Rivet 1938 Tube Stock

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by ZeenozPlays, Feb 23, 2021.

1. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

On the newest Roadmap, a new Loco Addon appeared. This Addon is the 1938 Tube Stock, developed by Rivet Games.

I assume this is for the BKL, so could this mean we are getting a historic BKL route?

Also, why is it a full Loco Addon when we already have the train in the game. The Class 483?

It’d be ridiculous if it’s full price, especially since it’s literally only a livery and seating change.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nick Y

Nick Y Well-Known Member

Whilst we do have that on the IoW, it's only 2 cars there. This new version would be the full length tube train.

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  3. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing it would require a full new timetable, as I'm pretty sure the line past Watford didn't exist when the 38 stock was in use.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Northerner

Northerner Well-Known Member

A full 1938 stock train is quite different to the class 483 that ran on the Isle of Wight. The 483 is only formed of 2 driving cars and was heavily refurbished so the interior and front ends are not identical. To make a full length 1938 stock train, they'd also need to make a trailer car and a non-driving motor car.

• Like Like x 7
  5. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

It would be stupid if it was $20. I don't plan on buying it at all

• Like Like x 1
  6. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It will be for Bakerloo and should have its own timetable, now that multiple timetables are a thing. It wouldn’t be right having it running the same time as the 1972 stock.

To be clear we do not already have the train in the game. The 1938 stock is as different enough to the Class 483 for it to be a full loco DLC, especially if it does have a full timetable with it. You’re not just buying the train model when you buy a loco DLC you buy everything else that comes with it. The model will be adapted from the one they have made of course but it’s not just a reskin. Extra coaches need to be made and the Simugraph patch changed to reflect the new configuration.

The more trains that exist in TSW the more likely we will get something very similar to something else. I love the 483 but this isn’t an automatic buy for me by any means. I don’t like Bakerloo enough to justify it. To be honest, I’m not sure it will sell well but you never know.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  7. ZeenozPlays

ZeenozPlays Well-Known Member

I'll most likely buy it, but only because I love the Underground (Maybe not the BKL in particular, but the system in general). I just felt like (based on my knowledge of the 483/1938 Stock) it shouldn't be a full loco DLC. We'll see if it gets it's own timetable though.

• Like Like x 3
  8. tallboy7648

This just seems it will add railtour services that wouldn't run on the bkl in real life. Not to mention it's just the 483 with a slight interior change and extra carriges. That to me doesn't sound like it's worth full price

• Like Like x 1
  9. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I don’t know about it just being railtours, that would be very odd. We’ll get more details nearer to release I suppose. There may well be teasers from Rivet for a month before release to try and hype it up a little, but that might be a while off yet.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This is a preserved '38 stock. Image from Wikipedia (Oxyman).
    [​IMG]
    This is a Class 483 in service a few years ago. Image from Wikipedia (PeterSkuce).

The headlights for a start are different, plus the different lengths. The passenger saloon is also slightly different (beyond the coverings) between the 483 and 38 stock. A lot of modifications were made to the trains when they arrived on the island, beyond just shortening it to 2-cars - they had to be modified to run on 3rd rail, not 4th rail. I think even the cab may be a bit different. So, really, the saloon layout and basic shape and possibly cab are the same.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  11. xblackwolf90

xblackwolf90 Well-Known Member

I love the Bakerloo route, so any DLC for this is of immediate interest.

I would suspect Rivet will use the 483 as a base rather than start entirely from scratch, but as mentioned above, there are definite differences which means it is more than just a reskin.

However, Rivet's first release for TSW2 for console wasn't up to scratch at all. They need to do a good job on the Arosa launch for me to go straight in on day one. If Arosa's launch follows the same path as IOW, I'll be holding out until/if everything is resolved and up to scratch.

• Like Like x 1
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The problem I see for this is similar to that of the BR Blue pack- '38s running on the modeled 2010's Bakerloo would be absurd (unless said '38 was equipped with a flux capacitor and got up to 88 mph).

