Epic Release 4.26 Version Feedback

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by paul.pavlinovich, Jul 29, 2021.

1. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

I will come back to this thread and keep it up to date as I play

Good things

• Download 14gb is half the same base on steam
    • New cab sway really good at max
    • 60-70 fps on SPG when moving with everything cranked to the max on 2K screen - hitting 100fps when not moving compared to the 4.23 version of lucky to get to 60
    • when using free (8) cam and the train pans from left to right or right to left this is much smoother than in the 4.23 version
    • static map with names is great
    • opentrack + smoothtrack seem to work (poor mans track-ir) and works in cab and when walking - this is fun (I think) - although the in seat acceleration movements with tracking turned on push me back through the cab wall on Bakerloo
    • the level indicator on the HUD now correctly shows up and down grades
    • I like the new scenario choosing screen - this is much more intuitive
    • the new time table screen is good (except one thing), not so sure about the months but I'll give it a go...
    • the HUD bubble seems to work
    • Raildriver controls for Bakerloo are nailed

Bad things
    • After down load first run of the game loaded the usual splash screen, started the new video based splash then crashed - running it again worked
    • I cannot find anywhere to set mouse sensitivity (only has stick sensitivity which I tried and does not affect mouse) - this is bad - most gamers have a high res mouse - this experience is unpleasant
    • New menu screens need a bit of UX work - there is ESC, main menu and exit all on the same screen now - while I know the controls from the old menu - the new one might be a little confusing
    • SPG tutorials are still wrong - doesn't tell you to release brakes or put in forward in the AC; on the SD the switch in front of you is aligned wrong and if you fix it the tutorial says "the tutorial will now restart" - but doesn't
    • Can't find a menu option to get rid of
    • Every time I couple the SD38 in SPG in the freight tutorial it blows PCS - there are no tutorial instructions to fix this and will really put new players off even when they do figure out the routine (reverser idle, throttle off, brake to emergency, wait 1 minute)
    • In the freight tutorial pressing E to get out of the seat got up but was not recognised by the tutorial which gets stuck
    • When trying to get our of a scenario/timetable and you press escape to get the big screen of stuff to get back to the main menu you need to select Options, then Main Menu - needs main menu as a direct option on the big screen of stuff not buried in a sub menu
    • upload_2021-7-30_6-56-0.png
    • When choosing time table its still not intuitive that you need to click on the train to get to the next step from choosing month/weather when you only have one train - when you have more than one train it becomes obvious you need to choose

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 15
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  2. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

First impressions....I'm not a huge fan of the new menus. The route selection 'list view' of the current TSW2 client was very clean and now just seems to be a bit bloat-y. I'm sure I will get used to it along with various other things moved around.

Performance does seem better across the board on 4.26 which is great news for everyone. The new pause screen is neither here nor there for me; I would have preferred an in-game route monitor to be added instead but it is what it is.

I will play around with it a bit more but I'm sure the Steam version isn't too far off being updated as well....so I will then uninstall the EGS version then. Hoperfully my favorite mods get the required 4.26 updates as well, as none of the 4.23 mods work anymore (to be expected)

• Like Like x 8
  3. The SimTrain Tube

The SimTrain Tube Well-Known Member

I can confirm the game crashes at the first launch, after that it's fine.

Haven't got time to properly test it right now, but I can say that the new Dovetail Games intro is awesome.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  4. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

:):):):):):)

• Like Like x 3
  5. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The 1972 stock brake on Bakerloo has been weakened a fair bit. I used to be able to put it in brake 2 about 1/2 way into the underground platforms and be stopped at the end.....but now in brake 2 it overshoots by some margin. I need to use Brake 3 or 4 to stop at the same point I did before in brake 2

Maybe this change is more realistic now but it will take me some adjusting to

• Like Like x 4
  6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

Yep, I noticed this too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Yes, I noticed this too - I love flying into stations at speed and screeching to a halt just in the nick of time, now my train is halfway into the tunnel using the same technique.

Another Bakerloo point on the new version - it's impossible to get snow. No matter what winter month is chosen, the temperature never drops below 2.6 or something like that, and snow isn't even an option. This is very disappointing for someone that likes driving in snow sometimes.

That said - I love the new changes and am overall very happy. Speed changes at the front of the train - perfect, just as it was meant to be. But, worryingly for when I go back to Steam - I have never, once, ever heard anyone from DTG even mention the sudden loss of power/unable to start thing that so many people are talking about, and that others have taken so much time to document. Haven't noticed it in the Epic version, but I'm going to shaking my head and muttering curse words if it happens back on Steam after the update. An acknowledgement from someone at DTG would at least let those of us who regularly experience it know there is the possibility of a solution in the works.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I've definitely had this happen to me a few times...I'm not sure if it is due to a savegame bug, as I know last time it happened it was after loading a game. When it happens, nothing can be done except restarting which is quite annoying

When it first happened, I thought maybe I was sitting on a third rail gap (which I wasn't); and then proceeded to reset every system I could think of in the cab to no avail. Maybe it is fixed in 4.26...but it is hard to reproduce as it is pretty random

• Like Like x 3
  9. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

I would love to see a screen shot :)

• Like Like x 2
  10. paul.pavlinovich

This is my likely path too.

