Train Simulator 2021 Core Update - 2nd March 2021

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DTG Jamie, Mar 2, 2021.

1. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

Changed my mind, won't post the video. But I will post my results. Note that my process is to select a scenario, whose name I provide with each route, and then click the "Start" button (there is no "Drive" buitton).

I tested three routes and scenarios in my attempts. First was Suburban Glasgow. I'll come back to this one.

The lowest initial load time, surprisingly, was from my second selection, Feather River Canyon, where I loaded the first of four default scenarios (Train 17 Westbound). We'll ignore the fact that this apparently has a bad instruction and there is a fixed version on the Workshop rewording it ("the original wording implied the lead locomotive was to be uncoupled from the B units and coaches"). My load time of the default original scenario was 1 minute and 16 seconds. After completing all of my tests and moving to -fastload, I dropped it down to 18 seconds in the same order as my first set of loads.

Let's move to Sherman Hill. I loaded the buggiest scenario I've ever driven in Introduction to Sherman Hill. The load time is always around a minute or more, and on this occasion, it was 1 minute 41 seconds. This was a very important route for me to test as I have all of the scenarios and assets unpacked, having been messing around not only trying to work on editing scenarios, but also because I wanted to use one of the locos in other places as a substitute (and also the ES44AC has recently had applied some shiny new special paint jobs). So knowing everything was out of the AP files, I was curious. It came in at 19 seconds. So having files unpacked is not a bad thing, provided the AP file is there to load from.

Let's move to the first of the three tests in each case. I nearly fell asleep on the initial load of Clydeside Direct from the Suburban Glasgow route. When I finally saw the introduction message, I clocked in at a lethargic 2 minutes 52 seconds (and I have a 1060 NVIDIA with 24 GB of RAM, that is embarrassingly slow). -fastload on this one almost had me falling out of my chair as I was shifting when the load completed. It came in exactly like FRC did, at 18 seconds.

So that's a total 5 minutes and 49 seconds of loading time where I could be doing anything else reduced to a total load time of 55 seconds. I will take that any day. But here's the bonus I alluded to in an earlier post. I checked gameplay on Cajon Pass. It also loaded somewhere in the 15-20 range (I didn't write this one down). I then played Slow Climb South. Would you believe that I didn't have a moment of lag at all on that route? Good, because I did. The spot around San Bernardino was as sticky as ever. But I had previously played Arriving East on High quality and lagged constantly as I went. I was able to play Slow Climb South on High quality without any lag except for the unoptimized San Bernardino area loading when you come to W Base Line Street; it always freezes right before that bridge. It still did here. But other than that, I had no issues. It was smooth as butter.

So this is a tremendous update and worth the time taken. Jamie and team should be congratulated.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Credit where credit is due but I doubt a Junior Community Manager had a whole lot to do with programming a core update. :D:D

• Like Like x 2
  3. Cyclone

It's his team, isn't it? :o

4. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

He is part of the DTG team yes I never said he wasn't (though I don't think the team are "his" as you say), what I stated was that as a Junior Community Manager I doubt he had anything to do with the core update, would you thank the janitor at the bank when your loan got approved?

You said "Jamie & Team should be congratulated" I merely pointed out that it probably wasn't a whole heap to do with the PRIMARY person you thanked.

:o:o

• Like Like x 2
  5. oliverrobertsmithson

oliverrobertsmithson New Member

I have a fair few of the routes unpacked from their ap files, I'm assuming that the route will therefore no longer apply to me on those routes? Is there any way that I can repack them so I can take benefit of this as I do sometimes have to wait a good 3 or 4 minutes on routes like WCML South. Seeing loading times of seconds, it's something I can't miss really especially when streaming as it gets very boring staring at some screenshots for a few minutes.

Thanks in advance

6. Cyclone

Wait, the janitor wasn't the one who approved my bank loan? No wonder I got stiffed... :o

I reported about this. See this post.

7. oliverrobertsmithson

oliverrobertsmithson New Member

I apologise mate, only just seen it. Nice to know that it still applies to routes outside of their .ap files.

8. Cyclone

No problem! I linked it in order to make sure you saw the information. When I saw that it was useful mainly for AP files, I knew I had to run this experiment.

9. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Also just to answer your question regarding repacking, yes you can, just use 7zip and follow Danny's instructions here > https://forums.dovetailgames.com/th...core-update-2nd-march-2021.36321/#post-261298

10. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

50s Riviera / WD10EZEX 160MBps / Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9400 CPU @ 2.90GHz
    Standard - Play : 64s
    Fast - Play : 51s
    Fast - Resume : 21s

11. Daytona

Daytona Active Member

It's the load time from storage which has been accelerated. The GPU isn't relevant.

12. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead Well-Known Member

I'm running 1600p now with a GPU worse than yours... why wait? :)

13. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

I'm good for now it's just my future upgrade plans, tbh I'm not sure which I'll get first when the time comes.

14. Pookeyhead

I've given up for now. I was going to do an interim upgrade to a 1080, but even the used market has gone nuts. £400 for a 1080!! Not a Ti... just a vanilla 1080. If I were you, I'd just get the nice monitor and forget actual silicon upgrades for the rest of this year, as it's going to get worse before it gets better. Not only is it the Ebay scalpers, but now we've got all the Chinese crypto-currency miners sucking up all the GPUs. They're so rare now that New Egg in the US won't even sell you a new GPU. You have to enter a "Raffle" and hope your name comes up just to be offered the chance to buy one.

15. Not.Silent

Not.Silent New Member

I just tested a recent scenario I created on the Tirol Brenner-Kufstein route. I had included as extra DLC: Semmeringbahn route, OBB4023 (pro), and the Wiesel double deck OBB1144 (pro).
    A) Under Build/Edit this took 2 minutes 25 seconds to load
    B) The same scenario under Drive/Run took 2 minutes 20 seconds to load.
    AFTER ENTERING -FASTLOAD
    A) Under Build/Edit this took 24 seconds to load
    B) The same scenario under Drive/Run took 24 seconds to load.

For me, who creates a lot of scenarios (and tests them a lot), the extra available productive time is going to be immense!
    Well done DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob Jansen

Rob Jansen Well-Known Member

It seems that they updated the code to finally take advantage of SSD speeds, that is just it.

So, having an SSD is improving your experience and a must have as it now can read with those speeds.

As .ap files are mainly large files it benifits, the loose smaller files now can be read faster but the impact is less.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ex-railwayman

ex-railwayman Active Member

Yeah, my game is also now on an SSD and I have very little problem with loading times, the bigger the route the longer it takes, we've come to expect that after 14 years. I have also extracted every route from it's .AP file, as when you make any changes in a route it creates another folder, so, you end up with the route in an .AP file, then extra folders for Networks, Loft Tiles, Track Tiles, Scenarios and Scenery, so, I might as well extract all routes from their .AP file and let any amendments go straight into the folders already in place, it saves a lot of faffing about.
    And before you ask why am I making amendments to routes, just think, virtually every route available has an anamoly of sorts. Buildings buried in the ground, trees right alongside tracks going through your train windscreen, buffers missing from the end of tracks, vegetation that needs moving or deleteing, too many sound domes and smoking chimneys causing a bit of lag, many of them aren't needed and the worst one is that DTG hardly put any benches or trolleys or mailbags or any clutter on all platforms on every route, it's bare, which is totally unrealistic. Might as well extract every route, you cannot change the RouteProperties xml file in RWTools for missing assets, and whatever, if it isn't unpacked.

Cheerz. Steve.

18. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

"I can live with that till I get my RTX3080 :D:D"
    It won't make as much difference as you might think.

• Like Like x 1
  19. martschuffing

As an aside, can anyone tell me what file format or tool an ap archive uses? I'd like to get back to that system if possible without uninstalling the whole kit and caboodle if I can as hours and hours of replacing my 3rd party addons doesn't excite.

20. TrainSim-Steve

TrainSim-Steve Senior Producer Staff Member

Hi martschuffing,

One of my colleagues posted earlier in the thread on ap archives, quoted below for you:

Hope this helps.

Best, Steve

• Like Like x 1
  21. Pookeyhead

What if you repack an unpacked .ap file that has since had reskins added? I tried this with a route yesterday and the loco stopped working.

22. Cyclone

I should not get ahead of someone official confirming this, but my expectation would be that it's inside an AP file and therefore will work. But the recent information that SSD speeds are what are really improved here tells me that anything packed in a rather large and beefy AP file should now work. Remember DPSimulation packed North East England and chopped his load time by a quarter. This is probably relevant to your question. If you pack the reskins and reference those reskins, it will probably work. Just don't use the normal route or loco AP file, as that is not guaranteed to have a good result.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  23. majorminor

majorminor Member

I honestly don't get this.

