Train Sim World 2 Or Train Simulator 2021?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by david31, Feb 27, 2021.

1. david31

david31 New Member

It was quite a while that I have played a train sim and I want to get back into this branch of gaming. However on steam I got quite overwhelmed by the variety of train sims and DLCs... But I have saw that it looks like that TSW2 and TS2021 are the more popular and newest sims here, but is there a difference between these two? (Note: I have played the original Trainz Games back then and the only preference that i have are steam locomotives and really big maps but it’s just a preference)

2. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

I would say TSW was a more casual game as you are basically limited to the scenarios provided (which don't tend to be that interesting in my experience). There is an editor so you can make your own scenarios with enough time and patience, but you can't share them or download stuff made by other people. At present you can't run steam at all in TSW but they have talked about changing that. TSW is vastly better looking graphically, so it has that going for it!

• Like Like x 2
  3. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

In TS2021 you do get big maps and smaller ones and there is a verity of Steam locos and routes set in the steam era.
    And you can do a lot more in TS2021 than TSW

Whilst you are thinking about it spend anything over 73 pence and get TS2021 plus 5 add-ons
    https://www.humblebundle.com/games/train-sim-expedition-bundle
    Ignoring the Add-ons what you get is the base game that gives you three routes
    1 UK, 1 German and 1 US route.
    The Fife Circle route also come with an A4 Pacific 60009 Union of South Africa and you get a B1 in the bundle.

But you need a computer to run it - forget consoles.

Have a look at this page first which tells you what you need and then get the bundle for less than a £1
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/24010/Train_Simulator_2021/

Even if you don' like it for a quid it is worth a try.
    But you have only 3 days left

Peter

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

TSW - Looks great. Limited trains, routes and scenarios, and you are limited to what DTG release. Very limited livery editor. Limited scenario editor. More of a "game" style gameplay.

TS2021 - Doesn't look as nice, but can still look great with addons. More of a simulator than a game. Almost limitless range of 3rd party addons including most vehicles and a massive array of routes etc. Everything is fully editable depending upon knowledge and skill. Lots of free content. Lots of paid content from 3rd parties.

If you prefer shiny things and a more casual experience then get TSW2. If you want a more "simulator" experience and actually have a chance of driving the trains you want, where you want, in what livery you want... then get TS2021.

That pretty much sums it up.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Then TS2021 is your ONLY option. TSW/2 doesn't have either of your requirements.

6. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

In my un-humble opinion, having both is the best, albeit more expensive, alternative. I've managed to amass 104.4 TSW2 hours, 1,941.1 TSW hours, and 9,976.3 TS hours, or a bit over 500 days of DTG-based railroad simming, mostly pleasurable, but, yes, at times thoroughly frustrating. And that's not counting all of the hours that my dear computer has spent deleting and reinstalling TS2021 during the past few months.
    I'm neither bragging nor claiming a record, "Just the facts, mam".

• Like Like x 2
  7. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Jeesh... You need to find yourself a hobby mate.. :D:D

• Like Like x 4
  8. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

In my opinion TS2021 is superior in every dept apart from the Graphics.

Mike

• Like Like x 3
  9. Pookeyhead

And you don't get live streams from DTG showing you how to make a train with cute animals on it.... I'm serious... they did.. last night... it was cringe.

• Like Like x 1
  10. WhippleStripper

WhippleStripper Well-Known Member

I would question even that. Sure for close-ups of shiny rolling stock it's a bit better and the summer sun looks good, but many of the weather effects look no better than TS2021 and often the clouds look worse. Medium to distant scenery is no better than TS2021 and the better lighting of near objects can show up simplification in their modelling. Near to track vegetation looks better, but I find the trees less convincing.

I'll leave you to decide if the TSW screenshot below (accidently posted in a TS2021 thread) is better than TS2021.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Pookeyhead

It IS better looking.. no one can deny that. Not always, as the above shot shows, but generally, it just is. However, I challenge anyone to say that TS looks bad when set up correctly, and takes advantage of all addons available. In fact, it looks pretty damned good. Many, if not most TS users don't run with everything flat out, as being an old DX9 game, requires more grunt, whereas TSW being built on the Unreal 4 engine can run on anything... even consoles. As a result, more people run with high quality settings. Train Simulator with everything on max, with RW Enhancer, and Reshade addons, plus AP stock and track and weather addons looks fantastic. Out of the box though it's pretty average I'll admit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. trev123

trev123 Active Member

If you are not interested in route building or editing TSW or TSW 2 should suit you. I ran TSW 2020 yesterday on my new rig, see below, and was getting 60fps I then put all settings to max and was getting 30fps this was on the Sand Patch CSX route.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
  13. Pookeyhead

I get 30fps in Train Simulator 2021 with everything maxed out on a 10 year old PC with a 5 year old GPU running at 2560x1600.

