Penzance To St. Austell And St. Ives.

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by nwp1, Apr 20, 2021.

1. nwp1

nwp1 Well-Known Member

This planned route by Rivet could be excellent and sounds an exciting release and will be awesome if their designers get the surroundings of Penzance and St. Ives to feel realistic and accurate. Looking forward to seeing the results of their work in about six to eight months time.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

As I've mentioned in the roadmap thread - this route despite looking really cool and probably making use of GWE stock leaves me very cold solely because of how Rivet handled feedback for Arosa, both before (especially the second stream) and after release. Especially surrounding the braking problems they put out a lie and doubled down on it despite messing up the physics themselves. And I don't even talk about how they brushed off the scenery critique. So if there's no epic change in their management of feedback... no thanks.

• Like Like x 28
  3. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

Same boat as you. I won't buy anything from rivet since they seem to enjoy lying to their customers and not owning up to mistakes.

• Like Like x 14
  4. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

They really need to come up trumps with the scenery in this one after Arosalinie, particularly given the number of UK users who might be familiar with the route. Learn lessons from DTG’s SEHS route and the criticisms that followed release. As well as Penzance and St Ives, they need to do a good job of e.g. St Michaels Mount, the coastline around Penzance and the St Ives route, Camborne Station (including the old Holman Brothers building), Truro Cathedral etc.

Get all this right before release and include some good trains (including the good old class 43) and it should be great.

• Like Like x 6
  5. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

We've seen how Rivet do there scenery, especially the distant scenery on Arosa and the sea textures on IOW. We've seen how they also just brush feedback under the carpet, they would really need to pull of the sea textures, especially on the St Ives branch. It's Either that, or with Rivets way of handling feedback, it would just be the bad scenery we have seen before. This would be incredibly disappointing. As this is also set in between 1970 and 1990, it would not surprise me if rolling stock is reused (class 101, 40, 37 and 52) which would be a real disappointment.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 9
  6. Geth_2234

Geth_2234 Well-Known Member

I really hope rivet can get this right this time this is one of my favourite routes in real life and I have travelled along it quite regularly so I'm very familiar with this route and I can't wait to see it im hoping we will have the class 150 in GWR livery, I don't really want to see anymore stock "reused " we've had a lot of that with new releases recently so it would be nice to see some new stock developed.

• Like Like x 3
  7. mrcharliemiggins2.0

mrcharliemiggins2.0 Well-Known Member

It has the prefix GGD-R5 01
    which means:
    Great Britain, Deisel Hydraulic, Diesel Electric - Route, 1951-1990
    So we won't get anything in GWR livery.
    If you want to see what the route codes mean you can find it on this post: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/cracking-the-code.25968/

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Geth_2234

Oh thanks for that i haven't seen that thread before so wasn't aware of what the codes meant. I'm not expecting any new stock then I can see rivet "reusing" stock to be completely honest I'm not expecting much going by past releases.:|

• Like Like x 1
  9. The fact that the route is set between the 50s and 90s seems to me like a cheap excuse to use existing stock and avoid having to create the class 150 or 142. I was very excited to drive the HST somewhere other than Paddington - Reading, but since it will look out of place here, I'll have to wait. This also seems like a convenient way to avoid making the Class 800, another beautiful GWR train, which you will know if you've ever been in one.

• Like Like x 10
  10. junior hornet

They need to get the sea right. This is the key feature of this route, particularly along the St Ives branch. Please Rivet, this route is in the planning stage. You have the chance to get this right first time. I’m really looking forward to this. Please don’t disappoint me.

• Like Like x 3
  11. OsamaBinLiftin

OsamaBinLiftin Active Member

yeah water graphics in this game are so much worse than even like GTA or TSxx, some of the previous worst offenders I've seen

• Like Like x 3
  12. ghawk2005

ghawk2005 Well-Known Member

I don’t understand why they don’t just go Penzance to Plymouth and do it properly. If it takes longer for research I wouldn’t mind. If it’s £30 / £35 instead of £25 I’d also not mind. Don’t understand why they’re stopping at Truro.... not even half way!

