Roadmap Update - 20th April 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Apr 20, 2021.

1. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

This is one of the downsides of the roadmap. We get this when it is first on the roadmap, then again when more details are announced, then again when we see the first screenshots, and yet again after the first preview video or stream, and it’s a long time between the roadmap inclusion and actually playing it. There are these first knee-jerk reactions, the ‘I’m not buying it’ posts, then endless debates about missing cab cars and what route something should be on instead, and it’s the wrong train anyway, and that it’s just a repaint, and the fence is wrong. That’s after the endless complaints that it hasn’t been released yet. I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a suggestion for a route extension to Paddington or Edinburgh by tomorrow and a list of loco DLC from the wrong era that we ‘must have’ lol. That may have already began???

Sometimes I think it might be better to go, BAM, this route releases tomorrow, here’s your first look at it. Of course we would then miss the good bits about the building of anticipation and planning future purchases, and we would have nothing to talk about. So maybe the roadmap isn’t to blame.

Oh I nearly forgot... and then we get to play it and that’s when the criticism really should begin but it’s almost like we are fed up of a route by that stage. I think Sam said something similar in the stream earlier.

• Like Like x 12
  2. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

IMO I prefer the 'old' routes, well UK anyway. I have a strong bias to the late 70's and 80's as it was the Era I travelled the most. And imo trains had more character. Some current day trains have 'quirks' like unique sounds and the like but I find the overhead lines really ugly.
    There is a hydrogen train operating near Birmingham I think, wouldn't mind seeing that one but everyone has their favourites and DTG shouldn't forget that.

3. Shaun123

Shaun123 Well-Known Member

So, just so I’ve got this right in my head, a route, that has only just been announced today, we have few details apart from the time period set, no screenshots, locos/DMU’s included, and already you’ve concluded, it’s one you going to wait for a sale.

Each to their own of course. But wow.

• Like Like x 5
  4. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I just wanted to say I agree with your post. positive thinking and optimism is lacking.

5. nockwurst

nockwurst Well-Known Member

Really think Dovetail rates us North Americans down hear the bottom, lol. Love the European routes but man it would be nice to see some of ours make the cut.

• Like Like x 2
  6. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

More locomotives, fewer routes! Can only see whether the roadmap of 2021.5.4 can have a new display!

7. volvolover1972

volvolover1972 Well-Known Member

You do realize the whole reason a roadmap exist now is because DTG used to handle new releases just as you described. Prior to the roadmap, most didn’t like DTG just posting a new route announcement with a few screenshots and the infamous Coming Soon™ when it’s obvious the route has been on development for months already. The result of this was a large time gap in between addons and people were constantly asking DTG to break the silence on what’s in development and what the next loco/route/DLC will be. Now with the roadmap, we at least have some information updated at a regular interval that tells us what’s going on at the DTG office. Unfortunately, with a roadmap will also come negative speculation, criticism of route choice, and the occasional unreasonable jumping to conclusions. In this case, it’s understandable why some are concerned about the new route since Rivet have now had two chances to show us what they can do in TSW and both have not been received well by the majority of the community.

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  8. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

I'll be honest, I would have liked to see a route from another region. We already have enough Germany, England and America. But I guess it won't happen because they think other regions don't sell :(

9. DB628

DB628 Well-Known Member

Germany is the best and we need more trains like ICE 1,2 Velaro and ICE 4 and many more.
    But I want see also the ÖBB for Österreich.

• Like Like x 1
  10. schorni

schorni Well-Known Member

Yes, ICE 1 or 2 would be nice.
    The wonderful ÖBB Railjet and Nightjet too.
    I would like to have something from Asia, but the chances are very small.

• Like Like x 1
  11. ScottN

ScottN Active Member

I'm just getting an update downloaded, I wonder what we got with this update

• Like Like x 1
  12. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

Yep because rivet makes it and I was let down twice already.

13. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Maybe to you, but this forum is full of different likes and dislikes, just because you find Germany the best, doesn't mean its the best for everyone else.

• Like Like x 9
  14. russianchip

russianchip Guest

They don’t have to say what’s coming, could just be “more news soon” I remember these days on Twitter when TSW was announced it was coming to Xbox. Unfortunately everyone would like they’re own version of the game. Personally I’m happy we’ve got a train sim on Xbox. Dovetail doing a great job involving the people who pay the wages, sensible approach.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

Oh god please not, but at least the Class 101 has 2 Cab cars :) kind of...

• Like Like x 3
  16. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

I am not judging the route, obviously it is impossible to do so as we haven't got any details apart from area and era. Apart from probably the distant scenery (a TSW issue) and the possible water quality (a TSW issue (I think)) I am sure the route will look nice, I like the IOW (apart from the water and distant scenery).

I am definitely interested in the era it is set in.

I guess I am just concerned that we get a lovely looking route, some decent loco's but the DMU will be just another version of the class 101, which would be incorrect. Although as it is Rivit making it they are likely to provide one new train so maybe it will be a new DMU.

DTG would quite happily never make another DMU and supply the class 101 with anything BR period. Because it is only a DMU, even thought they were probably the most vital train running on BR on non-electrified lines for 30 years and there were only around 30 different types of them!