I didn't really notice this with RailDriver, but maybe I just reacted and pushed the lever more without really noticing it?

Have you opened the train window by any chance? Its got an interlock that shuts it down.

Paul

11. paul.pavlinovich

your wish is my command - here are the two new maps - gradient, speed and route - I kind of wonder why these aren't one screen?
    pause1.PNG pause2.PNG

• Like Like x 5
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  12. paul.pavlinovich

Not the greatest first experience for players!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Had the change to the speed limits in Bakerloo been incorporated into the epic version?

I noticed when Matt was playing last night it was still the back of the train and not the front.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

Yes, they change at the front of the train now.

• Like Like x 2
  15. paul.pavlinovich

Its at the front when the speed drops and at the back when the speed is going up - at least I think it is, I'll go and give it a crack - is there any particular service or scenario you'd like me to try to show it?

Paul

• Like Like x 2
  16. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

The speed changes are only in the underground section....the front activates the speed change whether it is a decrease or increase (as it should). However, in the overground section the rear activates any speed increases (front for decreases)

• Like Like x 3
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  17. Horizelux

Horizelux Well-Known Member

Thank you for the wonderful thread! I'm quite curious to see the new cab sway, especially at max level.

• Like Like x 3
  18. paul.pavlinovich

I'll be streaming all three routes on Sunday morning (my time) if you want to look at them, if the time zone doesn't suit, you'll be able to watch later. I will also be using an open source equivalent of Track-IR but I will turn that off for at least some of the stream for with/without.

• Like Like x 1
  19. thundergaming11

thundergaming11 Well-Known Member

I believe matt was on a semi dev build. Possibly was missed out?

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

Ahh. That makes sense now. Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  21. Ps4Player

Ps4Player Well-Known Member

Thanks a lot!
    Not quite what I was expecting to be honest, but it's a step forward.

• Like Like x 1
  22. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

Lighting and shadows seem significantly improved. From this it seems that the graphic detail also benefits slightly. This is the vanilla version. From the point of view of the fps it seems to me that the 4.26 vanilla version on Sand Patch Grade weighs more than the 4.23 version with all the mods applied. Could it be that the original trees are much heavier than the bare ones of the mod? Also, I don't know if EPIC allows us to activate DX12 (which probably increases the fps because it reduces the overall graphics quality).

UPDATE: About DX12: yes, we can.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  23. paul.pavlinovich

You can activate DC12 in Epic. It made little/no difference for me. I put the instructions in this reply https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/some-thoughts-on-epic-tsw2-4-26.42839/#post-345343

Paul

24. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

I can confirm the epic tsw2 4.26 game run is work

25. fanta1682002

ue4.26 tsw2 Dynamic Cloud very bad

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  26. Tanglebones

I know about the interlock and it's not that, there are a number of threads on these forums documenting it, one (synthetic_angel, or someone like that), researched it and documented exactly why it happens and how to avoid it, though i've noted this is a multi-headed problem but not everyone experiences it. Difficult to reproduce? Possibly. Still very disturbing to me that I've not seen or heard one single comment on it from DTG, ever. I don't assign malice to this, it's probably a case of not enough people experiencing it, but I find it bothersome that it hasn't even been acknowledged. And, arguably, Bakerloo is a flagship route too.

Fingers crossed that when the update comes to Steam the issue disappears by hook or by crook.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Tahar_bej

Tahar_bej Member

I tried it out now. The head tracking is something I need to get used to but it sounds fun. My only problem with this new update is the bigger font. I know that for console players it is a needed update, but for pc players (or at least for me) it is too big and intrusive. I would like to have a option to choose a smaler font.

• Like Like x 4
  28. fanta1682002

yes

29. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

I will be disappointed to lose the mods, especially the diesel horns! Should I uninstall them before Steam installs the updates? Any chance some of them (like sounds) will still work?

30. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

I doubt any of your mods will work as they will need recompiling to 4.26 ( I had around 10 installed and they all failed)

You'll just need to wait for the authors to update their mods.

Having them there won't affect the update though....they just won't load on startup.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  31. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

Do scenarios or liveries need redoing too or do they work fine?

32. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

I have no idea, sorry, but this prompted me to check if the Livery Designer still crashes TSW2 in DX12 in UE4.26. Yes, it still does. Same with trying to use custom liveries in-game. :(

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  33. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

So a very small fix, but according to someone on the TSC discord, the missing run numbers for the 56ft well cars on SPG has been fixed in 4.26.

• Like Like x 2
  34. Yerolo

Yerolo Well-Known Member

Scenarios and liveries are made using the in-game tools so they should be fine.
    The reason DX12 crashes the livery editor is because DX12 isn't officially supported (yet).

• Like Like x 1
  35. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

So, am i missing it, or does the gradient map not actually show gradient %?

I don't see any markings on the y-axis indicating the scale.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  36. Callum B.

