[hrr] Completely Broken Nighttime Lighting

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by gogglesguy, Aug 22, 2021.

1. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

This is Essen Hbf at night. Would you feel safe here?
    20210822121631_1.jpg

This is inside in the train. Have you ever been inside any modern train at night where the light is so directional it's casting harsh shadows on the faces of your fellow passengers?
    20210822121043_1.jpg

Look at that "bright" headlight. It's sooo bright, I can't see anything else on this platform.
    20210822120055_1.jpg

• Like Like x 11
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  2. mclitke

mclitke Well-Known Member

I don't even feel safe at Essen HBF in broad daylight so... :D

• Like Like x 16
  3. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

This is the issue DTG create when when they don't set up the light sources properly from the beginning.

The darkness is how dark its supposed to be at night, however the issue now faced is that the actual light sources, such as station and environment lights, are not bright enough, or are not placed sufficiently. Placing lights too far from each other, for example.

This is because the artificial global lighting previously compensated for this. This was the lighting that made everything slightly blue at night. So DTG did not pay too much attention on the light sources, and where they are placed.

We have the same issue on Glasgow Cathcart Circle.

As for the interior lighting, we've always had this issue of it looking too bright and lights not spread out evenly, but instead set up as a spot light.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  4. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

Additionally, the upper level blue lighting on the Dostos now seems to glow on the outside of the train. Spooky.

upload_2021-8-22_20-21-48.png

• Like Like x 3
  5. KoeleKoen

KoeleKoen Well-Known Member

This has been a known issue for a long long time, only the hamburg dostos don't have this bug

• Helpful Helpful x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Inkar

Inkar Well-Known Member

That is not new. Has always been there AFAIK. I think they fixed it in the Hamburg-Lubek Dostos, but the fix never went back to the old routes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  7. gogglesguy

gogglesguy Well-Known Member

Ha... can't argue with that

8. Tom Fresco

Tom Fresco Well-Known Member

20210822174412_1.jpg

Dont go into the light, it goes to Duisburg!!

Not only the Nighttime Lighting is broken, because the light on the stations is also on on the day

• Like Like x 8
  9. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

My Eyes!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. JetWash

JetWash Well-Known Member

As yet another annual update passes us by the lighting remains as terrible as always across all routes, at all times of day and in all weathers.

I really thought (hoped?) this would have been the one where things changed for the better but no. It remains as ugly and broken as ever.

It absolutely ruins the game.

• Like Like x 6
  11. chieflongshin

chieflongshin Well-Known Member

Another one fo Adam to mop up. I still wonder what their standard bug or dev checklist is because it seems something that gets fixed on one route is present on the next at times

• Like Like x 1
  12. JetWash

I think this one is something fundamental to the way lighting is applied to the environment across the game.

Given we now have a next-gen console version and native DX12 support (I assume, at least on the new XBOX) we can only hope that ray-tracing is in the pipeline. Even without that LondonMidland showed what the engine is capable of with his nighttime UE4 console changes so why the game still looks the way it does is mystifying.

More passengers and a new UI are great and all but they should have been a long way below sorting this lighting out on the list of priorities.

As I said, in my humble opinion it ruins the game and the majority of time of day and weather combinations are just completely unusable.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 11
  13. KoeleKoen

Anywhere the ue4 console changes are published? Seem to have missed it

14. londonmidland

TSW’s lighting is all over the place. The only thing that looks decent is Summer midday.

Sunrise, sunset and night time lighting look completely awful as the sky and ground/terrain lighting are completely out of sync with each other. Not to mention the fact that it gets brighter as the night wears on and also gets darker as the sun starts to rise.

How is it that they’ve still not even managed to create a single route with a decent amount of light sources? They’ve been relying on the ‘fake’ global lighting for far too long now, and those screenshots really show it as things are pitch black. It looks like a post apocalyptic world.

Time to sort it out, DTG.

• Like Like x 14
  15. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

Amen to that!

I can think of a number of issues that should have higher priority than simply increasing passenger density. Headlights on US trains ( Boston is still not right) is one. Animated crossings on all new routes is another ( if on one or two, why not all). Water textures are a big one for me. I welcome the increase in AI traffic on Boston. One down and many to go.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2021
    • Like Like x 5
  16. chieflongshin

londonmidland I really don't know what the issue is :D:D

I thought I could see everything, and then I derailed. This is in journey mode so assume its in optimum summer conditions....

Screenshot (98).png Screenshot (99).png

• Like Like x 1
  17. londonmidland

I love how your cab is somehow being lit by an invisible light source whilst outside is pitch black. Gotta love all the inconsistencies ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. londonmidland

This is how I expect my cab to look at night. Just the dials lit up with it being nice and dark. No annoying and immersive breaking blue tinge light like we have in TSW. Both settings are on full cloud so no moonlight. Comparison below.

