The Missing Link: Köln - Wuppertal (ice 2 And National Express Talent 2)

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by jolojonasgames, Feb 20, 2021.

?
  1. Yes

241 vote(s)
    90.3%
  2. Maybe, if it's on sale

21 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. No

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Contents:
    • The Route
      • General description
      • Cab views
      • Possible (and recommended) branches/diversion lines
    • Services
    • Rolling Stock
      • What comes with the route?
        • ICE 2
        • National Express Talent 2
      • DLC
        • ICE 4
        • IC 2
        • BR 110 + n-Wagen
      • Layers
    • How to connect this route to RRO(-RSN) and SKA?
    • Conclusion
    • Pictures
    • Edits
    [​IMG]
    Credit: Rolf Heinrich, Köln, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=45789956
    The route
    [​IMG]
    Route map including the Güterumgehungsbahn Köln

General description
    I'm proposing a route from Köln-Ehrenfeld via Köln Hbf and Wuppertal Hbf to Wuppertal Oberbarmen (with Rhein-Wupper-Bahn, RWB, making a good DLC name). This route will run along Köln Messe/Deutz, Opladen, and Solingen Hbf (and many more smaller stations along the line). The line also features the Hohenzollernbücke that currently is non-driveable scenery on SKA, and the Südbrücke if the Güterumgehungsbahn is included (which I reccomend). The maximum speed is 160 km/h, and the route does not have LZB, thus requiring a bit more effort from the driver, which adds to the fun in my opinion. The line splits just after Köln-Mülheim, towards the lower (for trains not going via Köln Hbf) and upper (for trains going to Köln Hbf) platforms of Köln Messe/Deutz. I propose adding both the lower and upper platforms, as some of the services on this line use the lower platforms. The main freight yards are Köln-Kalk Nord and Wuppertal Steinbeck, these could be used for freight layers. The route is about 50 km long, though the spurs towards the lower platforms of Köln Messe/Deutz and Köln-Kalk Nord extend this a little, to a total of about 58,5 km, making the length ideal for TSW. The line is very busy and classified as a mainline (Hauptstrecke), and is therefore quite busy, with enough to look at. I'll go into connecting the route to others later in my suggestion, as this would allow freight services all the way from Finnentrop to Aachen and Longer ICE/IC/RE services. The connection of SKA-RWB-RRO-RSN would be a first for TSW, and it just requires this route. That would also make this route attractive to buyers, for many it will be a missing link in their collection. For those that don't have all of the surrounding routes the route will still ofer a vareid timetable, new liveries from National Express, which is a nice break from the endless traffic red of the DB, and great an iconic scenery with the Hohenzollernbrücke (and Südbrücke). A few images of the route and it's stations are included at the end of the suggestion.
    Like the Schwebebahn is added as unique scenery in RRO, it should be added here too. The Kölner Stadtbahn could be added in a similar fashion, it would add something extra and unique to the route.

Cab views

Cab view from Wuppertal-Oberbarmen to Köln Hbf on RB48 - by German Express Driver
    Cab view from Köln Hbf to Wuppertal-Oberbarmen (and on to Hagen) - by German Express Driver
    Cab view from (Schwerte to) Wuppertal-Oberbarmen to Köln Hbf (and on to Krefeld) - by German Express Driver
    Cab view from Köln-Ehrenfeld to Opladen - by Ananas 747

[​IMG]
    Köln-Kalk Nord, this freight yard will allow for freight layers, line diverges towards the north entrance of Köln-Kalk nord at Köln-Mülheim. From the south end of the Yard, the Güterumgehungsbahn starts.

Possible (and recommended) branches/diversion lines

The line also has a few short branches and diversion lines, I've listed the Güterumgehungsbahn Köln and S7 line below. I recommend adding the Güterumgehungsbahn and not S7.