The received knowledge is that DTG spend very little coding time on TS these days.

So when they do let a coder loose on it, the best idea they can come up with is a thing that only affects routes packed in a particular way (.ap files).

So what about the REAL issues??

What about the fact that the text on route/scenario flyouts is so small it is almost unreadable?

What about the "lineside camera" that isn't?

What about the never ending problems with Google Maps Apis?

I could go on - I know there are lots of others - But I was writing this as TS loaded up, and it's there now - where was the problem??

I know you are in the world of simulations, DTG, but you need to occupy the REAL world occasionally! ;)

24. Pookeyhead

Just tried it again... no go :( I'm gonna hose out the route, and re-download from Steam... start again. I'm fully backed up should something go awry.

25. Cyclone

Wait...there's a real world? I mean, it's probably just a term that has left my dictionary lately. Much like "work". And "living". And "shower". *insert drum here*

You probably have to make a reference to the loco in a scenario. I'm not sure how AP files get referenced, exactly.

26. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Oh I totally get it, a company that is so often slated for it's inactions surprises us all and gives us a real time "real world" fix to a problem that's plagued the game for years, and for free and with no fuss or fanfare
    Ok let's look at them.
    Get reading glasses. Boom fixed.. Next!
    Free cam (number 8 key) Boom fixed again, I'm on a roll look at me go.. Next!
    I have it working, hundreds of other map creators have it working, is it the api or is it you? Either give up route editing/scenario creating and leave it to the people who can, (or better still learn how to do it properly), Tick tick Boom.. Nex...... oh wait we're done with "actual" examples are we.. Sorry I can't fix "I could go ons"
    If everything around you is a problem then you need to look at yourself, as maybe, just maybe, it's not everything else that's the problem.
    I recommend a severe dosage of "follow your own advice", just sayin'.

• Like Like x 4
  27. majorminor

majorminor Member

Yeah, yeah yeah.
    Workarounds to fix things that should have been fixed YEARS ago.

We stick with TS because it is capable of great things - but that is NOT down to whatever DTG have "done" with it (or not!).

I have a GWR bench floating above a platform at Exeter that NOTHING will allow me to select.
    EVERY key has been pressed. Every workaround used. It just frigging sits there!
    The program needs fixing, not just speeding up!

RW enhancer lets me get rid on the automatons with pegs up their backsides from zombying up and down the platform, but I can't get rid of their shadows! Aargh!
    Again, I could go on...

So go on, wise guy. Tell me how to fix it. And then say BOOM! :D

• Like Like x 1
  28. martschuffing

Doh! Thanks.

29. Cyclone

Maybe they could not find a good way to do it without potentially screwing up some piece of DLC that we will never know it doesn't work on? BOOM!

30. majorminor

majorminor Member

In order for coders to "find a good way", they have to look at the problem.

Even Matt the green screen guy (who, I understand, works for the company) complains about "clickable" screen assets that simply don't work.
    We can be apologists all we like, and I'm sure I'm as big a fan of the program as you are, but letting DTG ignore the problems is NOT the answer.

We DID NOT need "some files but not others" speeding up. It's half arsed, to say the best.

We need them to SORT THE PROGRAM COMPLETELY....BOOM ;)

• Like Like x 1
  31. Pookeyhead

I have absolutely no problem reading it.

32. majorminor

majorminor Member

Good for you, my friend. Go to the top of the class;)

33. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Post deleted by Reef, (trying to help clean out the off topics :) )

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  34. majorminor

majorminor Member

Yeah, it must be that. How very astute of you! If I carry on, are you guys gonna gang up on me? Whoaaaa, I'd best come to my senses! DTG are the bollox! :cool:

35. majorminor

majorminor Member

No, I stole it from you whilst you were doing your eyebrows....

Just stop the pettiness, FFS....

• Like Like x 1
  36. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Ok, no problem,

I'll ask you again, which Exeter route, you asked me a question but you haven't provided me with key information to answer it.

37. Pookeyhead

What's with the not so passive, passive aggressiveness?

38. Cyclone

To be fair, I get where he's coming from. He probably has four eyes like I do. And sometimes, especially for those ones that are sideways, I do find myself looking, trying to read it, then just referring to it as "California".

39. Pookeyhead

I wear glasses too.. but with my glasses, everything is fine. That's why I wear them :)

I've never once had any trouble reading anything.. I genuinely don't even know I'm sure what he's referring to. Then again, I have a 30" monitor.

