Is There Even A Point In Route Merging?

Discussion in 'TSW General Discussion' started by CrazyDash, May 5, 2022.

1. CrazyDash

CrazyDash Well-Known Member

I honestly don't see the hype in merging 2 routes if trains in real life don't even run between those 2 routes.

Rhein Ruhr Osten and Ruhr Sieg Nord
    Let's take Rhein Ruhr Osten and Ruhr Sieg Nord for example. Yes. They do connect with each other. But what most people don't understand is that none of the passenger trains run along both routes. RRO sees RB48, RE4, and RE7 regional trains. Then you have the S9, S8, and S5 (depot only) for commuter trains. Meanwhile, RSN only sees RE16 and RB91 passenger trains. As you can see, none of the passenger services intertwine with each other. RB48 doesn't even go to Hagen, RE4 goes north towards Dortmund, and the RE7 goes up to Rheine. The S9 line doesn't go to Hagen, the S8 terminates at Hagen, and the S5 goes up to Dortmund. Meanwhile, on RSN, the RE16 goes up to Essen Hbf when it reaches Hagen, and the RB91 terminates at Hagen. Literally, the only thing that could possibly be intertwined is the freight services. However, the rolling stock used on them are completely different. Now it's possible that some of the freight services from RRO do go onto RSN, but a new timetable would probably have to be put in place to even consider doing that. Overall, it's just completely pointless.

Dresden-Chemnitz and Riesa-Dresden
    Already there is a major problem. The routes are set in 2 different time periods. Riesa-Dresden is set to around modern-day or pre-covid, while Dresden-Chemnitz is set in 2013 (Correct me if I'm wrong) due to the 143 being replaced by the DB BR 1440. This means that the scenery isn't 100% exact in Dresden. Secondly, the night lighting is different on both routes, meaning DTG would have to spend lots of time adjusting the night lighting so that they do not contrast each other. Thirdly, none of the services intertwine since Dresden has terminating platforms. All you would be able to do is walk to trains that run on the other routes.

Brighton Mainline and East Coastway

This is probably the most requested route merge. However, most people do not realize that trains on East Coastway do not run onto the Brighton Mainline via Brighton and vice versa. If DTG really wanted to connect these routes, they would have to include the 10-mile branch line that connects Lewes to Burgess Hill. This is the only route trains take if they travel between East Coastway and Brighton Mainline. East Coastway trains do not terminate at Brighton and then head down to London and vice versa. Trains take this branch line since it reduces travel times. This makes connecting the 2 routes almost pointless unless they add the connection at Lewes. But then at that point, it's more of an extension than a route merge. Just like with the Dresden routes, all you would be able to do is walk from ECW trains and BML trains.

Great Western Express and Bakerloo Line

I honestly don't see the point in connecting these two routes. All it would benefit are people who want to roleplay as passengers. Obviously, no services intertwine with another.

Extensions that could allow routes to be connected
    Many people have wanted to see extensions that would again allow route merging. The most obvious one is extending Southeastern Highspeed to London Victoria. Although many people think this would be cool, if SEHS is connected with BML, it then connects with ECW which would mean hundreds of miles of track are merged together into one route. I highly bet that merging 2 50 miles routes, and a 30 miles route could lead to some major technical issues. Another one I see a lot is extending Haupstrecke Rhein Ruhr and Rhein Ruhr Osten together. Again, this would accomplish almost nothing. The only extension that remotely makes sense is extending the S9 line to Essen Hbf. Although this makes S9 services longer, it still diminishes the point of merging the routes since it then only makes one extra stop after Essen, until breaking off from HRR.

