Train Sim World 2 - Stupendous Sherman

Discussion in 'Dovetail Live Article Discussion' started by DTG Natster, Nov 18, 2021.

1. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

You have it backwards. The original TSW2020 consists were too heavy for the Spessart Rampe, but they could get away with it with the simpler, less realistic physics.

• Like Like x 1
  2. docsnyder1911

docsnyder1911 Well-Known Member

We had adhesion before too. But not so heavy, that the smallest gradient became a challenge.

Otherwise in the old version of TSW 2020 we would be able to run the trains at NTP with 80 mph.

But you learned the limits of physics in TSW 2020 relatively fast.

3. Dinosbacsi

Dinosbacsi Well-Known Member

I believe we didn't. You couldn't get wheelslip in TSW2020, at worst case scenario your engine simply struggled to move the consist. But you couldn't get wheelslip, neither due to too much power nor too strong braking.

4. breblimator

breblimator Guest

... were not wrong because the old physics was wrong. EDIT and the old HPPT was enough

I remember that because I am with TSW from very beginning :)

BR o7

• Like Like x 1
  5. SHINO BAZ

SHINO BAZ Well-Known Member

One other thing that i just remembered hearing many many years ago is that really large locomotives don't normally make good switchers is because some yards are just to hard for them to maneuver around.But i'm guess most UP yards don't have this issuse.

6. docsnyder1911

There was definitely wheelslip at TSW2020.

The only difference is, that you have more now. Especially at rainy weather

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  7. docsnyder1911

At TSW2020 it was challenging to climb the Spessart ramp too. And you reached comparable speeds like in real.

• Like Like x 1
  8. docsnyder1911

Other thing too:

Yards and stations normally have relatively flat gradients. So you need not so much power.

But there are also big roadswitchers at yardwork. You can watch that for example at Baily Yard.

I can watch diesel Traxxes and Stadler Dual Mode locos everyday at shunting beside the classic 204 and Gravita shunters here in Germany.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2021
  9. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

I don’t think you could call what we had in TSW2020 wheel slip. As wheel slip occurs when you have adhesion simulation which was first integrated in TSW2.

10. docsnyder1911

Wheelslip means, that the wheel is turning and the loco stands still at the same time. And I definitely made that experience in TSW2020 and TSW many times.

11. TSargent

TSargent New Member

Will the route have working and dynamic railroad crossings in the final release build? If they don’t come in the release build, what is the possibility they will be updated post-launch?

• Like Like x 2
  12. docsnyder1911

I think DTG will add it later. When I remember well they have working level crossings for the preserved collection on the roadmap.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TSargent

TSargent New Member

Matt said in the stream Thursday that somebody was working on it that day and it may make its way into the release build.

I don’t understand why this wasn’t working anyway since it’s supposedly an integral part of every new route to have working crossings

• Like Like x 2
  14. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

They are, but we discovered earlier that day that while it'd all been added - a crucial bit of setup info had been missed out so none of them animated and that's what was being worked on before the stream :)

• Like Like x 7
    • Helpful Helpful x 5
  15. appledates#4945

appledates#4945 Well-Known Member

How is it DTG can excite me more often then my girlfriend does? Also 100 car trains! That’s another huge improvement, very happy!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

??? I really do not understand your comment. Running with 100 wagons requires more processing power than 50 wagons, due to the physics simulation, if you system does not have enough processing power you cannot run it. We can have a long discussion on blaming the game for its requirements, but that is what it is, we might equally blame the console hardware for not having enough capacity. It is irrelevant, the point is the two are not compatible, unfortunately and the only thing we may want to discuss is in how far DTG should take older hardware into account? I guess this is much of a commercial discussion. On the one hand you want a fantastic game, on the other hand you need enough people that can afford to play it. This is a constant trade-off DTG needs to make and I think they found somewhere a reasonable balance but it may be easy talking if you would love to play TSW2 but you cannot afford the hardware you need for it.

That is a bit sad, but not something we can change.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Rudolf

Rudolf Well-Known Member

To summarize, they cannot do this within time and budget and had to skip it. Tracks and signalling are completed, but DTG hoped to be able to use the automatied landscape building tools to a larger extend, but that did not work out as they wanted yet. So probably, these tools need a bit more development and might give an opportunity to add the third track. I fully agree it would add a lot to the fun, but so a gas turbine loco and a shunter would do. So I really hope there will be some loco DLC and so on. Steam would not fit very well, because the route is set in present day (personally I think that is a pity as well, I love railway history).

18. Anthony Pecoraro

Anthony Pecoraro Well-Known Member

I saw un untextured one too.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DTG Matt

DTG Matt Executive Producer Staff Member

It wasn't so much untextured, it was a rogue decal which was spraying all over things that were on top of it not just the ground it was intended for. Fixed :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  20. WonterRail

WonterRail Well-Known Member

Now while I think what we saw in the preview stream was promising (even without the majority of track 3) I do want to bring up a two scenic issues I saw around Cheyenne.

Firstly, in an angle they showed of the SD70 right at the start, I could see what appeared to be floating buildings right off in the distance.
    Sherman Hill Floating Buildings_LI.jpg
    The other thing, and something I think is a lot more major, is that I noticed that the buildings that represent the steam shops are missing.
    Sherman Hill Missing Cheyenne Steam Depot.PNG
    This is what they look like for reference.
    [​IMG]
    Now I know that, from what they said about the build they were playing that it may not be entirely final (I remember they we saying that there's suppose to be a board at the top of the highest point that wasn't present in the preview build they were playing on) so whether these buildings will be in the final release build remains to be seen.