• Like Like x 8
  13. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

Well sea is a pretty significant key feature of the pier area of the Isle of Wight line as well, yet look how that turned out. Though I don't blame them on that one, it's up to the core game how the water looks.

Anyway as for me, I'm not too worried as I'm not interested in british stuff to begin with, but will be following just to see if they make a good job with the route or not.

14. Knightfire1964

Knightfire1964 Well-Known Member

yeah i find that we barely have any modern uk routes seem to just be sticking in the past and i would have preferred to have gone a bit further on the mainline if they wanted to do a branch line they could do a thing that i came up with which is a branch line pack so have all of the cornwall branches in one pack which would be nice

• Like Like x 7
  15. There better be some modern UK content announced on the 4th of May, as this is falling behind compared to all the modern German routes.

• Like Like x 10
  16. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

There had better be a modern Northern Route soon

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Class 50 would be right at home on this, a truly entertaining machine, probably about time an older route was released again last few ECW and SEHS are modern day and Cathcart Circle is circa 2014 I think.

Cornish Mainline is seriously challenging to drive whatever the traction and the St Ives Branch is a stunner. I will hope Rivet have learnt a few things along the way and fingers crossed this is a turning point.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Modern UK routes:
    - Great Western
    - West Somerset (it's the line as it is now, even though it has preserved traction)
    - East Coastway
    - Bakerloo
    - Isle of Wight (was listed as era 7 - 2011+ - on the roadmap)
    - Southeastern High Speed
    - Cathcart Circle

Period UK routes:
    - Northern Trans Pennine
    - Tees Valley Line
    - West Cornwall Locals

Yeah, barely anything modern...

• Like Like x 20
  19. tubefan1973

tubefan1973 Well-Known Member

Modern from the north, No, the south, EVERYTHING U WANTED AND MORE

• Like Like x 4
  20. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Which one is the West Cornwall Locals route? Is this the newly announced one?

• Like Like x 1
  21. Knightfire1964

yes it was in planning on todays roadmap

22. junior hornet

I’d love it to go to Plymouth but precedent seems to restrict the lengths of routes. At least we get the St Ives branch.

TS Classic has this route and the Falmouth branch and the freeware Railways of Devon and Cornwall has all the branches as well. Not great scenery on St Ives branch though. Gunnislake branch is pretty good though.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Knightfire1964

by modern i'm meaning modern locos bakerloo stock is old so is west sommerset as well as isle of wight

• Like Like x 4
  24. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Please don't use facts to justify your argument. This is totally not on!

Regardless of the build year of the stock, it's still modern if it is running today.

The problem with very new stock is the computers are a more fundamental part of the train, which is a lot more work for DTG. Cabs have become more complicated, and the trains have a lot more technology. I imagine this is the reason we've yet to see any very new stock.

• Like Like x 1
  25. james64

james64 Well-Known Member

I'm praying this isn't another BR Blue era route, it's just not my speed. I don't want Modern British routes to all be in South East England.

• Like Like x 7
  26. It seems that we have a different understanding of the word "modern" in this context.

The Class 483s running on the Island Line Date back over 80 years to 1938, the Class 47s running on West Somerset were built in the 60s, the Class 314 in Cathart Circle date back to 1979, and I think you can guess when the 1972 stock was built. On a side note, the HST was built in the late 70s / early 80s. These trains may have newer liveries, may be slightly refurbished, and the tracks they run on may be reinforced with concrete, but these is still extremely old stock.

With German content, on the other hand, you will struggle to find anything dating back earlier than the 90s. With these standards, we only have 2-3 truly modern UK routes: Southeastern High Speed, East Coastway, and Great Western Mainline (kinda). By the word "modern", I'm not talking about whether routes are set within the past decade, I'm talking about what the rolling stock and the line looks and feels like, so calling a heritage railway "modern" is not in my plans.

To give a feel of what I would consider "modern", I think that something like the inner London thameslink section has the look that I'm talking about, with recently built stations, such as blackfriars, as well as post 2000s rolling stock (class 700).