Honestly, all I see this appealing to are people who want to roleplay as passengers or people who want to drive a service from one route and then walk to another train to play a service on another route. There are other things that DTG should be doing before even considering merging routes. I feel like the technical hurdles that this could have would make it not worth it. Now one possible solution is if you were to for say get off of a train from ECW and want to go onto BML, it would despawn you from ECW and put you onto BML. However, if this was to work, the timetables would have to be 100% corresponding to each other. This most likely means that Joe would have to update the timetable on East Coastway to match the timings on Brighton Mainline's timetable. Something like this I think could work and seems a lot more simple than just merging multiple routes together. Now I am all in for extensions of routes, I don't want anyone to think I'm against extensions, but DTG needs to have an actual reason to merge a route instead of doing it just because they connect to each other. Matt also made a lot of good points on the May 3rd roadmap stream about the technical challenges of merging routes. I think he explained it the best way possible. I would much prefer DTG to focus on extensions for routes that badly need them, than merging 2 routes that don't really need an extension. If anything, DTG should be working on new routes as TSW still has a major lack in variety. Germany for the most part is getting there, but the US and UK are still missing various popular trains and locations that should be done. There are also many countries that I would love to see get added to the game. That is what DTG should be spending their development time on other than fixing the game. They need to get the game's variety up to TS's standards. Route merges are just an unnecessary addition with very few benefits compared to an extension or new route in general.

Last edited: May 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 11
  2. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

With the current route selection, there is not much, but a lot of routes could be extended or merged with future routes to other destinations (Bochum - Dortmund, Hagen - Dortmund, Köln - Duisburg are some examples just for the Rhein-Ruhr area).

However, merging and/or extensions are not viable until they fix the save system and the dispatcher. Why run a 3-hour journey that you cannot save or breaks two hours in?

• Like Like x 4
  3. meridian#2659

meridian#2659 Well-Known Member

TSW is more than a "just drive the train" sim/game. You can travel as passenger too and do collectables, messing around in a tmd depot or beeing able to do a lot beside the actual driving experience.

Your question has a point, because the routes now are not made for modular pluging. They improved a lot and there are difficulties to run 2 routes, which have 4 years between their creation.

Merging / pluging is not just about "driving on both routes with the same train". Its a way to enhance things for people want also a gameplay booster.
    And important here is to know that not everbody is into that, so nobody should get forced into buying a big route. If merges / extensions ever gonna happen, the sections should be available as single route dlcs.

Like matt said in the stream, it has to be planned from the begin. Riesa Dresden has another time period than dresden chemnitz, so this wouldnt match, since the scenery around dresden is different.

As example, The bakerloo line never share tracks with the gwr. But for the gameplay enhancement why not making a 5euro dlc, where you can walk the way from gwe paddington into the LU subway station.
    So you have the tickbox on the gwe for pluging them and things are better for the people who like that.

Never heard somebody moaning "back to nokkia 3310" because he only needs to make phone calls.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

I think people are tired of having to drive their high speed trains for 20 minutes and leaving unsatisfied. I love the ICE3 but I also want a longer route so I can run a 40-60 minute service, if I want to. I think that is why people are asking for route extensions. I have both TSC and TSW and I can run longer services in TSC but the graphical quality is very basic and once you play TSW, its hard to go back.

• Like Like x 10
  5. CrazyDash

You’re definitely right about that. Longer high speed runs would be great. Very soon I’m gonna be making a video talking about an extension of HRR to Koln and to Dortmund. That alone is about almost 80 miles and takes about an hour and a half to complete. Now as I mentioned at the end, one solution DTG could do is for example once you reach Koln, you are then asked if you want to continue. If you say yes, you will get kicked out of SKA and get put into Koln-Dortmund. I think that would be a good solution. Now obviously load times will be long on gen 8 consoles, but for gen 9 and PC, it will load the route in seconds and it will hardly hurt the immersion. The timetables however have to be the exact same for a system like this to work. So basically like what you see in some open world games where you go into a new area and unloads the area you were previously in.

• Like Like x 1
  6. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

Good point for freight trains these run to Hagen Vorhalle the Hump yard where RRO trains a split apart then reformed for RSN. If you want to merge HRR with RRO RSN it would be at Hagen Vorhalle & Wetter viaduct. Click on my signature for Hagen-Bochum/Dortmund

7. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

you lost me at...
    Freight is a large part of why some people want to drive trains and to me is better than everything being a "green light express" where you set the speed and listen for anything other than a "ping". Give me something where you have to slow down for something other than a station stop!

