Clinchfield Preview (video Edition)

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Challenger3985, Mar 20, 2021.

1. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

As mentioned there are 48 services - but bear in mind this isn't the kind of route where you're tail chasing trains constantly, that's just not how it works here really. We added in some "Extra" classified services to the timetable beyond the normally scheduled ones, and all scheduled ones are present. Beyond that there are then the Greenbriar, Moss and Nora turns, plus a "shifter" based out of Elkhorn that runs McClure.

You're looking at around 8 hours for the Greenbriar turn in total, and probably 6 or 7 for each of the Moss and Nora turns, maybe 3-4 for the McClure Shifter. Beyond that you've got the bridge traffic up and down the line plus coal runs empty and loaded.

You definitely get caught up by other trains - in fact in the video processing at the moment both the two services I ran had meets. But... if you're expecting a meet at every loop - you're not going to get that.

Taking the Greenbriar turn as an example, you've got 8 parts in total - you can start at whichever part you want and just keep going until you're done and then come back later and pick up where you left off on the next part essentially. While the full turn is around 8 hours - they're mostly all 1 hour or under each.

The first part you run from Dante to Delano loop, next part you run from Delano to Pittco down the branch. Multiple parts then have you going from Pittco west to Berta delivering empties and adding loaded cars to your train (all the while managing that pesky caboose) and then by the time you're back at Delano again you're fully loaded. Before heading back to Dante however you need to set out a few of the hoppers in Caney Sidings for a later run on to Moss Processing on the Fremont branch - once that's done, it's back off south.

Later - the Moss Turn will come and pick up those cars, add them to its train (and indeed they pick up some left in Allen by the Nora turn too) before it makes the run over to Moss Processing doing a similar set out and pick up of cars as it goes.

It's a very different kind of service mode - someone mentioned the 4 service setup on Sand Patch where you take empties to a mine, load them and then come back... imagine this being mostly a service mode of all that kinda stuff, plus some full line runs (again, all the official numbered runs plus some extra's) for when you just want to do the full elkhorn-dante run.

I completely lost track of time the other night testing one out and it was 4 hours later when I checked the time!

Video should be uploaded soon, it's processing at the moment.

Matt.

• Like Like x 27
    • Helpful Helpful x 9
  2. DTG Protagonist

DTG Protagonist Has left the building Staff Member

We're not. We'll schedule it for another time (it's a very good challenge).

• Like Like x 5
  3. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

This sounds excellent and I am glad that the dispatcher is up to the task. I think service mode is the signature of TSW2. This is a whole new level of service mode. I am looking forward to exploring this route!

• Like Like x 11
  4. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

So these are services we can run, but have to find them in the wild? Or does it work in a different way? Is there a reason for them not being on a timetable? Also this probably means the route has capacity for more additions with new locos, right?

• Like Like x 3
  5. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Yes! \o/

I like when Matt is so confident in judging the quality of their work. This was the case with the HMA. It smelled of pride. CRR will be a hit.

• Like Like x 5
  6. DTG Matt

The extra ones are in the timetable - they're just classified as "extra" by CRR, e.g. "CRR Extra 3005" for example. Meaning they're not part of the regularly scheduled runs. Extra's happened frequently as I understand it (by frequently I mean in a given week, not many per hour :)).

There are two services not showing up in the timetable - nora turn parts 3 and 4. These are accessible via the Journey screen, or if you play part 2 and roll into 3 etc, or indeed spawn on foot at the right place and just take it over. Hopefully we'll get a fix for it but I don't expect it for release at this point.

Yes there's more services that could be done including second runs to the branch lines for example - however when we fully populated the SEHS timetable without room for a DLC to add more, people didn't like it - this way, a loco DLC will be able to add substantial meaningful new scenarios. Note: no loco DLC currently planned, this is not a hint :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 16
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  7. DTG Matt

To be fair - I built both HMA and CRR service modes... so I wouldn't take my word as meaning anything at all, wait and judge for yourself :)

I am very proud of what the team puts together, and have been *really* enjoying running CRR lately though, I find it to be a really fascinating railroad and a really interesting drive with some interesting locomotives :)

Matt.