For freight, it could be possible to also include the 'Güterumgehungsbahn Köln' (Cologne Freight Bypass) that runs from the south end of Köln-Kalk Nord to Köln-Ehrenfeld, where freight trains currentely stop on SKA. I really reccomend that this section comes with RWB, as it allows for realistic freight services in the Köln area. The maximum speed for this section is 60km/h, allowing you to calmly take in the scenery of Köln. Sometimes diversionary passenger services also use it. It adds another 10 km to the line length which brings the total to 68,5 km, which is still more then realistic for TSW. This line is essential in allowing realistic freight services from Aachen to Wupperal and beyond in a realistic way, considering the not too long route length I would therefore add this bypass. This exstension would also allow RB 48 2 extra stations (Köln-West and Köln-Süd), as shown in the map above. If they just add Köln-Kalk Nord, I'd suggest letting freight services run through Köln Hbf, even though this isn't that realistic.

There is also the possibility of including the S7 route from Solingen Hbf to Wuppertal Hbf, but this would require completely new rolling stock and a considerable extension (nearly 40 km) to the route, so I left it out. It would however be a good option for route extensions if DTG ever wants to do them.

[​IMG]
    Güterumgehungsbahn Köln, a diversion to relieve the very busy Köln Hbf

[​IMG]
    A DB BR 151 (not included in this suggestion) crossing the Köln Südbrücke, the bridge on which the Güterumgehungsbahn crosses the Rhine.

Services
    Below I've listed nearly all services on this route. The stops that are on this route proposal are bold. For the ICE/IC/RE services I have also noted the stops on RRO. Note that the S-Bahn services are relatively short, they would only offer a player a few minutes of playtime, but they are essential in making the areas around Köln and Wuppertal feel as alive as they do in real life. In italic I've listed the last and first stops not on the route, so you know where the line diverges.

ICE 10/31/42/43/91
    (From Dortmund) - Hagen - Wuppertal Hbf - Solingen Hbf (not all services) - Köln Messe/Deutz (not all services) - Köln Hbf - (Onwards in various directions)
    ICE 10 runs every 60 min, the rest of the lines all run a few times a day, the ICE 2 services only stop at Solingen Hbf at night.
    Rolling Stock: DB ICE 2, DB (7-part) ICE 4, ICE 3, (ICE 1 substituted by 2x ICE 2)

IC 31/55
    (from Dortmund) - Hagen - Wuppertal Hbf - Solingen Hbf - Köln Messe/Deutz (not all services) - Köln Hbf - (IC 31 continues in the direction of Bonn)
    Both IC 31 and IC 55 each run every 120 min.
    Rolling Stock: DB BR 101 (IC 31), IC 2 (IC 55)
    PDF with German IC lines (in German)

RE 7: Rhein-Münsterland-Express
    (From Schwerte (Ruhr) - Hagen Hbf – Ennepetal (Gevelsberg) – Schwelm Wuppertal-Oberbarmen – Wuppertal Hbf – Solingen Hbf - Opladen – Köln Messe/Deutz – Köln Hbf - (onwards in the direction of Dormagen)
    Every 60 min.
    Rolling Stock: National Express Talent 2, BR 110 + n-Wagen, MRCE BR 182 + n-Wagen.

RB 48: Rhein-Wupper-Bahn
    Wuppertal-Oberbarmen – Wuppertal-Barmen – Wuppertal Hbf – Wuppertal-Vohwinkel – Haan-Gruiten – Haan – Solingen Hbf - Leichlingen – Opladen – Leverkusen-Schlebusch – Köln-Mülheim – Köln Messe/Deutz – Köln Hbf - Köln-West - Köln-Süd - (onwards in the direction of Hürth-Kalscheuren)
    Every 30 min.
    Rolling Stock: National Express Talent 2, BR 110 + n-Wagen, MRCE BR 182 + n-Wagen.

S8 (Rhein-Ruhr)
    (from Wuppertal-Langerfeld) - Wuppertal-Oberbarmen – Wuppertal-Barmen – Wuppertal-Unterbarmen – Wuppertal Hbf – Wuppertal-Steinbeck – Wuppertal-Zoologischer Garten – Wuppertal-Sonnborn – Wuppertal-Vohwinkel – Haan-Gruiten - (onwards to Hochdal-Millrath)
    Every 20 min.
    Rolling stock: BR 422