I think people are making the case that they should also make that 10 mile connection... and a new timetable but yeah there are people who believe that if there are two routes with a shared station then they should be able to walk from one DLC to the other and drive off. With dynamic DLC loading it's certainly "possible" even if it does only save a few clicks and two loading screens

Agreed

SEHS - VIC would mean making the CML and that's not an extension, more a merge of three routes
    I think you're not correct regarding "2 50 mile routes and a 30 mile route".
    What we're talking about when we're looking at merging is:
    You start a drive at Faversham, your train is going to Victoria, between Faversham and Rochester you are driving the SEHS DLC as normal, to the West of Rochester you bear off the SEHS DLC onto the CML DLC, the game has already worked this out at Rochester and dynamically loads the CML so the map tiles work seamlessly and the train's route was already set anyway

Similarly on a BML drive from Victoria to Ore you drive the BML down to Wivelsfield where your route is set onto the branch. IF the branch exists you drive onto that branch (DLC extension) and off that into Lewes where the game has preloaded the ECW route

In each instance once you're off the specific DLC it offloads out of memory
    This already happens in part within DLC anyway as the routes are loaded in map tiles.

The problem MAY be the signals, as I am sure I have read somewhere that all signals are loaded at game load but I'm also sure there are ways round that

• Like Like x 2
  8. BlaringHorn

BlaringHorn Well-Known Member

I agree I don't see much point in merging the current routes, without some logical "organic" extension. Sharing the same terminus isn't reason enough for merging IMO, if you would still have to change trains to use the other "half". But if it's something where you can continue driving the same train that would make sense. Especially the high-speed services are too short in the game currently, with only 1, max 2 stops currently.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Tank621

Tank621 Well-Known Member

I do think merging is worth it, I certainly like the idea of modular routes. Being able to play 2 or 3 different routes in one session without a single loading screen between them does appeal to me.

At the moment aside from layering the routes we see in the game are very self contained, you load the route and you are confined to a mainline and maybe one or two branches until you exit the session and load something else.

We can't for example run into Brighton from the East Coastway and think, 'oh I fancy a change of pace, I'll go jump on a 387 and run an express up to London' for example. I think it would be nice to arrive at a busy station and be able to jump on which ever train takes my fancy and run its service.

That's probably somewhat unrealistic an idea, but I just find that when I reach my destination, the most boring thing to do is to have no choice but to go back the way you came. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I want to finish a journey and think to myself 'where to next?' rather than 'I guess I'll head back now'.

• Like Like x 5
  10. a.paice

a.paice Well-Known Member

One option is to expand the scenario planner potential.

You can for instance create a scenario that runs the length of RRO and then another that runs the length of RSN. Essentially you’ve created a two-part scenario.

Unfortunately you can’t make your train end and start at the same point in Hagen Station or yard so it is not perfect and breaks the immersion.

If you could use the same platforms and stopping points at the joining location, in this case Hagen, then the transition would be smoother. They could even add an option where it automatically loads your chosen custom scenario after you’ve stopped so you don’t have to go into the menu.

It won’t be perfect but it would avoid the technical issues and maybe scratch an itch for players wanting a longer run.
    Personally I’m not really bothered if a train runs in the location in real life but just want the feeling of doing a decent journey.

11. FD1003

FD1003 Well-Known Member

I don't the think the hype comes from merging current routes - there would be advantages to route merging, mainly a much busier Hagen and Brighton, plus possibilities for shunting in Hagen and a few freight trains.