• Like Like x 20
  8. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

I didn't get to see the whole stream(youtube issues),early on matt said the caboose was kinda like passenger car inside,so that made it sound like you could go inside it,is that right?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Of course... but I'm pretty sure this one is ideal for some larger fleet. Probably some high-nose geeps :D

• Like Like x 5
  10. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Either that or a U36C which would be cool too!

• Like Like x 4
  11. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Never even crossed my mind.:)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

And now, the Clinchfield Railroad Preview Video is on Youtube

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  13. DTG Matt

Refresh. it's a 1080p video but if you got there before it had finished HD processing you would have only got the SD version. It's showing 1080p for me now.

• Like Like x 5
  14. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Beyond excited for this one!!!

• Like Like x 2
  15. kuchen0125

kuchen0125 Active Member

It looks fantastic. Much better than the Arosa Line from Rivet Games. There are two worlds...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Just a little snippet of info from the video regarding route length. The map in TSW differs from the one in TS as it added 2 main branch lines (Freemont & Nora which are 14miles & 6.5 miles respectively). In total from north to south including the branches we are looking at around 65 miles making it the 'longest' route in TSW/TSW2 to date

upload_2021-3-31_8-0-32.png

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 10
  17. skyMutt

skyMutt Well-Known Member

Even though I originally had no intention to pick up Clinchfield, after the preview all I can think of was four words:
    Wow. That looks good. :o

• Like Like x 11
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Bad thing first:
    Scenery popping out close to the train sometimes.

Good things:
    Mentioned Pick Ups & Set Outs (during services) - what is very much into US freight operations.
    ... waste of time

THIS-IS-AMAZING!!! :o

• Like Like x 5
  19. JGRudnick

JGRudnick Well-Known Member

Watching the preview now, and I'm excited!! Scenery looks good, although it is very reminiscent of SPG (which isn't bad since it is only a few hundred miles away).

The modelling of the F7 looks good, I love the working class lights, and it is appropriately grimy. The M5 horn sounds okay, but not excitingly great, but the engines sounds have exceeded my expectations.

The SD40s look good, but they seem pretty clean, which is acceptable as the CRR was probably in the process of repainting locos into the black in that time frame from the gray/yellow.
    Freight cars look good as well (at least the boxcars and reefers anyway). The locking mechanism on the reefers is neat. It would've been neat to have some loads inside of the cars for loaded cars. Can't really hear the SD40 too well, so I can't judge it yet. But it does have the same awful K5LA horn. ***Matt did say in the "stream" that they will add an RS3L to the SD40 when it is ready.***

The caboose is pretty cool and looks like it would be a neat place to take a casual ride along the route.

I am also disappointed that there is no engine room for either the F7 or the SD40. I also didn't see any operational marker lights on the SD40.

The flyover of Elkhorn looks good, it looks like a picture I have of the area in 2005. The Pool Point trestle looks fabulous! They didn't get to the Skaggs Hole bridge, which is a cool bridge in that it extends twelve feet into Skaggs Tunnel.

• Like Like x 3
  20. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Pool Point trestle took me breath away!

I am so very impressed. The route appears to have raised the bar in terms of scenery and timetable services with variable meets on a single track main.

Interestingly, the F7 horn sounded better to me from inside the cab. I look forward to to the RS3L for the SD 40. I also can’t wait to drive the F7 and lap some brakes or take a caboose ride.

Very excited about this. SPG is now much improved from TSW and CRR looks like it is the next step up for US freight on multiple fronts.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  21. ILied

ILied Active Member

Good luck with the nora turn fix!

I’m sorry you are put in this position! It is nice to get more services in the timetable to flesh out the route without needing an extra DOC, especially if there isn’t a performance hit.

22. mattdsoares

mattdsoares Well-Known Member

Looks pretty good. Also makes Rivet's Arosa line really stand out for the horrible scenery.

• Like Like x 4
  23. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I am really looking forward to this when it releases, I was impressed with what I saw on the stream today. Too bad for the glitches that prevented it from being a live stream.

• Like Like x 3
  24. Crosstie

The route looks absolutely fantastic, the team have really nailed it in my opinion. I was hoping for a release date, but Clinchfield has been so long in the making, I can wait a little longer while they polish it up. The only element that doesn't appear is the use of helper locos, which were certainly part of the real train operations. Because the stream was curtailed, I couldn't ask about this. Of course, the caboose is a very nice treat. Is this a trade-off I wonder?