• Like Like x 12
  27. I don't think this is really the case, as all german content is modern and contains all kinds of computers and complicated systems like LZB.

• Like Like x 3
  28. Knightfire1964

yeah that's what i was trying to mean

• Like Like x 4
  29. james64

It seems that some people will be upset with the period either way. It's just a matter of which option makes less people unhappy.

• Like Like x 2
  30. Totally agree, if a non-British person played TSW they would think that us Brits just discovered electricity, and that we are running 50 years behind the rest of the world, which is sad considering that even Northern Rail is adquiring modern trains to replace Pacers and Class 150s.

• Like Like x 9
  31. LucasLCC

LucasLCC Well-Known Member

Not really. LZB is a safety system that dates back to the 70s. If DTG wants to do a High Speed German route then it's an issue they had to tackle. They've also successfully tackled the issue in the original TS.

New build UK stock has not made it into TS, so DTG have no prior experience. A class 80X whilst visibly similar to a 395 has far more complicated electrical systems (the computer is a key part of setting up the cab, but also functions such as speed set).

• Like Like x 1
  32. True, but if out of over 20 locos and MUs only 3 have been built after 1990, there's gonna be people complaining about not enough modern trains, and they're going to be right, it's just a matter of whether DTG feels like pleasing this people.

I have personally learned to appreciate the older stock, and it is very fun to drive for a while, but my interest for modern UK stock remains very much alive, and the future is not looking very bright for people like me in this game.

• Like Like x 5
  33. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

*Original paragraph deleted as I misinterpreted the extent of the route.*
    Having been pointed out to me the main line section includes Truro I am now quite piqued by the prospect of this route, lovely part of the world and could even be a day 1 purchase.
    As regards period, well BR Blue is my thing but the 101 definitely not right for the branch. A 117, a 121 bubble car (with or without trailer) or even a 120 would be more appropriate. However I do also see this as an opportunity to get either a 150 or 153 in the game which would justify a slightly higher asking price (god forbid they use the 166).
    So far as Rivet's competency is concerned, although I've yet to buy Arosa I've seen the pictures and read the PR they've put out. At least with this one there's no distant mountains to bork but as mentioned getting the sea right could present a bit of a challenge.

• Like Like x 1
  34. james64

Ummm did you forget the bit to Truro?

35. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I have and can remember the backache from the awful seats! It was quiet and smooth in diesel mode I will give you that but why designers seem to design these seats in trains with as little comfort as possible is beyond me, although the class 350 is even worse they might as well give you a pile of bricks to sit on.

Give me a nice mark 1 to mark 3 or even a DMU any time!

• Like Like x 4
  36. Geth_2234

Its such a nice route and a really nice opportunity here and rivets time to shine but as you say as it is now I do not feel they will do this route the justice it deserves. It is relatively unchanged over time so I completely agree from what we know so far it sounds like this will be a very half hearted approach and using the date as an excuse so they dont have to put effort into getting licenses etc and can reuse rolling stock again, DTG themselves even mentioned GWR were very cooperative and really helpful when gaining licences so this should not be a problem. its disappointing that at the moment it seems like not very much effort is gonna be put into this, I may be completely wrong but as it stands I'm not expecting much.

• Like Like x 2
  37. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Oops...
    In that case please disregard my section about value for money until I can edit the post.

38. You are totally right about PZB and LZB being quite old now, I just meant that the way it is displayed commonly involves a computer screen, and DTG have not had problems with that so far. I don't know to what extent computer systems are integrated to the train's function in the 80Xs, but a train is a train and if you can get the physics right and add a couple of safety systems, that's enough for it to be released, as they do not tend to dive into the more complex functions of the train.

I'm sure it would take lots of learning and discovering for the team to develop any post 2010s train, as you say, since they are so new, but I would encourage them to take the risk because lots of us are willing to pay the full price for a modern add-on, and they are going to have to take this step sooner or later, as they cannot be making old routes forever.

39. theorganist

It is from Truro I think although I suspect without the Falmouth branch. The class 118 would be even better than the class 117 as they were far more common down there and I think most of Laira bubble cars were class 122's although there were a couple of class 121's allocated there. A class 120 would be lovely but I can see the chances of one of those ever appearing in a train simulator as remote.