• Like Like x 4
  13. kennyjamesscott

kennyjamesscott Well-Known Member

Of course it will be full price

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. tallboy7648

What's more absurd is that the train wouldn't run on the route in reality whatsoever unless they simulate the route to how it would be in the 1940s, 50s, and 60s This train would be more suited for railtour services on the Metropolitan Line or another underground line but since that's not in the game we have a case of someone wanting to make a train that wouldn't even run on said line in reality breaking realism. I would buy it if it had railtour services for the correct line but for now I'm not gonna get it. Hopefully we do get another London Underground line in the future. The Metropolitan line for this train makes more sense but it's not in the game yet

• Like Like x 2
  15. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

It's rather normal compared to the idea of a BR Blue 101 on a suburban commuter service out of Paddington on an ultra modern route. Yes, Bakerloo is ultra modern, but not much of it has changed since the 38 stock went out of service. GWE on the other hand, is almost unrecognisable compared to how it was in the 70s.

I have a feeling it may give you the option to choose between timetables like the GWE pack will.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. tallboy7648

That's what I was thinking

17. ChrisBam

ChrisBam New Member

I really hope that's the case.

18. MYG92

MYG92 Well-Known Member

I smell a special excursion otherwise it would be so wrong like the GWE about the era

19. transport

transport Active Member

true

20. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? Why would a different timetable make any difference? You’re still driving the train between Harrow and Wealdstone and Elephant & Castle. What does it matter if it leaves at, say, 12.03 or 12.06?

• Like Like x 2
  21. tallboy7648

Well this train wouldn't run on the route in modern day let alone railtour services. To have a old era timetable and the regular would make things more realistic.

• Like Like x 4
  22. junior hornet

But it is running on the modern day route. Do people really study the timetables from 50 years ago and, as I said, what difference does it make what time the train leaves? The current timetable of the TSW Bakerloo line is certainly not realistic.

I’ll be buying the DLC for the train (for childhood memories). :) Edited by DTG Natalie - Please watch your language

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2021
  23. tallboy7648

Well the current timetable isn't realistic because they couldn't include the extra services. Yes the environment of the route probably won't change if there was an old era timetable but it wouldn't make sense to add a train that doesn't run on the route in this period. It's clear that you don't care about the time period but I suspect that a old era timetable will come with the train

• Like Like x 1
  24. junior hornet

I’d love it if it was old era scenery (not to mention the Stanmore line, which was Bakerloo at the time) but sadly, that won’t happen. Actually I wish it could re-create the smell of the deep level stations in the era in which these trains were running. Now that would bring back memories.

• Like Like x 1
  25. tallboy7648

I think that would be cool but hey we can only dream :)

26. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

A separate timetable would just be to ensure all the stock on the line was from the same era. So if you want to play true to modern times, no AI trains would appear as 1938 stock and if you wanted to play in the olden days, no 1972 stock would be on the route. The times could be exactly the same in both timetables because that timetable has been tested, and is known to work.

If there was just the normal timetable and normal substitution system, you would always get a mix of the two trains, which wouldn’t be right for the modern setting of the route. However, all talk of the route being too modern to ever run the 1938 stock is redundant because the player just uses their imagination, but I wouldn’t want the two eras mixing. This is why I would much rather have two timetables, in which case I would definitely buy the 1938 stock at some point.

EDIT - the times may have to be different in the timetables if the 1938 stock can’t match the more modern speeds and acceleration curves.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  27. imaginox9

imaginox9 Active Member

Just to let you know: the 1938 Stock ran on the Bakerloo up until 1988. It ran mixed with 1959 Stock (which is basically a silver 38 Stock) and unrefurbished 1972 Stock Mk2 in their original state (silver with red doors, no doors closing alarms, guard controls) ;) .