• Like Like x 2
  25. DTG Matt

There are a couple of southbound freights which have "pushers" on the back, yes.

• Like Like x 12
  26. wxtr7

wxtr7 Well-Known Member

I must say this route looks absolutely amazing. I know Matt has a beefier graphics card, but for running a dev build the performance seemed really good. I personally don't care about maintaining 60 fps, just that it runs smoothly in general. The loco models look really good too, and I'm looking forward to the seeing how the older style locos worked, since I'm into the more modern traction. Well done overall though!

A few concerns though after watching...
    I am disappointed in the sounds (but that will always be my #1 critique), but I also 100% understand the limitations given the state of the world right now. Hopefully those will get updated someday (soon). And I'm not referring to the horns, I'm more into the engine sounds, though I can still appreciate the need for better horns. Biggest thing I've noticed sound lacks is depth and bass (just in general, not necessarily with this route). I didn't have my headphones watching the stream tonight, so I don't know how well the mixing is yet, so full judgement shall be reserved until I download it myself.
    Also the lack of the engine room, at least on the F7. I wasn't expecting it, but one can hope :)

The other trend in the last few American routes has been a reduction in the number of active buttons (i.e, the only interactive ones are the ones you really need). IIRC, the MP36 on Penn Corridor, almost the entire breaker panel is just a texture, and it looks like the SD40 here is too. Even worse, the texture has all the breaker switches in the 'off' position, which is really weird to see. I don't know how much of this is interactable, but it looks like most of this box is just a static texture, and I'll assume the F7 is the same way. I really hope I'm wrong about this though. The SPG locos are really nice in that at least every button can be interacted with.

upload_2021-3-20_21-57-41.png

• Like Like x 2
  27. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Mind you, the compression codec used on the audio track of most streaming videos nerfs bass frequencies

• Like Like x 1
  28. Crosstie

Great! That's what I was hoping to hear. It makes the route pretty close to perfect. Now, about that loco dlc.....:)

• Like Like x 6
  29. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Banking comms had better work.....

High NOSE! High NOSE! High NOSE!

• Like Like x 1
  30. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

The texturing in the cab of the F7 doesn't look fantastic. I definitely understand and appreciate the difficulty in getting reference material, but the textures themselves look like they need to be bigger and a little crisper.

The externals look fantastic, and the scenery is beautiful.

• Like Like x 2
  31. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

It’s good to see the steady improvement with each route released.
    The graphics team have done a great job.

• Like Like x 2
  32. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So finally got around to watching that preview, I'm liking most of what I've seen so far, and my only complains are really just small nitpicks.

1. Both locos should come in both schemes, still really my only grip with this DLC is that the SD40 is only gonna be in Black Scheme and the F7 is only gonna be in the Grey Scheme, slightly disappointed in that...

2. Not much variety in the manifest trains. Another minor gripe is that the manifest trains will be made up of mostly boxcars and reefers, with some coal hoppers thrown in. Would of been nice for something like a covered hopper, low gondola, or a period accurate tank car to be thrown in as well. Hopefully this is fixed with a future loco DLC.

• Like Like x 4
  33. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

I'm not surprise about it using the old F7 sounds, but still a tad disappointing nonetheless, at least the horn's decent. With that said I agree with everyone else that the route itself is outstanding, no complaints I can think from the footage they've shown honestly. Also sounds aside I think the F7's pretty good, I like the option between manual and auto shifting in particular, even if it doesn't seem like it Clinchfield itself will make huge use out of it considering the slow speed.

I also gotta say the service mode is looking fantastic, really like that it's all gonna be pretty much all unique. Don't really have a problem with it having a small amount of services either. Sure 300's nice to have, but they're mostly gonna be repeats, when you look at how many are truly unique you're not getting much more than Clinchfield.

I've gotta say I'm now seriously considering grabbing this route, this seems to be a meaningful upgrade over the TS Classic version.

• Like Like x 5
  34. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

Fortunately we have senario planner,livery editior and if necessary off the rails mode to fill in some of crr short comings at least until dtg can do some proper crr dlc add ons.

35. byeo

byeo Well-Known Member

US freight isn’t my thing really, I get bored of it after a while but I must say. This route looks lovely, the F7 looks fun to drive and the scenery looks to be very well done.

From what I’ve seen I can say well done DTG.

