Some Thoughts On Epic Tsw2 4.26

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by maxthum, Jul 29, 2021.

1. maxthum

maxthum Active Member

Let me start off, 4.26 is a great addition to TSW and certainly had fun testing it out comparing it between it to the Steam edition 4.23 edition though I've got some things to raise comments to make, which are mostly fairly positive.

[​IMG]

The points of discussion that are mentioned are on 4.26 (now Epic Games edition right now)

1: GPU being hammered, just on the menu screen. Even the latest RTX 3070 card is getting hammered on the new diorama with it being used at 96%. Is there something about the diorama that's resource-intensive as I do understand the new diorama has high polys (due to the shape of the station canopy) and light effects? When compared to 4.23, the GPU was only being used up to 40%.

But performance in-game. It seems like 4.26 has an advantage, much better performance with more framerates, faster loading and it feels great. On Koln to Aachen, 72fps on high settings on 4.26 whilst 61fps on high settings, 4.23. This can vary between computers and curious about others.

2: Typography, I kinda feel like there should be an option to pick the size of text as on the driver hud as I feel like the time is too large and inconsistent with the rest of the theme. Can we possibly have an option of opting into a smaller version of the typefaces (especially on the time), just to make it more like TSW 2 4.23? It feels kinda awkward for the PC users in my opinion as the time on the HUD stands out way too much.

3. The Menu UI. THANK YOU. It's great! So much faster to find the route you want to drive and get right into the action.

I feel like TSW is taking the right step forward, but minor things to polish it up to make it a simulator that feels more refined and polished would be a great start to Rush Hour!

Bonus vid, the new DTG intro... it's interesting lol.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 14
    • Helpful Helpful x 4
  2. arekev

arekev Active Member

I have noticed that the base game install size has gone from 30.9gb to 12.9gb, So I think that must help in loading the game files quicker and I have not seen any stuttering so far, I have only just done a run on Koln-Aachen and I an quite pleased with the result. I did also modify my engine.ini to be the same as the my edited steam version which helped :)
    2.jpg :)

3. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

It amazes me how even on the Steam version the menu is so resource intensive, without even loading a route up the fan is whirring away.

• Like Like x 1
  4. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I haven't downloaded the Epic Version, and don't plan to, but I seen the new intro on the TSC Discord, I get a sore head viewing it just ONCE.

I haven't even got any conditions that make me more sensitive to light, that's just that intro.

But other than that it looks good.

• Like Like x 1
  5. CrAzZyKiLLa

CrAzZyKiLLa Well-Known Member

I would agree and had something similar, I think this needs addressing or at minimum adding an epilepsy warning!

• Like Like x 1
  6. dcnine#5410

dcnine#5410 Well-Known Member

It is amazing me just how much faster this version of the game is- both in loading times(which I am finding are more than halved) and in game.

• Like Like x 2
  7. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

CSX heavy haul guy appears once again upload_2021-7-29_19-23-9.png

• Like Like x 3
  8. trainsimfan94

trainsimfan94 Member

i prefer the loco filter view from the side

9. Scotrail156467

Scotrail156467 Well-Known Member

The intro reminds of the Marvel intro kinda similar but with trains and not marvel characters lol maybe it's just me that thinks that

• Like Like x 6
  10. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

I've just played Bakerloo and it looks and 'feels' twice as good. I hope we don't have to get the collectables and scenarios again though :(
    The menus take some brain re-training, but overall the new features are nice.

• Like Like x 2
  11. breblimator

breblimator Guest

Me, PC, using PS4 pad, "Explore" menu, weather settings - sliders not highlighted when used & some minor other navigating issues.
    Overall first impressions - better performance, maybe.

PS It is raining inside the stations (timetable menu) :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2021
  12. kevin.charb81

kevin.charb81 Well-Known Member

Promo vids lately have been awful quality

• Like Like x 4
  13. Tigert1966

Tigert1966 Well-Known Member

I'm just using it as a preview of what's to come and so far so good. I've done a couple of Bakerloo Services, 1 ICE and 1 Talent 2.

