North American Content: 2021

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by Challenger3985, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Challenger3985

Challenger3985 Well-Known Member

So far since TSW2, there has been a decent lack of US/NA routes & locos due to the pandemic (part of it anyway) and such. And with the recent Roadmap showing some new projects in the coming months, now it's the time to see what these new US/NA routes and locos would be like from the Roadmap.

So, let's look back on what's been released for the North American side of TSW so far, in terms of both Freight and Passenger routes and locos since 2021 (to make sure that we're all on the same page here).

Freight Routes:
    -Sand Patch Grade (CSX: HH/TSW2)
    -Oakville Subdivision (CAN)
    -Clinchfield (Historic)
    -Cane Creek (3rd-party) [made by Skyhook]
    -Sherman Hill

Passenger Routes:
    -Long Island Railroad (Preserved)
    -Peninsula Corridor (Preserved)
    -Boston Sprinter (Rush Hour)

Loco Add-ons:
    -MP36PH-3C (PC)
    -MP15DC (PC)
    -M3 (LIRR)
    -C40-8W (SPG)

Dead Add-ons (TSW2020):
    -GP40-2 (SPG)
    -NEC: New York
    -SW1000R (NEC: NY)
    (Since TSW2020 is no longer available, no further discussions will be made on this part from here on out)

[New thread for 2022 onwards, is here]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    • Like Like x 12
  2. porawit

porawit Member

I hope they addMaybe Union Pacific GTELS go in

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  3. breblimator

breblimator Guest

so good!

4. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

I cannot wait baby, NS in tsw2 and the sd70 with UP

• Like Like x 2
  5. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

Its really positive that the routes are coming thick and fast, although Im not sure my bank manager will agree!!

Given that the 3 rush hour routes excluded Heavy US Freight its a great bonus to see 2 busy new routes on the horizon. I also cant help thinking that Sherman Hill needs a 2nd loco on release however. Dont know how long the lead time is expected for this route or how close the Age of Steam will be to this release, but it would be a perfect route for the UP Big Boy at some point.

• Like Like x 9
  6. Kobebeef

Kobebeef Active Member

Totally agree redrev would love to see the UP big boy added in. That would be just epic

• Like Like x 2
  7. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

While I do see Sherman Hill being the stepping stone for NA Steam for TSW2 in the future, I dont think the Big Boy will get the 1st call. I think UP 844 will most likely be made 1st, with UP 4014 getting made at a later date.
    Union_Pacific_844,_Painted_Rocks,_NV,_2009_(crop).jpg

• Like Like x 5
  8. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

I’m really happy with these two routes. Sherman Hill has silently been my most wanted route for TSW, so seeing it actually be announced, with an SD70ACe of all locomotives, I’m actually so darn happy about it. I really love the SD70ACe, but yeah, would be weird to make it the only locomotive. I’ve always thought that the SD70M would be a great choice. Perhaps we’ll see some substitutions from Cane Creek as well, so that’ll be nice.

As for Horseshoe Curve, I don’t know much about this route. It’s a nice curve for sure. I’m mainly excited to see that Norfolk Southern is finally in the game, and also the debut of the wonderful ES44AC. It’s just… awesome. As a fan of freight trains, these two routes being announced just makes me so happy.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

The community will take care of that no doubt.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Quentin

Quentin Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if they produce monsters like 844 or 4014 as their first steam model. I'm expecting an 0-6-0PT for the WSR.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Blacknred81

First "NA" model. Not the 1st steam loco.

• Like Like x 1
  12. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

Well, in fairness, he did say "first US steam." But I agree, the first venture into steam will likely be something both simple, and local to Chatham for research purposes.... like the Chatham Dockyard Railway's operating 0-4-0 saddle tankers.

13. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

So as someone completely in the dark about US Freight, Ive stayed away from CRR & Cane Creek as I know I wouldn’t get much enjoyment out of the primarily slow speed running, so my question is what kind of speeds do these lines run at?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Not sure about Horseshoe Curve, but I think that Sherman Hill will see you cruising at a speedy 50 mph. So think like that fast part of Sand Patch Grade, but for about 60 miles.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  15. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Great to hear, I do think the US Freight locos look great, and for me Peninsula Corridor is my go to for some UP action, so I’ll definitely be picking Sherman Hill up in this case.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Lunar_Twisted