It does not appear to provide any quantitative gradient information, but rather only qualitative.

If I'm understanding the graph correctly, it displays the absolute topography of the route (obviously exaggerated) rather than the relative gradient. If the gradient were to be the y-axis label, the graph would need to display the change in topography (gradient) as a derivative of the absolute topography. It would be more useful, I think, to display the gradient % centred under each gradient segment.

Cheers

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  37. paul.pavlinovich

Have you logged a support ticket for it? I know they say they read the forums but I bet they pay more attention to Kayako :). https://dovetailgames.kayako.com/

I think they said on one the streams they will work when the update comes. I would still back them up.

It does not show the percentage. It's just giving you an indicator.

I agree, it would be tough to work out the gradient for the map as you need to express it as a change above or below the surface of the earth (sometimes called the Invert Level) this would take some major calculation, but given this map is static they could calculate it once and apply it as text for us to see.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  38. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Maybe they could just give the maximium gradient in any given segment? I think that's how TRS2019 does it IIRC.

Tbf it's not crucial in every case, but for heavy freight trains (e.g. SPG, Cane Creek, Clinchfield), i'd like to know if i'm coming up on a 2.5% grade vs merely 1.5%.

Of course route knowledge trumps all, but as it stands, this new feature just doesn't seem that useful, especially since you have to pause to see it.

• Like Like x 4
  39. solicitr

There have been many support tickets logged. And the ultimate response is always "Closed, cannot reproduce."

• Like Like x 1
  40. Tanglebones

No I haven't, not only for the reason above, but also when I did on a previous occasion, it took a week to get a reply and when it finally arrived I've found it superficial and completely unhelpful, so I've just stopped bothering. Cynical attitude? Yes, no doubt, but my point is that there has been zero communication on this topic from DTG, on any medium, despite the numerous posts and comments on multiple sections of this forum. You'd think that Adam would at *least* mention it when he was discussing the Bakerloo fixes. I just don't understand why something that causes so much frustration, for the relatively few who appear to experience it, isn't even mentioned in passing.

FWIW, I've driven the Epic version several times without incident. Fingers are crossed.

• Like Like x 2
  41. mailerdemon

mailerdemon Member

My hopes went up when I read this... and then I saw your screenshots, which you kindly posted.

That was quite a letdown for me then! I thought for a moment we'd be getting marker names on the 2D map at long last, as promised oh so long ago. But no, it's just the station names on that line dot diagram thingy, which I highly doubt will be of any use for gameplay because it doesn't convey information about the tracks or where we're going.

And the missing gradient % (or 1 in x, or whatever) on the gradient map drastically reduces its usefulness, too. I suppose we should look up that information on the maps that come with the manuals... oh, wait! :mad:

• Like Like x 5
  42. paul.pavlinovich

I share the frustrations about the map and gradient display, its a start but there is some way to go down this path yet.

solicitr and Tanglebones I've only had that when I don't give enough information. Now I supply a template - I work out how to reliably reproduce the problem with a given set of steps. I then record reproducing it and upload the file to YouTube as unlisted content. Then I log the support call with a full description, a set of steps to reliably reproduce and a link to the video evidence. The calls I've done this way are all still open. I've only had one dismissive response when using this format.

Paul

43. solicitr

The problem with that approach, Paul, is that the bug appears to be entirely random. It strikes like lightning, arbitrarily; I have no idea myself what steps or conditions cause it.

(Besides, I have no idea how to record game sessions, or upload the result to YouTube)

• Like Like x 1
  44. paul.pavlinovich

That is why they just close them if they cannot reproduce it either there is nothing to give a developer to work on. Letting developers loose on their own leads to them either heading down random rabbit holes with no end result or making random changes "to see what it does" or implementing interesting work arounds like putting a speed limit on people so instead of jet packing into the sky they just vanish.

Paul

45. mattchester#9176

mattchester#9176 Well-Known Member

Just noticed the platform route map signs and PIS are still the wrong way round at Kilburn Park on the Bakerloo. Hope this is fixed for the full release.

• Like Like x 2
  46. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

There is new cab sway? Really looking forward for it then.

• Like Like x 2
  47. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

It’s a slider in the settings so you can set how much cab sway differs from default, it goes up to 200% for twice the sway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I don't have the Epic version and have no plans to acquire it, but some of the changes look interesting. A couple of questions:

I'm wondering how you know what is typical cab sway. And why would you want to artificially exaggerate it?

Do the gradient and place name maps tell you your current position on the route? Are they dynamic?

I agree that the absence of a scale or percentages reduces the usefulness of the gradient display, and I also agree with Paul that it would be much better if both maps were combined.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  49. hyperlord

hyperlord Well-Known Member

Oh-oh ... I have a LOT of them installed and none of them comes with some kind auf "auto-update" :-(

• Like Like x 1
  50. Callum B.

I am in the same boat. I have 97 mods installed, to be exact. I will just have to come to terms with losing most of them. It would be nice if a knowledgable user could make a guide that explains how one would go about repackaging a mod on their own so that it is not left up to the original creators themselves.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2