Performance seems much better, I haven't been back to compare the previous version yet, but locking the frame rate to 60 it seems very smooth with barely any stutters. Setting the frame rate to unlimited, I'm getting minor stutters but very high frame rates that I have definitely never seen before, Loading times are a lot faster.

I like the new look and feel as well.

One of the things I was most looking forward to was the change of speed limit at the front of the train for Bakerloo. Good to see this working. I'll probably play a lot more services now.

The thing I noticed most - the T key for the schedule is now scrollable and working properly. I much prefer to use this rather than pausing to see the schedule but on the old version I could often not scroll it. It seems to work fine now.

Good news for us users of German QWERTZ Keyboards as well - we can now redefine the door keys.

I won't play this too much as all my progress is on Steam. But it's nice to use it as a preview and see a few of the things I was hoping to be fixed actually have been. Just need to be patient and wait for Steam to catch up now.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

That’s a massive reduction in file size.

• Like Like x 1
  15. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

I’ve just downloaded this and had a quick play on the Bakerloo. I have to say I am impressed with this running on a modest PC (AMD Ryzen 3 processor, AMD Radeon Vega 8 graphics) - I usually play TSW2 on Xbox One X.

It defaulted to mostly medium graphics but I was able to switch one or two settings including effects to high without any noticeable drop in performance. In fact it runs better than TS Classic on my PC, particularly the newer routes. I was gobsmacked by the large number of passengers on the platforms after playing on Xbox, even though I knew PC had more.

The new interface is good. It is easy to find what you want.

One problem I had was that it wouldn’t run as it required Microsoft C++ runtime, even though I already had it installed. However, this was easy to find and install on microsoft.com. It then ran perfectly.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Endlich! Wie aufregend!

Cheers

17. Rage607

Rage607 Member

The "menu thing" is also happening for me on my Xbox one x. The fan is going completely crazy. It's actually a bit frightening, as I have never heard it being so loud in any other game. I thought it might be an uncapped framerate or something

• Like Like x 2
  18. L89

L89 Well-Known Member

When it was counting down in hundreds of yards on Bakerloo, the destination text was shifting a few pixels. The text size increase I don't mind but I hope the spacing/padding is rectified to stop that from happening.

• Like Like x 1
  19. heyitspopcorn

heyitspopcorn Well-Known Member

I noticed that in the stream. It was not game breaking by any stretch of the imagination, but it was also just not pretty.

20. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Hey folks - we confirmed in last night's stream, but wanted to jump on here too. The train diorama in the loco filter view will not be face-on in the build coming with the first Rush Hour route. It'll be more diagonally-on. This is something which has already been changed.

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 3
  21. mariussoare_84

mariussoare_84 Well-Known Member

maxthum There are many games that have this described behavior, while in the menu the GPU is at almost full load even on the last generation graphics cards. In several cases, the menu loaded the GPU more than the actual game during gameplay.

I don't know if on Epic you can make the game run using DX12. The fps you mentioned for UE 4.23 are on Steam DX 11 or DX 12?
    I think with DX 12 the fps should be even higher on last-gen PCs at least.

In regards to the fact that the face-on will be replaced, I think that for a game that is the evolution of train simulation, you should be able to rotate and set your own angle in the menu, I don't think it's that hard to make.

• Like Like x 1
  22. paul.pavlinovich

paul.pavlinovich Well-Known Member

You can force it,
    Go to Settings from the bottom left corner of the EPG launcher
    Navigate to the bottom and find the Manage Games section.
    Locate TSW2 under Manage Games and click the title to expand.
    type -dx12 into Additional Command-Line Arguments
    upload_2021-7-30_19-6-14.png

Note it might already be running DX12 by itself?

Paul

23. paul.pavlinovich

mariussoare_84 I've just tried the EPG version with and without the DX12 argument and it made no difference at all to FPS to visuals. This might mean its already running DX12 or it might mean nothing :). I'll wait for more knowledgeable heads to step into it. I can't find any way to see what the game is using at run time.