The main benefit of route merging is the possibility for future routes, a few examples

• SEHS to London Victoria/Charing X
    • The whole Rhein-Ruhr Area connected (i.e. Köln-Wuppertal), most of the german routes are quite close togheter geographically, and a few "TSW-lenght" routes could connect them togheter
    • Finnentrop-Siegen
    • ECW/BML with relative branch that connects the two
    • Route from Eastbourne.
    • Riesa-Leipzig with expansion for RT to the overground section
    Matt himself said that route lenght is not a reason for concern, as things far away are unloaded, and route merging technically can be done, the ""only"" problem being the timetable, another part of the hype is exactly that this wouldn't require any "breakthroughs" in terms of core tech, it is more of a marketing/publishing problem.

Also route mergers is the tech that will not only allow route A to be connected to route B, but it will also be key to extending the route, as route merging is just a "double extensions" if that makes sense.

I wouldn't be surprise to see RRO/RSN together as a "technology demonstrator" it's a straightforward job as you said, as there would be two completely different timetables + a few freight services going through and I expect a lot of shunting in Hagen, once they figure that out they might go to SEHS/Victoria, etc...

They hype is not only about what can be done currently, but the future possibilities as well.

• Like Like x 4
  12. tallboy7648

tallboy7648 Well-Known Member

High speed routes would benefit from mergers. Currently alot of the high speed routes are too short only having 20-30 min services. If they were extended or merged into another route, then it would add alot more value. I do not want to see another high speed route that only has 25-30 min services with only 1 or 2 stops.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Yeah exactly. DTG will say they don't want to force ppl to drive 80 minutes or whatever but their cargo routes which are like 45 miles long do exactly that. Same with Peninsula corridor, End to End run is 60+ minutes. It might not be worth their while to build 120 mile routes but they can always build sections and then sell game packs with merged routes.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Blacknred81

Blacknred81 Well-Known Member

There's definitely no hype from me about route merging, since pretty much none of the Norrth American Routes can do that ATM. (Maybe Harlem Line and the old NEC route via the CSX line, but that's pretty much pointless...)

• Like Like x 1
  15. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

For me, it’s not as much about merging existing, routes as it about making future routes with the ability to do so.

There isn’t, as you said, much option for merging the current set of routes, however we see time and time again that DTG like to release routes in the same geographical region, with similar gameplay, so if DTG were to go forward with openness towards mergers and extensions, we could have some real hope for more immersive and fuller experiences.

• Like Like x 8
  16. Krazy

Krazy Well-Known Member

Just think about the future! Imagine a future where you can start in Grand Central Terminal, and you can ride the Harlem Line, Hudson Line AND the New Haven Line! That would be nuts!

Or perhaps an Amtrak Capital Corridor route merging with the Peninsula Corridor? That would be very unlikely and pointless, but it would be COOL!

Or maybe a big MBTA network in Boston. We have the Providence/Stoughton Line, and perhaps future lines out of South Station could connect to each other. Even the Orange Line could merge with the NEC!

Merging may seem silly NOW, but it unlocks so much potential for the FUTURE!

• Like Like x 3
  17. Disintegration7

Disintegration7 Well-Known Member

Yeah surprised to hear people down on the concept. If future routes are built with a modular design in mind, it seems like the best of both worlds. People who like longer drives get just that as the network expands, but each section is of manageable size to allow for regular, but not rushed, releases. Not to mention more incentive for loco DLC as routes aren't just one-off's left to wither after release.

• Like Like x 5
  18. Mr JMB

Mr JMB Well-Known Member

I liked the discussion about modular routes and even the hints that there were several UK routes built on the same origin making this possible in the future. I wouldn't get hyped about it yet though because it isn't the case that there are enough to merge together yet, Brighton is about the only UK part, there is a missing bit from Victoria to the SEHS route and then you could get a lot going in the SE of England but I would wager that missing part isn't even close to being developed yet. DTG still seem to be spreading routes around in the main and so there aren't that many obvious links.

