Crashes Not Caused By Mods, Engine.ini Settings Or Dx12

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Rudolf, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

See also this topic:

https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/experiencing-crashes-on-pc.44260/

I carefully deleted all mods and I am very aware that mods may cause problems. I do not use DX12 and I also removed all engine.ini changes.

But, I experience unreal crashes in most cases when closing the game, in one case with the Boston route during game play. I even deleted the liveries I had created (but not used, not a big loss).

It is a pity we cannot comment to Natalies post. I hope this does not suggest no further investigation is needed even though the request is 100% correct.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's something to do with Boston or perhaps another DLC just being installed - I don't have Boston (or any US DLC bar Sand Patch) and not experienced any crashes on a completely vanilla install.

3. DTG Natster

DTG Natster Producer Staff Member

It certainly won't stop an investigation, but if you are certain that your crashes are not caused by mods it's now worth reaching out to customer support as they will be able to help you more than I can.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

I experienced my first crash upon closing the game yesterday, and I have no mods, or any enhancements to the engine.ini.

5. Cotax

Cotax Well-Known Member

Well, i use 4.26 mods and DX12 + engine.ini modification and experience absolutelty no crashes (for now). :) I have all DLC installed.

All i did was:

1) Saved my profile
    2) Uninstalled the game and deleted everything from mydocuments (TrainSimWorld2 folder) including engine.ini
    3) Fresh install of the game
    5) Run the game
    4) Added profile
    5) Run the game again
    6) Modified engine.ini (added parameters manually inside newly generated engine.ini, not copied the old one), added DX-12 parameter, added 4.26 compatible mods
    7) Run the game again with fingers crossed - Voila.. no problems..

Dirty update is always the problem.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  6. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I have zero mods and have never installed any whatsoever yet still seeing freezing during game play and crash reports whenever I close Boston Sprinter down, so I think this "user mods is the reason" is nothing more than smoke and mirrors to deflect from the poor quality DLC. I've actually uninstalled the new Boston Sprinter route and will continue to play the original routes and very unlikely to purchase any further DLC due to the poor taste left in my mouth not only due to the issues on the DLC not limited just to crashes but also a broken signalling system (which hasn't yet even been acknowledged by DTG despite the route creator himself admitting it's broken) and impossible to complete scenarios. But also the lack of response and off handed nature of trying to deflect the blame onto your customers.

• Like Like x 3
  7. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I get a fair few crash-on-exits with Steam games, specifically, and it may be the Steam app that is the problem.

8. WaveyDavey

WaveyDavey Well-Known Member

I've noticed since the update that most of the time when I exit out of the game I get an UE Crash. I don't get any crashes in game only at the point when I click on the "exit game" button in the main menu.

It's obviously not affecting gameplay in any way it's just a very weird thing that keeps happening.

• Like Like x 2
  9. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Sure -- after you've plodded through their draconian reporting process. So far, the mods I have installed have not caused any crashes following the recent monster download; however, there's a "TSW Mod Master" utility available that quickly checks all installed mods, reports which ones are now out-of-date, in many cases offers to replace those with newer versions (when available, obviously) or simply disable the possibly crash-creating mod. I wish I could add a link to the post that contains a link, but I've lost track of it and find that these forums' "search engine" never produces results.

10. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

The crash at close may be linked to Dovetail Live. I've read reports on Discord that players who have logged out of DTL in-game no longer experience the post-game crash.

This is unverified, but may be useful as a lead for DTG to investigate.

• Helpful Helpful x 3
  11. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

May give it a try.

12. HeyYoPaulie!

HeyYoPaulie! Well-Known Member

OK, I just ran a test to see if the post-game Unreal Engine crash report is linked with Dovetail Live.

Based on my testing, they do appear to be connected.

Steps:
    1. Open game (already logged into DTL) and close game = Causes a UE crash report to appear
    2. Open game and log out of DTL, then close game = No UE crash report
    3. Open game and log back in to DTL, then close game = No UE crash report

Hopefully, logging out of DTL once will fix the issue for others too.

DTG Natster FYI, just in case this information proves useful.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JBViper

JBViper Well-Known Member

I just did the test, without any mod, any engine modification.ini. If connect to DTG live, it crashes by closing the game. If I'm not connecting to DTG live, no crash.
    I will open a ticket with my error logs, if it can help DTG.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I have never touched my engine Ini file and have no mods installed. I do have some liveries installed. the game crashes on exit at random

• Like Like x 1
  15. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

It seems this is almost linked to Dovetail Live. Perhaps it isn't closing the connection as intended which causes the crash?

