What New Era Of German Routes Would You Like To See?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jolojonasgames, Apr 25, 2021.

Tags:
?
  1. Early 1900's (before WW1, with all the different länderbahnen)

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  2. 1920s-1930s (with the nationalized DRG and einheitsdampflokomotiven (unity steam engines))

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. 1950s (with DB steam)

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  4. 1950s (with DB electric power)

10 vote(s)
    18.5%
  5. 1950s (with DR steam)

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. 1960s-1980s (DB, with blue/beige liveries)

19 vote(s)
    35.2%
  7. 1980s-1990s (just before and after German unification, with Produktfarben)

20 vote(s)
    37.0%
  8. 2000s-now

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  9. 2000s-now

17 vote(s)
    31.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Hi all, some of you will already know that I quite like to make suggestions for routes. I've been wanting do suggest some non-modern German routes. However, I wonder what era of German railways you would all like to see, to better line up my suggestions with player demand. I've also listed eras in which steam was the main motive power, because steam has already been announced to come.

Are you interested in a '90s route with IC's in produktfarben, the BR 120, interesting local and traffic and possibily the legendary BR 103? I already made a suggestion for one: The Saalebahn in the '90s (Naumburg - Saalfeld)

Are you interested in Prussian steam, from the pre-WW1 era? Take a look at my suggestion for the Preußische Ostbahn!

Are InterRegios and the Frankfurt S-bahn in the '90s what interest you? Take a look at my suggestion for the Main-Weser-Bahn from Marburg (Lahn) to Frankfurt (main) in the '90s, including InterRegio services and the Frankfurt S-bahn in classic orange and blue colours.

Please let me know if I've missed any eras in the options. I'd also like to hear what your favourite era is and why :).

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

My favourite era is late 2000s and early/mid 2010s, as it will allow to run with older locos (close to retirement - in some countries late '60s early -70s stock) and also the ultra modern stuff, TRAXXes, Vectrons, Eurosprinters, EMUs, DMUs etc...

Although I appreciate why some people would prefer older stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  3. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

For most of that period, the liveries were chromium green, except for cobalt blue for F-Zuge and wine red for diesel locomotives (plus the Silberlinge, and red restaurant cars; and the TEE/IC cream-and-crimson). Beige/blue wasn't introduced until 1974, and it was several years before DB actually had all its rolling stock repainted, well into the 80s.

• Like Like x 2
  4. jolojonasgames

Totally correct :). By the time I realised more options were needed I couldn't edit the poll anymore.

5. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Deutsche Bundesbahn in the 1950s with electric power because it would have allowed us to see what was Main Spessart Bahn HMA RRO RSN & HRR with the Standard Electric Locomotives DB BR110 150 140 &141 being the latest 15kv 16.7hz locomotives except for SKA which was electrified in May 1966. That's in addition to older DB BR144 194, 169 & 175 locomotives

6. solicitr

The Einheitselektroloks served well into the 70s. It was they which the 120 was intended to replace.

7. driverwoods#1787

Thanks for telling me about it in even the locomotive in your profile picture the DB BR169 did work on those lines during the 1950s. Even doing the Job of DB BR363 in Rbf Laim & München Hbf on HMA RRO RSN Rbf Hagen during the 1950s

8. solicitr

Two of the E 69s were employed as shunters for a while, at Laim, Rosenheim, Heidelberg and elsewhere, but never pulling mainline traffic. They could only do 50 km/h! But the other two (plus 001 until its retirement in 1954) stayed on the Murnau-Oberammergau spur their entire lives.

Anyway,when I was a boy just about everything in Germany, aside from our local, was pulled by an Einheits, or by a V 200 or V 160. And then the 103s came.......

9. driverwoods#1787

Thank you for telling me about it and from what I can see looks like there is room for an owner of Deutsche Bundesbahn 1950s electric locomotive to the run them on HMA. Reason for this is that the Standard Electric locomotives along with the DB BR169 can operate railtours on HMA just like how NTP gives a Class 45 for ECW. In the case of HMA DB 1950s Electric locomotives give a railtour option. In addition to RRO HRR RSN & Main Spessart Bahn giving HMA layers.
    Possibility can be modeled after 2014 to which the DB BR169 locomotive in your profile picture did operate in München Ost & Hbf via the ring railway.
    video is by s3sextel.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
  10. Hiro Protagonist

Hiro Protagonist Well-Known Member

Seems like the best place to ask this:

When I was a kid (1990), we went on a holiday in Europe. One particular thing that sticks in my mind is a drawing I made in my diary of a DB intercity (InterRegio?) train in I _think_ Hamburg (we were heading to Denmark). Electric loco, Bo-Bo, slightly pointed cab, DB logo on the side (since this was pre-unification it would have been Deutsche Bundesbahn rather than Deutsche Bahn) although I might have taken some liberties in showing the first carriage being the dining car (I was 6, sue me), so far I've narrowed it down to most likely being a DB120 (although my drawing looks more like a V160/DB216 but with pantographs) but the thing that I can't get my head around is that it was BLUE. And I mean all-blue. Yet I can't find any pictures of DB locos of that era in that blue colour _anywhere_ (probably doesn't help that I can't really search German-language sites in English), they just seem to jump from the cream-on-red to red-on-charcoal colour schemes.

Please tell me I'm not imaging things?

11. DeStijl

DeStijl Well-Known Member

Completely wild guess, but possibly a promotional livery, maybe related to the local football club Hamburg SV?

