Route Extensions And How Dovetail Can Possibly Implement Them

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by supersimfan#2303, Jul 24, 2021.

1. supersimfan#2303

supersimfan#2303 Well-Known Member

Hi all i just wanted to make a thread about route extensions and how i think dovetail can implement them into the game

My rules for route extensions
    Route extensions should be in TSW but you should have to buy them which it will then be automatically added to an existing route, you will not receive an extension to a route if you have not brought it unless you have brought a route with an extension in a bundle. route extensions should be priced at £14:99 and should be within a distance range of 2 - 20 Miles or 3.2 - 32.1 Kilometres

What should the first route extension to train sim word be
    The first route extension DLC to come to TSW i think should be either the London Bridge to East Croydon route or the sheerness branch from Sittingborne to sheerness on sea

WHY?
    Well the most possible extension would be the sheerness branch from sheerness-on-sea to sittingborne since i think it sold well in train simulator and i dont think it would be to hard for dovetail to implement, dovetail have said on previous streams that the actual linking of routes is pretty straight forward its just the timetables that are a pain, thats why I chose this route since most of the services are either sheerness-on-sea to sittingborne or sittingborne to sheerness on sea sometimes you get the occasional service from sheerness to faversham station which we already have in the game and the other service from sheerness on sea to London Victoria and vice versa (the other way around) the locos that would arrive with this route would be the class 375 since class 465s have been suspended from short distance services and would help dovetail actually sell it because if dovetail sold a route with the current 465 DLC know one would buy the 465 on its own and you would only get the service from London Victoria to sheerness so it’d be pointless the timetable for this extention should be its own but when it hits the current route the timetable would then be treated like layers so the sittingborne to sheerness timetable would be its own for the dlc but any services exceeding sittingborne would then be treated like layers then this would actually give platform 3 at sittingborne more use. ill create another post all about this route after I’ve created this one in much more detail including pics, timetables, locos and possible layers

The next extension route that would be great for dovetail to include would be the London Bridge to east Croydon extension, this line would be great for dovetail to have since it would add the possibility for more loco DLCs and would sell very well, the loco that would come with this route would be the class 377 EMU and possibly a Thameslink dlc though I highly doubt that would be a class 700 since the licensing is hard to get, the services are quite limited on this extension since other operators make it seem more busy like Thameslink and Overground, Thameslink operates trains on the up fast and down fast tracks as well as southern express services while southern and Overground operates slower metro services up and down the slow tracks until new cross gate where Overground trains then divide from the main line and head to Highbury and Islington but southern metro services head towards London Bridge where they terminate like the sheerness line, this line could also advantage from the partially layered timetable where anything from east Croydon to London Bridge is its own timetable and anything exceeding east Croydon is then layered on to the upcoming Brighton mainline route

Please note: i dont know if anything i have said will work but it is something DTG could possibly look into, and, i dont know how dovetail creates timetables and layers and if a partially layered timetable is possible in any way.
    any comments you wish to post underneath i will try as hard as i can to view them all and reply to some of them depending on what you have put thank you for reading

for new forum members all your comments down below will be publicly visible to other forum members and members of the dovetail games team.

• Like Like x 2
  2. lukereynolds1

lukereynolds1 Well-Known Member

I love the idea of route extensions. But instead of thinking of them as "extensions", I think it would be better to think of them as "joining". That way, you can have two separate routes, that do not rely on each other to be played individually, but when both are installed, they connect.

An example of this would be East Coast way and the new Brighton Mainline to be released this summer. Both routes can be purchased individually, and are independent DLC in their own right. But if you have them both, then they join. This way, sales would not be limited to those who already own the DLC the other route is dependent on as an "extension".

• Like Like x 3
  3. supersimfan#2303

From my perspective that would be cool to have but it’s pointless because you can easily change routes because they don’t connect together well they do at Brighton but if your on the east coast way when you get to Brighton the train isn’t going to turn around and go up the Brighton mainline it’s going to do the same journey as it just done but reversed but even if it did your only missing the walking to the other end of the train because if you changed routes your just going to be put at the opposite end of the train anyways, I’m not saying we shouldn’t have that in the game I’m just saying that it would completely waste dovetails time when they could be working on other projects maybe they might do that in the future when they think they are ready too but the Brighton mainline is probably nearing completion, plus if they done it for the east coast way then they’d have to do it for all the other routes as well or more specifically it’d be cool but it’s not needed

• Like Like x 1
  4. supersimfan#2303

ps this thread is on about extentions to current routes not merging of routes which dovetail is not going to gain anything by doing

5. cyrill.kroonstuiver

cyrill.kroonstuiver Well-Known Member

In my personal opinion, the route extention that's just ripe for the taking would be Siegen - Finnentrop. The other half of TS20xx's Hagen - Siegen route.

6. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

I'd say that London Bridge would be better suited as the flagship station for an entirely new metro route (with the Class 455) which itself would additionally extend down to East Croydon.

Personally, if route extensions were ever implemented, there would be a huge opportunity to make BML even better regarding service variety.
    Examples include:
    - Redhill-Tonbridge
    - Purley-Caterham and Tattenham Corner
    - Adding in the Plumpton and Cooksbridge branch to Lewes from BML

7. lukereynolds1

You've misunderstood. What I am saying is that in order to extend a route, DTG would be better off making that extension as a separate route in its own right, that could be played independently of the other, but both routes join when the player owns both routes. That way, they are not limiting the market to those buying DLC for DLC, which wouldn't make as much money.

• Like Like x 1
  8. supersimfan#2303

I didn’t misunderstand what you said, what I’m trying to say is that any route not big enough to be its own route should be an extension dlc for a current route and these extension routes should be priced at £14:99 and have partially layered timetables, routes should connect with each other if you own them both, but dovetail would have to do that to every route and change every timetable just to add that feature in, plus the game would probs be really laggy for Xbox and PlayStation users but what I’m trying to say is that know one wants routes like the sheerness branch as its own route since it’s only 5 stations and has a very small timetable routes like this would have to be extension DLCs for current routes and that is what the thread is about, anything not big enough to be its own route should be an extension to a current route provided that you have the base route in your collection and these extensions would run on partially layered timetables which i don’t know if that is possible
    For routes like the Brighton mainline the east coast way should be a completely different dlc and should not connect with The Brighton mainline DLC in any way whatsoever because the east coast way is a separate route and is too big to be an extension to a current route.

9. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I think it's a much better idea to have
    Route + Route = Greater Route.

Both routes sold completely seperately and then merge if you get both.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Mkdog45

Mkdog45 Well-Known Member

I like the idea of route extensions but Matt has said about how the game does know about the two route you want to merge. My idea, when buying extensions, you have to buy a joining piece of track.
    Example: Joining up BML and ECW, you have to buy the link between Wivelfield and Lewes. It would be pointless on its own but would join the routes up.

• Like Like x 1
  11. lukereynolds1

Completely agree. It's better business sense for DTG if they get around to it in the future.

12. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Yes, route mergers are better, as you have two standalone routes for players that are only interested in one part, but can have a very great and varied route (with the rolling stock of two routes, if not more) for those that do own both routes. I actually have a suggestion for route merger packs, that merge routes together with a new train, so that DTG can ask money for the merger. In that suggestion I've gone into a few specific exampland, and I've also outlined current and future possibilities for large merged networks with more than 2 routes.

• Like Like x 1