Sherman Hill 1950s

Discussion in 'Route Suggestions & Proposals' started by Buynot, Jun 19, 2018.

1. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

It would be great if we could have a version of Sherman Hill set in the 50s. I know that there are scenarios out there that are set in the 50s on Sherman Hill, but for me, I don't feel as immersed since it still looks like a modern day route. I would love to play on a version that had the complete roundhouse and shops, and the giant coal towers as well as the Cheyenne Depot with those weird platform covers. It would also be a good excuse to add some more UP steam into Train Simulator (I know we already have the big three but I would like to see some other, more underrated engines) like the 4-12-2's, the 4-8-2's,or the 2-8-0's and the 0-6-0 yard goats, maybe even some other versions of the gas turbines.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Marcus

Marcus New Member

• Like Like x 2
  3. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  4. Marcus

Marcus New Member

5. jedi247

jedi247 Well-Known Member

This would be awesome. I have the Sherman Hill route. A 50s version would be just as great. I'd like updated versions of the Big Boy and Challenger, as well as the 4-12-2 and UP FEF-3. Diesel power could include F7s, Alco PAs, E8s or E9s, and GP7/9s. UP also had a few SD7s. The Gas Turbines also need to be included.

• Like Like x 1
  6. steammaster4449

steammaster4449 Well-Known Member

Well Smokebox is, as of typing this out, working on a new advanced Big Boy DLC with a Challenger DLC planned after that, so we'll be able to have UP's Big Three all together as advanced DLC's. The 9000's would be a FANTASTIC class of loco to see come to Train Sim in a more realistic form then what they already are, what with the MSTS Conversions and all, as well as some ALCo diesels and some more advanced and realistic E and F units then what the Amtrak E8 DLC offers. Why, throw in some new passenger cars, and that'd be the cherry on top of the proverbial cake.

7. steammaster4449

Here's a thought: What if, it's a big what if, UP had never demolished the majority of the Cheyenne roundhouse and had kept the backshops up in their entirety, and never taken the platform roofs of the Cheyenne Depot down, therefore practically freezing that yard in the steam and early diesel eras? Talk about a foamers paradise. ;)

Instant edit: Changed stem to steam.

• Like Like x 1
  8. trainboyerik

trainboyerik Member

agreed that would be a foamers paradise year round!

• Like Like x 1
  9. treid09

treid09 Guest

Nice proposal! Cheyenne in the late 40's early 50's would be for me like Disneyland is for kids....

• Like Like x 2
  10. steammaster4449

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've no idea why some new music got put over the orchestral music in the first video, and all but fully muted in the second one, but it was, and it's a right shame. The original orchestral piece just fit with the shots SO much better then what it was replaced with, be that a more modern piece of music, or downright near-silence.
    Here, have the link to Union Pacific Odyssey 1 and 2:
    http://www.greenfrog.com/UPODSY_vol1.shtml
    http://www.greenfrog.com/UPODSY2_BD.shtml

Someone was bound to put this in here at some point, might as well get it over with quickly:

I actually got Last Of The Giants on a two DVD set of a LOT of old railroad films from the pre-Amtrak days, with one or two modern documentaries. They make for good windows to look at the past through. Also of note, the 2-10-2 seen in the film's still around in one of the berths of the shed once called the Cheyenne roundhouse.

[​IMG]

(This is post one of two)
    Bloody limit of five embedded videos got me again.

Last edited: May 10, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  11. steammaster4449

(Part Two of two)

And now we take a look at the kinda passenger trains that could be included if this suggestion was to ever be taken on as a payware DLC. There could also be passenger scenarios for the Wasatch route included too. Maybe even some FEF-3 ones as well. One could possibly make a scenario where you, as the engineer of 844, have to help a diesel hauled passenger train make it to the next station due to the engines copping out, because that sorta thing certainly happened. 844, then numbered 8444 due to a certain GP30, even helped out the occasional Amtrak train back in the early rainbow era. One could even make some FEF-3 freight scenarios due to that being a thing that happened, as indicated by one of the 844's predecessors in the fourth film.