Train Simulator:
    upload_2021-8-24_15-32-38.jpeg

Train Sim World:
    night.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

I don't see that second photo as being immersion breaking, our eyes adjust to the darkness in time and more becomes visible. I spent many years serving in submarines, where 'black lighting' is required at Periscope Depth. The theory behind it is to make the inside of the submarine darker than the outside at night, regardless of moon/cloud, so that we can always see outside when the periscope is raised. To achieve that, thick blackout curtains are rigged and even red lights are verboten, except the very faintest. Barely enough to read the gauges.

With just that very dim light from gauges and dials, the first twenty minutes on watch are in near total darkness, just like your first image. However, after that time, it's more like the second one. Not exactly, of course, but you can make out a lot of detail. Enough that you can immediately tell who is passing aft or forward just by the way they walk and their body shape. I've said before that I think DTG really needs to up their game on lighting, but to my mind that doesn't mean making it like the first twenty minutes on watch in a submarine.

BTW - one of the coolest things I noticed in those conditions were the twin cones of light shining into the periscope watchkeeper's eyes as he/she slowly rotated. The whole outside world reduced to two cones of light.

• Like Like x 5
  20. KoeleKoen

As someone who drives trains at night, that top photo is much closer to reality than tsw's lighting, wish they could achieve that. Assetto corsa competizione also uses the unreal engine and their lighting and dynamic skies are way better compared to tsw.

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

ACC is completely on another level in terms of graphics, not only for light system.

• Like Like x 1
  22. londonmidland

That's what I was thinking. I've been in train cabs in total darkness and the only thing I can see is the lights from the dials.

• Like Like x 1
  23. londonmidland

Whilst I don't disagree with that statement, I can't say its the same for driving trains at night. I've been in cabs at night and during night darkness, all you can see is the lights from outside, the sky (depending on light pollution) and the cab dials. You shouldn't be able to see the cab panels.

• Like Like x 1
  24. JetWash

To be fair LM, I think you’ve been extraordinarily kind to TSW2 with the shot you’ve picked there!

Most of the time it is magnitudes worse than than that.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Tanglebones

Tanglebones Well-Known Member

Time is the variable here. As your eyes adjust you see more, even if you don't pay attention to it. A beam of white light hits your eyes from any source - a passing track light, a lit platform, and the 20-minute clock resets to zero and they need to readjust all over again. I'm into astronomy as well and it's the same there - when one of us leaves the observing site after a night of stargazing, apologies are profusely given as everyone hides their head under jackets to avoid the glare of headlights.

Just my opinion, but one based on my experience. Though, admittedly, I've never been in a train cab - but even so, it still has to obey the same laws of physics.

• Like Like x 1
  26. londonmidland

You're right. Often night lighting is a lot worse than that.

I booted up a random service - this is GCC at 23:00 during January on full cloud. Not only is it unrealistically bright in the cab, the clouds do not stretch over the horizon (this is a old TSW issue) so you can see stars in the distance.

TSW2_Josh_1629822252_00.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  27. KoeleKoen

Weirdly enough the night lighting in the br155 isn't too bad from what i remember with the dials (could be wrong it's been a long time)

28. londonmidland

It seems to vary wildly across routes.

29. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

But it still uses the same engine as tsw2 which says alot to be honest

• Like Like x 3
  30. Jinoss17

Jinoss17 Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true. ACC is a masterpiece in terms of graphics (tbf is a masterpiece in general as a simulator), definitely among the top 3 best games for graphics.

• Like Like x 2
  31. JetWash

I’ve never even seen, let alone played, ACC.

I’m intrigued though…are there any tunnels or underground sections in it? If so, are they dark?

I see that on the new RH route that yet again we have tunnels that are not dark or occluded correctly. Halfway into the distance the lighting just gives up the ghost and lights the tunnel like it’s open air.

Why oh why can the devs of this game not make a tunnel, a tunnel? Is it really that hard? Try as I might I cannot think of a single other game I’ve ever played where inside or underground is in fact neither. It’s just utterly ridiculous.

So much of TSW is good that these glaring issues are all the more obvious.

32. KoeleKoen

some overpasses like at suzuka but nothing major since its locations are racetracks,their nightlighting and dynamic weather are spot on though,even the sounds are great,i read someone blaming the flat audio mixing on unreal but I find that hard to believe

33. londonmidland

I really don’t see why DTG find it so hard to add tunnel occlusion or do it properly in the first place?

I’m not even going to mention the tunnels on SEHS, which were apparently fixed but they clearly aren’t…

• Like Like x 3
  34. Der Uni

Der Uni Well-Known Member

And continue Strange Lights on HRR:

The strange lights appear even where there are no Platforms:

[​IMG]

Or my game hides an entire platform from me.:D

And more Lights (or Gates to the Sky)....

[​IMG]

P.S.: The Glow on the Train looks like a Campfire to me :D:D
    Perhaps some burning Newspapers on the Platform...

