Union Pacific Moffat Subdivision

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by MasterofTrains, Apr 2, 2018.

?
  1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Nope

2 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. MasterofTrains

MasterofTrains Member

Union Pacific is a class 1 railroad. The railroad serves 23 states. Their Moffat Subdivision in between Fraser CO and Denver CO.about 75 miles of rugged moutains.

[​IMG]
    The route starts in Fraser Colorado where Amtrak Californa Zyphers make a stop going both ways. Fraser has a side track.
    [​IMG]

The next landmark is the massive Moffat Tunnel. The tunnel is 6.2 miles long and clogged with fumes. When riding the Zypher passing between cars is not allowed in the tunnel.
    [​IMG]

The rest of the route is Amazing sencery and landscapes. The route is a steep climb with the track constanly turning and twisting upgrade. Besides moffat there are several tunnels along the route. Most of the route is one track which calls for siding often. Trains often pass so there are many sidings.

[​IMG]

Then the route ends in Union Pacifics' massive Denver yards.
    [​IMG]

BNSF also has a yard in denver leading on the Moffat Subdivsion

Operations
    [​IMG]

The operations will consist of yard work for BNSF and UP in Denver running the Californa Zypher and Amtraks' winter train carring Skiers to Winter Park.
    Union Pacific has a standard set of trains that run over the Subdivison.
    6 manifests
    18 empty and load coal trains travel up the pass usally 4 or 5 in 24hrs will be seen. (Example you choose a loaded coal you will lead or follow another one and pass 2 or 3 empty ones)
    Some oil trains run over the pass as well
    BNSF has 4 manifest that travel over the pass as well.

In the winter the pass is very windy. UP puts loaded hoppers on extra 3rd tracks on some sidings to prevent the wind form knocking trains over moving these cars to their locations could be a possible operation to add.

Rolling Stock
    [​IMG]
    The EMD Power in UP and BNSF schemes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    AC4400 and AC6000
    [​IMG]
    AC45CCTE
    Most of the locomotives above can be in UP and BNSF colors.
    [​IMG]
    Most of the freight cars above would be on the manifests.
    [​IMG]
    Coal cars.
    Amtrak equiment will be needed but has been suggested many times.
    The route has switching,passenger, and mainline freight. The route has sencery that will be different from season to season. And tough 2 precent grades and the long Moffat tunnel.

• Like Like x 8
  2. NorthRail1

NorthRail1 Well-Known Member

This route should definitely be added to TSW. It will allow them to add BNSF and Union Pacific at the same time along with the Amtrak P42DC, the route would also supply some great scenery as well.

The only problem would be the BNSF licensing which some people would complain about. Personally, I don't mind an unbranded BNSF train, it's much better than boycotting BNSF because of the licensing situation

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

Agreed this route should be added in the near future.
    And that's where the problem hits. But actually, it could be only UP Equipment because this is mostly Rio Grande territory. Also, the Zephyr would be a good idea for the Amtrak Genesis and Superliner Fleet as a bonus.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  4. MasterofTrains

MasterofTrains Member

BNSF is the only problem. But unbranded or just no BNSF at all would work.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I would like to see this added at some point, but it would probably not have the BNSF stock. Just the UP stock and Amtrak which still will be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  6. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

Cool Idea! We need BNSF though. UP would be great. Maybe this route could also be set in Rio Grande days with Amtrak's CZ with F40PHs, an SD40T-2, a GP40-2, and maybe an SD50, GP9, SD7, or SD9. The route should also include D&RGW freight cars and a caboose.

7. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

BNSF will not happen due to restrictions cannot be sold outside the US, at this point I think DTG would rather include stock that everyone can use.

8. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

I would certainly enjoy this route. I really like the idea of a single track line, maybe I'm weird, but the need to pull into a siding and wait for a passing train just seems to make it more "real" to me. Having Sand Patch all double track really takes a lot of enjoyment out of it, there just isn't much to do.

I have to say however that we already have a lot of mountain routes, I really want to see a midwest route, in particular one close to home in Missouri would be ideal!