• Like Like x 2
  14. trev123

trev123 Active Member

15. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I do have both but for me TS1 is far more engaging as things stand.

TSW does look very good, I think service mode is a boon and being able to walk around the virtual world, or what small amount DTG allows you. However you are hamstrung by what DTG release and what they decide is realistic. There is a scenario creation tool but it is very basic at the moment. Steam isn't available yet but is now on the roadmap so I imagine there might be something this year.

TS1 whilst not as good graphically but can look stunning especially the best quality routes with good quality buildings and infrastructure. Much of the recent locomotives and rolling stock and many not so recent are very high quality. Plus you have a much more comprehensive scenario editor, if it does throw a wobbly at times. Plus you can build your own routes too. And of course due to its age there is so much more stock available and plenty of third party payware and freeware content. UKTS has a comprehensive download library including plenty of steam period routes..

I don't know what area and period you prefer but if you prefer steam, Riviera in the 50's is a great starter. It comes with enough stock to work "out of the box" and it is decent quality with decent sounds, the route looks pretty good too with a few little glitches like platform 2 at Kingswear. Plus with the amount of DLC available from steam and from other sites you pretty much have every class of locomotive running on the Western region around the 1950's apart from a couple of classes of Pannier tanks. There are plenty of carriages available too and Steam Sounds Supreme has excellent sound packs. There are regular sales too.

The Stainmore route on the Steam Sounds Supreme site has a comprehensive collection of rolling stock included too.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Pookeyhead

17. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the OP has read any of these varied replies?

18. peterchambers

peterchambers Active Member

I have been considering this post carefully. I have to say that as someone who wants flexibility, immersion, good scenery, good sound and good dynamics that I really regret buying TSW2020 and all its DLC and then TSW2 and some more DLC. I keep trying it and then going back to TS. TSW just does not cut it for me but I can see why TSW would attract other people who would put graphics and the ability to walk on the track and stations and who would also be satisfied by the constraints of the timetabled missions and scenarios. I want to drive a DB BR 155 pulling pasengers and where I want. I have got TS looking almost as good as TSW using a shader program and AP. My grandson prefers TSW and enjoys hopping out onto platforms and the beautifully made models. It is horses for courses. Unfortunatly you probably have to buy both in sales and suck them and see. In years to come maybe TSW will be as good as TS but I have my doubts. I truly hope I am wrong.

• Like Like x 4
  19. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

For me, the advantage of TS2021 is in the vast array of content, so if there's something I specifically want to play (usually GEML or the Manc-Liv route) I'll go fire up TS2021. However, as an overall package, I enjoy TSW2 much, much more.

20. tehangrybird345

tehangrybird345 Well-Known Member

I would say it comes down to quality (TSW) vs quantity (TS)

• Like Like x 1
  21. BigMountain555

BigMountain555 Well-Known Member

I'd say go for both. That's what I did. I enjoy both for various reasons.

• Like Like x 4
  22. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I have both as they offer me a different enjoyable experience.

• Like Like x 4
  23. trev123

trev123 Active Member

I have both TSW2 and TS2022. I have been playing since 2010.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Since this got unearthed, let me give a reasoned analysis.

I have recently started acquiring content for TSW2 because they have been showing up at 75%, even up to 90% off in rare cases. As a result, it's much less expensive to acquire some content for the game. This is the time to try it out if you've been thinking about it as three starter packs, normally for some God-unknown reason priced at over $100 CAD, are currently 75% off and offer an entry point into UK, US, or German operations with a route and a couple of extra trains added to the base game.

However, here's where my analysis comes in. Sherman Hill was recently one of those 75% off titles. It's fairly new - like November 25, 2021 new. Why is something that new going on 75% off that quickly? It suggests to me that DTG is having trouble selling TSW2 content, at least on PC. Maybe their console sales are better and these discounts don't apply there, but this rings alarm bells if I were an investor in DTG (this of course would assume they were a public company, I don't know if they are). It's great for the customer, but it seems like they are desperate to sell copies of the product. This is my analysis based on recent chains of discounts. Two routes - East Coastway and CN Hamilton to Oakville - I even got at 90% off!

Train Simulator, meanwhile, has much wider arrays of content available, including third-party support. Sure, it's the most expensive game on Steam to fully acquire, and I frankly need to stop buying stuff, but there is always something interesting. Returning to analysis, the recent Class 700 release was a flop, and this suggests there are not a lot of people working on TS, meaning DTG seemingly was hoping to drop TS at some point. I think it's fair to say at this point they will not be able to drop TS without jeapordizing their future. They need to move more people back to TS and bring better train DLC and more varied route DLC. The same route DLC in high quality graphics on TSW is shorter than the TS version, where there is a comparison, and costs much more hard drive space. Sherman Hill, for instance, doesn't have the path through Speer at all on TSW2, making it a much less immersive DLC there than on TS, where scenarios exist through Speer. At some point, consoles run out of space and DLC sales will stop there. On PCs, you can upgrade your hard drive and get everything you want with no issues.