• Like Like x 1
  40. theorganist

Well presumably if they could read and could understand that the route was set in the 1970's or 1980's, which is in the capabilities of most people and can also use a computer and could see that we are about to dig up hundreds of miles of countryside to build a high speed line and have things like tilting trains and other modern trains, of which there is a good chance that their countries had sold to us as we make very few ourselves, then they probably wouldn't think that.

41. To be fair I did sit on in for only about an hour (Paddington to Oxford), but I found the quietness very relaxing and totally forgot about my seat, as I snoozed off to the beautiful sound of the motors. I've heard tons of criticism to these trains, and I'm sure some of it is justified, but you have to admit that the acceleration, and therefore shorter journey times are a nice upgrade to the good old Great Western Mainline.

I'm moving to Bristol soon and going to be using them a lot more often, so I'll get back to you if I ever change my mind!

42. james64

Here are my hopes for the route in terms of trains (as you know I'm hoping it's set around present day)

Class 150 DMU- An iconic DMU that would be perfect for stopping services and the branch line section.

Class 43 HST- In it's 4 coach "Castle Class" set.

Class 47/ 57 as an extra for the sleeper services.

A Class 158 would also be good, although it's more likely to be DLC.

• Like Like x 5
  43. theorganist

It was quiet but so is a mark 3 carriage. The seats were awful though and I would rather sacrifice a little bit of journey time and experience more comfort than having to sit in a seat which made you look like Quasimodo when you alight said train. Not that you should have to make that sacrifice.

Someone I am sure has been paid handsomely to design these clever ergonomic seats, obviously passenger comfort wasn't in their brief! Next time I use one I will take a rubber ring to sit on!

• Like Like x 2
  44. Geth_2234

Couldn't agree more these are old stock but they still operate on the route today but going by what we know so far rivet arnt putting much into this.

45. I was not talking about the routes set in the 80s, I was talking about routes such as the Bakerloo line, which is set in modern day but has 49 year old trains running on it, as well as Isle of Wight and Cathart Circle. I understand that many people do know about the existence of modern trains in the UK, but there is very little representation of these in TSW, and that was my main point.

• Like Like x 5
  46. Jpantera

Jpantera Well-Known Member

Seems to be a impossible to please some on here, my ultimate route would be the West Highland Line Late 80s 37/4s fully in charge or something similar but I would happily take a 90s version of that or something else similar. However if it doesnt come out I will survive, I still have TS1, I also have DVDs, youtube and the occasional trip up there on Railtours and the like for my fix.

The Chances of DTG doing the exact route that someone wants in the exact era with the exact correct rolling stock must be now close to a lottery win! Thats not a dig at DTG though they can only do so much.

No sense of entitlement here having been around since early railway simulation as well as modelling in various scales.

• Like Like x 1
  47. theorganist

Well we don't actually know anything about it apart from the area it covers so we can't really say they aren't putting much into this!

48. The route is set 1950 - 1990, so I find it extremely unlikely that the class 150 and 158 will make an appearance, as they entered service in the late 80s. Looking back, however, I must correct myself and admit that we will probably get the HST for this route, which is very nice.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  49. Geth_2234

We know its set between the 50s and 90s and rivet haven't had a very good track record.

• Like Like x 1
  50. Ben_Broomfield

Ben_Broomfield Well-Known Member

Mixed feelings on this.

Glad that part of GWML is back in TSW. And then that’s it.

Given Rivets attempt at Arosa, my confidence has slipped massively in the content they’ll pull out in the future.

Personally, I would of rather of seen EXD-PLY but PNZ-TRU will suffice. It being within the era of 1950-90 also reduces my interest slightly. Personally think there would of been a tonne of potential (plus potential for incorporation with GWE) regarding modern stock on the route, if that era was chosen.

I wanna be positive as it’s near to where I work for GWR, but then again looking at previous efforts, I don’t know. Have to wait for screenshots.

• Like Like x 11