Livery Designer Wishlist

Discussion in 'Creators Club' started by DTG Protagonist, Aug 21, 2020.

1. Andrew Beeman

Andrew Beeman Member

Layer Limit can be bypassed with the layer limit mod. I see why the devs havent added it yet because once you get around 1000 layers it takes a few seconds to register a decal being removed or something being moved, once it begins to move its fine but sometimes you have to wait a few seconds before it responds. But even then it can easily handle over 1000 layers without issue

My biggest thing is just layers I can copy and paste to a different loco/car, remaking the same logo 20 times gets old

It would be cool, for example, The CRR SD40, Which I reskined this myself: 20211111233739_1.jpg

If I could select options to remove equipment, like for example the dynamic brake grid, the side mounted bell, plow etc

Automatic running numbers, where you can specify the range the numbers can go, the text format etc and then place them on the car wherever it whatever font size and type you want

The ability to use any text that is currently installed on your PC and the ability to actually type something out like lets say "2 Inch HF Comp Shoes" and it to apply as a single layer instead of manually selecting 16 letters.

A background that shows it in "Game" the lighting in the editor is much darker than most the lighting in the game

The ability to delete old paint colors from your previous paint selector

Ability to save a certain color for reuse on another car

Numeric projection settings

Ability to name groups

Give reskins a higher resolution, what I mean is when I scale letters down they become garbled, whereas stock in game its perfectly legible, I assume when in livery editor the editable surface area of the rolling stock uses a lower resolution than the actual textures

Ability to import your own custom logos, Its obvious it can be done, and I understand the legal pitfalls of doing such, But it does fall into the category that these are intended for personal use.

The ability for someone to custom create their own decal, for example use Photoshop to make a certain shape they want, import it to the game.

But really the editor isnt bad in its current state, it works well, and if you take your time and learn it, its not terribly difficult to make whatever you want.

I mean I have no big gripes about it, its fun to use! Ive spent too much time on it.
    20211128020737_1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. transport

transport Active Member

On ps5, I believe that was fixed a while ago

3. Farmer_C

Farmer_C Well-Known Member

I have a short history of livery modding on PC (for example Dirt Rally 2.0). I love doing graphics designs. TSW I have had on my console (PS4) for some time, but I haven't bought the game for PC. A couple of weeks ago I decided to test the livery editor in TSW2/PS4, and ever since I've been totally hooked on this tool. I've already done about 10 locomotive liveries and another 10 car/wagon liveries. Although the editor is a great tool, there are certain basic elements that I would like to see introduced, to make it even better. When I saw this thread on the forum I decided to share few of my thoughts and development ideas (although many of the previous commentators have already raised the same points in their posts), just in case the TSW dev team happens to read this thread.

First and foremost, we need mode layers to the editor. 300 is not enough. 600 would be a good starting point, and if the number can be stretched even further than this, even better. The other option is to change the operating logic so that one layer could contain more characters (letters) than just one. Creating logos and textures is very layer consuming and the limit of 300 is reached quite often when the livery is only half-ready.

Secondly, we need more fonts and a 'bold' -tool would be a nice addition as well. Creating different lettering by using the shapes adds up very quickly to 300 layers.

It would be nice, if custom made logos and texts could be either saved or transferred to other locomotives and cars/wagons. It's pretty frustrating to create complex logos and lettering from the scratch every time I decide to change the loco or car/wagon.

The color map needs to be correlated with some standard (HEX, RGB, etc), so that we can pinpoint just the right color (for example DB red), instead of just estimating it with our own best educated guesses. Clear coding would also allow the use of the same color on other locos/cars/wagons.

A specially made 'weathering tool' would be cool, or alternatively, we need more shapes with a gradient in them and more layers. The current shapes are not the easiest ones to be used in creating 'weathering' effects and this takes a lot of layers.

I know that some of the locomotives in the game have a different graphics/data structure, and therefore, they are not available in the livery editor. I understand that transferring these loco templates to a form, which would allow custom livery editing, requires a lot of work from the dev team/coders. Nevertheless, it would be nice if the BR204 were to be available in the livery editor one day.

Finally, it would be really nice, if the scenario editor were to be modified in a way, which would allow the use of several different custom livery cars/wagons and a locomotive at the same time. For example, I could use my custom livery locomotive together with several different cars/wagons, which all have a different custom livery, which I have made.In other words, I could build/compile my own trains just as I wish and I could use as many different custom liveries in the train as I wish.

Are there any news about when the next livery editor version (2.0) will be published? Is there any target date set yet?