S9 (Rhein-Ruhr)
    (from Wuppertal-Langerfeld) - Wuppertal-Oberbarmen – Wuppertal-Barmen – Wuppertal-Unterbarmen – Wuppertal Hbf – Wuppertal-Steinbeck – Wuppertal-Zoologischer Garten – Wuppertal-Sonnborn – Wuppertal-Vohwinkel - (onwards to Wülfrath-Aprath)
    Every 30 min.*
    Rolling stock: BR 422
    *Only every 30 min. between Wuppertal Hbf and Wuppertal-Vohlwinkel, every 60 min. between Wuppertal-Oberbarmen and Wuppertal Hbf

S6 (Köln)
    (from Köln-Stammheim) - Köln-Mülheim – Köln-Buchforst – Köln-Messe/Deutz – Köln Hbf – Köln-Hansaring - (onwards to Köln-Nippes)
    Every 20 min.
    Rolling stock: BR 422/BR 423

S11 (Köln)
    (from Köln-Holweide) - Köln-Mülheim – Köln-Buchforst – Köln-Messe/Deutz – Köln Hbf – Köln-Hansaring - (onwards to Köln-Nippes)
    Every 20 min.
    Rolling stock: BR 422/BR 423 (see layers for more info)

S12 (Köln)
    (from Köln-Müngersdorf Technologiepark) - Köln-Ehrenfeld – Köln Hansaring – Köln Messe/Deutz – Köln Trimbornstraße - (onwards in the direction of Köln Airport Businesspark)
    Every 20 min.
    Rolling stock: BR 420/ BR 422/BR 423 (see layers for more info)

S19 (Köln)
    (from Köln-Müngersdorf Technologiepark) - Köln-Ehrenfeld – Köln Hansaring – Köln Messe/Deutz – Köln Trimbornstraße - (onwards in the direction of Köln Frankfurter Straße)
    Every 20 min.
    Rolling stock: BR 422/BR 423 (see layers for more info)

Rolling Stock

What comes with the route?
    First I'll talk about two trains that should come with the route as standard.

DB BR 402 'ICE 2'
    [​IMG]
    The ICE 2 is the second generation of InterCityExpress trains from DB. It consists of a power car at one end and a driving trailer on the other, and has a top speed of 280 km/h. The ICE 2 has been in service since 1996. The ICE 2 can be seen al throughout Germany, and would provide layers for RRO, HRR, HMA, SKA and other future routes. More info on Wikipedia

National Express Talent 2
    [​IMG]

The Talent 2 is already known to many players of the game as it comes standard with SKA, in DB livery. The National Express Talent 2 sets consist of 3- and 5-car sets and usually operate with two coupled sets (either 5+3 or 5+5). I'd suggest adding the 5-car sets, as these make up the largest portion of the National Express fleet on this route, but 3-car sets would be just as fun. They would also layer onto RRO, offering a little more variety in paint schemes there too. More info on Wikipedia

DLC

I'll now talk about a few trains that could be DLC to this route (and of course layer onto other routes).

DB BR 412 'ICE 4' (7-part)
    [​IMG]

A large part of the ICE services on this route are also run by the 7-car ICE 4 sets of the DB. They are the newest addition the the ICE fleet and have a top speed of 250 km/h. Like the ICE 3 already in game, the driving bogies are distributed throughout the train. They can be seen on long distance services all throughout Germany, and would therefore provide layers on many other existing (RRO, HRR, HMA) and future German routes. More info on Wikipedia

DB IC2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The locomotive-hauled IC 2 sets run on IC55 along this route. The trains consist of 5 double deck InterCity coaches (with driving trailer) pushed or pulled by a DB BR 146 or 147 locomotive. They have a max speed of 160 km/h. Nowadays the can be seen on more and more IC services (like IC55). This means they could also layer onto other existing (RRO and HRR) and future routes. More info on Wikipedia

National Express BR 110 + n-Wagen
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

National Express temporarily used n-Wagen (silberling) coaches with a ex-DB BR 110 in push/pull configuration. It can also be seen a lot in the cabviews I've linked, and would therefore be a good fit for this route. It could also layer on RRO. They could even be usefull for scenarios on other routes as they are also used as replacement trains in other parts of germany, I believe that is because they are owned by a leasing company that also leases them out to other clients. I think that adding this DLC would be a nice way of incorporating classic rolling stock into a modern route, I actually think the livery suits both the loco and coaches quite well (better than traffic red at least). Like the Talent 2 which operates the same services, this will layer onto RRO. The n-Wagen can also be hauled by the MRCE BR 182 from Hamburg - Lübeck on replacement services, see 'layers' for more.
    More info on Wikipedia (BR 110)
    More info on Wikipedia (n-Wagen)