Talk about a time when American train travel was still mainstream and also had a good amount of self respect in them too. Anyways, if you wanna know which Pentrex production those first two videos are from, it's this one:
    https://www.pentrex.com/DVD-Union-Pacific-Streamliner-Collection-DVD_PCSL-DVD
    Also, of note in that third video, talk about some once in a lifetime catches to get 844(4) on the Golden Spike Centennial Limited, DDA40X 6900 on the Uncle Pete's own leg of it afterwards, an A-B-B set of E units on what I'm guessing was the return leg of the Golden Spike Limited to meet back up with the 759, all those excursions the 844(4)hauled all on her own back then, catching her on the front end of Amtrak's San Francisco Zephyr, as well as getting those caboose hops. Another thing of note is that the 844(4)'s steam heat pipes had yet to be removed at the time, and would stay on, I'm guessing, until some point in the mid to late 80's or early 90's.

This is a walk through video of a special UP passenger train in Louisiana back in 2018, and I've included it to show what things may have looked like on the inside of a regular Uncle Pete passenger train back in the 50's.

Edit: Corrected wording.
    Edit 2: Changed font size.
    Edit 3: Some more wording changes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. steammaster4449

If anyone sees these posts and wonders why I didn't keep my videos limited to the route described in the original post, I'm gonna answer the question before it gets asked. I did that to just show the variety of operations that could possibly be put into scenarios. And another reason is that I've tried finding film of Sherman Hill in the time period described, but boy it's surprising just how little film there is of the line from back then available on YouTube, and I don't have some kinda readily available film archive to pull from, although I certainly wish that I did.

Edit: Corrected spelling and wording.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  13. steammaster4449

Let's have some footage of 4466 shall we?

Edit: Well it would appear that the first "video is unavailable."
    Edit 2: Well it would appear the third "video has been removed by the uploader."

• Like Like x 2
  14. steammaster4449

Let's have some film of steam in the 50's shall we? The 844 makes its appearance towards the end doubleheading with a 3800 series Challenger outta Laramie.

Immediate edit: Changed "A certain 'Living Legend' makes an" to "The 844 makes its."

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Buynot

Buynot Well-Known Member

I have that video on DVD. It's one of my favorites! So many unique locomotives and operations are shown off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. steammaster4449

Green Frog certainly do have an impressive collection of films.

17. steammaster4449

Well, here's a photograph of the 829 and 4019 doubleheading a freight at what I presume to be the summit of Sherman Hill that I found whilst trying to find photographs for a different post on a different suggestion thread.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. steammaster4449

Well I've been surfing photos lately that'd be relevant to this route, so I thought I might as well share a few of 'em.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  19. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

Looks like the Western exit of the Hermosa tunnels.
    I personally prefer diesels due to visibility and convenience. I appreciate workshop scenarios using a wider range of DTM add-ons, many of which actually were in the 1950s. They have some nice wagons as well. Just seen the GP30 and DD35 packs recently.
    Can't resist to note the UP GP9 and UP SW1500, which are not available anymore, but also belong to the era. Have an SW1500 scenario ages ago, only to be skipped.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cyclone

Cyclone Well-Known Member

My only comment to this is we already have a Laramie 1869 route and extensions available for it that provide original lines. The main change for a 1950 route would be to accommodate track changes and create a kind of middle version. This would possibly be done by merging Laramie 1869 and the extensions with Sherman Hill and making sure the correct track was left and operating prior to the changes in the 1950s. I don't think we need another paid DLC for this.

• Like Like x 1
  21. NEC Railfan

NEC Railfan Well-Known Member

Actually if I recall correctly the 1869 version is completely different to the 20th century- modern era routing of the prototype. When Ed Harriman took over he completely rerouted the route in order for less grades/curves to save time and money.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Cyclone

Have you not seen the map of Sherman Hill over the years? The route is WAY different. It used to take the Track 3 path through Red Butte whereas 1 and 2 didn't exist, then went to the 1/2 path whereas 3 to Speer didn't exist. I believe, off the top of my head, track 2 wasn't built until 1951 or 1953. There used to be a post office along the route, and it's since moved away from the railroad (the area it was at has also been rerouted). Sherman's summit used to be a different point, as well, and I believe there is a plaque there marking the highest point of the railroad.

