Train Sim World 2 - Roadmap 2nd November 2021

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Jamie, Nov 2, 2021.

1. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

The route from Penzance to St. Oste will be announced in November. Will there be a new route for Christmas in December? If so, what should it be? Sherman Mountain? still? ………………

• Like Like x 1
  2. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

So a Caltrain on the Oakville route. Wow as a Canadian I am glad I never got this route. Yes the cab cars are the same but it is a different engine, close but different.

Sorry but not the same as having a GO Transit livery and I'm a little insulted you would put a company from California in Canada like it is nothing. So US flags still on the train? We are not the U.S. here you know, we are our own country.

That would be like having an Irish route with British Rail trains. And not Northern Ireland.

All you would have to do is rebrand them into GO Transit but until then this route is now never being purchased by myself and if I did own it I would uninstall it.

Not ask for a refund because they don't live out here and probably don't realize how much this just seems to be insulting to Canadian intelligence.

Sorry but that is how I feel.

• Like Like x 2
  3. zefreak

zefreak Active Member

I agree that it is weird and I don't like it, although I do own the route (and am not Canadian). I do understand not wanting to be associated with the USA, though :D

• Like Like x 2
  4. Cramnor

Cramnor Well-Known Member

Is that reaction maybe a bit over the edge? You don't even know how it is going to be, maybe it'll be an albino train, which should be quick and easy to do. DTG wants to do us a favour by adding more life to the route with what is available, and nothing else.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bakedpotatos.jm

bakedpotatos.jm Well-Known Member

Well so much for realism, might as well just throw a BR 387 onto Long lsland railway because it kinda looks like their new trains.

This is a different country we are talking about, a little immersion breaking don't you think to have trains with the US flag on a Canadian local route. Caltrain you know California Train.

And a reaction over the edge would be me flipping out on DTG for insulting me and saying no one should buy it which I never said.

To me it is insulting and that is my opinion, why not take the time to paint the loco properly instead of doing things the lazy way.

So it wouldn't bother you if they did your local route and gave you train that was painted in a livery that did not even run in the same country, and not even just that one is on the Pacific coast and the other is near the Atlantic.

You can be damn sure that of they added a TTC subway to a New York subway, the American fans would be in an uproar.

It just proves that no matter that they say they don't want to do things unrealistic it all goes out the window.

So when I see the trains going out my back window heading to Aldershot in real life every day you kind of notice that.

• Like Like x 2
  6. fezza

fezza Active Member

Wouldn't the obvious approach to the introduction of steam be to layer it into West Somerset? Then you could have practically any famous preserved British steam locomotive from any company as a visiting loco, as well as the WSR mainly GWR home fleet.

There are some tricky gradients on this route - I've been on a train that stalled on Washford bank in wet weather.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

Not really. First of all, a loco DLC requires ownership of the route it's for, thus reducing the number of possible customers compared to a route DLC. Trodding along at 25mph is also a restriction that not all players will be willing to put up with, judging by a lot of the comments on this forum over the years. Lastly, a heritage line, while fine in the long run, is not what a lot of people expect. A vintage route showing everyday steam action would probably be more popular overall.

The main focus of the first (or first few) steam release(s) must be to attract as many customers as possible. This way, DTG starts building an audience for steam larger than the people interested right now, which will aid in recouping the investment made into steam.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

As Lamplight says the problem with WSR is speed limits. Better to have a Riviera in the 50s or similar where you can open up the taps rather than limit yourself immediately to a slow trundle (and I don't even like steam trains, but can see people will want more than a dawdle)

• Like Like x 5
  9. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I'll take this chance to link my riviera line in the '50s suggestion for TSW for those unfamiliar with the route from TS (although my suggestion includes the line to Plymouth aswell). :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  10. mattwild55

mattwild55 Well-Known Member

I've always thought this would make a really great first steam DLC (also utilising the appropriate pre-existing diesels), particularly as the research is already available - however if the track were to be expanded from that in the original TS version, I'd rather have the former Teign Valley line instead of a Plymouth extension. It ran between Newton Abbot and Exeter St Thomas on a very different inland route via Heathfield and Christow which would be perfect for not only adding more traffic in Exeter and NA but also providing a substantially different 'feel' from the main line running.