12. Hiro Protagonist

I can only trust the drawing my 6-yo self made, but it was a solid colour (maybe some white outlining), no additional logos/patterns, and more like a sky-blue (also, again trusting the drawing and probably a limited pencil range to choose from)

13. jolojonasgames

First of all, the dining carriage could very well have been the first carriage, I've seen more then enough pictures of this being the case, particularly on shorter InterRegio trains.
    Blue, pointy, electric and hauling an InterRegio or Intercity.
    There are three locos I could imagine it being. Listed from most to least likely.

[​IMG]
    This is the BR 110, it is somewhat pointy because of the piked nose. Many of the 110s retained their Cobalt blue paint scheme (originally applied in the '50s and '60s) far into the '90s. The cobalt blue is a bit darker then the sky blue you described, but on a sunny day and with a limited range of pencils I could more then see this becoming sky blue. It makes total sense to see these in front of an InterRegio around Hamburg at the time.

[​IMG]
    The second option is that you saw the BR 120, painted in an advertisement livery, most likely the ZDF Express loco. However, I don't think that one was painted like this in the bundesbahn era, I believe it was painted like this after the unification in 1990.

[​IMG]
    the third option is the BR 181, also in the cobalt blue the 110 was shown in, and it some of it too retained this paint scheme into the '90s. This has a knick underneath the windows, which might be observed as pointy by a kid, although it's way less prounced than on the V160s. This could be seen around Hamburg at the time hauling InterRegios to Luxembourg.

I hope to have helped you on you search! Oh and if you're feeling nostalgic about the InterRegios, I made a suggestion for a route with them, including the BR 110 I mentioned yesterday.

• Like Like x 4
  14. Hiro Protagonist

Ok got a bit more info now, as usual my memory had slightly deceived me but most of the core was still correct.

Drawing was done on the platform in Munich, but the train was still an overnighter to Copenhagen (it did stop in Hamburg but we didn't disembark). Not sure how that affects possible liveries

Key features of the drawing are double-arm pantographs (not single/half/Z), the DB logo on the middle of the side, and only two vents above (not a long continuous strip) but that could just be a bit of artistic license. The front as also less beaked than I remembered, the windscreen had a significant rake but the lower half was vertical rather than kicked back. Leaning towards the 110 because it fills most of those points, but the nose shape still doesn't quite sit right in my mind. If you took the middle windows out of the side of an early 111 I think that would be the closest I've found so far

I took a photo of the drawing and will upload later, also at some stage will have to comb back through my dad's slide album (that whole trip apart from Italy was taken on slide film rather than negatives)

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  15. jolojonasgames

Of you have the year, I could probably find out the loco, as there is a database for it :).

It could very well be a 111, the service type makes sense. However, the 111 was never painted all blue, just the lower part, with the top half being beige.

16. Hiro Protagonist

I can get the exact date if required (bonus of keeping a diary) :P Year was 1990 (we were in Italy just before the World Cup), month from memory would have been May or June.

Oh, and there's no guarantee it was the actual train we were on, could well have been the next platform whilst we were waiting for ours.

17. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

Deffo 70s- unification xD

18. edward.gregg

edward.gregg Active Member

The Berlin Metro under DDR control

19. driverwoods#1787

You mean Berlin S Bahn under DDR in English it translates as German Democratic Republic with the DDR Deutsche Reichsbahn being as German State railways. If DTG have an East German Route set in the 1980s you're going to see that they're still using steam locomotives because the steam phase out occurred in 1988 fourteen years later than in West Germany which was 1974. If you want the years when Main Spessart Bahn RRO HMA RSN & HRR was then electrified Deutsche Bundesbahn 1950s-1970s is the best bet because there's steam locomotives Electric locomotives the DB BR110 150 & 141 Standard Electric locomotives and the requested diesel DB BR218.

• Like Like x 1
  20. solicitr

I agree the description sounds most like a 110 or faster 112 (formerly E 10 and E 10.12), from the slightly pointed nose, the diamond pantos, the all-blue paint and the fact it was pulling a sleeper express. The DB-Kechs on the side also argues for a surviving old-school paint job. The 110s/12s were the locos for F-Zuge, Fernverkehrschnellzuge (long-distance express trains) and until 1974, and then for years as hangovers, were painted cobalt blue instead of standard green.

[​IMG]

Note that some 110s had separate grills down the upper side rather than one long one

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  21. jolojonasgames

Really weird, for all other years, the database does show an overnight train to Købenavn, but not that year. The other years though, it was mainly hauled by the BR 111, so that might be it.

22. solicitr

The only problem with it being a 111 is that I don't believe any of them were ever painted all-blue: just beige-over-ocean blue, and later all red. Since the 111 was built as the 110's replacement for the same jobs, is it possible that for Hiro's train DB pulled a reserve loco out of the depot because the regular loco was unavailable?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  23. jolojonasgames

Very possible, no DB train has a 100% reliability :). The 110's were a common replacement engine for all 120-160 km/h services.

I don't know wheter any 110's were stationed in München at the time, but there probably were at least some.

24. Hiro Protagonist

Friday June 15 1990. Left youth hostel in Baden, caught train in to Zurich and then on to Munich. Transferred to overnighter to Copenhagen via Hamburg

Attached Files:

25. solicitr

I'm reading that as a 111: blue below, white (ivory) above, front only raked down to windscreen level, multiple grilles/windows.

• Like Like x 1
  26. jolojonasgames

Agree with solicitr, that's probably a BR 111 in a blue/beige livery. It matches it's most noticable features and would make sense in fron of that train. Had great fun figuring this one out! :)

27. Hiro Protagonist

Next challenge is working out what train had the kids playground in the last carriage...

Sooo many memories from that holiday...

28. jolojonasgames

[​IMG]
    That must have been an InterRegio Kinderland coach :).

29. Hiro Protagonist

That's the one, I remember it having Kinder in the name (no surprise there) but just kept thinking kindergarten

• Like Like x 1