Train Sim World 2 - Bringing Steam To Tsw2

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Jan 12, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

However, that implies something like a heritage railway set today, since vintage routes require a lot more work, at least at the research end. One can't just use a camera and Google Earth for them.

2. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I believe there have been comments from DTG suggesting they want to offer proper period running off the bat rather than a preservation setting, that was some months ago though, I believe.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

They might just stick a steam loco on WSR.

4. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not necessarily. I think this was meant more to say that steam locos are not that much harder to do once the core work for them is done. Considering that the next steam article was supposed to be about researching routes set in the past, I highly doubt any sort of preserved/heritage line will be the first steam DLC.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Crosstie

Crosstie Well-Known Member

I'd put a couple bucks on that horse. I don't think they would necessarily create a whole new route for steam initially.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Coastway trainspotter

Coastway trainspotter Well-Known Member

I reckon the first steam route will be quite short , as it’s something new that dtg haven’t done before . It’ll probably also be a British route , something like the bluebell railway or the IOW steam railway

• Like Like x 3
  7. Javelin

Javelin Well-Known Member

As the steam release has a title 'Spirit of Steam' i would assume that it would be a 3 route bundle same as tsw2 and rush hour was, could be wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Rail Runner

Rail Runner Well-Known Member

My guess is that steam will only be available for next gen, and also be either a loco for WSR, or it will be another steam route like IOW or KESR. My guess is that it will also be a very demanding add on for FPS… but hopefully I will get my hands on a PS5 by then :)

9. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Just a thought. Although I like steam trains in real life, I’m not that interested in steam in TSW2. I think it will be too complicated to enjoy, particularly if you have to do the fireman’s job as well. However, I might very well be interested in the routes released with the package. If steam trains only were included, I would be restricted to using scenario planner to drive the route. I’m wondering if there would be scope to include a separate timetable for one or more non-steam locos, either through layering or including a new or existing loco with the package.

For example, a UK Heritage route could include a classic DMU such as the 101, which would be appropriate to the route. Alternatively, if mainline routes were set in the last days of steam (say, mid to late 60s in the UK), steam and diesel traction could co-exist.

Does anyone else feel the same?

• Like Like x 2
  10. Crosstie

Couple of things. There's no reason why steam and diesel can't coexist on the same route. Indeed TS has several routes that run both, both as player trains and AI.

When I was playing TS, I initially shied away from steam traction because, like you, I thought it was too complicated. I would run out of water or coal and had difficulty with climbing hills, and other issues. But, the more I played, the better I became at driving those beasts and the more fun I had with steam. Like anything else in train simming, it's a learning curve that adds variety to the hobby.

• Like Like x 4
  11. fabristunt

fabristunt Well-Known Member

It can also coexist with electric traction I think. If I remember correctly, the Woodhead line in TS had both types of traction.

Releasing the steam loco together with another non steam loco is a smart move: people who don't like steam engines will buy it for the other loco and may end up trying and liking steam, thus buying future steam content. I'm sure DTG thought of that.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Lamplight

Indeed. For Germany, a line set in the (late) 50s, 60s, or 70s could even have steam, diesel, and electrics all running on the same route.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

The Great Eastern Main Line would be a good candidate for that. The Britannia Class locomotives would have been running the Expresses back then whilst Class 306 EMUs were running the Shenfield Shuttle, the Woodhead 76s were also running the line back then for a brief period. Interestingly of the 3 of those, the Britannias are the newest.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  14. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

The maerdy branch with its colliery and passenger & freight services would be a nice start for steam. Time period in the 1960s before the beeching cut.

Screenshot_20211026-060623_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211026-061320_Chrome.jpg

Optional also a route version in the 80s

Screenshot_20211026-061125_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211026-061125_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211026-061037_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20211026-061010_Chrome.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  15. fabristunt

Loved that route in TS

16. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

IOW seems like a good place to consider as it already been hinted at on the IOW line.By having the area of switch around track and a station shown.Plus there several excellent vintage UK steam locos to select from,at least 1 or 2 of then could make nice fun edition to the game and the 2 and 4 axle passenger carriage options are also very nice as well.It's only 5.5 miles and only has a limited number of stations,so it wouldn't need a lot of building time,so more time could be spent fine tuning the steam locos.(Yea yea i know wish full thinking on this part of it).

• Like Like x 1
  17. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

meridian#2659 that bottom pic reminds me of that bloke that stood in front of that tank in China, LOL.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

The transition era is one of the more, if not most popular era people base their model railroads on here in the US, so a DTG route on TSW2 set in that era with both a 1st generation diesel and steam could be a good sell once DTG figures out the basics of steam.

The hard part would be picking which railroad to set it on.

