Train Sim World 2 - Climb Aboard The Clinchfield

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Apr 8, 2021.

1. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

Read the article here.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 16
  2. MetrolinkF125#916

MetrolinkF125#916 Well-Known Member

My oh my, that is a very nice route!:D

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

After 1h of gameplay - TOP1 DLC for me. Everything is crackling, creaking, old and dirty. Poetry.
    PS The sounds of rolling wagons are probably a very, very fresh mix. Very nice, juicy!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  4. Blackwolf

Blackwolf Member

I like it. Played it couple of hours today. In the F7.
    Here you need patience and the pase is totaly different to SEHS.
    A bit Odd brake om the F7 but I will figure it out.
    The only thing is a bit more freight cars mabye.
    Now there is only Boxcar, Gondolas and Carboose. But this is looking very promising.

5. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

I’m not really into American Railways but I can see myself trying this one out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

First impressions, after an hour

Haven't even driven, yet, just climbed on the caboose and played tourist.

1) Best looking route DTG have produced to date. Not even close. I have always liked SPG, but CRR has that beat hollow. New trees, new rock textures and formations, vegetation density- even the water looks better (I don't think they have changed the programming, but just making the color muddy green makes it more real, and shows the ripple effect better).

2) All that scenery does come at a performance cost. The eastern end of HMA is a positive speed demon by comparison

3) Rolling stock, very high standard. Even the animations of the trucks as the hoppers slowly roll by. Also the F7s pumping out thick greasy black smoke under heavy load, lightening to blue-gray as the work eases up.

4) F7 horn- 'nuff said.

5) Probably has more custom "hero" buildings and structures than any other route in TSW. Certainly it's the longest, adding branches and main line.

6) People who hate SPG ain't gonna like this one.

I'm sure there are bugs. I'm sure I will file a ticket or two. But DAMN, it looks good!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  7. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Fantastic route. Really lives up to the hype IMO.

• Like Like x 4
  8. kgsim#8745

kgsim#8745 New Member

This isn't a reply but how do I get this dwnloaded on my PS4 after I purchased it

9. LiquidShadows

LiquidShadows Well-Known Member

There are two ways:

1.) Go into the PlayStation Store, look up the Clinchfield route DLC and click download.

2.) Go to the TSW2 game (but don't start it yet) on the PS4 home screen, scroll down to your purchased DLC's, find the Clinchfield route, select it and click download.

• Like Like x 1
  10. georgian22

georgian22 New Member

Question, for anyone. Is there a manual, if so, where is it available? I searched, but no luck. Probably an oversight on my part. Thanks

• Like Like x 2
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

First impressions.

At the beginning: I do not have LGV or SEHS - they are neither German nor American *
    in fact, I cannot afford it

SKA was a very positive surprise, which was not able to prepare me for the shock after the collision with HMA (just WOW!).
    Here I would like to refer from time to time to the Sand Patch Grade version TSW 2 ('remastered') and the two fresh locomotives: Dash 8 and 363.

If someone was afraid of SPG carbon paper, they can breathe a sigh of relief. This is a very different route. The scenery is beautiful. Lovely. Mostly (99%!) very polished, full of details that please the eye. It is not monotonous. The SPG (which I love very much!) is big. The sweeping panorama, gigantic (and equally empty...) Cumberland Yard. Completely something else. Everything here is closer to the tracks, closer to us. Trees, grass (lots of grass!), beautiful rock formations. The CRR undoubtedly has an IDENTITY. You want to be there. Everything is so tangible. I walk slowly between the wagons. I would like to touch them. Very immersive. YT videos and screenshots do not fully reflect this beauty. DTG created a nice virtual world this time (not for the first time, I know...). Cameral Beauty.

Authenticity. I am often not satisfied with the audio setting. I haven't danced with the SD-40 yet, but the F7 is very appetizing. It gurgles. Feel the power. Maybe I'm too excited and biased right now, but rolling stock sounds better. Wagons creak. The hiss of valves. Maybe that's the impression, maybe they turned it all up a bit. It is very good. I wouldn't be able to pick on myself, although I like to do it. I cannot say that these sounds resemble real ones, but they are appropriate. The F7 mimics the old diesel very well. Muah!