40. majorminor

majorminor Member

I use a few versions of the Riviera route - 50s, GWR, and ones I have modified to earlier time periods.. The asset in question is the early GWR wooden bench (which predates the ones with cast iron supports).

The issue is with the asset, not the routes - as I have, stupidly, tried to use it before, on different routes, with the same problem.

But this is a common issue with TS. You perform a particular keystroke with a particular object on screen, and it doesn't do what is supposed to happen.

Is this just a "10 year old program" issue, or just sloppy programming that never got fixed? Either way, I firmly believe that all these little "glitches" need fixing BEFORE we start addressing speed issues that, for most, are of little consequence.

10 seconds off loading up a route? Wow!

Please don't start suggesting workarounds for this - believe me, I have tried them all. Short of deleting the route, it ain't going nowhere.

41. Cyclone

I don't know. I'd say the reports of great improvements in both loading time and in gameplay quality for many kind of make you look silly with that comment. But you are entitled to your opinion.

I unfortunately do not have answers for your other questions.

• Like Like x 1
  42. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

I may be sticking me nose where it don't belong, but I see we got an argument going on here in the thread. For the sake of trying to keep the peace, might I suggest at least taking it to DM's or maybe even dropping it and agreeing to have your differences? I may not be a forum mod, but I'd like to keep this thread peaceful for the sake of peace.

43. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Double-click the platform loft, and set all the percentages on the right hand side to 0.

44. majorminor

majorminor Member

So who's fault is it, then?

The "game" allows me to select stuff created in the game that doesn't work in the game. Hello?

So if MS Word falls over on a word, is it your fault, or MS Word's?

I think you should blame the program, not the word.... Get real, my friend.

So it's accept mediocrity, or be "prissy"? I'll take PRISSY...:o;):o

TS is an old dog - a wonderful dog in places - but a dog nevertheless......:o

45. Cyclone

OK guys, going to echo what someone else said, let's not hijack a thread about a wonderful game patch and update with old things that should be their own debate. Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Reef

Reef Well-Known Member

Well maybe you should play another game or find another hobby then, because steammaster4449 and Cyclone are right this isn't the place for this discussion so I'm out.

I'll let you have the last say as you seem that type, carry on.. :)

47. majorminor

majorminor Member

Good luck, my friend ;)

48. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

DTG Jamie
    Sorry for tagging, just the thread has gone a bit deep :)

I changed the target of my desktop shortcut on the day of announcement as:
    D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\RailWorks\RailWorks64.exe -fastload

Being Tuesday, I have ran Bristol-Exeter back and forth (massive photographing on 2nd), and the ECML BR Class 101 both CS.
    I didn't notice anything with the loading times. I'm not sure which exact assets are AP.
    I think my stuttering has been mostly gone. There was a tendency for a couple tenths of a second here and there, but this morning I specifically noted tree lines popping in without a noticeable stutter. (There has been like 0.1 here and there.)
    However, there have been some weird artifacts. Notably, platforms from Northallerton and Thirsk were missing, possibly some extra objects here and there. After that I got into this brain mode of missing random scenery, e.g. too simply ground everywhere. But it's the ECML, so.
    Considering it wasn't a problem during the previous 4 runs, I assume there is a bit of a randomness to it, maybe a lack of error handling.

1) Besides the missing platform, I think a few boards are missing, namely the station name and platform number.
    20210305075204_1.jpg
    2) Obviously, Thirsk, platform numbers might be missing besides the obvious change to glass platforms.
    20210305080133_1.jpg
    3) Platform ends did load (both stations)
    20210305080233_1.jpg
    4) York did load just fine. Are these the same platform objects? On a side, note the clock issue. I'm stationary, but still 2 minutes to go.
    20210305083015_1.jpg
    5) Just to avoid silly questions...
    20210305083140_1.jpg

49. markjohn4716

markjohn4716 New Member

Hello Jamie, when i herd about the update i was excited so i put the update fastload in the two places as instructed waited 24 hours launch train simulator tried some different scenarios and there is no change in loading times which are very slow i am using a 4tb nve ssd drive internal very disappointed could you please assist me regarding my inquiry please on a lighter note i play train simulator everyday without fail accumulated 7607 hours to date enjoy all the teams stream, when i can jump in on the chat to say hi i will look forward to your reply .
    Best Regards
    Mark

50. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Did you put -fastload in the launch options as per the post?