• Like Like x 5
  19. Crosstie

I think Norfolk and Western were one of the last steam holdouts, so a southern coal route might be good. Of course, HSC would have been ideal too, but steam would not mix with an EC44AC.:D The TS version has a nice K4 to go with its older diesels.

• Like Like x 2
  20. solicitr

The thing with a US route is that steam disappeared so early. The F7 is the only US loco in TSW which co-existed with steam on any Class 1's; none of the others currently in game yet existed when the last steamers vanished from the mainline. So DTG would have to go back to the 50s or earlier for American steam, unless they do a heritage railway.

21. dhekelian

I'd love to see the first steam engines to be done as a way of an introduction to steam and then maybe a triple route later, one for each region. But if the Mallard does not make an appearance it would be a great shame.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Technically the GP9RM would count, even though it is a chopped nose rebuild of the original High hood GP9s from the 50s.

And with big US steam most likely not coming till after steam is firmly established, there is room for an early diesel loco to come with another route or as a loco DLC between now and then.

23. solicitr

I'm still holding out tenuous hope for a high-nose GP7 as a Clinchfield DLC.

The GP9RMs are so heavily modded as to be practically different engines, including 645 power assemblies, Dash-2 electrics and the cabs turned around (the original CN GP9s were long-hood-forward), and Type 26 brakes. Darn near GP38-2s.

24. Schuppenheizer

Schuppenheizer Member

Hopefully we'll get a dynamic whistle like in Railroads online, not just a few loops like in the train simulator. Own music on bridges.:love:

• Like Like x 2
  25. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this the other day and thought something like the old Fairford Branch would be good. It was a UK railway modelling cliche in the 70’s but it has a lot going for it. Well documented and a decent length run all the way into Oxford. Plenty of scope for freight. Only downside is weight restrictions on the branch led to tank locos or lightweight tender locos only. The GWR railcars also put in an appearance, there’s a nice DLC straightaway.

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Branch-Lin...W,B07NX6B53P,B0768TZ47P,B00JYB3MCE,B07N24WQPN

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  26. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

The Norfolk and Western, from what I know, never went above 100 mph. So theareticly they could have that route done before spring 2022.

27. steamfan#1309

They should work with them to get the pixels down

28. fabristunt

Derail Valley also has a dynamic whistle.

29. khalidaliishmail

khalidaliishmail Active Member

I would hope to see at least some period steam routes eventually in TSW just to have the full steam experience (1950s to early 1960s for the UK, late 1940s for USA). Although modern heritage lines are interesting too, I feel like it would be a missed opportunity to put all this work into getting steam locos in the sim only for them to be restricted to the relatively light loads and slow speeds on a typical UK heritage route. That might be ok for a small 0-4-0T or 0-6-0T, but for anything bigger it's going to be frustrating not to be able open the loco up and utilise it to the fullest extent.

• Like Like x 1
  30. steamfan#1309

Short lines around the 60s should float everyone's boat as most of them are still around or are synic railroads/hearatige railways

31. ady.hewitt

ady.hewitt Member

The easiest and least costly route to add any steam trains to for testing and release must surely be the west Somerset.

Gradients a plenty and simple runs to get used to all the new things that are needed to get these things running.

32. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

I know next to nothing about steam trains. The steam in TSW is going to be my education on the subject. I’m expecting Spirit of Steam to be a bundle. There’s no point limping in with your head down for this, DTG will want the launch to be a big affair, an extravaganza, as a lot of people have been waiting for this for a long time. I’m not sure a small tank engine on a heritage route is that. There’s no reason, if they have the tech working, that they can’t go straight in with the big and famous locos. That’s my take on it.

• Like Like x 4
  33. fabristunt

I disagree stujoy
    The first dlc or bundle will be something smaller like a tank loco, because the main selling point will be steam itself. Famous locos will come later, because people will for sure buy the Mallard DLC, but might not be interested in a smaller tank engine. If you link the less appealing product with the introduction of the steam physics, you get better sales. Having said that, I kinda prefer tank engines :)

• Like Like x 2
  34. dhekelian

I would say the Wallingford - Cholsey would be the easiest as it is single track and only a few miles long, lovely countryside though.

If I had my wish DTG would release something like the Rocket on the first Inter City Railway, Liverpool - Manchester. And there were quickly added more Engine's, Arrow, Planet, Phoenix, Northumbrian ETC and loads I have missed. This would be great as an introduction to steam and then it can move on to the more well known Steam Engines but this will not happen as I fear WTG probably won't be doing any 'new' routes but using modern lines which kind of puts me off a little.

35. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Im sure dtg was at that point too when they decided what to bring first, so we maybe get both. I agree with stujoy that this "special" needs to have an impact on the customer base.