The ambient sounds are good. Bring the scene to life. The mine rustless with dignity. There are production noises. You could pick on a few too-modern sounds (huh), but that doesn't affect the quality in any way. Feels great.

A separate paragraph for the F7' in-cab sounds: phenomenal!

Starring. F7. I will compare with the mentioned Dash 8 and 363. Unfortunately, it is not the level of 363. Someone will say - this locomotive looked like this (I mean the level of complexity, inside - it's a beautiful machine, I know!) And it's not her fault. OK. I understand. But - lighting. I worked in the printing industry for a long time. There was something about lumens... It's too bright. The light color is too 'blue' in my opinion. Such an old-school madame deserves a more atmospheric interior (EDIT this is an individual question - I would not attach importance to my opinion here). These are not allegations. 363 looks better inside in my opinion. PAX. It's very nice from the outside. The number of details - DTG Top Notch 3D modeling is undisputed. Same old story here.

Physics. Simulation. I'm not an engineer. I could compare it with my imagination or other games. My opinion - a revelation. The last time I felt the train was heavy was Tees Valley Line premiere. The audio luminaire perfectly harmonizes with the views outside the window. At times it is really steep and you can see, hear and feel it. F7 releases power with a delay. Very immersive. It is worth buying CRR at this price only for HER. Several people complained about the brakes. Here the DTG should be flogged. For most of us, it's not a problem to switch this and that, but, gentlemen, let's be serious. You dirty your creation, your image, unnecessarily. Several people have already cried out on Steam. Why isn't it set up well in the tutorial? Who cares. Git Gud next time.

But in this matter, CRR shines. I have been wondering for a long time whether physics in TSW is a separate 'layer of code', or whether it belongs to a locomotive. The Dash 8 seems to me to be 'improved' over the AC4400 at times. It's even better here. But I can be wrong. Maybe it is all thanks to the very good audio? The brakes have a proper lag. This reminds me of the 423 from the HMA. Maybe the same well-known person messed with it. Anyway - it turned out great. Loading coal up the hill - great fun. You have to work with the throttle all the time. I minimize the game to the desktop now less often.

Grumble. Anything below would not lower my grade by even 0.5, but I will mention few things:

The bell ropes are slightly obstructing the speedometer. Annoying, sometimes, when no HUD.

The sound creaks a little at times, but I guess it's a matter of computing power. This route is eating up my poor laptop. But it looks crazy. There have been some philosophical disputes about beauty recently. I will express my opinion once again: CRR looks insane and this is what TSW should look like. That's it. No more drama!

Another fairy tale. Gameplay. The first scenario - a miracle. What next - I don't know. I'm not going to sleep today.
    Still, probably not for everyone - low speed, single track.

SUMMARY: 11/10

Don't compare it to the holly SPG.
    CRR is where we enter the champions league.
    HMA dethroned (although it's hard to compare these two DLCs).

The job is exemplary. It is probably even too cheap... :D
    On PC, the price is right, but maybe on consoles? OK OK OK I don't say anything anymore...

DTG won \o/
    BR o7

PS

If you have problems - ask on the forum. Manuals are not DTG style :D

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 12
  12. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

Quick thing to mention... On the preview stream you were able to use the external camera while going through tunnels, but in-game, I'm unable to do this, and I instead have to wait for the ENTIRE TRAIN to be out of the tunnel to use the external camera. I miss a lot of good viewing and screenshot opportunities because I'm stuck in the cab. And I won't complain if the camera clips through objects occasionally. I'm also getting some audio bugs which force me to go into free camera to a distance where the train doesn't load, then coming back to reset audio looping and clipping. This is a core game issue though. Also memory optimizations, and fixing save bugs would help as well on my old Xbox One S. Besides all of this, I'm finding the route quite enjoyable, definitely going to be one of my favorites.