Image Source: http://www.altamontpress.com/discussion/read.php?1,75841

• Like Like x 1
    • Helpful Helpful x 1
  21. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, I can certainly understand things no going as planned. I really do hope that DTG will finish track 3 at some point, especially if work has been started on it, I would hate to see that work go to waste. I would be willing to purchase it as a route add on assuming I purchase this route. I'm waiting to hear some reviews first but it is a route I would love to have so I'm hopeful that there are no major problems with it.

The steam shops being missing would be a huge omission almost to the point of offence to railfans interested in steam. I'm also not seeing the tower that is between the roads. Hopefully they will be in the final release. These items are in the TS version of the route.....

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  22. TSargent

TSargent New Member

The yard control tower was shown off in the stream and it looks really good! I wonder if we’ll see freight consists with mid-DPUs?

23. docsnyder1911

I definitely could effort powerful hardware.

I'm to rational or call it economical to buy it totally overpriced like at the moment.

That's why I prefer the 50 car trains like I said before. :)

24. SHINO BAZ

So just where does this track 3 go that makes not having it included lesson the potential train driving experience of what's already there?This route already sounds like it might the longest route dtg currently done.

25. JustWentSouth

JustWentSouth Well-Known Member

There is a great Trains magazine map that Blacknred81 posted on the first page of this thread. Magnify it and read it. It is full of useful information and makes an excellent reference while driving and learning the route. It was also detailed enough to guide me chasing Big Boy in 2019.

Track 3 is just part of the Sherman Hill experience. And it is also an essential alternative to getting heavy westbound trains over the divide. Finally, since it merges in with tracks 1&2 at Hermosa tunnel, it can present some dispatching issues and adverse signals.

I completely get that it couldn’t be included and appreciate the fact that they tried. I will still purchase the route; the excellent horns sealed it for me!

Admittedly, I didn’t spend much time on the western part of track 3 in TS. I am pleased that track 3 features such as the cement plant east of Laramie and Borie cutoff are included. It would be cool to have AI traffic getting on and off track 3. Even better to have it completed and drivable sometime in the future.

• Like Like x 5
  26. SHINO BAZ

Well at least dtg has added at least a some small part of track 3,you would think people would at least appreciate that much,clearly some here already do.

• Like Like x 1
  27. docsnyder1911

Wonderful post. Especially the map, which also explains the background of Buford, Perkins and so on.

• Like Like x 1
  28. SHINO BAZ

Well if dtg decides to add UP's 4014 big boy or 3985 challenger or 844 steam engines this would be the route to add them to.

• Like Like x 2
  29. TSargent

TSargent New Member

So the crossings along the route are now repaired and working? If so that’s awesome and will totally add to the immersion!

• Like Like x 1
  30. StratPlayer62

StratPlayer62 Well-Known Member

Thanks, still haven't had a chance to watch the stream.....

31. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

I hope DTG will make some amazing expansions in Sherman Hill and join the trip to Denver at the same time as the third track.

32. 59321747

59321747 Well-Known Member

Adding a big boy is only a matter of time, but it is too early for them to release the steam. I am not responsible for guessing that the steam locomotive will be released in the summer of 2022. This is the highlight of the 2022 update.

33. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

This is DTG's official statement on Spirit of Steam, it's a route/set of routes, (unknown which at the moment) not a loco pack like Great Western Legends. Also without the turntable at Laramie, or any coal and water facilities, a full timetable ain't gonna be very doable on this version of Sherman Hill..

• Like Like x 1
  34. SHINO BAZ

Well even if steam trains are not added to this route,they should still be useable with senario planner.If you can run electric trains on non Electrified routes steam should work anywhere as well.

35. Mich

Mich Well-Known Member

Technically they should, but it's worth noting that fuel's more of a concern though with steam, a Big Boy hauling at max tonnage needs to make one water stop on the way to Laramie, and it's also gonna be over half way through its coal supply by the time it's arrived. Modern diesels in comparison get refueled once every couple of days, and of course electric locos don't need refueling at all.

36. stujoy

stujoy Well-Known Member

If they have thought carefully about off the rails use then water should magically refill itself when not available along the way, or it has an infinite supply to start with.

• Like Like x 1
  37. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

For freight over Schnellfahrstrecke Leipzig Nürnberg Erfurt those must be made up of container trains using the RRO Wagons and a full train of Habbiins paper roll wagons permitted during the evening except for Schnellfahrstrecke Rhein-Main due to it's Gradients. However the price to go Leipzig Engelsdorf and Halle to Rbf Nürnberg by Schnellfahrstrecke Erfurt Nürnberg is increased by €1.1k from €985 to €2180 Wikipedia quotes a Thungerian Newspaper for that price.

38. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

I say both locos have a second paint job, probably just weatherd look, but i hope its an HU paint job!!

39. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

it does, i hope they fixed that, is it gaurenteed?

40. AtherianKing

AtherianKing Well-Known Member

last Gen consoles will be running with 50 cars
    new Gen consoles will have 100 ish

I have my doubts they will be a fix for this, it is essentially down to the console

41. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

what would a new jen console be?

42. AtherianKing

Xbox series x and Series S
    PS5
    Along with PC

43. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

so not xbox 1?

44. AtherianKing

Correct that counts as last Gen

45. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

W H Y ! !

46. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

would trains still have DPU's and different size containers?

47. AtherianKing

Age and now old hardware

48. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

Doubt it, Matt confirmed in the stream no heritage units for the route.

49. AtherianKing

Im not sure on what a “DPU” is but container shape and colours won’t change between the consoles

• Like Like x 1
  50. alphasquad#7151

alphasquad#7151 Member

Distrubutive power unit