So my guess would be a route in the transition era with both steam and diesel layers. And for steam we get something like a standard 4mt or 8F, and a 3f jinty or pannier tank as small shunter.

My personal favourite Project to me personal would be a network based route like "waredale & teesdale network", so there is plenty of coillery, mines and passenger to do.

8.jpg

3.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  36. Lamplight

I find myself sort of between you two. I do think that DTG will want to make a big fuss about it to get as many people as possible into steam. The more people buy the first route/bundle, the more potential customers are there for future steam DLCs if the first one was good enough to hook them (not counting those people waiting on a specific loco/line). At the same time, something big and famous like the Big Boy or <put famous UK engine here - excuse my lack of familiarity with UK steam locos> will probably backfire. Too much potential for things to go wrong with the first steam locos to immediately try the most advanced and complicated steam locos out there. Expectations for steam are high enough as is, using a famous loco (or class of loco) will just increase expectations to a probably unrealistic level. It would draw in lots of sales though.

• Like Like x 3
  37. dhekelian

You seriously haven't heard of the Rocket, Flying Scotsman or the fastest of them all the Mallard? lol. I think I'm more inclined to agree with fabristunt. Going for the big and greatest straight off the bat will no doubt create an impact but if they get it wrong it might create the wrong sort of impact. Look at Rush Hour, Engine update etc bold moves but have big problems at the same time.

Surely it would be better to start off with a small Engine to gain confidence going forward, as I said before putting Steam Engines on Modern routes might be an immersion killer for some.

• Like Like x 1
  38. fabristunt

The added benefit of making famous locos later is that by then they'll have worked out most of the issues.

• Like Like x 2
  39. Lamplight

Yes, I have heard of them. Since I'm not as familiar with UK railroads as I am with US and German railroads, I have no idea which of these would be the go-to loco to get a big name in the game. There's no shame in admitting that other people are more knowledgeable than me to my mind.

• Like Like x 3
  40. dhekelian

No of course not, I didn't mean to sound arrogant, I'm the same with the US and German trains TBH so no shame at all.

• Like Like x 1
  41. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Just outside Chemnitz there is a railway museum which looks like they run steam trains occasionally for rail tours.

If they have this built in the upcoming Dresden Chemnitz route, with the 2 turntables, you can be sure that will be a steam loco DLC in the future for it.

• Like Like x 1
  42. Crosstie

I'm expecting a " Rush Hour " type of release featuring 3 steam locos, one from each of the major markets. I don't know much about German steam and which route it could use, but US and UK steamers are well-known to most of us, and just about any current TSW route ran steam alone or transition steam/ early diesel. Or, we might be surprised with new routes, who knows?

However, I see no room for timidity from DTG. I expect main line steamers like Challenger ( maybe for SH ) or a GS-4 (with an SP route ) or even a K4 (for HSC ). On the UK side of the pond, I'd be looking for a Castle or King class for a Riviera route or even, God bless it, a Coronation for the Settle-Carlisle route.

DTG should " go long or not at all " or to quote Daniel Burnham, " Make no little plans. They have no magic in them to stir men's blood. ":love:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  43. dhekelian

You show a lot of confidence in DTG, I hope it isn't misplaced.

• Like Like x 1
  44. Crosstie

I'd be disappointed if the first steamer was a 57xx pannier or a little J94 or something similar.

45. Callum B.

Callum B. Well-Known Member

It likely will be as DTG have already said their first steamer will not be anything that grand or iconic like a Big Boy or a Mallard, however I imagine that they will be making those as soon as they're able so as to reap a good return on their investment.

Cheers

Last edited: Oct 29, 2021
  46. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

47. Crosstie

Hmm. Must have missed that. Did they explain why they were starting small? Can't see them selling many Hunslets or small tanks outside of the UK.

48. Callum B.

They said it's a matter of getting their footing in accurately modelling basic steam behaviour before trying anything more complex (i.e., avoiding a poor recreation of something iconic by being too hasty).

Cheers

49. Wolfovizer

Wolfovizer Well-Known Member

Matt said that they have got steam trains running over 100mph but to not take that as any sort of a clue (it's just future proofing), nothing was said about starting small or big. Something I did notice is that Matt says "locomotives" whether that's multiple on one route or talking about different loco's on different routes I'm not sure, but interesting anyway :)

This is where they start talking about steam, 1:37:17 if the link doesn't work.

This is where they talk about speed/loco's 1:41:28.

Where Matt talks about over 100mph not being a hint, 1:42:41 if the link doesn't work.

50. Callum B.

Not on that stream. It was many many streams ago, possibly during the last Q&A.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1