Lod "popping In" Scenery With Ts2022

Discussion in 'Technical Reports' started by markhazeldine, Jan 19, 2022.

1. markhazeldine

markhazeldine Well-Known Member

A short while after upgrading to TS2022, I started noticing that trees seemed to be noticeably "popping in" to view late than previously. Later, I also noticed this was happening with distant buildings. Some skyscrapers in London are not visible and then suddenly appearing much too late. I'm not sure how to go back and verify against the old game now, but the more time goes on, the more I'm sure this is a new thing. I've also watched Alan Thomson's streams on Twitch and he too has mentioned the issue multiple times and said he's going to investigate it. Just thought i'd flag it up and see if anyone else has noticed it?

2. Blazin

Blazin Well-Known Member

Hmm no, I haven't noticed it. The only thing I can think of is that it maybe could be because of your view distance setting? My view distance setting is at max and nothing seems to have been popping in for me.

3. markhazeldine

My view distance setting is, and for a long time has been on max.

4. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The problem occurs when a route has a lot of assets to render all in one go
    WCML South highlighted the problem where passing Wembley sidings the OHLE was not rendering if you were at speed.
    Passing at a lower speed the OHLE has time to build

If it is happening on a lot of routes then it might be something on your computer.
    It could be a Page File Problem - I had that in the past and found what to change
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/out-of-memory-crashes-page-file-problem.22918/
    Same with your Out of Memory problem in another thread

Peter

5. markhazeldine

Peter, I have 32GB RAM, and I checked the page file settings and I have it set to on and with size automatically managed by Windows. I don't think that's the issue. As I say, it seems to have got worse since upgrading to 2022 but it's hard to go back and check now.

6. torfmeister

torfmeister Guest

Sometimes depends on which weather blueprints a scenario uses. Quick Drive uses 3D weather which has less fog that would cover up popping scenery compared to the "2. Cloudy" weather which is probably the most used weather as of my experience, with fog starting at 500 m view distance (gives the blueish distant mountains).

I would definitely advise to follow Peter's page file recommendation.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2022
  7. 749006

749006 Well-Known Member

The link in the thread recommends
    "On the Virtual Memory box, uncheck the Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checkbox."
    For the few mins it would take to try it what harm will it do?
    I had the problem - changed it and now I don't.
    The reason why I posted the thread and DTG thought it was worth making a Sticky

8. triznya.andras

triznya.andras Well-Known Member

There are many little details here.
    I always had scenery popping in, but! Each route is different. It's part of the optimisation game. Some authors were focusing on a nice distant view, relying on fewer objects or simply the user to decide. Other routes come with massive amounts of objects. Some of those are just a couple meters wide, others have short tiles, while some require a GPU from the year 2040.

Packing the route as AP would likely help. Torfmeister has a topic about it recently. I have an SSD that under certain conditions produces a massive 50 KB/s. Yes, fifty kilobytes per second. Reading. Fewer big files help with that for various reasons.