The München Challenge

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Daytona, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

The München Challenge
    "In the previous challenge, Sam won both legs on the Bakerloo Line. The prize was to decide which route and train would be used for the next contest. He's opted for Hauptstrecke München - Augsburg in the DB BR 423 with sifa and PZB enabled. The objective? Complete the S3 08:22 München Ost service with the highest score possible."

Sam (Yonder Colonel) -
    12713 AP
    34:29
    2 PZB trips from ~40kph

Excellent stream and concept. Once you understand the basics, challenges against the route, timetable & locos teach you soo much.

Has anyone else tried it ?

• Like Like x 3
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

His first trigger was acknowledging a magnet (speed reduction to 60) too soon before he even went past it. This then put him in the restrictive monitoring and the second trip actually was going over 45.

3. joulz75

joulz75 Active Member

I just did :) with pzb and sifa of course.

It would be very cool to organize such competitions weekly or monthly and make ranking !

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

I did it together with Sam when he was streaming, was nice to "challenge" him life :) I scored 13.586, although some of the stopping markers should be moved to make more sense :) Let's see how the others of the team will do, I really hope someone else takes the cup this time :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

If Sam isn't the winner this time who do you think will claim the victory medal?
    (We are going to create a scoreboard so you can keep track of how we are all doing)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

I think Matt might pop him to the post this time.

7. Cramnor

Sorry DTG Natster but I think PZB is quite a challenge (especially when never used before), and Matt has the best chances purely because of this. :P But then, Sam managed with only 2 emergency brake applications, which I would never have imagined, so maybe there is a surprise just around the corner :)

• Like Like x 3
  8. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

My first attempt after about 2 months far from S3 services.
    0 Lzb/Pbz faults but about 3 mins of delay at the final stop (cause excess of prudency) :D
    Silver medal

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I guess this challenge is deep within Matt's territory, so he's most likely to win. That being said with some training, a couple of tricks and especially getting the braking absolutely spot on you can beat him!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

The person who diligently works out the minimum braking distance to stop at the exact spot and comply with speed reductions ;) ...which will vary with the gradient. So for a fair comparison, really need to note the time people have spent experimenting on the 423 and the route.

These challenges are an interesting way to find issues with the achievement points calculations. For a start, the brutal acceleration and deceleration required should be penalised with reference to the g-force (ie passenger comfort). Perhaps it can all be crystallised within the timetable time - too early being penalised just as much as too late?

11. Cramnor

While I agree that the system should be overhauled, by no way should it go towards a system like in TS, that just absolutely ruins it. While I am one that plays it more like a simulation than a game and don't care too much about the points, remembering the old days from TS it was so frustrating with how the system penalized. But this should be seperate discussion and does not belong here :)

• Like Like x 2
  12. DTG Natster

My money is also on Matt to win this time.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Alex_m30x#7297

Alex_m30x#7297 Well-Known Member

not trusting your self?, why im sure last thursday wont happen again cough over shoot :P

14. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Don't give it to him that easily :D You're a community manager, the community is here to help. :D

15. DTG Natster

I won't be giving up without a fight, I can assure you of that.

• Like Like x 8
  16. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

+1 for Matt if he sticks to the timetable! But, my money was on Matt last time, so we could end up with a surprise victory for Sam again.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  17. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

Braking point is everything on this run. My rookie experience with PZB held me back, but I still lost around 2 minutes in braking earlier than needed. Based on the community scores I've seen there's 2,000 or more points up for grabs simply by being closer to the schedule.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Theoretically if you want to win dirty, take a look in the setting, there should be a key bind for "straight to emergency brake". You could then test how long it takes from which speed and with the exact distance left to the marker go from full track speed to precise stop. It's set for clear spring, so you shouldn't slip, there's no penalty for that and it would be absolutely the fastest way to stop.

19. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

3rd attempt slightly better. But still 1 mins of delay. A trick, dont start to braking before the 700~600 meters from the stop.
    Train Sim World 2® 2021-02-09 13-24-02.png Train Sim World 2® 2021-02-09 13-24-17.png

I can do better ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I had a go at this today and managed 13,796. I kept to the timetable but a couple of minor overshoots will have knocked the score a little.

I always enjoy TSW, but having a target score added an extra element in. Seeing how long you dare hold out to keep to the timetable with the dreadful brakes on the 423 is a bit nerve racking!

I look forward to more of these in the future :)

My attempt: click me

Screenshot_20210209-182924~2.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  21. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

This is fun. With two attempts, I peaked out here:
    HMA Challenge.jpg
    I really admire the crew going live online and attempting this challenging drive, all while dealing with the chat.

• Like Like x 2
  22. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

To increase the experience I suggest to remove all the track assist/markers from the next challenge.
    Note: And also the HUD, if only DTG give us the Command Promp on screen and the Pointer in the middle of the screen (for people that play with the Joypad but like to remove the HUD).

• Like Like x 2
  23. ghall59

ghall59 Active Member

I attempted this run with raildriver and the signal display/distance removed from the top right corner. PZB & SIFA enabled of course...
    Scored 12,768

Graham

• Like Like x 1
  24. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It's a combination of experience and talent I guess. I have seen Dutch train drives making a complete mess from a stop, but for years when I was travelling every day I usually could predict the position of the train doors at 2 meter accuracy. Which is very helpful if you want to conquer a seat.

25. stijn.claessens

stijn.claessens Well-Known Member

Is Sam banned from annoying Matt in the chat while he does his run?

• Like Like x 2