• Like Like x 1
  28. Costpap

Costpap Member

According to the code (GCC-L6 01), an explanation for which can be found here, the year that will be used for releasing the 1938 stock is between 1991 and 2010, as 6 corresponds to that. I find that quite interesting seeing as how the 1938 stock stopped running on the Bakerloo line in 1988. There's no equivalent code for the Bakerloo line itself from what I could find, however it's most likely GCC-R7 02, since GCC R7-01 is ECW while GCC R7-03 is IOW, with GCC-R7 02 being vacant. Seeing as the Bakerloo line released after ECW but not before IOW, it'd only make sense that it's that one. In case it is, 7 corresponds to 2011+. To be honest, it doesn't really add up or make sense at all.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. tallboy7648

The Bakerloo line is set in 2020. The code system about what year a route is set in may confuse some players so I perfer if dtg would just put the specific year the route is set in to ease confusion

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

But then it ought to be an L7, not an L6. Or did they just take the average of 5 and 7.....?

• Like Like x 1
  31. Costpap

Costpap Member

That would only add to my assumption of Bakerloo being GCC-R7 02, seeing as that route code doesn't exist, while GCC-R7 03 does exist. However, setting the year for a locomotive at least 10 years prior to what the route is set in would make little to no sense, if I'm being honest.

• Like Like x 1
  32. tallboy7648

Yeh it would not make sense to change the year of a locomotive 10 years prior. It's not as if the 1938 stock ran on the route in the 2010s.

• Like Like x 1
  33. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

This thing is going to be like Diesel Legends: It will be a second timetable. No Extensions to watford or Stanmore (This would, if it happened, be something that would cost money and not included in the 38 stock).

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  34. junior hornet

I would have loved the Stanmore branch (now part of Jubilee Line) and the extension to Watford Junction but with merging of routes not a thing in TSW2, it would mean a whole new route at the price of a route (£24.99). I suspect many people wouldn’t buy it as it would replicate a large chunk of what they already have.

35. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

I would by a heritage bakerloo line with 38stock and extension to watford.
    Well rivet surprised us with making west cornwall longer. So who knows.. ;)

Gwr modern with br blue time table as in diesel legends feels just weird. 38 stock on todays bakerloo wouldnt be a buy for me.

• Like Like x 1
  36. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

Because I am Doomotron, I find it absolutely necessary for me to mention the London Transport Heritage Collection, or Phorum Peninsula.

I know I talk about that beautiful, amazing route a bit too much, but in TS it came with the 1938 Stock, and it was beautifully modelled. The route acted as a heritage railway in the LTHC and that's probably where Rivet's 1938 Stock would be best used. Having it on the Bakerloo Line as anything other than a railtour would be very out of place and a waste of time.

• Like Like x 1
  37. twiggy#9635

twiggy#9635 Well-Known Member

I’m really looking forward to this 1938 Stock as I really loved the Diesel Legends pack and I would love to get more tube trains

38. junior hornet

Nonsense. I grew up with this train and, although a period route would be the ideal scenario, it is not a waste of time for me and I would be happy to drive it on the existing Bakerloo line (or SKA or Arosalinie or anywhere else for that matter).

I have the LTHC for TS by the way and agree that it is great.

39. Wolfgrade

Wolfgrade New Member

Judging from the front light configuration in the screenshots, this represents the 4-car preserved unit.
    But the interior view does not feature the "shovel" lampshades, which the preserved unit has. In the 1980s, the last 6 trains operated with the shades removed.
    I guess we will just have to wait and see.

40. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

It is the full 7 car unit

41. Wolfgrade

Wolfgrade New Member

Thanks for clearing that up. Then the lights are wrong. The top two should be tungsten bulbs like the middle one.
    Only the preserved unit had them replaced with high-intensity headlights.
    I haven't seen a shot of the cab view yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if it has the modern speedometer, again only fitted
    to the preserved unit., (well also the IOW units if you want to be pedantic)

42. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

This model is based of a 1970’s unit , so maybe the headlights were different then ?

43. Wolfgrade

Wolfgrade New Member

They didn't have headlights back then. They started out as marker lights that showed the train's destination. Originally the bottom two were also white but later changed to red for reasons unknown to me. The high-intensity lights were fitted to the preserved unit at some time, presumably to meet modern safety standards. The driving car at the LT Museum in Covent Garden has been restored to the 5 white light arrangement.
    https://www.ltmuseum.co.uk/collections/collections-online/vehicles/item/1981-541-part-0

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021