We just need a US passenger route now. ;)

• Like Like x 4
  36. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Another thought on the services... how are complex scripted activities going to stand up under the flakey save/load mechanism which frequently wipes out the timetable and AI, signalling etc. when trying to resume a run on existing routes?

37. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

This looks really very good indeed.

I wasn’t fussed by it for TS1, so when it was announced for TSW it was one I was going to miss. Having recently rediscovered SPG & the -8, and seeing the quality of the building in CRR I think it might have just become a pre-order.

Looking forward to it!

• Like Like x 4
  38. dreampage

dreampage Well-Known Member

I don't really like either freight trains or historic locomotives. But this route looks and feels awesome and I'm almost already sold on it. Well done to the team, I just watched the video and it's very, very nice. The scenery is awesome, the rolling stock is very well modeled, the sounds are great and there's so much gameplay in there, looks quite tricky, too. I'm sure it will be a great addition to TSW 2.

• Like Like x 4
  39. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

Isn’t it nice to have a pre-release stream (let’s call it that) where it looks great, plays great, isn’t full if obvious mistakes and everyone is positive about it?

Happy Days!

• Like Like x 6
  40. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

My god DTG !!!

You were only 50% of your capacity for US roads!

It is the most beautiful road I have seen on TSW, it is just magnificent, the rolling stock is splendid.
    Say; added a cup of coffee and some croissants in the pod if you have the time it looks great and being able to travel inside as a passenger is going to be awesome.

The mountains are beautifully detailed, the rocks, the vegetation, the rivers, everything, absolutely everything is perfect.

I also see that we will have a huge amount of different scenarios, there will be so much to do on this road.

I said I'll be ruthless with you if you screw this road up, but I have to say the ...
    Yes you nail my mouth, thank you, thank you very much for all that, thank you for listening to us and correcting you.

I can not wait .

• Like Like x 3
  41. formulabee#1362

formulabee#1362 Well-Known Member

I must say, the cabs looked good and highly detailed, much better than the arosa line
    And then 62 miles- that’s a RECORD for the longest TSW route!

• Like Like x 3
  42. whiteleym#4287

whiteleym#4287 Active Member

Well I was originally going to buy Arosa over Clinchfield, however after watching the streams* I'll most certainly be getting this instead!

• Like Like x 1
  43. GuitarMan

GuitarMan Well-Known Member

Did I see a working mirror texture on the SD-40 when driving through the cutting with the head out of the window?

• Like Like x 3
  44. Task

Task Well-Known Member

I just hope you also had time to do the service mode for Hamburg - Lübeck then ;)

• Like Like x 5
  45. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Yes you don't dream

46. Agent Qracle RUS

Agent Qracle RUS Well-Known Member

I am glad that at last the next American route, but the fact that it is purely cargo and low speeds is upsetting (I stupidly fall asleep from such routes). I really want the Amtrak passenger route)

• Like Like x 1
  47. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

If they spilt every service in half, than there would be twice as many services......
    Keep in mind that one service isn't (mostly) just A-B and thats it, one service can be an ABCD Service, so from Dante to somewhere (in dont know the Area), then up a branch and collecting wagons, then it continues to the next and collects/drops some wagons etc, everything as one timetable service . So one service on CRR would normally have been 3-4 on previous routes.

48. longo239

longo239 Well-Known Member

The route looks good, but please sort the map out!

All well and good rattling on about this loop and that branch, but without any sort of labelling all you actually get to see is something you would expect from giving a toddler a crayon!

• Like Like x 3
  49. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Some service sequences (big local tasks/trains) are up to 8 parts. It looks like a part is here about ~1h activity.
    So, if problems occur ( did they? :D ), we will lose less of our effort.

The level of complexity and interaction (set-outs of one service are pick-ups for another) could be a threat.
    They did it well in the case of 363. Let us be of good cheer \o/

oh yeah

• Like Like x 1
  50. Dave Mel

Dave Mel Well-Known Member

[ think im sold on this route. i was going to buy Arosa and not get Clinchfield but after seeing this video im now sold on this route. one thing i did notice is on the F7 when using power it wasnt showing on the hud and i couldnt hear the SD40 sounds.
    Matt did say this was a Dev build but still im sold into buying this route. Arosa will have to wait until sales as i found the scenery very disappointing

• Like Like x 2