A sleepy, single line, heavily graded GWR branch twisting through wooded countryside primarily made of stopping / autocoach passenger traffic and the occasional clanking local goods train would be the perfect alternative route to the high speed coastal main line route. Also good scenario fodder for rerouted express trains (Dawlish sea wall out of action again you say?)

Some more info and great photos for anyone who is interested here courtesy of the Cornwall Railway Society - Teign Valley branch (cornwallrailwaysociety.org.uk)

• Like Like x 2
  11. jolojonasgames

I get that too, it looks fun. I chose the line to plymouth because I'm more into fast mainline traffic, and it has some really challenging gradients aswell.

12. coursetim

coursetim Well-Known Member

While you're definitely correct with regards to speed they could also layer it into some of the other routes as a rail tour so you can run it at higher speeds.

I mean we're almost certain it'll be a route release but if it was a heritage line thats a step they could take to let people use the locomotive in both ways.

13. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

In the main term its depending on the business aspect. I have no idea if canadian oakville is selling good.

So lets say if it would be the favourite route of all players, a loco dlc with correct stock is likely incl. licence etc.
    But if the route isnt as popular (which i dont know about oakville), than the current way with not 100% accurate rolling stock is gonna choosen and they can spend ressources elsewhere.

In this case, somebody will upload a repaint and it makes it close to real without licensing.

14. dhekelian

dhekelian Well-Known Member

I was quite optimistic when Adam was speaking and said the Preserved routes have been updated bar 6 I think he said when the added RD support, I though 'great, at last' and then he said I have no idea when they will be released though. Is it just me that gets frustrated when they say 'we have fixed it but have no idea when it is going to be released?'

So much for a more frequent update/patching system. DTG have said if they just concentrated on bug fixes they would not make any money but I believe the more updates and bug fixes they do now will enable them to release more DLC so they can make their lolly with. Can you imagine the mess if they released steam now? LOL

• Like Like x 2
  15. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

The problem is that Adam has absolutely no say as to when patches are released. He seems as frustrated as we are that the work has been done but nobody can use it.

IIRC, at one point it was said obliquely that the real culprit is (again, no surprise) Sony: the Playstation Store only allows a limited number of upload slots. And while that doesn't directly affect PC or XBox, I can't imagine DTG would want to do yet another "Not for you Playstation guys" release!

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. dhekelian

I meant no blame Adam's way. Without Adam the GWE would have been long forgotten about. Whilst I do see what you say about DTG not wishing to upset the PS gamers surely there has to be a point where DTG say we can't stop moving forward on the XBox and PC because sony is holding us back?

I totally get how PS gamers must be feeling but going by the stream the other night where a PS4 gamer was not interested in the slightest about the RD support for the PC do you think if this was the way around and say the PC holding back the PS they would care? I have my doubts.

• Like Like x 1
  17. ARuscoe

DTG made the decision that bar hardware limitations the platforms would all feel and where possible work the same. If Sony is the issue (either through store policies or OS policies) then they deal with Sony and do what they can. They can obviously do multiple releases or updates as they did with the update to 4.26 so maybe they'd need to bunch them?
    I think it's likely more that they want to space things out consistently so their cashflow is also consistent

• Like Like x 1
  18. samuelsampowersamuel

samuelsampowersamuel Member

What's happening with the London commuter route. It's barely unplayable.

19. ARuscoe

Barely UNplayable?

20. samuelsampowersamuel

Unplayable then lol

• Like Like x 1
  21. ARuscoe

Well maybe give some more examples. I've completed many services on BML successfully

• Like Like x 2
  22. samuelsampowersamuel

The frame rate. Terrible. On that diversion line scenario is it? And the framerate in general. Worse than other routes. Idk why it's so bad?

23. fanta1682002

fanta1682002 Well-Known Member

4.26 poor optimization

24. ARuscoe

DTG (Matt) have said there are several issues with regards to memory use and implementation of both in route and off route scenery, so hopefully they're doing something about that particular issue.
    It does seem that they try hard to do more and more but then fall over things that use a buttload of memory or just cause issues.
    Seen comments going back years about "paying for them to learn the system" etc

• Like Like x 2
  25. Michael Newbury

Michael Newbury Well-Known Member

Not sure why you say that this route is unplayable, but I myself also have been able to complete many runs successfully too!.