• Like Like x 6
  13. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Very nice review, breblimator. And I was very impressed with Matt's stream this afternoon. I haven't played the route yet, it just downloaded. But I noticed one thing that I know will bug me, though not a game breaker by any means. That headlight on the F7 should be lighting up the entire State of Virginia, but it barely registers from even a short distance. I know the headlight thing is a known issue and MP has explained it, but it does bug me. Somehow, it doesn't seem as noticeable on SPG or maybe I've gotten used to it.

• Like Like x 2
  14. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

Excellent review! Would you consider posting it on Steam. It is amazing to me that DTG has crushed it with this route and the current reviews on Steam are mixed. I can't wait to toy with the dispatcher on this one!

• Like Like x 2
  15. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Hah! I would have to modify the one already placed... :)
    A small slip-up with the brakes in the tutorial. Should this surprise us? I am charmed \o/

PS

Well, you'd better play sitting. There is power!
    I also recommend ultra-precision in scenarios. Well, unless someone likes SPG BUGs...

Thanks for the kind word, gentlemen! Better praise DTG :) * this time <<<

• Like Like x 1
  16. solicitr

What gets me is that the negative reviews are about the same trivial picky crap we get so much of on here: "horn lacks reverberation" and so on. As I said there, the House of Windsor could learn about entitlement from these Karens.

• Like Like x 6
  17. solicitr

breblimator: "
    Hah! I would have to modify the one already placed... :)
    Masterpiece. Eat the coal, feel the grade."

Oh, no. That one is a quip. Replace it with this one: it's an encomium! The one that will really make readers want to buy CRR.

• Like Like x 2
  18. breblimator

breblimator Guest

As I am excited, I share it here with other passionate people. But it's a pity, these unfavorable opinions there, due to small mishaps.
    Maybe I'll paste it if that's your advice, guys. Steam is just a soulless store.
    Probably it has to be done, hah!

I am very happy, you all are also enchanted. Let me just remind you that the soundtrack should be properly adjusted!
    I am inclined to the recommendation made by solicitr: The Steeldrivers <3

• Like Like x 2
  19. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

If you are inclined, I think posting your review on Steam would be great. And the perfect title for the review would be:

“Masterpiece. Eat the coal, feel the grade.”

• Like Like x 3
  20. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I've only touched on the tutorials so far...but I can undoubtedly say this is one impressive looking route. After the disappointment across the board with Arosa's scenery, this is a great antidote. Well done DTG

• Like Like x 3
  21. Stephen Crofts

Stephen Crofts Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed this too (PS4). Having heard it on the stream it was the first thing I wanted to try out. But I got sent back to the drivers chair as usual. Started wondering if this was a console thing after seeing the stream previously.

As others have said the route is fantastic, but I wonder if I'm missing an option regarding cameras and tunnels.

22. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I agree. What is missing is more baked shading (ambient occlusion) so the interior looks unusually bright. Mind you, it already has some, but not as much as what makes the 363 look so delectable. I also notice that the textures seem to be lower resolution? I am not sure if it is my eyes playing tricks on me or not, but things like the horn handle are especially noticeably low-quality because it is right up in your face.

Another thing is I was shocked by the framerates when I loaded in. I was getting something like 30FPS with my RTX 3080 pegged at 100% utilisation! I must have an Engine.ini tweak that this route particularly hates... I suspect it might be grass density.

Other than that, I have been enjoying it greatly. It is absolutely not a Sandpatch clone—it really does have its own unique atmosphere. The F7 is naturally the star of the show, but the SD40 feels surprisingly new as well; the toothpaste green interior gives me nostalgia for a bygone SP era. Fantastic work all-around, and well deserving of the praise. :)

Cheers

• Like Like x 3
  23. solicitr

Just finished the first scenario, Limited Power: WOW! DTG seem to have raised their game in the game design department, as well.
    I love that immediately after the F7 tutorial they throw you into a really dicey situation, trying to shunt and load hoppers on a 3.4% grade with nowt but two F-units for traction- and once you have wrestled them (and the caboose) back into a train, then you have to hold that ridiculous heavy tail back down that grade. Fun!