I think I've given enough reason for TS to be the better game. Again, I acquired TSW2 only recently, but it's not installed yet. I will visit it periodically to look at routes not available on TS. This includes the Bakerloo Line even though that route is part of the freeware WCMLS 5.3 project (it also includes the Northampton Loop), and naturally I will visit that before the TSW equivalent. The timetable mode is, however, something that can be interesting. Don't want to run a scenario and just want to do some quick drives? There's a bunch set up in a 24 hour format waiting for you, go get 'em. I don't do quick drives in TS, but this is a form of quick drive (TSW2) that I would do because there is some kind of goal to it, some kind of achievement. Meanwhile, I prefer the structured scenario format that TS users are able to offer by delving into actual timetables and plotting actual schedules on the tracks for us to experience. Easy win, hands down. TS is not going anywhere if DTG wants to remain relevant, in my view. And they need to put together a user testing team and make reasoned attempts to improve content. I'd offer to join and run that team if not for my nationality...and maybe I'll still try.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  25. darujhistan

darujhistan Member

DTG did reveal on one of they're streams that it is mainly Pc gamers that play TSW 2. Last year Steam also did a monthly report on the top 10 best selling games of 2021, I can't remember when TSW was released, maybe June, it didn't get in to the top 10, TS 2022 came out in Sept I think, that did get in to the top 10, placed 9th or thereabouts. But there are far more positive reviews on steam for TSW 2 compared to TS, not that I take much notice of reviews, but weather that's anything to go by, I couldn't say......

however it is concerning that TSW 2 products are much cheaper in the sales than what TS products are, it dose give you the impression that TSW is not selling as well has DTG's would like them to be. I have been in to TSW since Aug 20, I have tried to push myself in to TSW 2, I have tried to like the game, but I just don't, I don't like the feel or look of TSW 2, therefore it is very short lived for me, so I revert back to TS all the time, which I have been a fan of since TS was originally called Railworks, in which I can not see myself ever moving away from.

I'm not sure where the future lies for DTG's, but I think TS is probably they're best selling product, at least for the time being, TSW is not working as well as they and we would of liked, maybe the software is not suitable for Train Simulations, maybe the developers are not using the software to it's full potential, maybe they are not experienced enough to know how to, but when you look back at Railworks when that first started to now, TS is a much better simulator, it has improved a great deal over time, or at least it has for me. Maybe in 5, 10 years time TSW 2 will also became a better simulator for us all, there is much room for improvement for TSW 2, but it's up to the developers to figure out how to best do that.

• Like Like x 1
  26. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

I bought into TSW2020 with the original Sand Patch AND I splashed out on North Pennine (as I live there) and have a total of 4.3 hours of it and that was enough. I have TS2022 on 2 computers one for North America and the other for ROW (mainly UK and German/Austrian) with a combined total of about 9000 hours (all since Jan 2016). I enjoy the Game + Freeware, the third party input (Steam, Diesel and Electric) and being able to tinker about amending routes, even constructing my own - you can't do that in TSW of any sort.
    It is worth thinking - Why is something 90% discounted, you NEVER get that discount in TS20xx.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  27. andy.malcolm

andy.malcolm Active Member

Even the donkeys years old stuff rarely even gets to 75%.

28. michael hooley

michael hooley Well-Known Member

I believe the only advantage of TSW 2 is the graphics, the rest come a poor second to TS2022, my main problems are no editor and outside cameras are all over the place.
    As for the promised competition, where is it?.

Mike

• Like Like x 1
  29. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Some people were talking about doom and gloom for DTG 5 or 6 years ago but here they are still today.

• Like Like x 3
  30. trev123

trev123 Active Member

Don't forget DTG owns Microsoft Flight Simulator FSX Steam Edition with over 1 million users according to the Steam Database.

31. Cyclone

This is news to me. I know Just Trains derives from Just Flight, too. So companies tend to look at both games together.

32. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

Reminds me of a coy comment Sam made on a stream a couple of months back, when he said that DTG’s involvement with MS FSX had “done what it was intended to do” (or words to that effect). I assumed at the time that meant bringing lots of money into DTG to subsidise the train stuff that the CEO is into.

Wild speculation, of course.

33. hayward.john48

hayward.john48 Well-Known Member

It matters not to me as long as DTG continue to support TS20xx - that'll do for me.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Cyclone

That's typical Sam-speak if I may say so. He would have to clarify exactly what he meant by that, and I'm not sure he will.

35. Aryffordd

Aryffordd Guest

True enough!