I plan to put out a scenario based around the DTG one talking more about the history. Will also give you a chance to drive something that will hopefully not rip apart every 15 km or so. And if it all works out, I will publish it the day I publish a video driving it. Planning to launch my channel with it. Just busy preparing all sorts of content to drive over the next, oh, lifetime.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  23. steammaster4449

Well I found a Bookface video that shows a bunch of transition era operations on Sherman, so for the sake of possibly giving people ideas for scenarios on the freeware Sherman Hill In The 50's route, I'll post it here.

Description from Bookface with a link to the full film on DVD:
    "Streamliners,Steam & Sherman Hill
    An assortment of Big Boys, Challengers, early diesels and more! From the WB Video program "Steam over Sherman"
    https://railfandepot.com/product/steam-over-sherman/

Description of the full film from the Railfan Depot store page:
    "Prepare for a journey to a time when the ultimate in steam power stormed westward out of Cheyenne, Wyoming bound for Sherman Hill. Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 Big Boys were the largest steam locomotives ever built and you’ll see them in regular service as they pound up to the summit of Sherman. Challenger 3959 puts on a grand show as we pace this sister engine of Union Pacific’s present day excursion engine 3985.

Then trackside, watch her drivers slip as the giant 4-6-6-4 slowly moves by. The huge 3-cylinder 4-12-2 9000’s are there, along with the 4-8-4 800’s, sister engines of another famous excursion steamer of today…8444. First generation E8’s lead the Union Pacific’s “City of Los Angeles”. “City of San Francisco” and the “Overland Limited” over Sherman but sometimes with steam helpers! The unusual veranda turbine puts in an appearance and then take a tour of the Cheyenne Yard in 1954 with an obvious abundance of steam.

From the Irving August 16 mm Film Collection by an exclusive arrangement with the Rocky Mountain Railroad Club.

This program is part of the Big Boy Heritage Series."

Film was originally published in '84, hence the use of the 8444 number for the FEF-3.

Edit: Well I'm getting this when I look at where the video should be:
    "Video Unavailable"
    "This video may no longer exist, or you don't have permission to view it."
    "Learn More"
    I dunno what in the world's up with it.
    Edit 2: Well now I can see the video again. Something weird's going on here.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Cyclone

This could serve as inspiration indeed. We already get Challenger and Big Boy scenarios, but most likely as railtours or special trains. Not as regular service.

25. steammaster4449

Well I found some more videos on bookface, this time from a Greg Scholl Video Productions film simply entitled "Big Boys and Challengers", Pentrex's "Union Pacific's Big Boy Collection", WB Video's "Union Pacific's Last Steam Giants", though the WB Video film is under the Pentrex umbrella.
    Here, have both the preview of Big Boys and Challengers as well as the bookface videos:

I apologize in advance if the bookface videos decided to disappear and be replaced by the text:
    "Video Unavailable"
    "This video may no longer exist, or you don't have permission to view it."
    "Learn More"

As stated previously, "I dunno what in the world's up with it."

• Like Like x 1
  26. steammaster4449

Well I figured out why the orchestral music got replaced and all but muted in those videos:

Screenshot 2021-05-10 12.56.19 PM.png

27. Cyclone

I am impressed that you got to his comment in ONE SECOND after a four month wait..

• Like Like x 1
  28. steammaster4449

[​IMG]

But in all seriousness, I didn't get a notification of the reply and I didn't view those UP Odyssey previews until then because I hadn't really thought of 'em. So hey, better late then never.

29. steammaster4449

Well Bookface has once again provided some more film from back in the day, this time featuring the 4466. Might have to stop watching so many videos on there of the railroading scene from back in it's glory days so I don't get suspected or accused of bumping threads with the videos. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like Like x 1
  30. Cyclone

YOU BUMP! HOW DA-...wait, this is a good thing? Carry on.

• Like Like x 1
  31. steammaster4449

[​IMG]

Good one mate.

32. steammaster4449

• Like Like x 1