There is enough room to add a freight loco DLC (such as the DB BR 151 or BR 189) if the Güterumgehungsbahn is included, but with layering, it won't be neccesary. Shunting services with a DB BR 290/291 (or other V90s). There is also the option of adding the ICE-T and ICE 1, which runs on multiple ICE services, but I would suggest substituting these respectively with one or with two coupled ICE 2 sets (unless/untill they get added as DLC for a different route). In addition to all that locos like the BR 120 (my favourite) could suit this route, there is truly a lot of variety!

Layers
    The route would be a good fit for many additional layers, some of which are already in game, others already announced. As these trains are already in game, or coming I'll not go into much detail.

[​IMG]
    An MRCE BR 182, this one will come with Hamburg - Lübeck. If you own this loco, this route, and the BR 110 + n-wagen, you will be able to play this loco on RE and RB services aswell.

Passenger:
    • ICE 3 (BR 403): on various ICE routes, as substitution (it runs on RWB and RRO just a few times a day in real life)
    • BR 101: on IC31
    • BR 182 (DB, and maybe MRCE): hauling IC coaches in IC31 as substition for the 101, only if you choose it, it will not show up on AI trains. The MRCE BR 182 can also substitute for the BR 110 with n-Wagen on RB 48 and RE 7, this too will only be seen if you choose to play it, it won't show up on AI trains.
    • BR 422/420/(maybe 423**): S-bahn services, like the 422 already does on SKA and RRO. The BR 420 coming for HMA can also be seen on S12 frequently. This would add even more variety to the route.

**The BR 423 used around Köln has a few differences from the one on HMA if I recall correctly, so I'm not quite sure if it would be fitting here.

Freight:

• BR 143/155/182 (DB and MRCE)/185 (DB and MRCE)/187/(maybe 232): all the German freight locomotives can run freight services along the route, there are multiple freight yards in Köln and Wuppertal for this.
    • BR 363/(maybe 204)/(maybe Vossloh G6): maybe some shunting work in the freight yards, and the passenger rolling stock yard at Köln Hbf and Köln Messe/Deutz. I think this would add more value to the BR 363 DLC, as it only has services on RSN at the moment.
    How to connect this route to RRO(-RSN) and SKA?
    A lot of the services on this route continue on RRO, adding some more ICE/IC/RE/RB services to this route, and it would allow freight services all the way from Aachen to Hagen. But how will these continue on? I'm not suggesting adding these routes into one big route, as it might be technically impossible, and it would not make economic sense for Dovetail to add DLC to DLC. Therefore I'd suggest "simply" adding a pop up at the end of the route, that asks 'would you like to continue this service on the next route?'. For example, when you drive an ICE from Hagen to Wuppertal, and you stop at Wuppertal Hbf, a pop up pops into screen once you have loaded passengers in Wuppertal. 'would you like to continue this service on Köln-Wuppertal'. If you then click no you simply continue to the usual menu. If you click yes, Köln Wuppertal loads in, with the same service. In effect, it's just a shortcut, that makes it so that you can skip going back to the menu, selecting a different route and finding the same service. This means that you may have to set some things like destination, AFB/PZB/LZB/SIFA, and lights again, but would be simpler then joining posibilly incompatible routes togheter. I think this would be the easiest way to allow longer services on these 4 connected routes without going through the process of actually joining them. Separate forum suggestion for this.

Conclusion:
    'Rhein-Wupper-Bahn: Köln-Wuppertal' is a very busy, varied and fun route. I hope you like the suggestion. As I'm from the Netherlands I had to translate some sources, I might have made a few mistakes, please let me know. I also would like more information on which trains run wich S-bahn service. If you have any suggestions for this route, please let me know. If you liked this suggestion, consider taking a look at my other suggestion: Enschede - Amersfoort CS in the Netherlands

Pictures:
    I haven't added pictures of Köln Hbf and Wuppertal Hbf or other stations that we already have in game.