19. CrazyDash

So I've been reading some of your guys' comments. The main thing I see in this post is that everyone wants longer runs. And I totally agree with you all on that. Except maybe US freight stuff. High-speed runs I 100% agree with. Now, this post was more targeted toward the people who just want 2 routes to merge just because they share a similar station. I've seen lots of requests to merge BML and ECW, Bakerloo and GWE, and RRO and RSN. Those routes really don't need to be merged since no trains run on both routes, except for freight on RRO and RSN. I honestly would be cool with a route merge if you could run the same services on each route. Let's say for example that DTG extends HRR to Koln and Dortmund. Then merging it with Koln-Aachen would be cool. Means longer ICE services, longer RE1 services, and maybe the possibility of adding Thalys high-speed trains to the route. Freight runs could also possibly be longer although I know nothing about the routes German freight trains do. I would be all in for that. I apologize if I sounded like I was completely against any sort of route merges. I just don't want to see route merges for things that would have very little benefit to the actual gameplay.

20. Cyklisten

Cyklisten Well-Known Member

Bakerloo and GWE? Are you kidding me? Different systems not even connected. Now I just can't unsee a HST arriving Baker Street LOL. But BML and ECW would be cool if the connecting line was added. I could happily pay some money.

21. CrazyDash

The only reason people say that is because Bakerloo obviously stops at London Paddington. People want a connection from the underground station to the main station

• Like Like x 2
  22. OldVern

OldVern Well-Known Member

Actually an all stations run from Dresden to Chemnitz is about 90 minutes. Pretty tedious doing from a Dosto cab car!

• Like Like x 1
  23. redrev1917

redrev1917 Well-Known Member

I can't help thinking DTG now thinking about how to merge routes and create modular routes DLC has came about 18 months too late.

The Dresden routes being set in different eras was a spectacular own goal if the long term aim was to create a way to merge routes.

Had they planned correctly on the 2 routes could have been a test bed for a modular based route merging given that only freight would intersect them.

• Like Like x 3
  24. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah this is really where the process needs to change going forward, don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that Chemnitz is set in an earlier period, that’s the only reason we have the 612.

Also, to be honest there’s not much point in merging the 2 routes, other than being able to get off/get on trains to different destinations.

Maybe there are more Saxony routes to come that will go onto the end of either route, after all, TSC has just seen the Riesa - Leipzig extension, maybe we could see that in the next couple of years for TSW.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Well, Atleast its not Peninsula Corridor, amirite? :D

• Like Like x 1
  26. CrazyDash

What’s wrong with peninsula Corridor? Locals take about 1hr 45 mins and express trains take only an hour. I think that’s a reasonable length for a passenger route duration

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  27. Lamplight

Lamplight Well-Known Member

But that wasn’t (isn’t) the long term aim, so it wasn’t an own goal.

28. OldVern

I thought the all stations locals take around two hours end to end on PenCorr (not that I've run one yet).

29. roysto25

roysto25 Well-Known Member

I believe we are all wasting our time looking for route mergers, primarily because of the combined complication of operational era of the route and timetables. Personally, I love the HST and nothing would give greater pleasure than to be able to run Paddington to Cardiff/Swansea. If DTG produced a series of packs for the GWE in stages - say Reading Bristol, Bristol Cardiff, Cardiff Swansea, all set in the same period and therefore with compatible timetable, I'm their man - even better if there is a mechanism so that one stops at Reading (Bristol, Cardiff etc) and can move to the next stage already set up to go on the next leg of the service. Oh yes - we already have that routing possible on TSC - with the added benefit of limited ATP in the AP class 43 pack:)

• Like Like x 2
  30. cloudyskies21

cloudyskies21 Well-Known Member

Regarding BML/ECW, I'd technically disagree. To give an example, Victoria-Eastbourne and/or Ore services should operate by 377s on both routes in game as they do in real life. However, ECW's timetable in TSW 2, for a reason I still can't comprehend, is still completely missing the Victoria services to/from Eastbourne via Lewes. So, add the 9-mile Wivelsfield branch line in (plus the two extra stations), then you'd have a valid reason for an extension.