As mentioned, people who aren't logged in to DTL (such as me) will not have experienced such crash(es).

16. Jamy

Jamy Well-Known Member

I still get the annoying request to log in to dovetail live at start up. It doesn't remember my details

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jeannot41

Jeannot41 Well-Known Member

I'm logged into dovetail live, and I've never had a sequel in Mastery, and no more crashes either.

18. giuseppe#5139

giuseppe#5139 New Member

I haven't any mod installed, however crashes happened at exiting game and in a instance even during gameplay. Opened a ticket for assistance, but other than a misplaced suggestion of update an HDMI driver (that can't be updated since it's Win 10 built-in), they offered nothing. I asked for refund but Steam refused. I threw away 39.99 euros and have a useless version of TSW2, when before upgrade the game ran smoothly even with demanding routes like Clinchfield or the Germans. A good job.

19. LeRoiTiti

LeRoiTiti New Member

My game does not always crash on exit but texture are flickering like mad. Here is a sample:

Attached Files:

20. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

This is an issue with your Engine.ini. Start with a fresh one or figure out through deduction which command is causing the issue.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  21. londonmidland

londonmidland Well-Known Member

Get rid of r.LandscapeLODDistributionScale and r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale in your engine.ini

22. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

you add r.StaticMeshLODDistanceScale=0?

23. LastTrainToClarksville

LastTrainToClarksville Well-Known Member

Posted in wrong thread!

24. upstatenyrailfan

upstatenyrailfan Member

Same is happening to me. Whenever i close the game i get a unreal engine error.

25. Peter Smith

Peter Smith Member

I have the same issue of a crash report on exiting the game and have seen several similar reports in the TSW2 Discussion in Steam. All users report the crash on exiting but find that in all other respects the game is functional. I note elsewhere (here) that some report that the crash may be due to changes to the Engine.ini file that were made by users before the upgrade. Some say that reverting to the default "clean" .ini file results in no more crashes. Then one can re-introduce changes to the .ini file incrementally. (I have not yet bothered to try this, since the crash, although an irritant, is not interfering with game play at all in my case).

26. tom.frame

tom.frame Member

I'm having the same issue but now after the update on stream the one after the core update sorry don't have a date I have the crashing during the game itself and it continues to crash on exit. I have no MODS install and I have done nothing to the engine ini file maybe related or not Scenario mode I can't get in to any of the Boston back bay platform the game ends prior to reaching the platform? and I have a video I have to edit it down but the passengers go up and down the stairs faster than the trains on the routes

27. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  28. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

I also have the UR crash logger show up on exit, either from a save or normal close. Got so I am just ignoring it an clicking "close and do not report" as a part of the game end. I know that this needs to be fixed but until it is, I live with it since it does not seem to cause game issues.

29. WaveyDavey

The UE crash report only occurs on my machine when using the exit game button in the pause menu. If I use the exit game button in the main menu the game exits normally.

The idea mentioned a few days ago about signing out of and back in to Dovetail Live doesn’t make any difference for me the only thing that does is which exit game button I use.

30. Sharon E

When I opened up TSW2 today I did not sign into Dovetail Live when asked and went on to run more of the Greenbriar turn that I am currently working on. When I was ready to stop for now, saved, then exited from that screen and no UE logger appeared. So maybe it is tied to this link.
    Just went back into the game and completed the section of the Greenbriar turn and this time exited from the main menu and again no UE logger appearance.

Can we say that the UE crashes are based on the Dovetail Live link being open?

Last edited: Aug 29, 2021
  31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

It's a possibility. I have not signed into DTL for the past several months and I am not experiencing any crashes since the recent upgrade.

32. WaveyDavey

No because like I said if you use the exit game button in the main menu when signed in to Dovetail Live you never get the UE crash. It’s only when you use the exit game button in the pause menu.

33. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Same with me it only happens when I exit the game and not all the time, it appears to be random on when it decides to do it.

34. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I think Dovetail Live has to be the culprit. I remember I used to get login issues with DTL and it used to drive me up the wall. Shortly after that I installed mods played with DX12 on and off and had a few mods and have never had a crash. Even when I did my first install of the update I did not remove anything and it worked straight away.

I have since did a complete re-install but to blame mods I think is more an excuse.

35. Sharon E

Sorry, but I was getting the UE crash logger screen regardless of which way I exited from the game, esc screen or main menu. Now with my link to DL cut I have not gotten the logger either way of getting out. Now this problem could have a component of the person's set up, but who knows.

• Like Like x 2
  36. WaveyDavey

That’s interesting as I always have Dovetail Live logged on and I only ever get the crash screen when using the pause menu exit button.