(I made it harder/more interesting for myself, not realizing that once loaded, nothing will hold the hoppers on that hillside short of 100% train brake. Well, I almost got a runaway, got it back under control (engines screaming, motors redlined, pouring sand and wrestling with wheelslip)- but by the time I got it stopped, it had backed down through the switch that covers the runaround siding. And there is no way on God's green earth that the traction you have can budge that entire consist, loaded, up that hill. So I wound up splitting the train and choreographing my own shunting dance to get everything back where it needed to be so I could head it up for the return trip.)

Oh- and dogwood trees! DTG added dogwoods to their foliage repertoire! No Virginian could mistake that twisted trunk and branches, and a forest ain't Virginia without 'em.

Man, I am loving this route!

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  24. uvm0902

uvm0902 Well-Known Member

Just a masterpiece! DTG thanks for your work. I like it very much. I am only at the beginning of the journey, but I am already ecstatic. Each new route is getting better. I'm looking forward to future releases.

• Like Like x 3
  25. jeremydunn8

jeremydunn8 Well-Known Member

You know what, my guess is that since it’s a core game thing, it will be fixed in the next game update as opposed to being just a Clinchfield thing.

26. DXR8002

DXR8002 Well-Known Member

I agree with the sentiments of my fellow train nerds. This route is LEAGUES ahead of the rest, absolutely stunning on PS5. It will be hard to go back to other routes, think I'll be sticking with Clinchfield for the foreseeable. Excellent job DTG.

• Like Like x 3
  27. Callum B.

Coming back here to confirm that, yes, turning up the grass density in your Engine.ini will tank your framerate, similar to Arosa. I had previously set it to 5, which resulted in 20(!)-50 FPS. Part of the reason for the huge performance drop is the locomotive headlights casting shadows on all of the grass. Turning it back down to the default 1 restores my framerates to the proper 60-90. :)

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  28. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

btw the tunnel bug camera is also on PC

29. rich.cooke

rich.cooke New Member

Could anyone say Clinchfield has Raildriver support.

Thanks

30. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

And foliage.DensityScale? Or just "something with grass"?

31. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 2
  32. Callum B.

grass.densityScale
    I don't know if a foliage.DensityScale exists, but if it does I don't use it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  33. Richard CZE

Richard CZE Well-Known Member

I went my first trip yesterday. On my PS4 pro game runs very well. The track is very nice and I'm excited about the locomotives. Excellent work DTG.

• Like Like x 2
  34. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

Hello.

I really like the road, it is very beautiful, the atmosphere is great, I have not seen any "bugs" along the route (except for the brakes and the sounds !!) and the trains are superb.

But even if I like it a lot, it is sorely lacking in life on this road !!

I mean, there is nobody at the different depots and at the different mines, there is a lack of workers like on TS.
    We are alone in the world, not a prominent person on all the road, no cars moving or at worst stopped at the level crossing.

We are in the middle of the forest, you could have put one or two deer or some birds (there is that on TS which at 10 years old !!!)

SVP DTG it is absolutely necessary that you add workers and cars on the roads because it is really too empty.

It is one of the most beautiful roads in the USA today, but it is also the most empty of life.

I am not disappointed, I really like the challenge but yes, there is nothing to see and the trouble is felt because apart from looking at trees there are no "surprises" to see.

• Like Like x 2
  35. Matto140

Matto140 Well-Known Member

If the one, reads lines above must regret that only manage to download route. Seems like I will have busy weekend on Clinchfield.

• Like Like x 2
  36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

RSN, in one of the yards, there are two workers talking to each other. The characters are animated.
    Maybe it was added with 363. You're right. Everyone's gone somewhere :)
    Try to configure other (trail) locos, because some default settings are not proper.

• Like Like x 3
  37. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

There was a time when I myself did the installation of workers and other small things to enhance the road on TS thanks to the editor.
    But on TSW2 I can't do it anymore.

DTG makes very beautiful roads but they do not "finish" at the level of "life" at the edge of the tracks.

On SPG there are people in the street in some places and a lot of parked or moving cars.
    On RSN you are right there are a few workers on the side of the tracks.
    This is the most beautiful road they have done but there is no "tips" to sharpen the road.
    The lack of road workers and cars at level crossings is a real shame.