[​IMG]
    A National Express Talent 2 crosses a small viaduct, just south of Solingen Hbf

[​IMG]
    Südbrücke Köln at night

[​IMG]
    Hohenzollernbrücke Köln

[​IMG]
    Köln Messe/Deutz

[​IMG]
    Haan-Gruiten Bahnof, the tracks to Köln diverge to the left
    [​IMG]
    A National Express BR 110 with n-Wagen at Köln Messe/Deutz

Edits:
    21-2-2021: Added more detail about Köln-Kalk Nord, and the possibility of the Güterumgehungsbahn Köln aswell as corrections, route lengths, additional images and details.

25-2-2021: Added the S-bahn services to the Services section of the suggestion and a new map of the whole route including the Güterumgehungsbahn.

Also added some cab views.

27-2-2021: Added information about which routes the trains (included and DLC) from this suggestion could layer on. Also added some more info, with questions because I lack some info, on the rolling stock for the Köln S-bahn services. Also added a "contents" section at the beginning, because the suggestion is getting a bit long :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 133
  2. jiroo92

jiroo92 Member

Very good suggestion and detailed information. :love:

• Like Like x 5
  3. jolojonasgames

Great to hear, I hope the detail is still easy enough to understand. I try to give a good image of what a route can offer when it comes to frequency and diversity of services!

Last edited: Feb 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I‘ve got to say, I wasn‘t really interested, but then this came up. I‘m pretty much willing to back anything that‘ll get us old DB locos :love:

• Like Like x 5
  5. jolojonasgames

Yeah, I was looking into this route, and it immediately caught my eye, I really like the old locos too and found this a nice way of putting it into a modern route.

• Like Like x 2
  6. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

Yes this route would be great because I go there very often, when I drive from cologne to Hagen to my university

• Like Like x 1
  7. jolojonasgames

How are the scenics? :)

8. creeperblox2710

creeperblox2710 Well-Known Member

What a lovely suggestion of this Railway, i really hope to have this become real, i would love to drive the BR 9442 (NX Talent 2) through my home town

• Like Like x 2
  9. creeperblox2710

Oh and i forgot, the ICE 2 only stops at Night in Solingen Hbf, during the day the ICE 2 passes Solingen Hbf, The ICE 1 stops most of time at Solingen Hbf

• Like Like x 1
  10. creeperblox2710

My bad, i just saw that the ICE services said Not all of them

11. jolojonasgames

Thanks, I'll specify that in my post, I couldn't find more detail!

• Like Like x 1
  12. jolojonasgames

I changed the suggestion a bit. It now clearly contains Köln-Kalk Nord, and the possibility of the Güterumgehungsbahn, which I think should come, as nearly all freight services that would continue on to Aachen use it.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Higgybaby90

Higgybaby90 Active Member

Wonderful suggestion.
    This line would really be a good choice (especially if DTG ever makes it possible to merge routes to a network).

But one thing:
    Since train companies other than Deutsche Bahn are pretty unlikely in TSW, I would suggest instead of the NEX Talent 2 for RE7 and RB 48, maybe use a BR 112 with Dostos for the RE7 and/or the Br 425 for RB 48 (as these units have been used last before NX took over). Since both trains already exist (BR 112 in the closer future) DTG could reuse both (which would make things even easier for DTG).

• Like Like x 1
  14. Task

Task Well-Known Member

Awesome suggestion. I Would love to have that route.
    One thing though: Please no 182 on the ICs, that may have happened from time to time but it is really far away from being regular.

• Like Like x 1
  15. jolojonasgames

I think you should be able to use the 182 on IC services if you want, but it shouldn't show up otherwise, it does that with freight services now too.

16. jolojonasgames

I thought about that too. If they decide to do that the route should probably come standard with a freight loco instead, and have these as layers.

17. drnicktgm#1259

Hopefully this would get addet to the Road Map next, but I would also like to see Cologne-Duisburg

• Like Like x 2
  18. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Dude that's an impressive bit of info! Wish my suggestion had the same amount! :D

• Like Like x 2
  19. drnicktgm#1259

But how will we know if DTG also thinks that it is a good idea to add this route to TSW2?