Paul

24. Easilyconfused

Easilyconfused Well-Known Member

That was addressed in the stream last night and has been fed back to the team responsible to rectify. JD can probably expand but that is what was said.

25. mariussoare_84

Thank you paul.pavlinovich
    Looks like the same concept as on Steam.

I think if it was running on DX 12 they would have announced it to capitalize on this milestone. :)

• Like Like x 1
  26. paul.pavlinovich

This is true. I asked on a stream but didn't get an answer. I know better than to ask more than once :).

• Like Like x 2
  27. cActUsjUiCe

cActUsjUiCe Developer

The diorama is a map in the game, just like any other route. So you're loading shaders, etc. It's a good thing your GPU is getting hammered because this is how it will behave on an actual route.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Callum B.

The game still runs DX11 by default, though from my tests it seems forcing DX12 still works fine—better even.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  29. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the menu needs to be that intensive honestly, why can't they just have loads of hi-res renders and you choose which one you want or even scroll through them. There can then be a folder with these files in and people can put their own in and share them etc.

• Like Like x 1
  30. paul.pavlinovich

How do you tell which version it is running? I hunted everywhere to try and find that?

31. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

yes epic The game still runs DX11 by default

• Like Like x 1
  32. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

i have fraps software run DX12 GAME NO WORK

• Like Like x 1
  33. Callum B.

RivaTunerStatistics (a software bundled with MSI Afterburner) displays various statistics, and next to the FPS counter it can display which version of DirectX is running. Also, personally, the FPS difference is extremely noticeable in certain areas like Köln because my CPU is a bit older and lower clocked than newer ones. DX12 makes a huge difference for me in that regard.

Cheers

34. conniethunder

conniethunder Well-Known Member

Not quite related to some reports on here, but worth a watch anyway:

35. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

But what about Great Western Express Guy, Rapid Transit Guy, or NEC New York Guy?

• Like Like x 1
  36. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

No idea where his twins has gone

37. Doomotron

This is a disgrace. We need to get Plastic Pal to threaten DTG with legal action to get this fatal issue fixed ASAP!

• Like Like x 2
  38. FeralKitty

FeralKitty Well-Known Member

That game had an uncapped frame rate for its main menu which let those cards run at 1000+ FPS. It was patched (to cap that frame rate) over a week ago.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  39. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

She’s on her third lifetime ban I think. Some sort of record.

• Like Like x 4
  40. RailRoadEngineer

RailRoadEngineer Member

Where is the screenshots saved?
    They are not in my pictures folder.
    Any idea?

41. 7orenz

7orenz Well-Known Member

TRIVIA

Pure bizarre (personal touch) or just my ignorance? the only connection my head has found between Epic Games and Niagara is that for a long time they were based in Toronto.

Or maybe this empty INI file just serves to refrigerate our poor PCs.

unusualINI.png

42. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

In Documents/My Games/TranSimWorldESG and the few directories below that. You have to miss the steam screenshots, these do not work.

• Like Like x 1
  43. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Also the old dioramas looked good, I don't think I've ever seen anyone comment that they needed to be improved upon. I don't get why DTG feel the need to spend all this effort reinventing the wheel on something people aren't even paying much attention to after the first few times booting the game. Especially seeing as it takes away resources from the 3D modeling team who I'm sure could be really useful for Rush Hour development right about now.

• Like Like x 5
  44. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I think the depot one from TSW2020 was better than either of them, because it didn't showcase that it's only loading the first vehicle in the menu. Unless it was something very small like a Class 08, most of it was obscured by the depot building.

45. mariussoare_84

On the topic of the game main menu, several Mastery rewards were new dioramas that you can use to change the appearance of the main menu.

Are they still applicable with this new menu format or those rewards will be replaced by something else?

• Like Like x 1
  46. Doomotron

There were only available in TSW1. Unfortunately, they couldn't be used in TSW2 and the Community Challenge rewards for TSW1 can't be obtained either anymore...

• Like Like x 1