Moving on, while not popular among some, I hope for more routes around ones we have already to make it really immersive. What makes certain routes better than others, say London Commuter in particular apart from the timetable itself, is the plethora of DLC (375, 465, 166, 66 etc) - in turn giving ample opportunity for a possible merge, say GWE for example, with the North Downs Line.

I think DTG should always, when choosing any future routes, always keep in mind any possibility of merging (and any loco DLC opportunity too). Standalone routes on their own (like LGV) lack variation and replayability.

Totally agree. I did not see any logic for having the same station in different routes spread across another era - I'd be happy for an alternate era, but on a completely separate route. Additionally, I was disappointed with West Cornwall being a different era to GWE, while separate ends of the route, it still rules out any future merge in the very far future.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  31. NateDogg7a

NateDogg7a Well-Known Member

Really, I've been thinking lately that this is what DTG should have been doing all along. For instance, what if they had started with BML. Then, added an integrated ECW as DLC. Then, CML and after that, SEHS. They could have even added GWR from Reigate to Reading and acessed GWE that way. All integrated, but if you're not interested don't buy the DLC; although, I think all of us here would definitely buy all of that because it would probably be great. Along the way, each DLC could also have new features (rush hour passengers, improved skybox, whatever), but that would also apply to the rest of the game as well.
    Of course, you could still have your one-offs (IOW, etc.). And, this makes less sense in some areas, such as North American freight. However, I don't think it's too late, really; integration around London, the NEC, and Germany in general could still happen with some work. Perhaps a new node in the north for SOS? Time will tell, I suppose.

Last edited: May 7, 2022
    • Like Like x 4
  32. Cael

Cael Well-Known Member

It's around 100 minutes, but all-stop run is pretty tedious on a mostly straight and flat line.

33. OldVern

Especially if driving from the cab car!

34. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

As others have mentioned before me, its a pretty straight run. Very little for you to do and in earlier versions, the brakes will trip PCS if you are not careful. Its just generally tedious. TBF, the baby bullet and the MP8 DLCs add a lot of value to the route by offering different experiences.

• Like Like x 2
  35. martschuffing

martschuffing Well-Known Member

Modular would be cool, I would love to see a high-speed route built in this way.

36. breblimator

breblimator Guest

I am in for merging in run8-ish style. There are many many reasons for this to be good. BR

• Like Like x 3
  37. bpbill96

bpbill96 New Member

Although it's never going to happen an ECW/BML merger would be a nice idea, with the missing line via Plumpton included obviously. Apart from being able to do the Victoria to Ore/Seaford services we could simulate the once a year London to Falmer via Lewes service and there would be better options for a railtour service.

then we could also get the extension from Eastbourne to Ore and the missing triangle for Hove :)

• Like Like x 1
  38. DTG JD

DTG JD Director of Community Staff Member

Just jumping into this thread (which has some really good discussion on it, thank you), with some 'managing expectations' chat. Understand lots of people are excited.

Worth checking the Roadmap section on this if you haven't already, as we go into the technical challenges associated with Extensions, Merging, and Modular routes.

(1:30:48 in the Roadmap stream)

TL;DW - If we were to take something like this on, it'd likely be an 'Extension' first - as routes at present haven't been built with merging in mind, and the timetabling, in particular, would be a huge undertaking. Longer-term, a modular approach makes the most sense. I think we're a significant way off that yet though, and no work has currently been done even scoping if this is a viable option.

• Like Like x 7
  39. Mattty May

Mattty May Guest

The possibility of an entire WCML or ECML in the future would be fantastic. It could be planned from the outset as one massive route and then split into manageable, meaningful segments so that consumers can buy any bit they want or every bit for a complete experience. This might be why we haven’t seen anything related to either route yet as these are definite candidates for an extension/merger opportunity.

I’m not expecting anything mind you, but the possibility is definitely there.