20. jolojonasgames

Wait and see if it ever pops up in a roadmap, that's all we can do for now. Though popular suggestions have a higher chance of being developed, because it shows that there are a lot of players willing to pay money for it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Anything that includes Solingen HBF will get my support :D

• Like Like x 2
  22. jolojonasgames

I added the S-bahn services around Köln and Wuppertal. They are quite short for players, and serve mainly as AI trains to offer more variety in the areas they drive. If you only have 15 min., these services would still be fun to play though. I also added a map of the whole route including the Güterumgehungsbahn.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  23. creeperblox2710

S11, S12 and S19 arent part of S-Bahn Rhein-Ruhr, They're part of the S-Bahn Köln, just saying

• Like Like x 2
  24. jolojonasgames

My bad, I already put the s-bahn systems behin the lines because I suspected it, just couldn't find anything about it. Will add the correct information, thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  25. jolojonasgames

I added some cab views. How did I even forget to add those to begin with? They're high quality, and one of them also shows RRO, so enjoy!

26. mclitke

I wonder if they have considered doing aa sort of portal transfer from one route to the next where they load up the next map with the time adequate services. Sure, this is most likely still very hard to do, but appears way more managable than actually fusing several routes. Personally, that would already do the trick for me. And if the run would be too long for you you could just end the session. But that would offer options for longer consecutive high speed services.
    Plus the classic ICE is just awesome. I sort of don't even doubt that we will see it in the game sooner or later at this point.

• Like Like x 1
  27. jolojonasgames

That is indeed a slightly more streamlined version of my proposal, with mine requiring one or two more button clicks, but offering easier options for ending the service. I think it is indeed still not 'easy' to do, but a lot more doable then merging routes, that might even have to partially be rebuilt for this.

28. mclitke

You know this is a bit selfish since I am from Solingen and would love to visit my hometown ingame, but adding a route via Solingen offers even more options. Apart fro mconnecting Wuppertal an Köln, you could then also explore the S1 route that is missing between Solingen and Duisburg from HRR. And if you then went on from Bochum to Hagen, you would end up with an actual huge network of routes. Looking at it that way, we are not even that far off from that.

29. jolojonasgames

This route is an important step in that direction, we would only need one more route like the one you're proposing to join SKA-RWB-RRO-RSN to HRR. This would give us a unique route network, with hours and hours of varied gameplay (and I might make a proposal for such a route soon). I understand that some think that would be a bit too much Ruhr area routes, but we're close to it anyway, so why not? I'm not from the area myself, and it interests me, so it probably interests a lot of people.

Oh btw, I use RWB for this route as Rhein-Wupper-Bahn would make a good DLC name.

• Like Like x 2
  30. drnicktgm#1259

Yeah that's true, it would be great if DTG would start expending routes with new dlcs, that there are more routes around Nordrhein-Westfalen Bayern and co. they could make a plan like every 2nd German dlc will be a route for Nordrhein-Westfalen that kind of expends the route without adding more kilometres to the existing dlc but I mean that they make an dlc where players can continue driving next like you said, but I live in the Nordrhein-Westfalen area so I would like to have more routes to drive all around NRW, and many in the future consoles or computers will be so good or DTG will find out a mechanic to make Germany as a complete area where we can drive, people can choose where they want to by train line or maybe also add the option to make an own train line. There is so much to do and if DTG gets even bigger with employees than there will be new dlcs very fast

• Like Like x 1
  31. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Another nice thing about this route- it goes over the Hohenzollernbrucke, which right now is just ornamental.

• Like Like x 3
  32. jolojonasgames

And the Südbrücke too, which I think is just as pretty, because it still has its ornamental towers.

• Like Like x 2
  33. johnjohn190690

johnjohn190690 Active Member

I do enjoy reading detailed suggestions I'm 100% ready for this route to come and not sure when it will tbh but I'm hoping we won't have to wait too long for it. It fits perfect into a typical TSW2 route not many kilometres varied stock with freight express and stopping services it's got a bit of everything.

• Like Like x 1
  34. jolojonasgames

Thanks to a kind redditor, I can now say for sure that the BR 420 operates the S12 service around Köln frequently. It can thus provide an extra layer around Köln for the people that will buy it when it comes out for HMA. It doesn't have many stops though, but could provide a more valuable layer on SKA.

35. mclitke

Or at least, if DTG were to do extra effort with a third party loco, add them as ai services to make the section more busy.