• Like Like x 1
  26. locobilly

locobilly Well-Known Member

TBH I'm only buying UK routes from now on. DTG is a UK company and I would prefer it if they concentrated more on UK routes and rolling stock. There's so much needs doing still in the UK. There is a big German trainsim out there and they only do German routes.

• Like Like x 2
  27. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

Didnt have 1 crash after spending a Lot of time in the route with all the addons installed.

• Like Like x 1
  28. trainsimgaming1001

trainsimgaming1001 Well-Known Member

Message Retracted by Poster

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  29. junior hornet

junior hornet Well-Known Member

Firstly, the people who update the roadmap and do live streams are not (apart from Adam) the people responsible for fixing bugs. And even then, the streams are out of office hours. heaven help us if Sam starts fixing bugs. :o

Secondly, the comment in your signature about Rivet responding on their forums. Rivet only have very few people posting on their forum. DTG get hundreds of posts a day. Surely, by your own arguments, priority should be given to fixing bugs rather than spending all day on the forum responding to posts.

Other than that, yes I agree that bug fixes must be a priority.

• Like Like x 2
  30. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

I was a little surprised that there wasn't a UK route added, maybe it'll be next time.

My personal guess is that the steam 'first release' won't be the next UK release, considering it's still in planning, however I will be interested to see what happens.

• Like Like x 1
  31. trainsimplayer

trainsimplayer Well-Known Member

We know already that it was decided to make the 313 out of the 314. Considering Cathcart came out in June, the 313 was always going to be a bit later. Then Rush Hour came along and took priority, as well as some things being improved, hence why it dropped back out of upcoming a while back.

Do you want them to make stuff up?
    Why not? It's a form of interaction and communication with the community, it keeps a level of connection between DTG and us.

Plus - with the exception of Adam - the people on the streams aren't responsible for fixing bugs.

The SEHS sound I don't know about, but the PS5 DLC Limit is not a "bug" as you put it- it's a "limitation" imposed by Sony.

• Like Like x 2
  32. drnicktgm#1259

drnicktgm#1259 Well-Known Member

How high is the chance, that a highly requested route gets into the Routemap?

33. SamYeager270

SamYeager270 Well-Known Member

Depends if:
    • DTG think it's different enough from other routes that sufficient people will buy it.
    • DTG have or can realistically get sufficient information on scenery, trains and sounds to produce it.
    • DTG have sufficient resource to create a long enough route within their normal timescales.
    • There aren't other routes that DTG think will be more attractive to their customers.

34. solicitr

Note also that when DTG decide on a route, it may not be the specific route that users have suggested, but rather one which has some aspects of several that users have asked for. I don't recall anyone asking for Cathcart Circle, but there were a lot of requests for Scotland, older EMUs, and networked commuter routes.

35. solicitr

And one more factor: whether DTG can get the necessary license. However much they might want to do any one of several dramatic BNSF routes, it isn't going to happen

• Like Like x 1
  36. UnlimitedMagic

UnlimitedMagic Well-Known Member

Since WCL is out maybe we'll see the next UK route on the next roadmap.
    Fingers crossed

• Like Like x 2
  37. dhekelian

Didn't DTG do the FGW HST 125 but didn't bother enabling it in game which I find strange to be honest.

38. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

They weren‘t allowed to based on the licensing agreement.

• Like Like x 1
  39. jolojonasgames

Yes, First Group wanted the agreement to change last minute (I believe this was said in a stream once). At the point GWE came out First Great Western was in the process of rebranding to GWR and my guess is they didn't want anything to impede the image change. Perhaps by now, with the rebranding being done and succesful, and the HST no longer being their flagship, they'd be willing to reconsider though.

• Like Like x 4
  40. dhekelian

I think I remember something said but couldn't remember so thanks guys for that. And it would be great if DTG were to enable the reskin now. I think the 166 is covered also.

• Like Like x 1
  41. Factor41

Factor41 Well-Known Member

Plus that fact that some of their trains are still in the old livery!

• Like Like x 4
  42. steamfan#1309

steamfan#1309 Well-Known Member

This is what pops up for me when you look up "spirit of steam" (Biden beneath all of the gaming pictures.) 91MPtI8OiQL.jpg I think the first route is the American railroad known as C&O.