The only reason we got more DMU's in TS1 was because they bought the IHH library which had four ready made DMU's in it and only two of those ever got released, maybe 3 as I am not sure if he modelled the class 121! We might have got a bubble car eventually as that is kind of iconic I suppose. Yet in TS1 the only mainline diesels which have never been available on steam are the smaller classes, the obscure or the short lived, although IHH filled the gap with some of those.

It is all just speculation, which can be fun anyway. It is the build up of the excitement and intrigue which is the reason for marketing, to whet the appetite and get people talking even if some of it leads to negativity. I am sure Rivit and DTG are aware of that.

I am just hoping what could be a lovely and interesting well made route spoilt by a lack of research because there is a ready made DMU available....and it is only a DMU at the end of the day, only the hardcore BR enthusiasts will care. It is clear many here think it is a fuss about nothing, either they just like driving trains or it is not their era so who cares. The same people have their own gripes which they like to air when they are dissatisfied!

The "1970's Western Diesel legends" pack for GWE is the example I am following. We had a change of ballast and a fence added on SEHS yet something as important as the staple commuter/local train on the GWML for 30 years is not important enough to get correct! That speaks volumes and if it is the precedent for historic routes and content in the future I will continue to use the apparently graphically inferior TS1 as I would rather run realistic operations than only be able to operate what DTG et al have deemed acceptable.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  17. dave from Cornwall

dave from Cornwall Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely if its set 1950-90

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  18. dave from Cornwall

Back in time there was a fair amount of freight in the Camborne-Redruth area, so those who like their freight fix, their might be the Holman Bro's shunting out of the foundry? Down at Hayle there was also some freight movement.

It will be interesting to see what Rivet do.

Their biggest issue if they to early into the 50-60's is that Rivet will have to model all the demolished stations of Gwinear and Chacewater as they had the branchlines to Helston and Newquay respectively.

So lets see what period they pluck for :)

D

• Like Like x 2
  19. Trainmania100

Trainmania100 Well-Known Member

Don't forget that dovetail are a UK company and there are travel restrictions imposed since last year to outside countries

20. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

As a Dutch player I think you have not much to complain. My guess is there will be an American passenger route in the Rush Hour release and you still have Cane Creek to look forward to. I do not want to complain and I love US routes as well, but DTG completely missed the opportunity for a Dutch route with TS, All Dutch routes are community routes of mostly excellent quality with some help from third party developers for mainly rolling stock.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

It might help a lot to get this Preserved collection moving if DTG would create some more marketing noice. I think Adams team deserves that. Why not make a nice trailer for the upgraded LIRR? It would create new business definitely. People would start playing it again and new people would buy the DLC. Besides, it makes value visible. One of the guys in Adams team is learning now some advanced stuff, we should worry he will be transferred to the core team as well. So it is important to make the business value of the preserved collection team clear.

• Like Like x 3
  22. theorganist

I am guessing the Falmouth branch will be conspicuous by its absence.

I think the biggest issue if it is set in the 50's will be they will need to build some steam engines pretty quickly :)! I am guessing the 1970's due to the reference to diesel hydraulics. Of course Sprinters use hydraulic transmission so maybe it could be later and include those.

It will be very interesting to see what develops.

• Like Like x 3
  23. dave from Cornwall

The Falmouth line will be seriously conspicuous, as they will have the develop the junction for it anyway.
    But the line from Truro to Penzance is still very pretty, with various speed changes.
    It is not a quick line, so trying to control the speed will be fun especially with all the bends :)
    Plenty of old mine engines to look at as well. Also will be interesting with Rivets dislike of distance modelling do they ignore the Carn Brea castle clearly seen from just outside Redruth Station?

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  24. theorganist

I hope we get a nice model of Pearson's Truro Cathedral too.

The Falmouth will be a big miss as you say there is the junction there which will need to be modelled. It would add a nice alternative branch to St. Ives with its viaducts and rolling hills.

• Like Like x 1
  25. dave from Cornwall

We will roughly get this view of the Cathedral...and not much else :( If the line ends at Truro.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  26. theorganist

Ah okay I hadn't realised how far away it was. I know there was a good view of it from the Newnham branch terminus although I guess that view might have been obliterated since the sixties when the film of it I saw was made.

• Like Like x 1
  27. dave from Cornwall

Again it depends on what timeline they do this line...they *could* do coal/freight down to the Newham terminal. It finally stopped in the 70's. Its now a really nice walk/Cycle around the back of Truro down to the river!

This picture is taken from the wrong side of the river, but very much near the terminus of the Newham branchline. Yes a cracking view of the Cathedral.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  28. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

The 101’s only ever went as far south at Plymouth from what I can find so including it would be an absolute disgrace

• Like Like x 3
  29. theorganist

They would have been seen west of Plymouth in the late 80's and early 90's as Laira had an allocation of 101's and 108's plus some 122's, they replaced the Skippers which had been sent up north in disgrace!