Lunar_Twisted Well-Known Member

I am glad that more American routes are coming since a few of them had launched in the past couple of months; Clinchfield RR, Cane Creek, and Boston - Providence. However, I am more a passenger train person than a freight person. But whenever a new passenger route comes with freight operation, I always look at it as a bonus to the route. I rarely get excited for a freight only route but I would say that SPG was a great route. I don’t mind operating freight services on passenger routes like Peninsula Corridor, all the German routes, etc. Even if a new passenger route don’t include freight, I won’t be to bother about it. I’m happy for the upcoming 2 new American routes but I was hoping for more passenger routes with or without mix of freight services. If a DLC adds freight traffic to passenger routes like BR Heavy Freight Pack on NTP, then sure why not.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Sharon E

Sharon E Well-Known Member

Don't expect speed on Horseshoe. Heavy freights get down to 5 - 10 mph on the upslopes with helpers. The actual speed limit I seem to remember is 35 - 34 mph depending on the location.

• Like Like x 2
  18. davidh0501

davidh0501 Well-Known Member

In the old Ts I found myself enjoying Donner Pass more than either The Horseshoe or Sherman.
    And in Tsw I prefer Oakville to Cane Creek.

Just hope the gameplay will make up for the repetitive scenery.
    One can always be pleasantly surprised
    The burning question though is dinosaurs, donkeys or aliens?

19. Challenger3985

Well as for the passenger side for these routes, it might not be a guarantee that there will be one for these two routes in the future. But gonna give it a shot in the dark for if then.

To start, Sherman Hill only has two stations (Cheyenne and Laramie) which in the modern era, are not operational (except for Cheyenne with special events). But, that doesn't mean this route has an opportunity to be backdated like GWB (as a separate timetable). And for Amtrak (as many of you want), there was the San Francisco Zephyr that operated from Chicago to Oakland (before the modern California Zephyr). As for Horseshoe Curve, also has 2 stations as well (Altoona and Johnstown), which are still operating on the Pennsylvanian (from New York to Pittsburgh).

So if you do want to see more Amtrak action, these routes are not gonna have that. Like Sandpatch that doesn't have the Capital Limit, it is pretty rare to see any Passengers passing through on these lines, let alone to model up the right equipment like the P42 with Amfleets or something much older for the right era as an add-on or a layer of one.

• Like Like x 2
  20. solicitr

There are few Amtrak routes that see more than 1 or 2 tpd, and those are basically the East Coast main line (of which the NEC is the northern end), and the West Coast run LA-San Francisco.

• Like Like x 1
  21. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Both are needed and speaking of Union Pacific SD70ACE Sherman Hill that can serve as base model for Norfolk Southern 1000s-1100s and CSX SD70ACE 4800s 8900s Tier 4. Skyhook Games ES44AC Norfolk Southern serve as Base model for CSX ES44AC 1700s-3200s new builds are tier 4s CN 2800s for Oakville subdivision 3000s Union Pacific Tier 4 builds 2016-present. Basically if the game needs to continue the trend of reskin US Canada Freight locomotives. Since in real life American and Canadian Freight railroads order the same locomotives.

22. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Disappointed with horseshoe mileage

23. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

upload_2021-9-8_22-26-45.png
    So Altoona (MP ca 236) to Johnstown (ca 274) is mostly around 35 to 50 mph, 25 around the curve itself. Not super fast, but still probably beats SPG (on average speed) and definitely Cane Creek. Passenger trains have slightly higher speed limits, but that's similar to SPG (you can see that on the dual speed tables you pass on SPG).

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  24. Challenger3985

Might as well add one more to this before the next roadmap. While the Horseshoe Curve may seem like a short line between Altoona and Johnstown (roughly 40 miles or so, which is like any other routes made in TSW so far), but the title also says South Fork as a part of the route, and I'm sure that means that there will be at least a branch line included, and this is what I found.

South Fork Secondary is a branch line alright (that is at least 31 miles long), operating from South Fork all the way to Central. What I've researched so far, that it operates coal trains to and from, so an opportunity for some new hoppers to be added (unless reskinned from the CSX Bethgons from Sandpatch or the 3-bay hoppers from CRR or Dash 8). Plus (from the looks of it), the line was operated with some SD80MACs (before they were gone from NS's roster), which I'm not saying is a good opportunity for an add-on right there (would be fun though) but the line might operate with some 6-axle power like Cane Creek, hence the GEVO I'm betting.

