired with Vanderbilt tenders for most of if not their entire service life. The locomotives were equipped with 73 inch drivers, Walschaert Valve Gear, a max boiler pressure of 210 PSI, and a tractive effort of about 57,500 lbs. As time went on, however, the MT-4s had been reduced to operating on commuter trains out of the bay area during the mid to late 1950s. By 1959, all of the MT-4s were cut up. A sad fate for these heavy haulers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Class S-10, 0-6-0
    This class of rugged little switchers was built in the late 1910's by Baldwin for use in yard service all across the SP system. Several locomotives of a similar type were built with the class, but assigned to the SP's subsidiary railroads, these were designated as S-51's. The S-10's were equipped with 51 inch drivers, Stephenson Valve Gear, a max boiler pressure of 175 PSI and a tractive effort of about 27,000 lbs. On the Coast Line, these switchers could be found bringing passenger cars back and fourth from LAUPT and the nearby yards. They could also be found moving larger locomotives in and out of the roundhouse as they prepare for the day's runs. Much like the P-8's, many of these switchers served right up until the end of steam on the SP, with the last one being retired in 1957. Thankfully several examples survive today and a few of them even operated in tourist train service, the most notable of which was locomotive #1233 which ran on the Yolo Valley Shortline back in the 90's.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  44. steammaster4449

T'ain't much, but it's honest. ;)
    But being serious, I couldn't help myself. I see a brilliant suggestion thread, I contribute. And if we do get a 1940's Coast Daylight in Train Sim, it'd certainly have to be done right, same with the Lark if it's added as a DLC or something, but I personally place more emphasis on getting the Daylight done right first.

• Like Like x 1
  45. steammaster4449

Well we got 4458, now lets have 4459 coming into what I'm guessing to be LAUPT past a Santa Fe F Unit.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  46. steammaster4449

Well I found an Amazon page on that book, offering paperback and hardback versions:
    https://www.amazon.com/Southern-Pac...60306141/ref=mt_other?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=
    So if you want to get a good book on the SP and it's history from the Central Pacific all the way to 09/11/96, I suggest taking a look.

47. steammaster4449

Huh. How ironic is it that a lil while after this post, I went and made a post with a video embedded in it that has film of a Lark arriving in Mojave in the morning with a Cab Forward coupled to the front of the streamlined GS loco after said Lark got detoured over the Valley Line.
    The shot of the aforementioned Lark is seen at the 3:37 mark.

48. steammaster4449

Well I found a video of some model Lark, Coast Daylight, and San Joaquin Daylight operations, so I thought I'd come post it here.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  49. steammaster4449

Well I appear to have found a website that talks about all seven of the SP's home built 3/4 length domes. Here's the link to it:
    http://www.trainweb.org/web_lurker/SPf/

If anybody's wondering if there are any of these combines still around, you may have missed this photo of the World's Fair Daylight:

[​IMG]

Yes, 4449's tool car for the World's Fair Daylight was indeed a former Coast Daylight combine car, sans it's original ribbing, like many other formerly ribbed SP passenger cars. And yes, unlike some of the former Shasta Daylight cars that were a part of the World's Fair Daylight, this one hasn't been scrapped.
    {Insert moment of silence here}
    From what I can tell, it's either had it's original diaphragm's/walkways cut away at/replaced, or flat out removed, as shown by the photos of it in 2018 on this page:
    http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/rspicture.aspx?id=1045141
    Well let's take a look at these photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It certainly needs a lot of work done to it to bring it back to it's original splendor, but I say if it's got good bones, it's doable, but even then, the preservation movement seems to be well adept at bringing anything back to it's original splendor, regardless of if the bones are good or not, or even in existence anymore. cough cough New builds. cough cough

Edit: Changed "...cut away at,..." to "...cut away at/replaced,..."
    Second edit: Added "Well let's take a look at these photos:" and the photographs.

• Like Like x 1
  50. steammaster4449

Picking up the theme in the second half of my previous post on this thread, for the curious out there, yes, there's one of these single unit chair cars still around nowadays. It's in Amtrak Phase 1 paint, has unoriginal trucks, and could use some hard work and T.L.C., but judging from how it looks, it appears to be in relatively good exterior condition. It's currently on display at the Kern County Museum in Bakersfield.
    Here, have the link to the page that the following photographs are on:
    https://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMJE6P_Southern_Pacific_Daylight_Car_2439
    And now, we move onto the photographs themselves:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit: Added "...has unoriginal trucks,..."
    Second edit: Changed "...Amtrak colors..." to "...Amtrak Phase 1 paint..." and did some rewording.

• Like Like x 1