• Like Like x 1
  4. bdlhouston#8691

bdlhouston#8691 Well-Known Member

Custom vinyls
    Basically, this would give us the option to make shapes/logos in a different menu , that we could use on different trains and we wouldn't use as much layers on a livery

• Like Like x 2
  5. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

While I'm at it, I would at the very least like a change to the current system of spawning letter shapes centered in both dimensions, rather than placed on a common baseline. Straightening out lines of text can take an absurd amount of time when you're doing "Die Betriebskrankenkasse für Berlin, Brandenburg, Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt und Thüringen"

(Better still, of course, a typable text box with fonts)

• Like Like x 1
  6. PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix

PegasusLeosRailwayFanatix Well-Known Member

They need to give us more tools (such as shape, object, stencil, copy tool like a stamp to stamp the stencil to the other side of the car and other tools, etc to work with for the livery design cause, it just so limited that we can't do much with it, also since we also can't use any picture on the internet due to copyright issue. I really wanted to put a cartoon character on my train but now can't due to copyright problems which really suck :(:(:(:|

• Like Like x 1
  7. Papi

Papi Member

I am reading your post, and I think I will create a Ghostbusters Theme Livery on the loco and cars, but not from a photo, but made by myself :) hiehiehie
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    @Edit...
    Link to Designer Creations where i put complete train F40PH-3C with CTC3 and BTC3 in Ghostbusters Livery :cool:
    https://forums.dovetailgames.com/threads/livery-designer-creations.25311/page-79#post-446765

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

I think you can put copyrighted things on the creators club, and the reason why DTG are saying you cant is to remove the liability from them, after all they never actually told us we could use copyrighted things. And sam has said on stream that if you ask us if you can upload a copyrighted livery "then we have to say no", so i think they want us to upload copyrighted stuff, but if it goes wrong and somebody pursues legal action then they can say that they never told us to do that, if you know what i mean ;)

9. frabjousvector

frabjousvector Well-Known Member

All I really want is a way to stop custom designs automatically appearing on routes. Tried to do a modern Northern Transpennine but it kept showing up in BML or SEHS because those are the routes the trains I used were designed for.

• Like Like x 1
  10. solicitr

solicitr Well-Known Member

I think a key upgrade to LD, or the livery system overall, is to provide a user interface with checkboxes or sliders where you can say "I want these liveries on this route" and "I do not want these liveries on this route."

• Like Like x 5
  11. FrancescoD

FrancescoD Member

100% I agree !!
    This editor is too basic and the fact that no custom signs or logos can be uploaded is not good at all, it doesn't allow to make repaints more realistic.
    Bummer!

• Like Like x 1
  12. FrancescoD

FrancescoD Member

Hello there,
    just wondering if the developers are going to upgrade the livery designer interface? It is great to repaint but this is too basic of an editor.
    My main problem is that you cannot upload anything! No "custom" signs, logos, fonts I mean everything to make models more realistic. Why?
    Also another problem is that you cannot rename layers! So they all have the same name and, depending on the project you are working on, with lots of layers, it becomes very very confusing! Please help!!!!
    Another problem is that you cannot select multiple layers to copy and paste to the next coach or whatever you are going to paste too.
    Does anyone knows if there's anything about updating and upgrading the livery designer soon?
    Please advise if you know something and also please comment if you share my same frustration.
    Thank you in advance.

13. Yoinkermcskoinker

Yoinkermcskoinker Well-Known Member

But you can do that-

Also you are responding to a thread that has not been used for 2 years

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  14. FrancescoD

FrancescoD Member

okay that's great I didn't know, thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  15. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

it would be nice if we could save certain groupings/complex shapes, like logos or pics that we created from simpler shapes... or even save all layers from a loco/power car - so we could recreate a livery... like, the game uses a bit different model I guess of BR403 in Munchen Augsburg and Kassel Wurzburg... and atm you cant use 403 from MAG on KWG... I have like two liveries done for MAG which I cant use in timetable of KWG

in some liveries I created some logos or even simple pictures, flags etc., which are a major pain to recreate if I tried it, so I would really love if I could port those over to different liveries of mine :) or hell, even offer those to others :)

16. spikeyorks

spikeyorks Well-Known Member

If what you are asking is......"Can a full livery be transferred from one version of a model to another?" then the answer is "Yes".
    It takes a bit of work and you need to know about HxD file editting. You also need to have the Livery Manager tool from Raging Lightning to get livery files out of the game and then send the tweaked ones back in again. (I just 'moved' a TEA tanker livery from the NTP version to the PBO version. The only real issue was that I had to ungroup everything to do it).

Have a look at the pinned threads here to get an idea of what is involved.
    • Discord | #tsw-creations | Train Sim Community
    If you go back to the 3rd Feb in the accompanying thread and look for pictures of a bright green tanker then you will see what happened.
    Hope this helps.

• Like Like x 1
  17. razmatus#2517

razmatus#2517 Well-Known Member

not only full livery... like once I did a set of liveries (loco, coach, control car as separate liveries), and I needed old OBB logo for the loco and control car... as simple as it looks IRL, in livery editor it is a pain to do cos of the aligning involved... so it would help me if I could save that complex/grouped shape and use it in the other livery

but yeah also the ICE 3 thing... and dont get me wrong, thanks for the tips, but that is just too much hassle involved... like yeah, I used to do crazy things in the olden days of cracking games to play em illegally :D , but nope :) ... I am a patient man, I am kinda confident they will make sth eventually to make stuff like this doable in a couple simple steps :) or I will just make a different livery for KWG :D

thanks anyway tho :)

18. 5cip

5cip Active Member

the possibility to do liverys on the original coach/locos with the original color and logos and then to modify them.

• Like Like x 1