A little mister DTG patch and this route will be perfect and a must have.

PS: for the brake I found the post thank you

• Like Like x 1
  38. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

I haven‘t been much on the forums since CRR‘s release. Guess what I‘ve been doing :D

My first impression (if you can call it such after ~ 8-10 hours) is incredibly positive. I think DTG really knocked this one out of the park. The sound, the scenery, the gameplay - all fantastic. Of course there are the usual issue like horns having no reverb or being a bit quiet etc., but those are really quite irrelevant compared to the general quality of CRR.

The F7 was paid the attention it deserved. It may not have an engine room, but it feels incredible. Need I mention the horn? I think we all know how amazing it turned out :D. The physics are equally good. I‘m not an engineer - I can‘t judge the accuracy of the physics - but they feel appropriate for such an old loco.

I haven‘t driven the SD40 a lot yet. But what I can say is this - I was afraid it would feel like a carbon copy of the CSX SD40-2 to me, but that old control stand and its inconveniences give it a lot of character and really set it apart from the Dash 2. Well done! Only thing missing is the promised new horn.

I think two words suffice to describe the awesome gameplay - Limited Power.

Last but not least - the scenery. Having never been to the States, I can‘t properly judge the accuracy, but holy smokes is Clinchfield gorgeous. The narrow valleys, the muddy water, the trees, the rock formations. Add to that locos which look proper dirty and used and you‘ve got a really visually stunning route.

My only compalint would be the somewhat poor performance (on a basic PS4), but that is an issue console fans of SPG are already used to.

My verdict: This is - for me - one of DTG‘s best routes. It may even be their best looking at all the points I raised. It was definitely worth the wait.

• Like Like x 4
  39. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Yes it does have raildriver support.

• Like Like x 1
  40. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  41. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

Absolutely have been enjoying this route, from passing small mining areas to loading coal on a 3.5 grade. This route is fantastic and I see myself spending a lot of time and having a lot of fun with this one. Love the fact that it launched with a mastery tier. Great job DTG!

• Like Like x 1
  42. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I have got one that falls into the realm of 'huh'. This is from the F7 intro and is, to me kinda funny. When you first climb into the cab all of your windows are clean. Then when I got down to do the switch before coupling to the hoppers and climbed back in, low and behold, all the windows were filthy. bandicam 2021-04-09 10-46-17-132.jpg bandicam 2021-04-09 10-53-34-733.jpg
    bandicam 2021-04-09 10-53-55-070.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  43. rich.cooke

rich.cooke New Member

Thanks Michael. That's good news.

44. solicitr

Welcome to Virginia in spring! DTG have very carefully modeled the fact that you can wash your windshield, and five minutes later it's caked with pollen again :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  45. dea0024

dea0024 New Member

I haven't noticed any whistle post's, just me?

46. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Yes it is very good but as posted elsewhere in the forum I feel it is the sounds that let it down a bit. This is primarily the lack of reverb in tunnels and tight cuttings which may be more of a game engine thing than route specific. I also didn't get much of a vibe from the track sound, needs a firm jointed track rhythm and copious squeal on the curves not to mention rumbling over bridges. I will listen again this evening to the ambient sounds but doing the tutorial at the coal loader, it seemed rather quiet for an industrial location.
    There should also be some hustle and bustle, workers moving around, coal trucks arriving and dumping coal for the tipplers etc., though maybe that is asking too much?

47. zawal.belili

zawal.belili Guest

A large portion of grass is missing towards Delano !!
    Is it normal or not?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the only place in 1 mile where there is no grass, so it's not very pretty.

I'm all in ultra and no stuff in the engine.

48. vogelm10

vogelm10 Well-Known Member

Not feeling it so far.....scenery is off, signal colors are way off, no whistle posts at all, nothing to do for scenario planner, just no. I'll play more tonight and see if it's any better.

49. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-9_17-53-54.png

DTG ya might want to remove the -2 in the pause menu

• Like Like x 2
  50. rich.cooke

rich.cooke New Member