But, all this may depend on how much Skyhook is gonna implement the branch line. Since HSC may get a lot of mainline and local traffic (plus switching) from just the 2 locos anyways.

• Like Like x 4
  25. Challenger3985

Oct. 5th News:
    -Both Sherman Hill and Horseshoe Curve are now both in Production
    -Sherman Hill now has a second loco for the route, which is the SD40-2 (again)

(the OP has been updated slightly to reflect today's roadmap)

26. pugilist3

pugilist3 Active Member

Great news!

27. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

Well, if you are really dreaming about US steam, why not go retro with the Hudson route and NYC Hudsons, with and without streamlining? High speed, 6-tone horns, 16 car consists, now that would get some hearts fluttering!

• Like Like x 1
  28. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

I am not at all angry at SD40 being featured again IF it is correct and some new loco comes along with it. There is a number of assets and variety definitely helps. Look at BRD basically just banking on the number of trains made prior. I wouldn't stop there though, the AC4400W (after Skyhook fixes it) should be there as well. And maybe, just maybe... DTG and Skyhook should consider exchanging Aces and GEVOs to have them on both routes in their respective liveries.

29. Challenger3985

Oh, I would love to see the AC44 from Cane Creek be subbed on Sherman Hill (if Skyhook gets back to fixing it). But I was hoping for at least 2 different locos that aren't in TSW2 that would fit well for SH. I wouldn't mind the SD40 to be subbed in from Cane Creek (if they fixed that as well), as well as the GP38 from Peninsula (since is now sub-compatible). For me, it's better to sub what's already there, rather than just making another same old model to be used for another route (but not the way Sandpatch is at right now with the subbing, it's a mess).

30. Blacknred81

If DTG were to reuse a locomotive, I would of like them to use the AC44, but used the later models that have the higher number boards above the cab, so it would at least been visually different from the CC model.

• Like Like x 1
  31. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

If HSC was being produced by DTG, there would have been a chance for a back dated version in the same vein as TS Classic, with some vintage locos like a reskinned F7 and a new GP7 or a Baldwin. But that opportunity has gone. I'm glad NS is making its debut in TSW, but another GP38 does not excite me much.
    As far as SH is concerned, the Ace is a nice addition, but, again, having an SD40-2 on yet another route instead of maybe an SD 60 does not give me any goosebumps.

32. Crosstie

Plus the Hiawatha ( Chicago - Milwaukee), 6 or 7 roundtrips per day.

33. Blacknred81

If Skyhook gave us a high hood variant of the GP38-2, then I would find that acceptable, as we don't have any high hoods in game yet, so that would of been nice.

As far as a 2nd loco for SH, I dont see an SD60/SD60M as a candidate if Dovetail was staying true to modern standards, since UP has parked most of their SD60Ms, and I have no clue if they still use their standard cab SD60s. Other alternatives could of been GP40-2s, GP60s, or another mainline loco with a SD70M or the other variation of the AC44.

34. sergio volodstok

sergio volodstok Active Member

Disappointed that an SD40E (rebuilt SD50) isn't coming with Horseshoe. It's not gonna feel right having just GEVOs and Geeps.. And having been to Horseshoe Curve myself, I can tell you that the SD40E is a very iconic sight around there.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
  35. Challenger3985

Well, it seems like the original SD60s are still alive and active by the looks of it (but not sure for how long for now).
    But depends on how 'modern' is SH's gonna be (since the 7 on the Roadmap is dated to 2011+). But, I know that may not mean much, since most modern routes so far have been pretty close to the late 2010s at least (before 2020 that is). But, as a guess, if it's a rebuild from the TS1 resources (like they did with CRR), then expect it to be as closely accurate, but more detailed, as possible. (Just a hunch though)

36. Monder

Monder Well-Known Member

How difficult do you think it would be to make SD70Ace and -M at the same time. They don't look extremely similar, but probably share a lot of parts that could be reused. So developing the M variant might not be a whole new loco?

37. davejc64

davejc64 Well-Known Member

Slow American freight trains do nothing for me, I played the heavy haul one a bit when it came out in TSW as that was the only route at the time, but since I got TSW2 I haven't even touched it, I much prefer the higher speed stuff, dawdling along at 30 mph just bores me.