• Like Like x 2
  35. londonmidland

This has happened because the right sort of light mode hasn’t been selected when building the route. Instead of selecting down firing lighting, they’ve simply used one which spreads light in all directions. So it clips through objects and the ground.

This is why you see it on the ballast, because it’s located on the underpass and they’ve used the wrong type of lighting.

• Like Like x 3
  36. KoeleKoen

is it just me or shouldn't the desert be pitch black at 00:30? already darkened the sky in .ini by 0,5 and still... 20210824224912_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  37. chieflongshin

It's such a hard balance as I agree the desert should be dark but seriously what is the point of putting this in as a service. All i can see is stars , dials and signals with the cab light off (yes I know this is probably accurate to some extent)

BUT

Turn the cab light on and and it illuminates the world and track outside....?

Screenshot (100).png Screenshot (101).png

38. londonmidland

That's just one of the many inconsistencies with the lighting in TSW. Try it in June as ironically this can make nights darker.

• Like Like x 1
  39. londonmidland

I think its to do with how they set up the cab lighting. I think it 'ignores' the cab shell and glass and illuminates the outside world.

40. KoeleKoen

the areas that should have light like near cities or towns are pitch black...desert bright as day....makes no sense

• Like Like x 1
  41. chieflongshin

I guess all we can do is keep this thread alive, keep sharing examples and hope

42. londonmidland

This is by far the worst lighting I've seen in the game. ECW - 03:50, June, Full Cloud. In its defence, its still using the old skybox.
    TSW2_Josh_1629847551_00.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  43. chieflongshin

Night Lights reflecting off the cloud base? ……. Oh hang on :cool:

44. londonmidland

You can see what I mean about the sky and ground lighting being totally out of sync in the above picture. Thankfully it isn’t that bad in newer routes. Still needs to be improved, however.

• Like Like x 2
  45. KoeleKoen

did some tweaks with engine.ini and Reshade,it's not perfect but at least better than the default nights at cane creek 20210825215857_1.jpg 20210825215901_1.jpg

46. londonmidland

Shame its still quite substantially over lit.

• Like Like x 1
  47. ASRGT

ASRGT Well-Known Member

To be fair to DTG never been a fan of how UE4 handles directional lights full stop.

One can only hope now that they can target builds per platform thanks to the engine update we might see Ray Tracing for lighting or at least shadows come into play to help some of these issues however even the light baked areas of the game are horribly setup with the excessive hots spots and harsh shadows seen on station lights ect considering baked scenes are derived from a Global Illumination to calculate the static light GI then passed out as bitmaps its odd that even that is of such a low bar. I question if there materials are even setup correctly in all honesty. If you take station lights for example it appears at times that simple tweak to there bloom value within the postProcessVolume would have helped a ton on allot of areas .. eh we can all be armchair critics i guess I'm not working under their deadlines but its true that the fundamentals of TSW2s presentation Lighting and shadows have never been a strong point.
    Again can only hope that now that last generation hardware can be targeted directly we might see more interest in re addressing these items but also DTG tend to use the we want everyone to have the same experience regardless of platform argument and have an aversion to in-game options so time will tell.

48. KoeleKoen

Yeah.. I don't think we'll see an improvement coming from dtg soon.. Too many platforms to keep in mind

49. JetWash

I have to say, now I’ve had chance to have a good and proper look at it, the Boston Sprinter route really is a step forward in all aspects shadows & lighting. I know this thread is about a preserved route but I think it needs saying.

It’s not perfect, and there are still really substantial problems with the tunnels but it’s chalk and cheese (other comparisons are available) with some of the older routes.

DTG have rightly taken a kicking in the last week but they do deserve credit where it’s due. It’s just sad that tonight they’re not displaying this on a stream on a good machine (instead of the Turkey they seem to be so fond of using) and talking about the positive aspects of Rush Hour, which are numerous. Why were we not shown this aspect of the game prior to release for example?

Complete cluster**** of a rollout aside, Rush Hour does look like a really positive step in the right direction.

If you want to see what has caused this outbreak of positivity then go to the Journey - Chapter 4, Service 2 - Amtrak Northeast Regional #66 [Providence - Boston] and see for yourself.

Edited to add - my comments earlier in the thread were based on my incorrect understanding that the new shadows etc had automatically been applied to preserved routes. Those changes can’t come soon enough. New skybox, new shadows, PIS, new passengers and sound should be the number 1, 2, 3, 4 & 5 priorities for the preserved crew. Nothing else matters until those features have been addressed.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  50. dbrunner#4864

dbrunner#4864 Well-Known Member

Everyone just talks about ray tracing like its a miracle. There are absolutely gorgeous looking games that achieved that without any ray tracing stuff. Just to make it clear TSW does not look so bad because it does not have ray tracing, it looks so bad because the developers did not find a way to make the global illumination work like all the other games did.
    PS: Did you see how humble games like The Bus or ETS2 look like without any ray tracing?

• Like Like x 1