• Like Like x 6
  40. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

You'd have to make your timetables to be modular too... not sure what format the current timetables are in but that would be a necessary first step

• Like Like x 2
  41. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I think that with DTG's tendency to do routes for TSW that they already know very well from TS in mind, the new Riesa - Leipzig extension to Dresden - Riesa in TS could make sense as a first route extension/merger for TSW. Dresden - Riesa sold well (as far as I have heard) and is widely regarded as one of the better routes in-game, so there would already be a considerable amount of people that could be interested in this.

Funilly enough I proposed this route for TSW, also including the ICE-T (as a way to link Dresden - Riesa and Rapid Transit, while also giving Rapid Transit acces to the much requested upper platforms at Leipzig Hbf) long before it was even announced for TS, was DTG watching? ;)

I do think that route extensions in the form of stand alone routes that could be put together in a modular fashion (thus allowing for separate sale of the routes for players that are only interested in a specific section) is very much preferable to route extensions that bolt onto a route and neccesitate the ownership of that original route to be played. I for one would be really interested in seeing some routes merged/extended, such as linking up some of the Ruhr Area routes (like SKA and RRO via a new Köln - Wuppertal route) or other routes in game, even if there are only few or pretty much no (passenger) services that span across all the linked routes. I also think that it would be within the bounds of realism to create freight services that do span entire linked route networks, due to freight services sometimes having quite dynamic service patterns in real life. I once made a list of routes that could be extended, joined or merged (mostly by adding in 'linking routes' that fill in the gap between the two or more routes). This list also suggests loco packs to come with the mergers, but one may forget that and simply look at the possible route mergers for the relevance to this thread.

I really do feel route mergers (combined with a better save function) are high up wishlist, and would create a maze of routes, spurs, large and small junction stations and traffic hubs with many different services of all types in which you could lose yourself for hours.

Last edited: May 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
  42. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

I really do hope that we get the Leipzig extension, it’ll be great to be able to run an RE service end to end finally.

Also the ICE TD coming in would be great too, along with the Leipzig S Bahn, upto todays standards of development.

• Like Like x 2
  43. Clumsy Pacer

Clumsy Pacer Well-Known Member

It doesn't, though. There's nothing really stopping someone making that part of the Cornish Main Line in a different era as part of a wider DLC. Anyway, I believe they mentioned on stream that the main reason Cornwall is set in the 90s is because GWR refused the license - if so, that'd actually make GWE the outlier.

44. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Besides that, that would be one hell of a route to fully accomplish, that would probably take a few years and multiple DLC’s to complete.

I think more likely candidates would be the likes of Dresden - Riesa - Leipzig, SEHS - STP - Strood - Maidstone, or Faversham to Margate etc.

45. Clumsy Pacer

I think Dresden - Reisa - Leipzig, Hagen - Finnentrop - Siegen, or Paddington - Reading - Newbury/Bedwyn are most likely at this point.

46. CowBoyWolf

CowBoyWolf Well-Known Member

Think you forgot Wuppertal?

47. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Wuppertal would need to go the opposite direction, there’s no through passenger traffic from Wuppertal to Finnentrop & beyond.

48. Clumsy Pacer

Yeah, what CK said, but also because Hagen - Finnentrop is called "Ruhr Seig Nord", not entirely a stretch to say that they'll at some point do Finnentrop - Seigen, called "Ruhr Seig Süd"; be a pretty strong case to connect them.

• Like Like x 1
  49. Ravi

Ravi Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the Rapid Transit route is unsalvageable at this point. The preservation crew has done their best but it still is not upto stuff. If they do want to include that, they would have to rebuild a lot of it.

50. CK95

CK95 Well-Known Member

Yeah I suspect that any new route that would include the section won’t port any changes over to RT, instead we would more likely see a smaller S-Bahn section of RT, within the new route, which would probably be a much better version of RT, albeit shorter.

I also doubt we’ll see this one for a while, I don’t think the last gen consoles will be too pleased with such an exhaustive route, at least not if it’s merged with DRA.