• Like Like x 2
  38. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

Probably very difficult. Exterior model aside, the entire interior of the cab would need to be modelled and scripted from scratch as they are almost nothing alike. That's not to mention the difference in how the locomotive actually operates (DC vs. AC traction). I would imagine that the physics would also need to be done nearly from scratch as well. It really is an entirely different locomotive.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  39. vyncwr

vyncwr Member

I don't really like slow US freight, but I would be very happy for something like the Empire builder on the Marias Pass. I don't know if this two routes have any passanger operation on it, but something like that would be superb and kinda new for TSW.

40. Crosstie

There's an awful lot of recycling of locomotives on both UK and US routes, a reluctance ( or inability) to build new ones from scratch. When you look at recent routes, including Rush Hour, it's hard to think of anything completely new ( Germany may be an exception). Yes, it is apparently more difficult and time-consuming than it is in TS, but so what? Are we going to be stuck with endless renditions of familiar US freight locos and Electrostars for ever. We'll get an Ace and a Gevo and sometime this century a 313, but, honestly, it's not enough. We need a steady stream of new locos and fresh liveries on both sides of the pond, just like it's been in TS Classic over the years. And they need to be independent of a particular route.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  41. Challenger3985

Funny how far TSW has been in terms of reusing locos from one route to another (as an example I made from another thread):
    Which to add 3 more to that list now:
    -CC: AC4400CW (rebuilt from CSX), SD40-2 (same, but rebuilt)
    -NEC2: ACS-64 (rebuilt from scratch), F40PH-3C (rebuilt from F40PH)
    -SH: SD70ACe (new), SD40-2 (repeat, again)
    As for both the GEVO and another GP38 for HSC, that remains to be determined.

But, you're not wrong. There has been a distinct lack of more different US locos so far with just one never before made for TSW, and one (or two) reuse to fill in the second space for routes.
    (And I still would like to know why another SD40 for SH)

• Like Like x 2
  42. solicitr

Which is really just a variant of the 314

43. Doomotron

Doomotron Well-Known Member

A variant, but with quite significant differences. I'm not sure how this compares to the endlessly repeating SD40-2s though.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Warspite

Warspite Well-Known Member

Although I think both Sherman Hill and Horseshoe Curve will be good additions to TSW, I'm disappointed (again) that there is no decent Canadian route. After all, we are talking North American routes here (not just US) and apart from Oakville (all switching), there is still nothing for us Canadian fans. Something like CN's Dundas Sub (Bayview to London ON,78 miles) would be ideal with lots of freight action and the CN geeps from Oakville could be included in addition to something like an SD70M-2 or an ES44ACs (or both). Just a thought.

• Like Like x 1
  45. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not in DTG‘s eyes. Sam made it very clear that Canada and USA are different markets (for lack of a better term) as far as routes are concerned and Canada is therefore not part of the big three (UK/Germany/USA not North America). I think there‘ll be a long wait for another Canadian route if one comes at all.

• Like Like x 1
  46. Challenger3985

Oct. 21 News:
    While not part of the roadmap, but it looks like the achievements for Sherman Hill are now seen on Steam DB (from another thread).
    They're just placeholders for now, but it does look like it'll be released sometime by the end of the year (if all goes well that is).

[Note: The OP is edited slightly in light of the recent events this and last week.]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
  47. Challenger3985

And to add another thing today, Matt P. himself is requesting help on getting sounds for the SD70ACes on this thread (which means no Youtube videos for this one). Which also means, that this ACe for SH will be either from the first four batches (2005-2008) or the later three batches (2011-2013) of units that UP has to be modeled.
    My bet is on the same model from TS1, which is the first set of batches

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  48. Challenger3985

And looks like Sherman Hill isn't the only one for audio help. Skyhook is now requesting help on the Forum for a horn sound for the GEVO (a Nathan K5LA to be exact). At least this means now that HSC will be a little better than Cane Creek in terms of the locomotives (but, we will see when the times come).

Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
  49. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Since you have huge yards a Genset Switcher should be introduced as DLC. Then followed by European routes like Rhein-Ruhr Osten Ruhr-Sieg Nord Riesa Dresden Hauptstrecke München-Augsburg HRR and Riesa Chemnitz (Karl Marx Stadt) getting Hybrid diesel locomotives as their equivalent to the American Genset the DB BR280.5 or Alstom Prima Hybrid on yards. On Ruhr Sieg Nord run on Main Line.

50. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

At least they are starting to ask for help and thus improving their chances of getting good sources.

• Like Like x 1