• Like Like x 1
  36. jolojonasgames

They drive full services on SKA, so they should have normal playable services there in my opinion. On this route they operate only a few stops, so both playable services or AI only services would be fine, but i think some people would appreciate driving their BR 420 across the Hohenzollernbrücke, even if the service was just 10/15 min.

37. mclitke

I know I certainly would! ;)

38. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

This would be absolutely great and if its ever going to happen with the SKA; RRO and RSN Merge i'm looking forward to drive a 4 hour (freight, because there are no passenger runs along the entire Route) service from Aachen to Finnentrop (of course only if the 185 Sound is fixed by then)
    Also we wold have a complete RB 48 service (of those terminating at Cologne), although ~50% of the services are extended to Bonn Beuel.

I think it would be the best Route for a new DLC, especially with the merges.

• Like Like x 2
  39. mclitke

And we acknowledged that a full merge might be an undertaking too huge, and thus offered a compromise that would load up the next corresponding service on the next route section via loading screen. This will surely be easier to implement. Route B would only have to read which service you were playing before and load up the corresponding service of the timetable. Maybe you would have to start up the Loco as usual but it would still feel like on the same journey imo.
    Plus you would have more freedom deciding whether to do a 45 minutes, hour or 2 hour run, if you were simply asked in the end screen if you wanted to continue your journey on RRO with this service or if you wanted to go back to the menu.

• Like Like x 2
  40. creeperblox2710

The thing is that for example when u drive the BR 9442 (Talent 2) all the way to Wuppertal Hbf and then you would go to RRO you would have the BR 422 as RRO is played in a diffrent Timeline than KWT (Köln-Wuppertal) would.

• Like Like x 2
  41. jolojonasgames

I think it's better to replace the current RE services on RRO with the Talent 2. RRO should get its timetable overhauled if this route comes.

It might be a bit anachronistic at places, but the same journey should be with the same train. As long as they drove on the route within a 5-10 year difference with the date the route is set in they should be on it in my opinion.

42. creeperblox2710

The BR 9442 started operating between 2014 and 2015 but i dont know which year RRO is at

43. jolojonasgames

From what I can tell, just before the changeover to National Express on the Regional services, when those were operated with DoSto coaches. But the rolling stock that operates the RE and RB services is the only notable difference as far as I know. If we would replace the RB/RE services on RRO with the NX talent 2 they would pretty much be set in the same era. You could also have both DB DoStos and NX Talent 2s run the service for the sake of variety, at the cost of complete accuracy.

44. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

I also think this is a good and most of all realistic idea, and it would also work on console i guess. The routes should definetly be merged, the way how this will be done is not the important thing, if it's generally possble to drive the full route without going back into the menu.

45. creeperblox2710

The thing is that if This route does get into TSW 2 and gets merged with RRO, DTG has to redesign most of RRO's Scenery which might take a bit of time

46. jolojonasgames

Thats the problem with physical mergers. If they only allowed you to go to the same service on the next route, a rework of scenery wouldn't be neccesary. They could also just reuse a lot of RRO scenery for this. RSN and RRO for example don't look significantly different around Hagen.

• Like Like x 1
  47. jolojonasgames

A few trainspotting videos that show off all the different services passing through solingen. As you can see, there is a lot of variety, the last one is very long but also features the BR 110 + n-Wagen. Just look at what this route has to offer! I could even add more potential DLCs (such as the ICE 1 or BR 120, which is my favourite loco) to my original suggestion, but I'd run out of space for pictures :).

Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 4
  48. creeperblox2710

The BR 120 is a bit of rare Loco on this line but it would be great if that gets added

• Like Like x 1
  49. jolojonasgames

Yeah, that's why I didn't add it to the suggestion to begin with. Sadly It's now out of service and can only be seen very rarely. I really like it because it's the first of its kind in the world, and nothing on the outside makes you think that. A very modest loco.

50. mclitke

I live like a 10 minute walk from Solingen HBF and it is quite a decent place for train spotting. Actually I have seen the BR 110 in national express livery there last week, I think it looks awesome. Great catch from that last person filming this shunter which I have never seen!
    Plus watching this it makes me realize how much I like the older ICE 1 and 2 designs compared to the newer ones.

• Like Like x 4