The earlier allocation in the area, which was very small would rarely have been seen at Truro or Penzance I would think and almost certainly not on the St Ives branch.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  30. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

People keep saying that they know that the route is set in the past. I’ve looked at the roadmap and Rivet Games web site and watched the stream last night and nowhere is the era mentioned as far as I can see. Where are people getting this information?

31. volvolover1972

The "GGD-R5 01" code next to its entry on the roadmap indicates 1950-1990

Source: https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/cracking-the-code.25968/

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  32. junior hornet

Thanks. That’s interesting. I must have missed this before. Looks like we won’t get the refurbished Class 43s then.
    Interesting to see that, going by the code, the motive power includes Diesel Electric. This isn’t an electrified route so I wonder what they mean by this. I know that Sprinters were used for a long time on this route. Also, depending on the exact era (1951 - 1990 is a long time) we could have the original Paxman Valenta powered Class 43s or class 37s maybe.

• Like Like x 1
  33. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Diesel-electric means a diesel engine turning a generator which powers electric traction motors- probably the most common diesel transmission in trains. Others would be diesel-mechanical (Class 101) and diesel-hydraulic (Class 42).

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  34. volvolover1972

Diesel Electric refers to a specific type of diesel loco in Britain. Basically it's just a diesel loco where the engine powers an electrical generator which then powers the traction motors. Compared to a regular diesel loco where the engine directly powers the traction motors. Examples of diesel electrics already in TSW are the 66 and 47.

• Like Like x 3
  35. junior hornet

Still hoping for the Pax Valenta 125 though, which started serving the west country in 1979. I suppose we won’t really know until we find out what part of the 40 year time span it is. I hope the later period. Must be post steam era though.

• Like Like x 1
  36. volvolover1972

One thing that's still unknown is will DTG allow Rivet to reuse stock in the new route? Like the 52, HST, and 47 already exist in TSW. But since DTG developed them and Rivet is making the route, you wouldn't think DTG would permit them to be included in the new route unless Rivet build their own HST, 52, or 47 from the ground up (unlikely). So the stock will be interesting especially if reused DTG-made locos are included in the route.

• Like Like x 1
  37. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

We don’t even know if these locos will be included yet , so we shouldn’t question anything yet

38. volvolover1972

That's my point. If Rivet are not allowed to reuse DTG locos, then we can expect all new trains that are not in TSW yet.

• Like Like x 1
  39. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

I mean, Skyhook Games are reusing the SD40-2 and AC4400CW for Cane Creek, so if the option is available, I don't see why Rivet Games cant use DTG stock for their route.

• Like Like x 2
  40. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

Considering DTG is supposed to be an English company I would say you are being very harsh since it hasn't done just UK routes unlike some other US companies that just concentrate on US stuff no?

Could I ask what are the Trains that did go on this route? I would hope Rivet do a new train, perhaps they are reading these very forums for inspiration? lol, well, I can hope.

• Like Like x 2
  41. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

It's been mostly 150's and 158's since the mid 1980's

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  42. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

You have a point, and I would welcome a Dutch route. I guess it's just that playing TS for so many years, I got used to having several US routes every year, along with extra locomotives and scenario packs. It seems that, with TSW2, the emphasis is so skewed towards Europe (Germany in particular). And before the inevitable reaction from German fans, let me say that I'm happy for them getting lots of routes and locos. Just a bit envious, that's all. I guess DTG knows where their market is and I can't blame them for that. If we do get a North American passenger route this year, it will not redress the balance in my opinion.

• Like Like x 3
  43. jamesshepherd790

jamesshepherd790 New Member

If and when is the HST coming into live livery because i wanna do an EMR Livery and a br blue Inter-City 125 Livery

• Like Like x 2
  44. jamesshepherd790

jamesshepherd790 New Member

When can i do this on tsw2

Attached Files:

45. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I believe there is a mod , or you could just wait for the HST to be compatible with the liv des

• Like Like x 2
  46. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

That's an enormous period of time. Five decades!! That's almost a quarter of the entirety of railroad history. How can anyone draw any inferences about locos, rolling stock or environment? It could be entirely steam, entirely diesel, partly electric or some combination thereof. I would have thought they could have narrowed it down to a couple of decades at the very least. Then the speculation and wish lists might make some sense.

• Like Like x 1
  47. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

Most of the diesel locomotives in TSW are Diesel Electric.

All traction motors are powered by electricity and require a generator which is driven by the diesel engine. A diesel electric is a standard diesel locomotive. The name is used to distinguish it from other methods of transmission, mechanical and hydraulic which aren’t as common.

48. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

Hydraulics were pretty common in the past, now they appear from time to time mostly because the bogeys can be shorter without traction motors. Diesel mechanics... I only remember seeing that in DSB IC3s as of "modern", don't know any loco with that drivetrain, mostly old MUs.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

As far as I remember, 150s and 158s were only used on the local and regional trains to Cardiff etc. Long-distance regional trains and the Paddington trains were HSTs, class 50s and class 47s. Would love a Valenta powered HST and a refurbished class 50!

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  50. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Many small shunters, like the 08/09 and the 363, use mechanical drivetrains.

• Helpful Helpful x 1